Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Testing the limits of mind and body in pursuit of Experience - One very busy weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Testing the limits of mind and body in pursuit of Experience - One very busy weekend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Walking out of the airplane, I half expected to be the only one staying around. I need not have worried, there was a decent number of overnighters spread around the terminal, even some restaurants were still open at 1am despite no departures until 6.

Even in the Goldair lounge, which is the singular one open overnight, I am far from the only overnight guest. There’s about 8 of us variously either dozing off or typing on our computers, one man having a long video call all in sign language, which is amazing for two reasons - one being of course that it’s completely silent, other - the mere fact that deaf and hard of hearing folks now have this option, thanks to the advances of technology, to do the same the hearing were doing for well over a century - having a conversation with non-verbal clues over a long distance.

Seating is pretty comfortable, though it does lack lounge chairs or anything specifically suitable for naps

As for what’s on offer, the hot buffet is out, but there is a good selection of soft drinks, wine mostly of greek origins, and even some spirits which will serve as a nice nightcap for me soon (even though the time to board is coming faster than expected.)

A surprisingly good selection of wines and spirits. Perhaps I will take some time to play with Vivino on Sunday night to select the best one.

Actually, scratch that. As I decided to grab a glass of Greek wine while I finish this section, and perhaps a small sandwich as a midnight snack, the breakfast section has been set up. Now we have some dairy, pastries, an omelet. My insomniac self is feeling better and better about this lounge. I am starting to look forward to spending my night here in two days time.

These sandwiches were the ones that were available when I entered. Still decent, given the circumstances.

The selection of items is pretty good for it being what, two at night?

There’s even a pretty big coffee machine (Nespresso Professional range), but that will have to wait until proper morning guests start to arrive.

Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I awake from my not-quite-slumber at 4. The sign language guy is still at his desk, looking into a laptop, and so is one other lady, having what seems like a very serious excel sheet open. I figure this is actually not that bad of an idea, if you have to spend the night in a lounge, at least do some work if you can. You can sleep when you get home. Or make up for a day out on the beach. Whatever floats your boat.
It's too bad I have it on good authority my corporate overlords would frown heavily on me doing work in such a location, and that's not counting the fact that I've been on the drink the past 12 hours.
Anyway I stumble over to the F&B counters, but I don't want to be the dickwad who starts up a potentially quite loud espresso machine first thing in the morning, so I stumble around aimlessly for a while, until I notice there's a jug of freshly made filter. That will do, actually that's even better for what I want at this time.
So I grab a cup, get a glass of juice, and set about recreating a typical feature of the inspiration behind this TR, as morning trade starts coming in. Unfortunately, the one thing this joint doesn't have is sparkling, I guess Greeks aren't fond? There's a nice looking bottle of white. It will have to do.

IYKYK

Turns out I need not have worried about the espresso machine. The morning trades are giving it a workout and it's surprisingly quiet. What isn't is another one of those can't remember how to chew and how to keep mouth closed at the same time types. It's either the chewing noise or inappropriately loud conversation. I want to throw the coffee cup at him. How does one say self defence in Greek?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Morning JapesUK What are you doing up at this ungodly hour? Unlike me, you don't have a plane to catch
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It's too bad I have it on good authority my corporate overlords would frown heavily on me doing work in such a location….

….
So I grab a cup, get a glass of juice, and set about recreating a typical feature of the inspiration behind this TR
I have similar limitation, such a shame to be forced to wine and dine rather than work

What a strange inspiration
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Morning JapesUK What are you doing up at this ungodly hour? Unlike me, you don't have a plane to catch
6:30am here in Baku so not quite so ungodly. Loving the report, you have a great turn of phrase. Saw a comment earlier about boarding coming faster than expected, is that as a result of doing the live report? It does fill in the down time quite nicely, I find.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JapesUK
I have similar limitation, such a shame to be forced to wine and dine rather than work
Not too bad of a limitation when the alternative is losing myself in the food and beverage, but let me tell you, when you have to take an extra day of PTO because God forbid you worked from a holiday home or a hotel in another country to take advantage of cheaper Tuesday morning flight, it stings.

