Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Border Blues, VDB, Windy City Views and More (Tour of Duty 21 June to 10 June 2006)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Border Blues, VDB, Windy City Views and More (Tour of Duty 21 June to 10 June 2006)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Border Blues, VDB, Windy City Views and More (Tour of Duty 21 June to 10 July 2006)

Got word from one of the companies I contract with that there is a truck that needed to be moved from Dixon, CA to Surrey, BC; I took it since the truck in the Milwaukee area was not yet ready. I booked a ticket on Southwest, got a shuttle lined up to SNA, checked in online and got an "A" Boarding Pass printed and off I went.

Upon arrival at SNA I checked in and then there was a line for ID check at security. The line went fairly quick and I did not get selected for secondary.

Southwest #1977 SNA-SMF B-737-700 Seat 12A Exit Row Cruising altitude 40,000' Estimated flying time 1:03, actual 1:07 Scheduled departure 10h45, actual 10h43 Scheduled arrival 12h05, actual 11h59 Ticket cost: $124.80

Only 35 passengers and 5 crew were on board and pushback was 2 minutes early. Taxi/hold was 5 minutes followed by takeoff over the ocean. I did not pay a whole lot of attention to the scenery though I noticed the San Joaquin Valley on the left (where I was seated) and Sierra Nevada mountains on the right. There was one drink run and I did not get the whole can and later peanuts and pretzels were offered. Descent started at 0:39 and I saw the Delta. It was bumpy on approach and windy on landing which was south to north. Taxi was 3 minutes and we arrived 6 minutes early. My bags beat me to baggage claim and I got a shuttle to the shipper.

Trip: Dixon, CA to Surrey, BC 900 paid miles Routes: Interstate 80 to California 113 to Interstate 5 to Washington 542 to Washington 9 to British Columbia 11 to British Columbia 1 (Trans Canada Highway) to British Columbia 15

This truck had good air conditioning for which I was thankful since it was hot in Sacramento and very hot in Redding. As I progressed north into Oregon it cooled off but was still quite warm and by the time I entered Washington the weather was near perfect.

Layover in Washington

I made arrangements to make an after hours delivery on a Saturday but learned the broker was not going to be available for the weekend so I ended up staying in Washington. I met some friends and we did some street preaching at a parade that Sunday then I was taken to the Sunday evening service at Bible Baptist Church in Everett, WA.

Border Blues

On Monday I proceeded to Sumas, WA and prepared to cross into British Columbia but was told that I needed to take the title and get clearance from US Customs before proceeding into Canada. I checked the paperwork and no title. To make a long story short I brought all the paperwork to US Customs and was told I needed a title or Manufacturers Certificate of Origin and I had neither so I could not cross and ended up laying over a night in Sumas, WA.

Next day I phoned the company and was told that because the truck was new it was not titled and paperwork was faxed to US Customs well in advance (at least 72 hours was required) so I went back to US Customs and informed the agent of those facts and ended up being told that they could not stamp anything but go ahead into Canada anyway.

I crossed into Canada and instead of presenting paperwork to someone at a booth I saw a sign directing me to park and go inside so I did. I gave paperwork to an agent and when asked for ID produced my passport and she took it and checked and came back and asked me if I had problems crossing the border in the past so I said I did and briefly explained. I was directed to Immigration and the agent there admitted me only after phoning the company for verification. There was some question at that point what would happen next after I completed delivery; I thought I might fly to Toronto for a short run Baltimore or one of the Great Lakes states. By this time I learned that the truck from the Milwaukee area to Oregon would be ready on Friday.

I did not spend much time at the broker and was cleared to proceed and the drive in Canada consumed more time than expected due to a large number of traffic lights once I exited the Trans Canada Highway. I made delivery and was told that flights to Toronto were too expensive so I ended up taking a cab to the Campbell River Store and I caught the Quick Shuttle to Seattle/Tacoma Airport. I ended up spending about five hours in Canada.

Back in the USA

It was a very short ride back to the border and US Customs in Blaine, WA. Along with all the other passengers I took all my carry-ons and claimed my checked bags and got in line for processing. I was fourth in line. All my bags went through some sort of scanner and an agent wanted to see what was in one end of one of my bags...turned out to be vitamins that I take. I was back in the USA and after what seemed to be a long ride and stops in Bellingham, Everett and downtown Seattle we arrived at Seattle/Tacoma airport.

Accident

I dialed a motel and courtesy van came and picked me up. The drivers cell phone rang and he asked me if I minded if he went around and picked up another guest. I said OK and he went around and pulled over but did not see the guest so he pulled out and hit a van from another hotel. No one was hurt; it was just a fender bender but the drivers had to exchange information and phone their bosses and then I was taken to the motel for the night.

