Search

Cdg-sin Sq C

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Cdg-sin Sq C

Check-in

Check-in was very efficient at CDG1. Two people ahead of me at Raffles check-in and I waited no more than 5 minutes. Check-in is handled by Swissport who were most professional. They explained to me that my waitlisted 17A had not cleared but that my confirmed 17C was very comfortable.

The station manager for SQ was in the check-in area and greeted old customers - like myself - with a hand-shake. It's the "little" touches like that that make SQ a step above everyone else.

My only complaint is that T1 is undergoing (long overdue) renovations and the place is crowded to the point of being more than inconvenient as almost half the terminal is closed off.

Lounge

There is no SKL at CDG. They use the BMI lounge which is located in the basement of Satellite 3 where SQ boards from.

As I was early, I went lounge hopping. I started in the United RCC wyhich was completely overcrowded - standing room only. It felt like the rest of T1 rather than being a sanctuary from it. This was due to UA experiencing significant delays so the lounge had many more passengers than normal.

I quickly left the lounge and headed to the SAS Lounge. The woman at the door gave me a hard time getting in - even though it was clearly marked as *Gold. And the lounge was empty! Either there are fewer of us *Gold than we realise or that woman managed to completely scare off the overflow from the UA lounge.

Ended up in the BMI lounge. It's a very large, well-appointed lounge. This is obviously a lounge from the days when BMI had ambitions. The fact that they photocopy your boarding pass upon entry means that either BMI or SQ are hard negotiators!

My preference normally is for the UA lounge. It's got natural daylight which I value greatly. It's also normally very comfortable and non-crowded. The SAS lounge also has natural daylight but it's much smaller. The only reason I go there is because they have Internet terminals (with printers). I believe its the only lounge at T1 that has that. All these lounges have one thing in common -- minimal choice in beverages and no premium snacks, just crackers and the like.

Boarding

They made the announcement for the flight in the lounge and I headed to the security point. There was a large line and I was a bit concerned about missing my flight. I was reassured when I looked around and everyone seemed to have an SQ boarding pass. The line actually moved very quickly.

I boarded the plane. The steward took both my bags and carried them to the Upper Deck. This was the first time I had experienced this service.

I was quickly served a glass of champagne, the amenity kit, newspaper/magazines.

The first impression of boarding an SQ craft is fantastic !

After take-off drink

Orders for the after take-off drinks were taken. Normally, they've passed out the beverage list before they ask for orders but not this time. A number of people had to ask what wines they had on offer.

I orderded a Tiger beer as I always do on a flight to SIN. Goes very well with the Satay. (I noticed on this flight that several people asked for seconds on their Satay. I'll remember that for next time.)

KrisWorld

I'm always nervous when I switch on KrisWorld because I've had so many experiences with it not working - especially on the 744. This time, however, it worked perfectly. And I had to pay for my duty-free purchases rather than being able to use the KrisWorld-not-working-compensation-voucher.

Meal service

I don't feel there's any value added in me typing in the menu choices. But I would be happy to if anyone requests it. I had the beef, which quite frankly wasn't very good. It was very dry.

I asked for mustard and to be different asked for the "English" mustard. Never again! I immediately requested the French mustard instead...

Mid-flight snack

I can never sleep on the CDG-SIN flight. It leaves at noon and I cannot trick my body into thinking it's night - regardless of the forced shutting of the window shades.

I asked for a sandwich and the only thing they had was an "egg and mayonnaise sandwich." This quite frankly was not appealing to me. Instead I indulged in many Mars bars !

Breakfast

I am always surprised that SQ wakes people up 2 1/2 before arrival for breakfast. And they truly wake you up - if you haven't told them not to. Anyway. breakfast was wonderful. I had spicy pork sausages (reminded me of Chiang Mai) which were done absolutely wonderfully.

Arrival

I like Changi airport but the flight from Paris always seems to be parked at the absolute furthest point from the main terminal. I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me. But people that criticise Don Muang for the long walks should remember that Changi has more than it's fair share of walking.

I was connecting so I went to the SKL lounge. Heaven. And being able to take a right turn upon entering it is one of the best travel experiences there is in my humble opinion. (I had read on the SQ board that the welcome had been automated, but I was pleased to see it being done my real human beings...)

I can confirm that they are still serving Dom Perignon - although at breakfast none was out there. After a suggestion from a fellow traveller on the SQ board, I requested a glass. It came out immediately - with the apology that it was not Krug. Believe it or not.

Overall

A fantastic travel experience - as always. Any criticism against SQ must always be taken in view of benchmark expectations - which are perfection on SQ.

And the SQ crews - robotic or not - are the best ones in the sky.

Last edited by Braniff; Oct 3, 2005 at 7:36 am
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the report.

I wonder if the Air France flight's departure time makes it more popular with people that like to sleep on flights. It certainly looks more appealing. But then again, the SQ service is hard to beat.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:29 am

Thanks for an interesting trip report, but in the future you may want to reduce the amount of "advertising" you do for your reports. Just post the report in this forum and people will read it, you do not have to go to multiple airline forums to post (broken) links to the report.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deimos
Thanks for an interesting trip report, but in the future you may want to reduce the amount of "advertising" you do for your reports. Just post the report in this forum and people will read it, you do not have to go to multiple airline forums to post (broken) links to the report.
Thank you. I will not do this in future. (This was my first report.)
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Thanks for the report.

I wonder if the Air France flight's departure time makes it more popular with people that like to sleep on flights. It certainly looks more appealing. But then again, the SQ service is hard to beat.

I would assume so. Although I think the AF change in departure times has more to do with their new code-share with Qantas (so they have to be in SIN when the QF flights are there) and that the fact that the Jakarta run (which used to go via SIN) is now handled by KLM were the true reasons for the change in times.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:49 pm

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
I would personally love it if you posted the menu.

Ta
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:57 pm

cool report. Singapore Airlines seems to never lose its touch.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat
yes, please post the menu. some extra typing, but appreciated by many!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.