Especially when pre-merger, when I joined my company, something like that would not even be on the radar.

Originally Posted by JapesUK
6:30am here in Baku so not quite so ungodly. Loving the report, you have a great turn of phrase. Saw a comment earlier about boarding coming faster than expected, is that as a result of doing the live report? It does fill in the down time quite nicely, I find.
I'd actually argue 6:30 is even more ungodly than 4am. 4am implies you're either stilll up, in which case good for you kid, I also did such feats in my youth, or you're already up because you have a flight to catch or another similarly good reason.
6:30 is just sad.

Not sure what you mean about the boarding. If you mean the overly optimistic boarding times, that's what ITA puts on the boarding passes. On reflection, wonder if it has anything to do with mediterranean approach to time. You know, 29 minutes late means you're on time.

re. the trip reporting. It does keep me busy! More than I have expected. But it works out right about now....
Still I'm even more surprised just how realtime you manage to do yours. mine are delayed enough that I couldn't close the transfer section after boarding, yet you seem to send yours after doors closed. I'm actually impressed in retrospect.
JapesUK likes this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:52 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Wow this is an adventure and a half! I am not sure I would have the stamina to do this - the ‘worst’ I have done would be EK F return to DXB over night with a 3hr turnaround in DXB, similar for WY F via MCT spending a good four hours over night in DXB, one day in SYD via CX in HKG etc. But at least these itineraries allow for some degree of sleep onboard

Needless to say, I will be following this!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:26 am
Original Poster

And there we go, leg 3/12.

I left the lounge with about 50 minutes to go, having a quick stroll but duty free still closed.

Despite starting boarding a bit after the KLM flight two gates over, at almost exactly 05:30, we managed to just beat it out of the gate, pushing back one minute early. Cheeky buggers got pushed in front of us however we managed to overtake them via parallel fairway and now they follow us out being both beaten by the other departure of the three very first ones, Volotea to Santorini.

I have to say, the whole boarding process was very civilized, perhaps because of the early hour? One way or another, the full plane (even some obvious opups leaving business 12/12) is now being treated to a very nice sunrise.

Same plane as last time, this time 3F. Actually more comfortable than row 1 I would say

And a marvelous sunrise over ATH

At some point we are served breakfast. I always forget that those little Actimel bottles even exist until I get some on a flight…

AZ717. The croissants were warm, one with ham and cheese and the other sweet.

Rest of the flight I spent mostly dozing off, all the way until we pulled in into exactly the same gate as yesterday evening. At least this time I know where the lounge is, right? Now just to wait until the next gate is announced.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Mar 23, 2024 at 1:55 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
But at least these itineraries allow for some degree of sleep onboard
You have no idea how much I would love a sub for the flat bed A21N right about now.
SKT-DK likes this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Mar 23, 2024 at 1:56 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I’m starting to have issues with how to distinguish between flights, and I haven’t yet even gotten to the part where a bunch of them are straight up duplicates of what I’ve already done.

This time round, I am seated in a legacy A320 from way back in Alitalia days, trying out row 2 instead. Gate for the morning Barcelona flight was unfortunately A71, meaning it’s the second to last gate in the new pier, and as such, a good distance from the lounge. That led to me arriving at the gate as boarding was already starting to get underway, still, managed to skip most of the line. Priority boarding is low key one of the benefits I miss the most when flying off–alliance…

Early boarding as it was, everybody is in their seat 15 minutes before departure, a great result. Now it seems we are waiting for some paperwork to be delivered and we should be on our way any minute.

A320 EI-IKG, seat 2A

The crew decided to make the flight a little different after all, and skipped the PDB. No matter, the breakfast is served as expected, and then I spend the rest of the flight dozing off.

Breakfast on AZ74. Actimel, pastry filled with scrambled egg, sweet pastry, fruit..

