Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Myanmar Airways International

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: no
Flying Myanmar Airways International

Myanmar Airways International took me from Mandalay to Bangkok today.
Guess when you are flying on an airline from a country currently in a civil war your expectations should be low.
Anywhere in the world flying in economy, as long as I get from point A to point B, I am normally pretty satisfied.
This morning however when I saw the state of my seat... The crew told me there was nothing to worry about.

First time I saw this in my life. And I flew a lot of flights with airlines based in Myanmar (admittedly most of them under the governance of Aung San Suu Kyi).
Maybe I am overreacting, I let the aviation experts judge it.
gaobest and offerendum like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ooh this is interesting! Looking forward to more.
as for the seat, I believe that once the crew say that the seat is fine, then it’s best to take the seat. Don’t want any dr dao type incident especially in this nation. I’m already intrigued just about being there. I’ll definitely see what else is in this thread.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Hugues
Regional colorit
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess when you are flying on an airline from a country currently in a civil war your expectations should be low.
Anywhere in the world flying in economy, as long as I get from point A to point B, I am normally pretty satisfied.
This morning however when I saw the state of my seat... The crew told me there was nothing to worry about.

First time I saw this in my life. And I flew a lot of flights with airlines based in Myanmar (admittedly most of them under the governance of Aung San Suu Kyi).
Ask for compensation? 10k miles should soften the disappointment.
bobbytables likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They could have dressed up that armrest with a fashionable knee high.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: no
Originally Posted by TomMM
Ask for compensation? 10k miles should soften the disappointment.
Actually more curious if finding a seat in this condition is something that happens on more classic airlines.
My flights was about 95 USD, so not super expensive, but Air Asia offers cheaper fares from Mandalay to Bangkok (to DMK not Suvarnabhumi like MAI). Myanmar Airways International is a "legacy", but at this point what is supposed to be the premium of this legacy compared to a low coast ?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually more curious if finding a seat in this condition is something that happens on more classic airlines.
My flights was about 95 USD, so not super expensive, but Air Asia offers cheaper fares from Mandalay to Bangkok (to DMK not Suvarnabhumi like MAI). Myanmar Airways International is a "legacy", but at this point what is supposed to be the premium of this legacy compared to a low coast ?
I personally have a lot more confidence in Tony Fernandes than many SE Asian "legacies", but you were rewarded with an experience that we find interesting...probably wouldn't be the case if you had gone with Air Asia.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First

If you hadn't told us differently, I would have scrolled past quickly just thinking it was another photo of an American Airlines A320.
SFO777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.