Wiki Posts
Search

Trenta: A Birthday Adventure to the Tuscan Countryside

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93;35571601
[color=#000000
We ordered at the counter and our food was brought out to the table a few minutes later. I'm not sure if we just got the last of a batch or what but it wasn't particularly fresh. The fish was fine but the fries were lukewarm and lacked crisp. Though Mrs. ATX Jetsetter said that the onion rings were very good.

[/color]
The chips in your photo look like normal chips here, especially 'chip shop chips'. They should be hot though, not lukewarm!

After your earlier comments about baked beans, surprised to see them on your plate at LHR!
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by nequine
After your earlier comments about baked beans, surprised to see them on your plate at LHR!
It's not a "full English" if there's more fresh fruit than beans
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:45 am

Very true!
Old Sep 12, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
The chips in your photo look like normal chips here, especially 'chip shop chips'. They should be hot though, not lukewarm!

Oh, the fries looked fine, they did not taste fine however. Also, in my defense, the beans were on my wife's plate!
nequine likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:52 am

Chip shop chips do taste slightly differently to "standard" chips. I personally enjoy them as usually they have a bit more flavour.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Chip shop chips do taste slightly differently to "standard" chips. I personally enjoy them as usually they have a bit more flavour.
I typically do too, these were just cold. I got the end of the batch for sure
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:01 am

Not so nice!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

British Airways B777-300 Club Suites Business Class (LHR-IAH)

To wrap up our trip, we flew British Airways' new Club Suites on the B777-300 from London Heathrow to Houston-Intercontinental. For a long time, British Airways was known for their terrible 2-4-2 business class layout with the old "coffin" Club World seats. In 2019 the airline unveiled a new Club Suite and I was looking forward to checking it out.

Currently, the Club Suite can be found on All Airbus A350 and Boeing 787-10 aircraft. In addition, all of the London Heathrow based Boeing 777-200's feature Club Suites while the Gatwick based planes do not. The majority of the 777-300's have been retrofitted but there are a few stragglers flying around that have yet to be updated. I was worried we would end up with a swap to the old seats, as that happened to some friends of ours a few weeks earlier, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Booking
This flight was a continuation of our FCO-LHR flight the day before and I booked the whole trip for 57.5k American AAdvantage miles each plus a whopping $500 in taxes and fees. Those fuel surcharges when transiting London are steep but it was still a better deal than paying cash for our tickets.

Pre-Flight
We arrived at London's Heathrow airport just before 7:30a and were dropped off by our Uber at Terminal 5. Since today's flight was a continuation of our FCO-LHR-IAH itinerary, our bags had been checked through to Houston and our boarding passes were issued in Rome. Since we didn't need to stop by the check-in desks, we headed straight for security.

Thanks to our Business Class tickets, we were able to use the Fast Track security lane and with only a few people in line, we made it to the front quickly.

Those of you that have traveled through Heathrow know that the security can be sticklers when it comes to the clear plastic bag rule at the checkpoint. My bag was immediately flagged going through the belt so I knew something was left in there but what happened next had me laughing at the stupidity of it all. The agent pulled my bag aside and immediately identified the culprit, a small bottle of hand sanitizer shoved in one of the pockets. He took it out, showed it to me, told me about the bag rule, and then dropped the bottle in a plastic bag which he handed to me. Since I was already through security, I took it, thanked him, removed the hand sanitizer from the bag, placed it back in my backpack, and threw the bag away at the checkpoint. Hopefully these occurrences occur less and less as the country moves towards new security rules in 2024.

Lounge
After clearing security we headed off to the lounge. British Airways operates 3 business class lounges in Heathrow's Terminal 5, the Galleries North and South Lounges in T5A as well as a satellite lounge in T5B. We headed to the Galleries North lounge as it was adjacent to the security checkpoint. The full lounge review is above.

Boarding
Our gate was posted about 30 minutes before scheduled boarding time and we left the lounge 10 minutes before boarding was scheduled to begin. We were departing from T5B which meant a shuttle ride over to the B Gates. T5A was absolutely packed but we found that T5B was much calmer and more relaxing. Next time we transit through Heathrow we'll likely head to the satellite lounge here.

At the gate, we saw our waiting Boeing 777-300 that would be shuttling us over to Houston this morning.

