Wiki Posts
Search

Uc Vs4 Jfk-lhr 1/2/04

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
London Awaits! VS4 UCS JFK-LHR 1/2/04

Pre-report note... I usually don't write trip reports, but after reading many people write great reports, I figured I should start to put in a few myself. After all we can't be greedy This is my first flight since 2000 on VS and it went above and beyond my expectations!

VS4 JFK-LHR 1/2/04 UC (Original seats 8K, 9K) (New Seats 9K, 10K)

Decided to try the DIY check in (not something I usually do). Went smoothly. Arrived at JFK T4 to its usual zoo (far beats the old T4 though !) Went to DIY check in line but was pointed to UC check in line instead as there was a line for DIY and no line for UC. Pleasant guy checked us in and gave us our boarding passes in less than three mins. Tagged our bags and we took them over to the x-ray. No line to give up our worldly possessions and we went off to the lounge.

VS lounge was great! Wonderful woman checked us in. We settled in and were immediately shown around and asked for our drink orders, etc. I was paged after about 30 mins. and the woman running check in paged me. Went over to the desk and was told that my seat was broken and VS wanted to block it (although they gave me the option to stay and eat at a friends table). I asked if specific seats were available. She was under the impression it was a 346 but I asked her to double check. She was impressed when I asked her if it was a LHR suite with v:PORT. I mentioned FT and V-Flyer, she knew and said that the VS lounge got quite a few of us. I was moved to the seat behind my friend after asking if it was occupied. They paged the passenger (who was apparently upgraded) behind me and asked him politely if he could switch. He was extremely nice and agreed and all was well . We grabbed a bite to eat and the food was extremely good (Ask for the Thai spicy beef salad)!

About 45 mins out I thought it would be prudent to get in line at security and we moved downstairs. I know that T4 can be hell in the evening. There was a LY747 leaving, our VS747, a Kazakhstan Airlines flight and one or two others all leaving at about the same time as ours! VS lounge staff reminded us that there was a J, F, and Crew line that we could use. I was glad we were reminded as the Y class line was easily 45 mins long! Got through after 20 mins and proceeded to the gate in time for boarding.

VS4 747 G-VROC Mustang Sally
Hopped on board after boarding through the L2 door. We were pointed to our seats and settled in. We were asked if we wanted beauty treatments, etc. and were informed of the breakfast order card. Was VERY happy to have v:PORT after becoming addicted to AVOD I noticed that the seat was already in poor condition. There were some scuffs, however there were some serious problems. The cocktail table was completely off and the cover on the TV was sliding off. Also, the dining table would not stay in and had to be pushed in with much force. More importantly however was the general operation of the seat. The buttons were largely unresponsive and I felt like I was using all my body weight to get the buttons to work. However my biggest pet peeve was that when it came time to go to bed, the armrest would not stay down. I didn't have to say anything as the flight attendants were asking all pax if the needed help with the seats and just about everyone had an issue. By the time they got to me, they already knew what I would say and really, really apologized. I didn't really care, and appreciated the crew showing a general interest in the happiness of all pax. It is something I RARELY see on any American airline. I noticed that VS put another passenger in my original seat. I wondered if he was upgraded or not. I would not be very understanding if I couldn't use my table on a paid ticket. Dinner came and was very good. It far surpassed all American carrier's F class food and some foreign carriers (notably LH, IB, and AF) cuisine. The bar was great. When it came time to sleep they helped me set up my bed and were a wreck when they found out my armrest wouldnt go down. I didn't complain (and won't call VS and DEMAND compensation like so many people would do) but my shoulder was killing me when I got to LHR. I am so glad I had a massage at noon at Claridges ! I was gently woken for breakfast and was served exactly what I ordered. Next, the beautician came around and asked me if I would like my treatment. I got a great neck massage and was glad I ordered it in advance.

Arrived at LHR after a 5hr 30min flight... Wayyyyy to short Spin it around the block a few times please Was handed my FastTrack card and zipped through T3's corridors to Immigration and was through quick. Unfortunately, quite a few carriers arrived late to LHR and every carousel was used. It was 40 mins until our bags came out. Glad to see that the UC tags work as our bags were among the first out though!

Stopped at Revivals, had a quick shower and my friend ate breakfast as he slept all the way to landing. Driver brought the car around and was in LondonTown in no time!

Soon to come... The return home on VS45 1/8/04!!!

Last edited by FLYaway3x; Jan 5, 2005 at 9:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.