Oriental dreams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Oriental dreams

This will be a short trip report about 4 nights in Marrakech. It had been on our list for a long time. We flew direct to Marrakech with Eurowings from Düsseldorf and stayed at the Amanjena.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:55 pm

Subscribed. Your trip reports are wonderful to read and see. Thank you for taking the time to post them.
offerendum and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by halfcape
Subscribed. Your trip reports are wonderful to read and see. Thank you for taking the time to post them.
Thank you, I'm blushing.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Open Sky Lounge DUS

The day of our departure was quite cold by German standards at minus 6 degrees Celsius. As our flight left at 7 a.m., we had to set off early. After a walk through the cold (car park P7 was not the best idea) we arrived in the fairly quiet departure hall. The security check at the C gates was almost empty, as was passport control.
We then went to the Open Sky Lounge. The offer was slightly better than last time and relatively good when applying the appropriate low standards.

Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Getting Dirhams

At that time, I didn't have a single Moroccan dirham. My bank had offered me 4000 Dirhams for €450. The internet exchange rate was 0.092, which would have meant around €370. I declined. Just for fun, I asked at the exchange office at the airport, where 250 Dirhams would cost €37.50. Thank you.
I'll cash in advance: At the airport in Marrakech, I exchanged €100 for 1000 Dirhams and withdrew 2000 Dirhams with my credit card for €184.59 plus a €7.38 fee.
Vaclav, Desirees, lamphs and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by offerendum
This will be a short trip report about 4 nights in Marrakech. It had been on our list for a long time. We flew direct to Marrakech with Eurowings from Düsseldorf and stayed at the Amanjena.
Will be an avid reader of this one, I’ve a week in Marrakech in May so will be looking for inspiration as nowhere near starting planning that trip yet
offerendum and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flight DUS - RAK

The first, not very positive surprise awaited us at the gate. It was a bus gate, which is the last thing you want in sub-zero temperatures.
The usual bag photos on board.

Then for de-icing.

The flight wasn't really full, the money for the free middle seat was wasted. However, the stewardess told us that the return flight was full.

Off into the sunrise

The landscape shows that we are approaching our destination!

When we arrived at the airport, it was a bit of a pain. Firstly, passport control was quite lengthy and then the passport was checked a second time. When we finally had our suitcases, we had to have them x-rayed again.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I love the sick bags Reminds me of virgin trains humour in the toilets... “Do not flush… broken dreams…”.

Purely out of curiosity, what was the charge to keep the middle seat free?

How long did it take to go from landing to landside?
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Originally Posted by offerendum
Originally Posted by JapesUK
Will be an avid reader of this one, I’ve a week in Marrakech in May so will be looking for inspiration as nowhere near starting planning that trip yet
Looking forward to both of your TRs. Marrakesh has been on my list for a while. I just need to find time to go there
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JapesUK
I love the sick bags Reminds me of virgin trains humour in the toilets... “Do not flush… broken dreams…”.

Purely out of curiosity, what was the charge to keep the middle seat free?

How long did it take to go from landing to landside?
The fee was quite reasonable, €25 per journey. On the return flight, however, it cost me considerably more (although no money), but the story will take a little longer.
The time it took from the plane to the car was, I estimate, 15 to 20 minutes. It was just a bit annoying.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
Looking forward to both of your TRs. Marrakesh has been on my list for a while. I just need to find time to go there
I hope I can give you a few insights.
JapesUK and VorelNaCestach like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Off to the Amanjena

A member of staff with an Amanjena sign was waiting for us at the exit, took our suitcases and took us to a V-Class.

We got our first impressions on the way. The bus doesn't seem to be the means of choice.

I had never seen a mobile petrol station before. It's fascinating that there are even 2 types of fuel.

And then we were finally there!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amanjena

When you arrive at the first gate of the Amanjena, you are in for a surprise.

I don't mean that the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, that should be relatively well known. No, even if you arrive in the hotel's own car, it is first checked for explosives with a mirror.

If you arrive by taxi, the boot is also checked. You are then allowed to drive on to a second gate, which is then opened. Only then do you reach the main entrance.

The usual reception committee including Sven Van Den Broeck was waiting for us.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amanjena

The first thing you enter is the main house, where you first stand in a long colonnaded corridor.

The reception is in a room on the left, behind it there are 2 water basins in which rose petals always floated. Really very beautiful.

Then come 2 larger rooms. The striking spice counter is located in the right-hand room, with the main restaurant leading off from it (more on this later).

To the left was the other room where afternoon tea is served.

Behind it is a very nice bar, but we didn't have a drink there (we only discovered it shortly before we left).

All new arrivals are served tea and sweets here.

The outdoor area.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Water is an important element in Amanjena. The large water basin is located directly behind the main house. It is based on a historic water basin that has been expanded.

There are also a number of water basins that give the Amanjena a very special atmosphere.

There is also lush vegetation.

Colonnades connect the individual areas around the main building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.