Our boarding time came and went as a crowd started to build at the gate. There were agents at the desk working so I was hopeful any delay would be minimal. Boarding started 15 minutes late with First Class being invited to board followed by Club World. After a quick scan of our boarding passes we headed off down the stairs to the jet bridge. Part of the delay was due to the fact that the escalator was out of order so passengers either had to carry bags down the stairs or wait on the elevator

British Airways
BA 195
FCO-LHR (London Heathrow - Houston-Intercontinental)
Seat: 21F (Business)
B777-300 (G-STBG)
Scheduled: 9:35a-1:55p
Actual: 9:43a-1:32p

We boarded through door 2L and made a right into the rear business class cabin. British Airways has a whopping 18 rows of Business Class on their Heathrow based 777-300s and we headed all the way back to rows 20 and 21. At first glance I was impressed with the overall design of the cabin. It felt modern and luxurious without the bling you find on some other airlines.

Seat
When I went to assign us seats for free, thanks to my American Airlines status, British Airways kept trying to charge me on the website even though I had my AAdvantage number on the reservation. Finally, I called AA and got us adjoining seats in the center of the aircraft in row 15. Unfortunately those seats didn't stick as I had to re-select seats at check-in. While we weren't able to sit together, I was able to get us close to one another as 20K and 21K were both open at check in.

Waiting at our seats upon boarding was a pillow and a set of headphones sealed in a plastic bag. The headphones were ok, but not great quality. The flight attendant working our section of the cabin also came around with beverages as we were getting settled, offering a choice of water, juice, or champagne.

To the right of the seat were three storage containers. One of which held the amenity kit and a bottle of water. There was also a large mirror on the inside of the door.

The amenity kit was 'The White Company' branded and held socks, an eye mask, earplugs, pen, lotion, dental kit, and relaxation mist.

The two smaller cubbies to the right of the seat were shallow but could hold a passport, wallet, phone, etc. It was also where the IFE controller, power, and headphone jack was located.

Below the storage compartments were the controls for the seat. There were three pre-set positions and many other options to customize the seat to your liking.

On the wall next to the storage locker was a small light that could be activated with a push. Since this was a daytime flight I didn't use it but I do appreciate it when flying overnight as the small light is less disruptive to other passengers than the overhead lights.

On the left side of the seat was the slider for the door which, when deployed, provided a great deal of privacy. It is worth noting that the door is locked in the open position during taxi, take-off, and landing.

At the front of the seat was a large IFE screen that was crisp and responsive to the touch. You could also utilize the IFE remote to navigate which was great when the seat is reclined even slightly.

There was also a wide variety of movies and TV shows which kept me occupied throughout the flight.

Stowed underneath the IFE screen was the trat table, which could be released by a latch and adjusted as needed. The table also could fold over to be larger or smaller.

Finally, underneath the IFE screen was the ottoman and a canvas bag which held bedding from The White Company. Since it was a daytime flight I ended up storing this in the overhead bin and didn't touch it for the duration of the flight.

Menu
While boarding was wrapping up, I took the time to peruse the menu. Service for today's flight would consist of a lunch shortly after departure followed by an afternoon tea service prior to landing. The full menu can be seen below.

Departure
Boarding was completed 8 minutes after our scheduled departure time and as we began our pushback the captain came over the radio to inform us of our flying time and provided a weather update. He also stated that, even with the delay they expected smooth flying and anticipated an early arrival into Houston. As we started our taxi, the safety video was played.

Heathrow is one of the most crowded airports in the world so it wasn't a surprise that we had quite a long taxi during the morning transatlantic departure bank. Thankfully, there are a number of unique airlines serving the airport so I passed the time looking out the window at the many widebodies heading to various corners of the globe.

Thirty minutes after pushing off of the gate, it was our turn and we started our takeoff roll before lumbering out of London Heathrow into the gray morning sky.

Lunch
Once we reached our cruising altitude, the flight attendants immediately started with the lunch service. Though, thanks to the size of the cabin, and some inexperience from the crew, the service flow was drawn out and choppy.

First was a hot towel that was offered 15 minutes after take-off.

Beverage orders were then taken and I went with a glass of champagne which was served on a small tray along with some Socca nut mix 30 minutes later.

Lunch orders were then taken, I chose the smoked tomato and coriander soup with mozzarella cream for my starter. This was served on a tray 30 minutes after the beverage service along with a white tablecloth. It was accompanied by some bread, butter, and a small salad. The mozzarella cream also looked like an astronaut which I enjoyed, though I doubt that was intentional. The soup was a tad on the salty side but overall quite good.

