Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A bit of Argentina - South Georgia - Antarctica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curlingfan
Thanks for taking us on a breathtaking penguin safari! Excellent, educational and entertaining TR! I thought the photos taken with your phone were great.

From what I've read if you have time and are willing to take a chance, you can book last minute trips in Ushuaia. Is that true? Are there a lot of cruise ships? Would there be much price difference? As for food, were there any vegetarian/vegan choices?

I'm not sure where you're planning to go next but I think it's going to be hard to beat this trip. But please share that trip here as well!
Thanks for the feedback !

You can still book last minute trips to get a good deal, but you don't necessarily have to be in Ushuaia as most of the agencies have mailing lists for last minute spots. There were a couple of people who booked spots on our ship at a significant (they didn't say how much) discount about a week before the trip. Of course, it makes it easier if you're already there to jump on something in a few days. It looked like there were usually 1-3 ships departing daily from Ushuaia from my view of the docks, but that's just anecdotal and not a fact. There are many different cruise lines at different price points and capacities (the bigger the ship, generally the less expensive as they can't offer as many off-ship excursions). A decent resource for other people's experiences is a Facebook group called Antarctica Travel Group, which has a lot of admittedly brief reports, but is a great place to ask questions about the different lines and options. None of them are cheap, but it really is the trip of a lifetime - will be hard to top as you say!

There were vegetarian food offerings on the menu, but I didn't look too closely as I'm an omnivore...
curlingfan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Wow, what an amazing trip report! Thanks for sharing OP!

Originally Posted by 13901
Best TR of 2024, even if it's just the end of January.
Agreed!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:00 am

I appreciated this report in that it gave me good info for USH and BA. The 'how to deal with money' links were useful. I am leaving USH today after 3 full days here. I used your restaurant recommendations - the 'family owned pub' and Garibaldi Resto. I was going to try Maria Lola Resto last night, but it didn't open until 8 and I'd just be uncomfortable for the evening, eating that late. I returned to the pub again for a beer and 1/2 pizza. Garibaldi Resto didn't have any king crab (I was looking forward to it); instead I had a rib eye and a salad. The rib eye was perfectly cooked and only one small chewy piece. Very good place. Re: English, and this is not meant to be arrogant, I was surprised as to the lack of English given the 10s of thousands of Antarctica passengers traveling through USH. I did a Beagle Canal excursion - out to see the sea lions and a variety of penguins and then two full day hikes in the TDF. Again, thanks!
deovrat and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Brillant report, thanks a lot for sharing!
At which temperature the sea is at the polar plunge?
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Brillant report, thanks a lot for sharing!
At which temperature the sea is at the polar plunge?
If I remember correctly, the sea temperature was -2 degrees Celsius. Given that the air temperature was only about 4 degrees higher than the sea, it wasn't that bad.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Most incredible trip report I've ever read! Thanks for sharing.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
If I remember correctly, the sea temperature was -2 degrees Celsius. Given that the air temperature was only about 4 degrees higher than the sea, it wasn't that bad.
Jeeez, you are very brave !
As you weren't cold enough you decided to extend the pain with glacier ice in your drinks afterwards...
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Superb report....a trip of a lifetime.
YYCCL3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.