Bmi Lhr-pmi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bmi Lhr-pmi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Bmi Lhr-pmi

OK folks, here's another of my trip reports, in fact my first one since the summer so my fingertips are just itching to type!!

Having not flown much over the past two months, I was ready for not only a break away somewhere but also a nice business class flight in Europe. Having been to Palma, on the island of Majorca about two years ago and knowing that British Midland (bmi) had some excellent J fares available, I decided to book a Friday flight out and a Sunday flight back..they don't fly everyday to PMI anyway.

Arriving at LHR Terminal 1 around 0500, for my 0700 flight, the airport was just starting to get busy with the early morning BA and BD domestics. Check in took around 5 minutes in the biz check-in area. The BD check-in lady was very friendly even commenting 'very nice' when she saw the destination on my ticket (they don't do e-ticketing on this route). I guess seeing nothing but a constant stream of business travellers going to Manchester, Glasgow etc.must make a refreshing change.

Once through T1 International Security, I was presented by a good selection of Tax Free shops in a bright area. Having been a regular traveller through this airport over the years I'd seen it all before so headed down to the BD DC lounge (there are two separate ones in the International section of T1 - one on the left corridor for BD Silver and *A Gold and one on the right corridor for Biz passengers with no Star or BD status).

In the DC lounge I was impressed with the selection of pastries - I'd never seen this before in any BD lounge. The layout was typical of a BD lounge..they're not as good as terraces (by any stretch of the imagination) but hey, they're functional.

Going down to the gate your bags go through another security search so build in time for this if you are using either of the lounges before your flight.

Boarding the A320 aircraft commenced well ahead of departure time and as we boarded the captain informed us of a half hour delay owing to fog...but no matter as I settled in to my business class seat..five across instead of the usual six.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with the legroom - it is no better than economy. The width of the seat is however much improved and with only two others sitting forward of the curtain, I had a whole row to myself which was nice.

Shortly after take off, the attentive cabin crew brought us the usual Bento box containing a yoghurt, cadburys twirl bar and orange juice. What was again disappointing was the lack of a cooked breakfast. I'm a frequent traveller on LBA-EDI and you always get a cooked breakfast on that flight.
The warm ciabatta was however good quality and enjoyable.

Throughout the flight, regular cabin service made me feel like a valued customer and nothing seemed too much trouble. Crew seemed jolly - almost as if they were going on holiday themselves!

Landing in Palma around half an hour late, we were bussed to the terminal as the bridge had broken down - a blessing actually because those of you who've flowing into PMI will know there's a long walk to the main terminal from the UK flight stands.

Overall, not a bad flight for the 200 I paid - given the lack of cooked breakfast and short legroom I wouldn't have felt I received good value if paying the full C fare which is nearly 400. I did however benefit from the double points promotion BD are running and got 2x status points for flying biz.

Loathed as I am to say it, but those who travel Economy get a great deal on this route. Fares seem to start from around 60 return inc.taxes and the service far exceeds that offered by the low cost rivals operating London-PMI. Load factor that morning seemed very low so I can only assume that people don't identify BMI with leisure travel..I doubt Palma is a major business route for any airline.

Last edited by neilyork; Dec 9, 2004 at 2:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.