Search

World Record 6 Full Movies in one LEG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
World Record 6 Full Movies in one LEG

All,

You all will be delighted to know that I have set the world record for AVOD by watching six FULL movies and two 30 minute TV comedies in one leg. Yes, one leg!!

(Note to Admin: I am sure you are stunned by this and want to make this a sticky and rename this board the Panjabi CX Board, but out of immense humility I must kindly decline)

Anyhoo, here are the six movies I watched:

1. My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Fantastic Movie
2. Walk the Line: Rather depressing but worthy of the Oscars it got
3. Shop Girl: What a DELIGHT! Great Movie.
4. Prime: Good Idea, Badly Executed. Ending was nice though
5. Zathura: Cute Kids flick. Nicely done
6. Ramji Londonwalle: Hindi Flick: Oh Gosh. Very mediocre.

Also saw 2 episodes of Little Britain (rather "shocking")

So, my question, dear readers: Has anyone else come close? And I mean full movies: no FF>>

My goal was to avoid sleep in the HKG-LAX leg as I wanted to avoid jetlag. So my AVOD was on, as soon as AVOD came on and was switched off barely 10 minutes before we were asked to switch it off.

My goal now is to beat my record. In June I will do LAX-HKG and since I will have two extra hours on that leg, I intend to watch 7 movies.

BTW, I was in J in 87A. Not a bad seat. My seat partner was this very quiet Hong Kong girl so I was real happy to have a quiet journey.

Food was boring. CX needs to have a better Larder. BA does a great larder with Toberlone etc. The Sandwich I ordered between meal services was basically bread with nothing inbetween.

Thanks,

Panjabi
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Well I'm impressed. I certainly couldn't stand 7 movies straight through. My congratulations to you.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Well I'm impressed. I certainly couldn't stand 7 movies straight through. My congratulations to you.
Thank you FS2. I am stunned and humbled by this world record. I have so many people to thank. First my parents, then my wife, then Harrison Ford who showed me that movies could be fun, then Actress Rachel Adams for being pretty.... (the band starts the music to stop the speech)...... thank you all!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I am in awe. This is the most incredible thing anyone has ever done...ever.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I am in awe. This is the most incredible thing anyone has ever done...ever.
Thunder,

I agree. Today I was talking to some loser and he was like "I am going to cure cancer and I will be famous" and I was like "Pfft! PUHLEAZE.. like anyone cares about that!" Some people! They will do anything to get noticed. Curing cancer! What next? Solving World Hunger???
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Which day and which flight were u on?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

I was on 882, the daytime flight.

Quick trip report:

Had a pretty normal boarding in Hong Kong. Got in pretty early and got comfortable.

Wouldn't you know it, there were two jackxxxxs (Admin: sorry for the language but that is what they were) who were at the Wing freaking DRINKING and did not make it to the plane. So finally at departure time the pilot (some English chap named Nigel) comes on and says that they are still paging those pax and will commence off-loading their bags. The CX ground crew is called and they arrive in 10 minutes. Apparently it takes them another 10 minutes to find their luggage in the hold (Dont ask me the technical reasons why. I am just reporting what the Captain and then the Purser said). Finally as they are about to unload the bags the two SxBs show up. Holy Cow! If it had been me, I would have thrown them on their sorry butts and fined them for delaying the flight. Apparently announcements had been going on non-stop for these jokers in the two lounges and these guys ignored it. These guys finally show up on board 15 or so minutes late!!! By the time the ground crew finally got off and the plane left the gate, we were nearly 40 minutes late. Now, I can understand being late for mechanical, weather, take off spot etc. But drunk pax?? Darn them all to heck!!! These kinds of Pax are outrageous.

