Trenta: A Birthday Adventure to the Tuscan Countryside

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trenta: A Birthday Adventure to the Tuscan Countryside

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Air France Air & Rail Connection (Paris-CDG)

After flying in from New York in Air France Business Class it was time to continue our journey on to Brussels. Air France has partnered with SNCF, the French national railway company, to provide rail connections beyond Paris Charles de Gaulle on a single ticket.

I booked our Air & Rail connection direct with Air France for 57,500 Flying Blue miles in Business Class from New York-JFK to Brussels-Midi with a connection in Paris. For all train trips booked through Air & Rail, passengers are assigned seats in the First Class cabin regardless of the class of service on your flight.

Unfortunately, aside from my app showing a train icon for the Paris-Brussels leg, there was no indication anywhere that this was a train ticket. The app showed an Air France Flight number as well as a three letter code typically associated with airports. Air France falls short in explaining the transfer as there was no additional communication from anyone else along our journey. I had read the information section on their website in advance but it could be confusing for folks who have trouble getting around or can get confused in airports.

With the Air and Rail connections becoming more common, especially with new travel regulations on short haul flights, I’d love to see them better communicate how to go about using this service.

Once we arrived from New York and cleared customs and immigration, we followed the signs for the train station. These are pretty easy to spot and located throughout the terminal.

After following the signs to the train station, we found ourselves in a large atrium surrounded by shops, ticket counters, and transfer companies. We had to walk around a bit but eventually found the Air & Rail desk after 3-4 minutes.

Once inside, we were greeted by an agent who checked us in and provided our tickets for the train. Typically, they also offer to take your bags and load them on the train for you. However, they were short staffed so we had to keep our bags with us as we waited for our train. While all passengers booked on Air & Rail connections get First Class seats on the train, passengers connecting from a First or Business Class flight receive a €16 voucher that can be redeemed at the lobby bar of the Sheraton hotel located in the atrium one level up.

Tickets and vouchers in hand, we headed up to the Sheraton where we were greeted at the front desk. A bellman took our bags and stored them while we headed over to the Galaxy bar.

There was a short wait for a table, not because it was full but due to staffing, but we were seated at a comfortable booth near the bar soon after arrival.

For those interested, the menu for the Galaxy bar read as follows.

With our internal clocks all messed up, we didn’t have a clear meal we wanted even though it was lunchtime in Paris, so we ordered some fries to split along with a coffee, cappuccino, and a beer.

The lobby bar was a pleasant place to pass the time and we ended up only paying a couple of Euro out of pocket. It certainly beats sitting in the hot atrium waiting on our train.

Our train to Brussels was departing at 1:07p so we left the Sheraton at 12:50 and headed down to our assigned track.

Summary
If you know what you’re doing and where to go, the plane to train connection can be relatively painless, other than the long walk to the station. However, if it is your first time transiting, just know that you may be on your own. Now that I’m an Air & Rail veteran, I would definitely book one of these connections again.

For more photos and additional trip reports, visit ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Interesting - don't see many AF Air & Rail reviews here.

In your introduction you mentioned it was difficult to find J class inventory... Was the pricing for JFK-CDG significantly more expensive than JFK-CDG-Brussels or was Brussels originally on the docket? If so, it would be the first time (in my limited experience) I've seen award married segment logic that includes a rail segment.

I suppose if you wanted to just stay in Paris you could skip that rail segment.
tom tulpe likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by bj27
Interesting - don't see many AF Air & Rail reviews here.

In your introduction you mentioned it was difficult to find J class inventory... Was the pricing for JFK-CDG significantly more expensive than JFK-CDG-Brussels or was Brussels originally on the docket? If so, it would be the first time (in my limited experience) I've seen award married segment logic that includes a rail segment.

Brussels was never on the itinerary until this popped up. Adding in Brussels was a significant discount as I believe just JFK-CDG was over 200,000 FB miles per person.

We could have stayed in Paris but neither of us had been to Belgium before and probably wouldn't have a reason to go anytime soon so we decided to go for it
bj27 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
You would go to the Air & Rail connection counter, get your train ticket, keep your luggage, go to the Sheraton to cash your voucher, and then never board the TGV but hop on a Paris-bound RER instead. There's no way of checking whether you actually boarded the train.
marks88, bj27 and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

SNCF TGV inOui First Class (Paris-Brussels)

After flying across the Atlantic in Air France’s 777-300 Business Class, it was time for us to catch a TGV train to our final destination of Brussels.