One hour and forty minutes after the hot towels were distributed, the mains were served. I had the braised beef cheeks which were cooked perfectly. It was one of the best meals I've had on an airplane in a long time and absolutely blew our not so great dining experience on Air France out of the water.

Finally, two hours after departure, the cheese course was served. The cheese course consisted of Camembert, Coastal Cheddar and Shropshire Blue cheeses and was served with apricots and a plum chutney.

In-Flight
Once the meal was completed, I headed to the restroom to change into some more comfortable clothes and relax for a bit. The restroom was on the smaller size, especially for a premium cabin on a widebody, but it was kept relatively clean throughout the flight. Toiletries from The White Company were also available.

Back at my seat, I shut the door to my suite and fired up a couple of movies to pass the time, starting with The King of Staten Island. The movie was ok, but not great and I alternated between watching it and looking out the window.

After the movie I was feeling slightly peckish so I headed to the galley where a selection of snacks and beverages had been set up. There were chips, candy, soda, wine, and beer set up for self service.

I grabbed some chips and a glass of bubbly and headed back to my seat. Most folks seemed to be fast asleep by this part of the flight, including Mrs. WS93.

At this point we were near Pittsburgh and had roughly two and a half hours left in the flight, so I fired up another movie on the IFE. We hit some slight chop over West Virginia and the seatbelt sign came on momentarily.

Afternoon Tea
An hour and twenty minutes before arrival, the cabin crew began the afternoon tea service. There were two different sandwich selections available and I selected the pastrami with mustard crème fraiche, prawn on mini brioche, and Emmental and brie on rye. This was served on a single tray along with a sponge cake and a scone.

The food was good though I wished it was more substantial given the fact it was past dinner London time.

Arrival
As we approached Houston from the East, we had to dodge a few afternoon thunderstorms that popped up near the airport. While we had a few bumps, it provided a nice view on approach.

Once on the ground, we had a 10 minute taxi over to Terminal D where we disembarked through door 1L. With such a large business class cabin, it took another 5-10 minutes for us to deplane and head for customs and immigration.

Mrs. WS93 has Global Entry while I still don't (It's been on my to-do list for years) so she beat me through and was waiting at baggage claim with our luggage. From there we headed out into the terminal and over to the United desk to check in for our final flight home to Austin.

Summary
I went into this flight cautiously optimistic and was absolutely blown away. It had been a few years since I had last flown with British Airways and my prior experiences were less than stellar. The new Club Suite is fantastic and provides a wonderful amount of privacy. The food was delicious and the crew was extremely friendly, even if the service flow was slow. With British Airways flying the A350 with Club Suites nonstop between Austin and London, I may not be able to convince Mrs. WS93 to fly anything else.

For more photos and additional trip reports, visit
ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram and Twitter!
lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Great report as always, WS93.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
With British Airways flying the A350 with Club Suites nonstop between Austin and London, I may not be able to convince Mrs. WS93 to fly anything else.
Ha! After flying Club Suites last year, I’m having a hard time convincing my girlfriend to fly anything else. This go around, I was able to get her on BA195 so I think I’m out of excuses. BA was using an old Club World 77W for the couple of months, but they’ve swapped to the 772 the last week. For my sake, I hope it sticks.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
Great report as always, WS93.

Ha! After flying Club Suites last year, I’m having a hard time convincing my girlfriend to fly anything else. This go around, I was able to get her on BA195 so I think I’m out of excuses. BA was using an old Club World 77W for the couple of months, but they’ve swapped to the 772 the last week. For my sake, I hope it sticks.
Thanks dat4life! The above flight was also BA 195, most of the 77W's out of Heathrow have been overhauled and feature the new product.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 12:54 am

Great trip report from you

When you transited at IAH did you have to clear security again? I'm doing a transit next year on the way back to the UK and just wondering if I'd need to re-clear security.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Gold
Great trip report from you

When you transited at IAH did you have to clear security again? I'm doing a transit next year on the way back to the UK and just wondering if I'd need to re-clear security.
You will not need to reclear security if you are connecting from a US destination (or most Canadian destinations and a few Caribbean destinations) to an international flight at IAH.

If you are flying UK-IAH-Anywhere, you WILL need to reclear security.
nequine and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 8:46 am

Thanks for clairfying that for me, I'm tansiting in Phoenix for the flight back to LHR.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for clairfying that for me, I'm tansiting in Phoenix for the flight back to LHR.
Then you would need to re-clear security in Phoenix
nequine likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 10:39 am
Original Poster

United A319 Economy (IAH-AUS)

To close out our amazing trip to Tuscany we needed to get back to Austin after arriving in British Airways' Club Suites from London. A short jump from Houston to Austin isn't much to get excited about, so think of this as a mini-review of sorts.

