Spontaneous Sicilian Splendour. Palermo in a day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spontaneous Sicilian Splendour. Palermo in a day

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
The Palermo flight is departing from the B gates so it is time to migrate to the Galleries lounge at T5B. I decided to take the transit rather than the tunnel, a decision I regret as the transit takes ages to empty and check.

Good airside views from the B terminal

After which it is a very short stroll to the lounge

Old May 3, 2024, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
The lounge is quite busy this morning and at this time of the morning offers the standard BA fare to be found in the main terminal lounges

There is a little serving island that, in my experience, often has something different to offer but at this time of the morning it is unmanned.

I’m sure you know what comes next

With about 30 minutes to boarding it is time to settle back and enjoy this trio of refreshments.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Fully fifty minutes before departure the board updates to show ‘Board Now’. I know it’s a lie but I take a wander to the gate anyway

Fully twenty minutes later they are still doing pre-boards and Group 0

Now thirty minutes and an announcement that they are waiting for engineering to ‘look at something on the plane’

Last edited by JapesUK; May 3, 2024 at 11:42 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Boarding eventually started at 06:50 and is now well underway. Something of a different configuration on this one with both seats 1C and 1D sticking into the aisle.

And the DAT A321 safety card

I’m sat in 1E for boarding and Mr 1F has arrived and plonked himself into his seat, not saying a word and ignoring my greeting. One wonders what is going through his head.

Next stop: Palermo in about three hours time.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JapesUK
One wonders what is going through his head.
Perhaps: I hope the godfather didn't found out. Otherwise I'm a dead man.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Boarding completed at 07:10 and we are now waiting for the dispatcher to leave. Having been sat in 1D for five minutes I have already had my foot stepped on and my arm barged twice by the in flight lead, hopefully he isn’t the clumsy oaf he appears to be so far!

Menus have been distributed whilst we wait and we are currently getting sprayed with insecticide. Also, it appears that there is no at seat power and no WiFi on this plane.

Eventually pushing back at 07:20 we had the standard Heathrow 15 minutr taxi and finally in the air at 07:35, fully 30 minutes after our scheduled departure time.

The galley curtain was closed the moment the crew left their seats and remained that way for the entire flight. The drinks run started around half an hour into the flight and no surprises here.

Roughly twenty minutes later the meal service begun with each passenger being served from the galley. I opted for the full English and unfortunately it was very poor. Clearly it had not had enough time in the oven, the egg was still liquid and everything was just luke warm. The other breakfasts going past looked to be in a similar state so I decided that it was bread roll to the rescue again and it made an excellent bacon and sausage roll! This is becoming a trend recently.

Slightly later in the flight I started chatting to a lovely garrulous lady in 1C when we bonded on the subject of champagne top ups We passed the remainder of the flight taking about nothing until the pilot announced that we were on descent and 25 minutes to landing.

My first experience of DAT? An ok flight, passed quickly with thanks to my neighbour. An uncomfortable seat, an aging plane, and an average crew who produced undercooked food. If I am on any other DAT flights after this week I’ll try to move them.

On the ground at 11am and it’s a bus gate, but that is some backdrop

Lets see what delights Palermo customs and immigration have to offer.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:33 am

The pics of the Sheraton are interesting, it's 10+ years since I was there and it doesn't look like anything has changed! Clearly time for a refurbishment.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Immigration and customs were really fast and painless. Use the e-gate and then stop off to get a stamp in your passport and off you go.

Top tip #1. If you want the train station do not walk into the arrivals hall once to come through the automatic doors. Instead, clear the barrier and look left, the train station entrance is right there. If you do go further into the hall there is no signage to show you missed it.

Top tip #2 Whist on the train just enjoy the view. There are so many high rock and concrete walls and so many tunnels that Internet is effectively useless.

Last edited by JapesUK; May 4, 2024 at 4:53 am
Old May 4, 2024, 4:52 am
Original Poster

After approximately 35 minutes we arrived at Lolli station and then it was another 25 minute walk to the hotel. Initially the area was less than salubrious with an excess of graffiti, litter, and broken pavements, however the last ten minutes were a completely different world.

And so to the hotel which is characterful! I like it and the bed is really comfy.

And with that I am all up to date, bags unpacked and ready for a beer and a few hours exploration. Time to go onwards and outwards.
Old May 4, 2024, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With you so far, Sir!

OMG, 18 for a Burger at NCL? Is that what UK costs these days? Not that I eat burgers anywhere, but that seems crazy!

As for the runny Scrambled Eggs, that's just how I like them. The alternative yellow rubber option doesn`t do it for me!
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 5:09 am

Your trip reports are one of the very best things about FlyerTalk - thank you for doing them.
GoBob, simoflyer, standch and 6 others like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 7:26 am

Excellent stuff once again. I haven't been to Palermo for 45 years. I was fortunate enough to do the Malta air rally a few times in my flying instructor days, and Palermo was always the night stop before the arrival competition. It is a place that has always. facinated me.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
With you so far, Sir!

OMG, 18 for a Burger at NCL? Is that what UK costs these days? Not that I eat burgers anywhere, but that seems crazy!

As for the runny Scrambled Eggs, that's just how I like them. The alternative yellow rubber option doesn`t do it for me!
You think that is bad, I’ll go take a picture of Gordon ramseys menu in T5 if I remember. I took a look once and suddenly the lounge food was far more appealing!

I don’t mind the moist, but I want to eat my eggs with a fork, not a spoon!
T8191 and mnhusker like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Popinjay
Your trip reports are one of the very best things about FlyerTalk - thank you for doing them.
Wow! Thank you!
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Excellent stuff once again. I haven't been to Palermo for 45 years. I was fortunate enough to do the Malta air rally a few times in my flying instructor days, and Palermo was always the night stop before the arrival competition. It is a place that has always. facinated me.
In only a few hours I can say it is a fascinating place, one of many contrasts. Im not even going to come close to scratching the surface in a day, Im just skating across it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.