This is my second incident of this type in less than 10 days. On the 10th on a flight from HKG to DEL I arrived in my seat to find this Indian gentleman sitting in my seat. I told him it was my seat. He said no, it was his and I should go and check again. I had the boarding card in my hand and asked him to show his. He said he could not find it. Rather than argue I called the purser. At this time he, without a word, picked up his stuff and went to the row ahead. Weird. Then about 5 minutes later he moved again. I assumed that he had again been found out by another pax. Finally it is departure time and the Captain comes on and says we are missing a pax in Bix and have an extra pax in Coach (yes, the FAs do really count. And they count really well). So he asks, will the pax who is now sitting in Coach move back to J. 20 freaking minutes pass with him making the annoucments (as well as the Purser) and nothing. Finally they get all the FAs to go through the entire almost full 777-300 (what is it, about 350 pax) to do a hand check of all boarding cards. Well. Guess what, some pax have put the boarding cards in their hand bags and put it in the storage bins. So now this proceeds extremely slowly. Another 15 minutes later, when it is almost finished in Coach a gentleman, the very same FREAK, who was in my seat comes walking up as if nothing has happened and sits again in the row in front of me.

The purser sees this and comes running. Now remember these are CX pursers. They are taught from birth to be polite. On top of it this is a Biz pax. So the CX purser is basically struggling to break through his years of training. Finally he manages to say "Sir, we have all been looking for you. Where were you?" The guy does not reply. Then the purser tells the captain and he gets on the PA and he rips this guy a new one (in a very British way of course). And you know what? This guy spent the entire flight pretending nothing had happened. We landed about 25 minutes late at DEL thanks to this joker. All the people who had been holding their comments started lashing out at him in the Immigration line. He just grinned as if it was just one big joke. .... Jeez.

Anyone else on these two flights?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 20, 2006 at 6:34 pm Reason: Colourful words not allowed!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:44 pm
Suspended

congrats, i always try but end up falling asleep after 3
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by panjabi

(Note to Admin: I am sure you are stunned by this and want to make this a sticky and rename this board the Panjabi CX Board, but out of immense humility I must kindly decline)

Actually , I'll do one better and move you to TRIP REPORTS as you are challenging someone else to do one better than you! Perhaps 7 movies on a competing airline?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
6 movies... Amazing! I can't even watch one movie for more than 45 minutes before I need to take a break. It's rare these days that a movie grabs my attention enough such that I would watch it in one sitting.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Actually , I'll do one better and move you to TRIP REPORTS as you are challenging someone else to do one better than you! Perhaps 7 movies on a competing airline?
Competing Airline? Pfft! Only if they have a great AVOD system. And I am pretty sure my world record will stand as I dont think anyone else will have the patience or be able to withstand the eyestrain to watch 7 movies. For the record I think my eyes are still a bit blurry!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:24 pm

Remember that some movies can be significantly longer than others, so a challenge would only work if it were done in weight classes.

Welterweight: All movies between 75-95 minutes
Middleweight: All movies between 95-120 minutes
Heavyweight: All movies over 120 minutes

There are some major time differences, as evidenced by Singapore Air's AVOD listing for March:
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...t/movies/1.jsp

Someone could watch heavyweight movies like Harry Potter (138 minutes) and Rent (135 minutes), while someone else challenges the record with lightweight fare like Aeon Flux (90 minutes) Chicken Little (a paltry 81 minutes),
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Little Miss Redbeard once watched the same movie five times in a row (Freaky Friday) on an SFO-HKG flight.

United offers an ORD-HKG flight that would offer more movie time. Alas, not VOD.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave_261
Remember that some movies can be significantly longer than others, so a challenge would only work if it were done in weight classes.

Welterweight: All movies between 75-95 minutes
Middleweight: All movies between 95-120 minutes
Heavyweight: All movies over 120 minutes

There are some major time differences, as evidenced by Singapore Air's AVOD listing for March:
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...t/movies/1.jsp

Someone could watch heavyweight movies like Harry Potter (138 minutes) and Rent (135 minutes), while someone else challenges the record with lightweight fare like Aeon Flux (90 minutes) Chicken Little (a paltry 81 minutes),

Excellent point that I thought about too. Five of my movies (the English ones) were all unedited. The Indian movie was edited down from 180 to 120+ minutes. Thank the Lord for that. It was a terrible movie.

So, someone can look up the total times in IMDB.com and define the time in my world record.

Last edited by panjabi; Mar 21, 2006 at 3:59 pm
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
panjabi, very impressive, CX should name one of their aircrafts B-PAN in your honor. How did you manage that with the constant interruptions on the PA in three (or four) languages, with an annoying pause between each of the languages? Didn't that eat substantially into your viewing time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.