Travel Details

I needed to get to Milwaukee but some airlines were either sold out and Northwest had a coach seat for one way from Seattle to Milwaukee at over $1,200. I ended up booking a ticket on Southwest to Chicago Midway and grabbed the last seat for the 28th and 29th of June and made reservations for a rental car to Wisconsin.

After a short nights rest I got the shuttle to SEA and checked in and checked bags with the skycap and got a "C" boarding pass. I cleared security and did not get selected for secondary screening.

Southwest #202 SEA-MDW B-737-700 Scheduled departure 8h40 Scheduled arrival 14h25 Ticket cost: $270.30

I did not look forward to being stuck in a middle seat so I was glad to be able to get in the front of the "C" line. A short while later I heard an announcement that the flight was overbooked and two volunteers were needed. I heard the announcement again and walked over to the counter and since it was only Wednesday and the truck would not be ready until Friday, I volunteered. I got a voucher for the ticket value plus $200 for total of $470.30 and was put on a flight to Las Vegas followed by a flight to Chicago and got "B" and "A" boarding passes for those flights.

Southwest #2141 SEA-LAS B-737-300 Seat 21F Cruising altitude 33,000' Estimated flying time not given; gate to gate estimate was 2:25. Actual flying time 2:07 Scheduled departure 11h20, actual 11h20. Scheduled arrival 13h45, actual 13h38

There were 119 passengers and 5 crew on board and I had an empty middle seat next to me. Pushback right on time and taxi was 8 minutes followed by takeoff to the south. I saw Tacoma area then a turn more southeast and saw Mt. St. Helens, the Columbia River then Mt. Hood. After that it was clouds almost all the rest of the way. Peanuts and cheese nips were offered. There was a drink run then I was offered more later. There were some bumps en route and descent started at 1:47. We broke out of the clouds in the vicinity of LAS and doubled back to land east-west. Taxi was 2 minutes and we arrived 7 minutes early.

Southwest #2966 LAS-MDW B-737-700 Seat 12F Exit Row Cruising Altitude 39,000' Estimated flying time 3:05, actual 3:10 Scheduled departure 15h45, actual 16h03 Scheduled arrival 21h20, actual 21h28

After a layover of two hours we boarded a little late and there were maybe 3 or 4 empty middle seats which made for a crowded flight. Some people boarded after scheduled departure time. Pushback was 18 minutes late and taxi was 10 minutes followed by takeoff to west then turn south and northeast. I saw Lake Mead, parts of the Grand Canyon then clouds and it was bumpy on climb.

A snack pack was passed out consisting of Oreo wafers, Ritz crackers with cheese and dried fruit. There was a drink run (I did not get whole can) though more was offered later and there was a water run not long before landing. Descent started at 2:43 and we made turns and landed NE-SW. Taxi was 5 minutes and we arrived 8 minutes late. It was dry when we landed and pulled up to the gate but when it was my turn to deplane it was pouring rain.

I ended up going to baggage service and was told where my bags were sitting outside. I thought that was poor security as anyone could have walked away with my bags! I got the bags and got rental car and it quit raining by the time I drove out of the airport though I saw some spectacular lightning. The Motel 6 was sold out so I grabbed a room at Holiday Inn and ended up paying about twice the rate of the Motel 6.

Windy City Views

Since the truck was not going to be ready until Friday I decided to do a little sightseeing and went into downtown Chicago. I was taken aback by Wacker Avenue being both above and underground but finally found my way to the garage across from the Sears Tower and parked there. I got a ticket for the Skydeck which cost $11.95, saw a short film that gave the history of the Sears Tower and then took the lift up to the 103rd floor observation level.
I was rewarded with views of the Chicago area and Lake Michigan. I saw the other Chicago skyscrapers and felt the $11.95 was well worth it and took numerous pictures of the views from all directions. Parking at the garage ended up costing $26.00. Afterward I got on the northbound Interstate 94 and traffic was jammed as many people started their holiday weekend early.

I saw some of downtown Milwaukee Thursday evening and Friday morning before turning in the rental car and being taken to the shipper. The truck I was waiting so long for was finally ready!

I met another driver and we were driven to another location where the trucks were. The person who drove us had trouble finding the place and that wasted the best part of an hour. I found out the truck had almost no fuel so we were fortunate that there was a filling station with diesel fuel down the street.