Postscript after arrival is, grabbed a metro to Catalunya, had lunch, and after I finish typing this, I’ll take a walk around the old city, before returning to the airport. I can hardly wait to be in my bed in Milan... I still have about 8 odd hours until then, not gonna be easy. The app promised me an upgrade, I wonder how they want to do that, seeing as they only have the one room category. Also I’m hoping that Barcelona lounge has a shower. It doesn’t seem like I’ll be able to use the one in Rome.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food is dreadful. I assume those premium Italian pax stay slim by not eating any of this crap. Tasting Heimat might actually be healthier and have more protein .
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Just as expected, hugolover with his carb-free crusade perhaps you could order a special meal
SKT-DK, MichielR and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

The return from Barcelona to the airport is where the tiredness started really hitting hard. Timing wasn't ideal and I arrived an hour and a half before departure, which was not ideal if what I really wanted was a shower. Fortunately one was available straight away.

Easily the best 10 minutes of my day.

Nothing fancy, but clean and has everything you'll need. Main thing it was available, last time I tried to have a shower, I couldn't get one. My poor seat neighbors.

Pau Cassals lounge is universally liked and for all the good reasons. Nevertheless, only very quick refreshment for me, as boarding started very early.

All very nice, although I keep thinking back to the Pan con Tomat I had in this lounge back in 2018 and 2019 and keep wishing it came back. No luck in the last few visits

By the time I reached the gate, most of the people were on board, waiting for a few stragglers and hopeful for no-shows in the case of two stand-by pax. The flight was full full, to the last seat. I offered to take an alternative flight, unfortunately, there were no more options available on the same day, and staying overnight in Barcelona would have tanked my plans. The flight anyway was uneventful, exactly the same service as on my inbound from Amsterdam. I had some food, a prosecco, and mostly dozed off until we arrived early in Rome.

Exactly the same as from Amsterdam yesterday.

Another fairly quick visit to the Hangar lounge, will be described in a separate post.

The flight to Milan is a bus boarding tonight, not great, but at least I get some fresh air…

I had high hopes for the A220, unfortunately, results did not come. Seating was a big disappointment. From seating 2 people in C next to each other on the left, through headrests, which did move, but not quite far enough, to tray tables, which just would not fit. Like, I realize I am far from dainty, but I have a good 4 inches left before I need a seat belt extension. So maybe the tray table should at least be possible to open? I mean, on the Neos, it’s not exactly comfortable, but at least it’s workable, not so here.

Not that it much matters, as this is the extent of the service:

Pitiful.

ITA is advertising for its domestic business class “in the evening an aperitif with sparkling wine and finger food”. Well this ain’t it chief. Nonetheless the flight was on time, a thunderstorm on the horizon provided a bit of inflight entertainment, so I can get by. Would be mad if paying full price on domestic only though, and not the funny fare from BCN.

Hotel of choice for the night is the Moxy Linate. It took me a moment to figure out where to leave the terminal building to get out to the road I wanted to walk along, but once I gathered my bearings, it was no more than 15 minutes of easy walk, even if not through the greatest neighborhood. I’m sure it will be better tomorrow, in the sunshine.

And the same hopefully will be true of the hotel lobby, which was very dark. So dark in fact, that I could not take a good picture, and will have to leave it until morning.
Check in at least was quick and efficient (even if it feels wrong to check in at the bar) and the room is clean and functional.
I was considering whether to have a drink and came to the conclusion, not worth sacrificing sleep… took me way long to realize that if I type this post in my room I am not actually saving anything. Clearly, the lack of sleep is affecting my cognitive functions. So with that, a glass of beer as I edit this post, and I’ll leave you for the night. I was hoping for 8 hours of sleep, 7 will have to do. At least there’s a proper bed.

(as you can guess, the idea of a late dinner in Milan went very out of the window when I was walking from the airport to the hotel, with the singular vision of "bed". ....... brain however did a ....... brain thing, and as soon as I got into the room went "good, bed secured, turning down tiredness level")
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:36 pm

...... brain however did a ....... brain thing, and as soon as I got into the room went "good, bed secured, turning down tiredness level")
I feel your pain, been there so many times. Hope the brain switched off quickly and you’ve gotten a decent rest.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:07 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly the same as from Amsterdam yesterday.
Bread with bread and with more bread.and as a dessert, more bread.
What was that dessert that looks like tiramisu but is not tiramisu?
roadwarriorafrica likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.