Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

More Champagne, Sir? Life and times in BA's First Class ~ Australia to California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Champagne, Sir? Life and times in BA's First Class ~ Australia to California

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As consolation however, we were treated to the lights of London as we made a long, sweeping turn around the city before lining up and touching down softly on one of Heathrow’s many runways.
Great report. But you must know that there are only 2 runways at Heathrow? That is why you normally have to spend half an hour stacking before landing! (not normally on these early morning Asian arrivals to be fair)
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:12 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Seat 2A, as usual a masterful story with detail that I love about your experiences with BA's on-board service and food. Also, great to know how highly you appreciate the Qantas Clubs in Australia ^

Originally Posted by Seat2A
When the boarding call went out for QF 009, a 5:10pm departure also serving Singapore and London, about 15-20 people got up and headed for the door. How big is that Qantas First Class Cabin, anyway? Fare bucket searches done earlier in the week showed plenty of First Class seats available on this flight, so I suspect that some of these passengers may have been riff raff from … that’s right – Business Class.
Definitely a handful of OW Emeralds there, Seat 2A. OMG, they could have even been sitting in (dare I mention it) ... Economy

Surely, you haven't finished this TR as you're only in SFO, a long way from Alaska...unless you're driving (which I'd find implaudable for one who likes flying so much!).

Look forward to hearing about your returns to Australia in the future, as I'm sure we could organise an FT meet.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Another absolutely fabulous trip report by Seat 2A - thank you so much for writing it down. I read it around midnight and it made me hungry again! Alas, BA First Class catering does not supply my fridge...

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I love the first forty minutes or so of a long flight in First Class. Now that you’re finally airborne, you’ve adjusted your seat to a comfortable position, gratefully accepted that first glass of your favorite libation and can now begin to truly relax and unwind. As your First Class cabin crew moves unobtrusively about the cabin delivering drinks and taking meal orders, from the galley come the faint clinks of glass and cutlery as the promise of the wonderful inflight service ahead begins to be realized. Taking another sip from your drink, you gaze out the window and revel in the wonder of it all… Ah… it’s a good life, indeed.
This could have come right from my heart - thanks for phrasing it so nicely, I'll think of you the next time I'm in such an elusive state of mind.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:06 pm

Elton, very enjoyable as always. Thanks for taking us along for the ride again.

I look forward to catching up with you on your next visit downunder.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm most appreciative of the kind words and pleased that so many of you enjoyed the report. It could be awhile before I'm back in BA's First Class cabin again so this one will have to last you awhile

Originally Posted by upgrade lover
Welcome back home 2A. I hope you find adequate accomodations prior to your summer in Denali.
Alas, last night was spent in a quiet dimly lit area just off the baggage claim area at PHL. Tonight will be at my sister's place in Greeley and tomorrow night will be in the back of my truck preparatory to an early morning departure from DIA. I've got a couch in Aspen for a couple of nights next week and a number of motels will be my home through Montana, B.C. and the Yukon later in February. Actually, between now and early May, I've also got some nice hostels booked and thanks to Priceline, I've even scored decent rooms in a couple of nice hotels. I've got some overnights on busses coming up as well as overnights on two different ferries. Oh yeah, there's at least two nights aboard trains and more than a couple overnights aboard airplanes. Alas, there's also five more nights in on the floor in Philly.

Originally Posted by QF WP
Surely, you haven't finished this TR as you're only in SFO, a long way from Alaska...unless you're driving (which I'd find implaudable for one who likes flying so much!).
Well ya know I did continue on to Denver from San Francisco but since the flights via Seattle were short and devoid of meals, they didn't seem worthy of mention.

As for getting back to Alaska, I am indeed driving. My little Mazda pick-up truck, which I bought new on Valentines Day in 1988, now has over 452,000 miles (or 732,000 kms) on it. I've driven it through every state in the U.S. except Hawaii. In fact, if you drew a straight line from Montana's Eastern border at Canada down to west Texas and the Mexican border, there are only 9 counties in the American West that I haven't driven through. In short, I love to drive! (I'm on my third engine but still on the original tranny)

Originally Posted by rot8
I look forward to catching up with you on your next visit downunder.
Seeya at the MCG! Go Pies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.