Trip: New Berlin, WI to Spokane, WA Original intended destination: Albany, OR Final intended destination: Portland, OR 1,691 actual miles Routes: Interstate 94 to Interstate 694 back to Interstate 94 to Interstate 90

I was glad this truck had good air conditioning. Traffic was heavy heading toward Madison thanks to the upcoming holiday weekend. I spent the first night of the trip in Mauston, WI and the next morning there was a brief thunderstorm which ended before I was ready to proceed. I attended Sunday morning church at Calvary Baptist in Valley City, ND and afterward saw the Hi-Line Bridge. Sunday evening I attended Open Door Baptist in Bismarck, ND and heard girls give a report about a short-term mission trip to Poland. Afterward I caught the edge of a storm and later saw a thunderhead with a rainbow sticking out. Sunset was late in west-central North Dakota about 21h45 and I spent a night at a Bed and Breakfast in Glen Ullin, ND. Following day I entered Montana and saw another rainbow east of Billings.

On the Fourth of July I saw a spectacular sunset in Missoula, MT followed by fireworks all around the Missoula area. It was warm and got up to 95F/35C in Missoula.Following day there was rain just east of Lookout Pass and then more rain west of Wallace, ID. I stopped at a truckstop in Smelterville, ID (just west of Kellogg). Upon returning to the truck I noticed a lot of fluid underneath and after checking determined there was a very serious transmission fluid leak. I ended up spending the night at the hotel the truckstop had in Smelterville, ID and was disapponted that the television was not working and there were few amenities in the room. Following day the truck was towed over 70 miles to a shop in Spokane, WA and there was rain en route. Since the truck was not going to be fixed that day the company told me to end the trip there and the next truck was in the Portland area. I got all my things out of the truck, had a shop worker sign a paper and I had to sign a paper as well. Then I was taken to Spokane Airport where I got in line and stood in line at Southwest. I asked for the next flight to Portland and was told there was one in a little over a half hour and another one in over two hours. I checked my bags and was told I could stand by for the earlier flight if I got through security in time. I cleared security and there was no secondary screening.

I stood by for the earlier flight and there were seats so I got a "C" boarding pass. Finally boarding was called.

Southwest #963 GEG-PDX B-737-300 Seat 22F Cruising altitude 32,000' Estimated flying time not given; gate-to-gate estimate 1:00. Actual flying time 0:45 Scheduled departure 15h15, actual 15h27 Scheduled arrival 16h15, actual 16h21 Cost of ticket: $104.30

There were at least 123 passengers and 5 crew on this flight and the middle seat next to me was empty. Pushback was 12 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 7 minutes and takeoff to west. One drink run, SSSFSF. I saw the Columbia River in Washington and a dam and later Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. Descent started at 0:24 and I saw the Columbia River between WA and OR. We broke through the clouds and landed east to west. Taxi was one minute and we arrived 6 minutes late.

Following day I grabbed a cab to Tigard and picked up the truck, rang ODOT which faxed a fuel permit to me and I was on my way.

Trip: Tigard, OR to Ontario, CA 999 paid miles Routes: Oregon 217 to Interstate 5 to California 120 to California 99 to California 58 to US395 to Interstate 15.

It was warm but comfortable in Oregon when I got the truck. I spent the first night in Grants Pass and the second night in West Sacramento. I attended morning church at Great Valley Baptist in Stockton, CA. It got hotter as I proceeded south. It got up to 107F in Fresno and 105F in Bakersfield. On Monday I delivered the truck and took a rental car home.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 12, 2006 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC.SE
These reports are oddly compelling--keep 'em coming.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:42 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
As always, nice report ^

Is travel between US and Canada always such a hassle? I seem to remember you having some difficulties on a previous trip as well.
Has it become more difficult post-9/11? Crossing is a passenger car certainly has.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by g_leyser
As always, nice report ^

Is travel between US and Canada always such a hassle?

Not always. There have been times when I pull up to the booth and hold up my passport and the person sees I am a US citizen and lets me through without doing any computer search.

I seem to remember you having some difficulties on a previous trip as well.

My latest hassle almost certainly came about from me being bounced at the border on 11th January. At the port of entry I used I was not able to just pull up to the booth; I had to park and go inside. The person in customs took my passport and apparently did some sort of search on the computer and my name is no doubt in their computer system now.

Has it become more difficult post-9/11?

Can't say for sure one way or the other.

Crossing is a passenger car certainly has.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Great report thanks
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Are you welcomed when you visit the churches on Wednesday nights and Sundays? Have you visited the same one more than once in your travels?

Thank you for your awesome reports!

ab53
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
Are you welcomed when you visit the churches on Wednesday nights and Sundays? Have you visited the same one more than once in your travels?

Thank you for your awesome reports!

ab53
Yes and yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.