Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Windhoek to Swakopmund Aboard The Desert Express ~ Luxury Train Travel Across Namibia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windhoek to Swakopmund Aboard The Desert Express ~ Luxury Train Travel Across Namibia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Great report, Seat 2A!

Another time, take the opportunity to go up to Etosha. One can rent the cheapest car (as long as it isn't a "bakkie", or pickup type,) and book accommodations in Etosha ranging from backpacker tents to hotel rooms to very nice rondavels. 6AM to 6PM you can hit the paved roads and watch the incredible wildlife - they even have wild black rhinos there - and it doesn;t have to cost much.

Unfortunately, the National Geo videos would not have us believe it is that easy - it seems too exotic, too remote. But Etosha is a fantastic experience, and you don't have to see your lions being fed in small enclosures. (In fact when we were there, one visitor who nodded off at the benches by the waterhole in Okaukuejo wound up being the main meal himself - for an old lioness that had taken up station under a deadfall looking for easy pickings!)
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second Train for Desert Travel

"NAMIBIA will soon acquire a second passenger luxury train with a speed of 120 km per hour, to complement the tourist Desert Express train that transports tourists within the country."

Source

johan
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Fantastic report. I missed it the first time around, but this was linked to a question about the train in the Africa forum today, so I got to see it now.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:01 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great report about your experience on the Desert Express. I really liked the the additional info about the train and about Namibia.
I was very surprised to read that only a single Desert Express train has been built.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Thumbs up

Seat 2A, thanks.
You really inspired me. I am in the early planning stages of my next trip to Africa, including Botswana and Nambia. I will be sure to now try to include this train trip. I think I had read an article about it a couple of years ago, but your very detailed trip report has really inspired me.
thanks,
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Uh oh, my wife and I had our trip for next year planned, but after having read this thread, we may have to rethink it...

Mike
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
It's 3 years late, but oh well, this report is so vivid and well written I have to say thank you Seat 2A.

Wow, a train ride along the Southern African continent. Certainly quite intriguing and something I'd like to do one of these days. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.