Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Testing the limits of mind and body in pursuit of Experience - One very busy weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Testing the limits of mind and body in pursuit of Experience - One very busy weekend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
So, what is the conclusion of my trip?

I'm feeling good. I did have a short nap in the afternoon, but even without it, better than Saturday evening into Milan. That's my fault for not getting adeaquate rest before Friday I guess. But the night in the bed at Moxy has sufficiently reset me.

What do I think of ITA busines class?
About average*. Better than KLM, but worse than Air France. The service is generally good, but a little inconsistent, which is not the best. The variety of options isn't there, but then all I did was 12 legs within 72 hours, so... Might be that next week it will be a different menu... Either way I was pleasantly surprised with hot main on the outbounds...
Hard product is, unfortunately, in decline. Legacy A320s are pretty good. Neos are "eh". A220s are "ugh."... It's also impossible to predict whether you will end up in a neo or a legacy ceo when purchasing tickets, or often even at checkin, so you are playing a lottery... but it can be dealt with. Lounge was a bit of a letdown, and if I am ever in FCO, I will more likely end up using my PP to enter Primeclass, unless I fancy a cocktail. Or, and this is something I hope to try at some point, go over to the non-Schengen part of the airport to try the former Alitalia lounge Piazza di Spagna, time permitting.

* except for domestic. Domestic J is disappointing at best.

Was it worth it?
I'd say yes. Good value per XP, OK experience in flight, not much extra cost (I spent about 50 EUR in Barcelona between public transport, a very good lunch, and some drinks; and about 110 in Moxy between the room and a beer at the bar) and an experience to be had doing this crazy run and sharing it almost realtime here in the TR forum.

Would I do it again?
No, not like this. No qualms about routing, but next time, if I am routing via Athens, I will make sure to give me enough time to actually visit Athens. Alternatively, if less XP are in play, perhaps go directly to BCN and just do a domestic Italy round from there for 102-114 XP. Or fly somewhere near BCN like PMI and tag on a cheap UX, maybe even on a 787 if you are lucky.
Of course, that all only in case that ITA does not leave Skyteam in close future. Maybe then it will be time to turn towards the north, and look for SK itineraries. They're not gonna get as low as AZ, but there's options at 7.3-8.3 per XP, which is also not the worst.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Bonus content:

This is the service on ITA in Economy shortly after they commenced operation in Nov 21. Compare with the "business" domestic J now. I am also convinced I had the same brand crackers from this FCO-LIN on ITA in Eco in September 23, but don't have a picture.

I have also flown Alitalia in busines a couple times in the past, here's the service from back then - ever so slightly better, it seems.

March 2018, FCO-AMS, breakfast

May 2019, BRU-FCO, lunch

May 2019, VLC-FCO, dinner, seems almost identical to inbound lunch from the day before

May 2019, FCO-BRU, breakfast

May 2019, prosecco on offer
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:26 am

Really good trip report. I had a happy couple of hours sitting in my hanging "egg" chair with a few chang beers and my ginger Tom on my lap reading this. I am just knackered having done CEI-HKT-BKK-CEI, so I'm certain I couldn't manage what you've been up to
SKT-DK, JapesUK and VorelNaCestach like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rapidex
Really good trip report. I had a happy couple of hours sitting in my hanging "egg" chair with a few chang beers and my ginger Tom on my lap reading this. I am just knackered having done CEI-HKT-BKK-CEI, so I'm certain I couldn't manage what you've been up to
Agree, it must have been an exhausting trip! I will let you know how I feel after my DEL-BKK, 4.5hr over-night flight next month. Sounds like something that would fit right in to Fabo.sk's trip

Enjoy your Chang! - although I prefer Leo
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:27 am
Original Poster

CEI-HKT-BKK-CEI sounds like it would more or less fit in conceptually here.

DEL-BKK that's too long. And to do it in Spicejet, thanks but no thanks
Unless you are doing the TG 777. And especially if you do it in Business, I could work with that.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Overall a great TR and get good rest before the Wednesday day flight. Did you not manage to give the girl her hair implement? Big bummer on your tablet and full sympathy from me.

Originally Posted by JapesUK
Ouch! That’s horrible luck. You could maybe try continuing updates using your phone? That’s how I write 90% of my reports and provides the perfect excuse for all the typos . Clearly that’s a completely selfish suggestion, been thoroughly enjoying following along
agreed - I do all my FlyerTalk stuff on my mobile. I only use my iPad to play one video game. Technically the iPad belongs to my son and he mostly only uses his mobile for screentime. I cannot ever again imagine buying A tablet - we last bought one in 2019 and I’ll let it go once it’s gone. I even only watch videos on my mobile. The tablet was ace when we needed ife in 2011 and now I use my mobile for ife.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Overall a great TR and get good rest before the Wednesday day flight. Did you not manage to give the girl her hair implement? Big bummer on your tablet and full sympathy from me.
I did, but at what cost? Meanwhile she might not have even noticed it was missing. Oh well.

agreed - I do all my FlyerTalk stuff on my mobile. I only use my iPad to play one video game. Technically the iPad belongs to my son and he mostly only uses his mobile for screentime. I cannot ever again imagine buying A tablet - we last bought one in 2019 and I’ll let it go once it’s gone. I even only watch videos on my mobile. The tablet was ace when we needed ife in 2011 and now I use my mobile for ife.
Some things the phone is great for, others, not so much. I don't like to edit pictures on such small a screen, and mobile web pages have many features removed compared to desktop pages.

Videos on mobile only in case of emergency. It's just too small a screen.
gaobest and atcodave like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I did, but at what cost? Meanwhile she might not have even noticed it was missing. Oh well.

Some things the phone is great for, others, not so much. I don't like to edit pictures on such small a screen, and mobile web pages have many features removed compared to desktop pages.

Videos on mobile only in case of emergency. It's just too small a screen.
I watch hours of video on my mobile and I use the photo app for editing pictures etc. i also film a lot of things and use iMovie app on my mobile to make edits.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I watch hours of video on my mobile and I use the photo app for editing pictures etc. i also film a lot of things and use iMovie app on my mobile to make edits.
Good for you. I have higher standards.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Are you still reading?

Thanks!

Also, why?

But thanks!

Something a little special is happening today.

I won't be setting up a whole new trip report, but I will post it here. Consider it a reward for getting through the 70 odd hours of my stupid idea with me
lamphs, MichielR, JapesUK and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
That looks like the proper way to get started
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
CEI-HKT-BKK-CEI sounds like it would more or less fit in conceptually here.

DEL-BKK that's too long. And to do it in Spicejet, thanks but no thanks
Unless you are doing the TG 777. And especially if you do it in Business, I could work with that.
Haha - no way I would go SpiceJet. I am indeed on the TG 777 and in business, but… Still a bad overnight timing
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are you still reading?

Thanks!

Also, why?
of course, I am.
why? Because it's a great reading while drinking coffee 😁
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Enjoyable trip report and my admiration on your stamina, Fabo.sk !

It's great to see the diversity of trip report styles and subjects, and the hard yards road warriors put into XPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.