BA Holiday 6 day Tier Point run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holiday 6 day Tier Point run

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
We were cleared for take off exactly as expected and off the ground at 07:22.

The meal service commenced quickly and no real surprise that I’d ordered the Kosher breakfast as that is generally my breakfast choice. it was slightly different this week, served in a foil tray and without the usual accompanying bread plate, so no delicious cinnamon bun for me today. The meal was accompanied by a rocket fuel coffee and a glass or three of champagne.

The crew were really very good on this flight, both were personable and efficient and made for a very enjoyable flight.

Pilots announcement that we were on a hold and would be landing at 8:25 has made me slightly nervous, all of the slack for my T5 to T3 connection is gone and so has any chance of a flying visit to the Cathay first lounge.

we’ve just landed at 08:31 and with a 10 minute taxi that gives me under fifty minutes for the T5-T3 transit. It’s achievable but does rely on the luck of the transit gods, we shall see.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Hope you made that tight transfer. Early o'clock departures are avoided in our household at all costs. One of the benefits of aging is not having to be anywhere early on a daily basis so can't wrap our heads around voluntarily getting out of bed before having a nice cup of tea.

Hmm FB status. I was thinking that Gold be doable for me but I'm trying to identify why I need it as we normally buy business class flights. I think my head has been turned by the need to be a FB Platinum to redeem for first.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Made it with 5 minutes to spare after sweet-talking my way through to the emptiest security lane after some tensabarrier shenanigans by the gentleman directing traffic. A bus gate and on the last bus to BA land, just waiting for stragglers. Without the security queue jumping I’d either have been last man standing or offloaded.

No pictures during that little speed walk, I was obviously focused on covering ground at speed

G-EUUE for this leg, another new one for me. Crew are ‘interesting’ this could go either way I think.

There’s no way this is going off on time. Someone has driven a baggage truck into the side of the aircraft! Now waiting for engineers for an inspection.

Flighty just reported a 30 minute delay, I suspect that to be optimistic!

Last edited by JapesUK; Mar 8, 2024 at 3:06 am
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:20 am
Original Poster

My suspicion has proved correct unfortunately. Apparently the paint has been scraped off down to bare metal and the engineer has gone off for tools and paint! BA must have run out of speed tape

What this does mean is another 40 minute delay which now takes us well past the 1 hour mark.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by JapesUK
There’s no way this is going off on time. Someone has driven a baggage truck into the side of the aircraft! Now waiting for engineers for an inspection.

Flighty just reported a 30 minute delay, I suspect that to be optimistic!
Oh no, sorry to hear this. My LHR-BSL in January was delayed as during the pre-flight inspection someone had noticed a 'dent' in the aircraft that wasn't in the log. That caused about a 70 minute delay as they summoned an engineer to check it, measure it, and log it. I hope yours isn't delayed as much!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Well the good news is that it has passed inspection, been cleaned up, and speed tape was deployed as paint would take too long to dry (I did wonder).

Now we are waiting for bags to be loaded as they couldn’t get to the plane because of everyone else surrounding the damaged area.

Bit of luck and we should be away in 10-15 minutes.

This is two in a row for a bit of drama on this route, my last trip to Bucharest was the one where the slide was set off accidentally.

Next stop, Otopani, hopefully!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
You were also on the one with the unplanned slide deployment, were you not?
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Japes, good of you to build in some short transfer shenanigans into your trip reports for our entertainment, but personally I much rather chose the “time in the lounge solution “🤭

Despite your slumber deprived state I think you need to treat yourself to Bucharest’s finest Țuică on arrival! Enjoy, looking forward to some, non AI, humour over the next few days.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:52 am
Original Poster

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that when the captain announced yet another delay for the engineering team to tape up the wing he also invited anyone that was interested to visit the flight deck. I could see into the cockpit and hear the conversations and the flight crew were really inviting and explained everything and even took pictures of the visitors. Quite a number of people had an experience they will not forget for some time, it was very well done.

Once we were in the air the crew were in no great hurry to commence service, an approach I heartily agree with on these longer flights. As soon as the meals were ready they served the special orders first and mine turned out to be a second helping of the Kosher breakfast, this time with the bread tray and delicious cinnamon bun. After the specials had been distributed they then came down the cabin with standard meals and drinks

Most of the flight I spent intermittently nodding off while watching The Grand Tour Sand Job however I can say that the crew were very proactive and nobody was left wanting. My one minor niggle was that these guys seemed incapable of traversing back and forth from the galley more than a handful of times without kicking my feet or bumping my arm. I know I take up a lot of space but every other crew somehow manages to work around me!

Having had a couple of glasses of champagne through the flight I decided to bring it to a close with a coffee and a bucket of baileys.

I don’t think there were many people awake for any length of time on this one, cabin lights were dimmed after the meal and most of the blinds were down.

Pilots announcement 160 miles from landing that our arrival was expected to be 30 minutes late so we’ve made up half the departure delay in the air.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atcodave
Japes, good of you to build in some short transfer shenanigans into your trip reports for our entertainment, but personally I much rather chose the “time in the lounge solution “🤭

Despite your slumber deprived state I think you need to treat yourself to Bucharest’s finest Țuică on arrival! Enjoy, looking forward to some, non AI, humour over the next few days.
You know what a giving person I am, happy to have flight chaos for everyone’s amusement

Tuica could well be on the menu for an afternoon nightcap, good call!
atcodave likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
You were also on the one with the unplanned slide deployment, were you not?
Indeed I was, this one wasn’t quite so drastic. Got to love the speed tape!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Arrived the 30 minutes late as expected. Quick taxi and to a jet bridge, thankfully, and then the long walk to a very quiet passport control where I had to spend a bit of time explaining the concept of a tier point run. I’ve been in and out of Bucharest so often and randomly no wonder they think WTH!?

Staying at the Hilton garden inn which is a short walk from the airport. As this is a BA holiday they didn’t have my membership details but easily added and a very nice quiet room assigned

And that brings me up to date. Currently lounging on the bed and next up it’s time to unpack and then take a wander around the hotel
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:51 am

Currently on the receiving end of the paint incident delay 😂 an extra hour sat in the Dacia lounge at OTP , couple of gasps when the captain casually announced the delay was due to someone driving into the plane !
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Arrived the 30 minutes late as expected. Quick taxi and to a jet bridge, thankfully, and then the long walk to a very quiet passport control where I had to spend a bit of time explaining the concept of a tier point run. I’ve been in and out of Bucharest so often and randomly no wonder they think WTH!?
You should have just told them you have a mistress in Bucharest, that's why you visit so often but usually for such a short time
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bigbronzeboy
Currently on the receiving end of the paint incident delay 😂 an extra hour sat in the Dacia lounge at OTP , couple of gasps when the captain casually announced the delay was due to someone driving into the plane !
An extra hour in the OTP lounge is severe punishment for a delay

You have the same flight crew as the outbound, captain and first officer are both very approachable, ask them why there’s sticky tape on the plane The outbound cabin crew are overnighting and I’m heading back with them tomorrow morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.