Wiki Posts
Search

NW Plat but CO newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former NW Plat, now everybody's nobody, still have Gold w/ Marriot
NW Plat but CO newbie

Thought I'd pass along my impressions of a recent trip on CO. As a NW PE, I feel like I know what to expect on NW or NW/KLM trips, however this was my first trip on CO in over a decade and the first as any form of Elite. Most CO regulars will view this as old news but like I titled it, I'm a newbie at CO.

I flew GRR-EWR-LIS over, LIS-EWR-CLE-GRR return. Corp travel could have routed me on NW through AMS, but I was enticed with the short direct flight into LIS and the early arrival (8:15 local) which meant I could leave a day later and still get to business appointments that day. Score one for direct flights on thin routes. My NW FF# was put on the tik and on the CO website I was able to select premium seats, score another for partner recognition. Check in had a similar eKiosk feel to it. I liked the ability to purchase CO currency knowing that the TA flight was "dry" - also got the big "Elite Access" printed across the BP, score more. The GRR-EWR is a rj so no news there. In EWR, I got the chance to go to the Presidents Club. Nice. Big, spacious, new, similar snacks, but... a live bartender! Score again.
Boarding, I got to walk across the infamous Blue Carpet we hear so much about. Amazing in that it really does feel different being separated from the masses. The flight across was a 757, the RR powered, Winglet tipped equip they use on these thin routes. It was a weird feeling going across on such a small plane, but otherwise, like any other flight. I couldn't help but notice how the plane looked new and clean compared to the domestic flights I'm used to - score another. Seats are the newer style that reminded me of the ones on the 330's. FA staff was pleasant, coach meal about equal to NW, although the meal cart was bizzare with the stack on trays and tables. If there's one thing I missed, it was the AVOD on the 330's. Oh, and if you bring your own headphones, it's the dual plug style (I didn't know and brought my adapter just in case). And yes, I used some of the CO currency on the way over.
For the return, much the same. Check-in I was able to use the Business Class line, had one staff person ask if I was business, and was assured I was ok since I was elite. Appreciate the polite policing of the lines - score another. Also got the priority bag tags, but like NW, didn't really see that it did anything. Flight arrived early in EWR, cleared customs and was surprised to see that you're dumped out into the street - I guess I'm used to the rescreening in the basement at DTW. Again had time to visit the PC in EWR before heading off on the EWR to CLE leg. Love the bartender, it definitely adds a nice touch to the operation. The 737 from EWR to CLE again gave the appearance of being new and very clean, such a contrast from NW. Unfortunately, I did not get the bump so I can't compare the FC.

Now the twist to the trip report, while I was there, I had my daughter come over as well for a week. She was flying on one of my award tickets (PerkPass over/Perksave back) and went the same flights I did. Her tickets printed out elite access, which was nice for her although not real. Must be a computer thing having been drawn on my account. Her flight GRR to EWR was delayed allegedly due to weather, they pulled away from the gate at a time that would have made it to EWR in time but as it turns out, was only to allow an inbound flight to use the gate. After a spell on the tarmac, they took off only to arrive about 5 min. after EWR-LIS departed. She relayed how at the service desk it was a real zoo that night as GAs and passengers were all yelling at each other. We talked by phone and I suggested some alternate flights still leaving that night that she could connect on to get into LIS later the next day (i.e. EWR-CDG,CDG-LIS). No go. I called the NW elite line, they couldn't get her on another flight as well. Did the call twice routine and same answer so the other flights must really have been full. She was being told that she was rebooked the next day but hotel was her cost. In talking to the NW elite line,they were surprised it was being cited as "weather" as they were not aware of it. I guess the one thing missing on these partner line relationships is the Elite services. I got to thinking if it had been me, I was on a CO ticket so the NW Elite line would do squat for me and I don't have a CO elite number to call. I would be nice if there was a "Skyteam" elite services number for situations like that. Anyhow, she did make it ok the next day and all was well from then on.

Anyhow, I hope my insights are useful. It's likely ho-hum to many of you, but I thought the contrast was interesting.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Personally, I'd love to see more quick and to-the-point TRs like yours (and unlike mine!), thanks for sharing.

Interesting about the elite access on the award ticket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.