Booking
Initially we were planning to head to Dallas after our arrival in Houston since Mrs. WS93's parents were going to be watching our dog and my truck was there since we had started our trip from DFW. I booked us a cheap, one way cash fare on United Express for under $300 total. After booking, Mrs. WS93's mom decided to go on a cruise with her mother and her dad realized that, with everyone gone, he'd rather vacation at our house in Austin. So he drove our truck back to Austin with the dog and we rebooked our flights in the United app for a small fare difference.

Pre-Flight
After clearing customs in Houston, we tried to navigate the maze that is International Arrivals and get back over to Terminal E to check in for our flight and drop our bags. Due to the ongoing construction, you can't access Terminal E from the International arrivals area so we had to backtrack through Terminal D. While Terminal E is used for all United international flights, Terminal D is for everyone else so I was happy to find a small United counter in the far corner of the terminal. I'm not sure if this is a temporary space or if it is here to facilitate connections for other Star Alliance partners.

After a short wait we were helped by a friendly agent to took our bags and issued our boarding passes. We also asked to be put on standby for the earlier United flight and she quickly issued us those passes as well. With our bags tagged to Austin we headed off to security and the American Express Centurion Lounge.

Lounge
While we didn't have lounge access on this domestic Economy ticket, we were able to access the Centurion Lounge thanks to our AmEx Platinum Cards. In addition to the Centurion Lounge, AmEx Platinum and other Priority Pass cardholders can access the KLM Crown Lounge, Air France Lounge, and Minute Suites at IAH.

Boarding
Boarding for the earlier flight to Austin was scheduled to begin at 3:45p from Gate E9. We left the lounge in Terminal D just before 3:30p to give us plenty of time to make it to the gate prior to boarding. The standby list wasn't looking good for us as we were 1-2 for 0 seats, but we kept our fingers crossed.

I checked in with the agent before boarding began and he said there likely weren't enough seats, but to hang out on the side of the podium until boarding was completed.

While we waited I got a glimpse of what I hoped would be our ride to Austin that afternoon.

As boarding wrapped up a few of the folks on the standby list started to gather around. We were still 1-2 on the list and thankfully, after hitting a couple of buttons, the gate agent handed us some boarding passes and shut the door behind us as we walked down the jetway.

United Airlines
UA 1596
IAH-AUS (Houston-Intercontinental - Austin-Bergstrom International)
Seat: 35A (Economy)
A319-100 (N892UA)
Scheduled: 4:20p-5:18p
Actual: 4:22p-5:15p

Seat
Since we were last minute standby additions to the flight, we were scattered on the plane. Mrs. WS93 ended up with seat 32B while I ended up with 35A, which is the last row of the plane. I've flown plenty of flights in United Economy but the last row seemed even tighter than usual. It also didn't help that the flight was completely full so there was no room to stretch out. But, we didn't really care, we just wanted to get home.

Departure
We pushed back a couple of minutes behind schedule and taxied out to the West side of the airport before taking off to the South. The afternoon traffic combined with the storms made for a longer than usual taxi due to congestion.

Once airborne, we made a quick, and extremely bumpy turn to the West to head for Austin. I'm not sure if it was because I was at the rear of the plane or not, but the departure climb seemed much rougher than what I've experienced in the past.

In Flight
We spent only 29 minutes in the air on this flight and with no in-flight service, and the fact we never got above 20,000 feet, I just looked out the window as we chugged towards Austin.

Arrival
We flew a northern approach into Austin and overflew the Tesla Gigafactory in East Austin before lining up for Runway 18L.

Once on the ground, we pulled off onto the taxiway with the flaps still deployed and had to stop for a few minutes until they were released and we taxied over to our gate.

We pulled in next to another United A319 and after deplaning made our way to baggage claim. Our priority tagged bags were some of the first off the belt (since they likely got loaded last) and we were in an Uber to the house a few minutes later.

Summary
On a flight this short, all you really want is to get from point A to point B with no issues. While it wasn't the most comfortable flight, it was only in the air for 29 minutes and we were back at home a couple hours earlier than originally planned.

Thanks for coming along on this amazing trip to Tuscany for my 30th birthday! For more photos and additional trip reports, visit
ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram and Twitter!
HNL1K, offerendum, lamphs and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.