Booking
Air France offers plane to train connections from their hub at Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport to Brussels through a partnership with SNCF, the French rail operator. At first glance, when booking this type of ticket, you may not notice that the Paris-Brussels leg is via rail as the station in Brussels has an IATA code (ZYR) and the train service has an Air France flight number accompanying it.

Pre-Trip
After making our way over from the arrivals hall to the train station, we first headed for the Air France Air&Rail counter to get our boarding passes. Typically you can also drop your bags here and have it loaded on the train for you however, due to someone calling in sick, they didn't have enough people working to provide this service. above for a full writeup on the transfer.

Boarding
Our train was scheduled to depart from the Paris-CDG railway station at 1:07p. Our train was departing from Platform 5 and, after a quick check of our tickets we were on the platform just after 1:00p.

At 1:04p our TGV inOui train pulled into the station and, after waiting for passengers to disembark, we were on board a minute later.

SNCF TGV inOui
TGV 9862
CDG-ZYR (Paris Charles de Gaulle International - Brussels-South)
Seat: 63 (First)
TGV POS
Scheduled: 1:07p-3:25p
Actual: 1:07p-3:25p

Once on board, we made our way to our assigned seats, 63 and 64, located in the second car. Seats were arranged in a 1-2 layout with some seats facing each other to form pods of 2 and 4. Our seats were side by side and resembled standard domestic first class seats. The seats were finished in a gray cloth with some seats sporting lime green. They looked pretty dingy and well worn.

Journey
Our train pulled out of the station exactly on schedule and soon we were rolling through the countryside outside of Paris.

About 20 minutes after leaving Charles de Gaulle, Mrs. WS93 was fast asleep and I headed back to the bar car to see what was on offer. No other service was offered on this train. The bar car, branded 'Le Bar', had a variety of packaged snacks and drinks available for purchase as well as some sandwiches that could be served warm.

There was also a couple of standing bar counters as well as a few seats available should you want to enjoy your snack there.

I ordered a cup of coffee and a Heineken which I took back to my seat. Not wanting to disturb Mrs. WS93 and wanting to spread out myself, I moved up to the empty 4 seat pod with a table.

Soon, we were pulling into our first of 3 intermediate stops at the TGV Haute Picardie station.

Twenty minutes later we rolled into Arras and I passed the time working on this trip report.

Finally, we pulled into our last stop before Brussels at Lille-Europe. This stop took slightly longer than usual as only the rear half of the train was continuing on to Brussels, so we had to decouple.

Back on our way, we made the final run across the border into Belgium and pulled into Brussels-South station about 2 hours and 15 minutes after departing Paris.

Arrival
Our train pulled in right on time and a minute later we were on the platform.

The station was a madhouse and we navigated towards the crowds before finding the tracks for local trains to connect up to Brussels-Centraal and our hotel in the nearby Sablon district.

For more photos and additional trip reports, visit
ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter!
Old Jul 19, 2023, 3:54 pm

Apologies if I missed it. Is the SNCF partnership something you sought out (or were previously aware of) vs. it was an option when booking US->Brussels? (I want to think UA has some domestic connections via Amtrak or bus.)
Old Jul 19, 2023, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Apologies if I missed it. Is the SNCF partnership something you sought out (or were previously aware of) vs. it was an option when booking US->Brussels? (I want to think UA has some domestic connections via Amtrak or bus.)
I knew that some of the european airlines had partnerships (Lufthansa/Deutsche Bahn, Air France/SNCF, etc.) but I didn't specifically seek this out.

I was trying to find business class award tickets for 2 from the US to Europe and New York-Brussels was the cheapest by far. If I cut out the train portion and just went to Paris it was 200k+ per seat
lamphs likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon

After an extremely long two days of travel, we finally arrived in Brussels for the first leg of our vacation. We arrived from Paris on a TGV train which deposited us at Brussels-South station. We hopped on a quick commuter train to Brussels-Central which was a short walk from our home for the week, the NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon.

Booking
When we first decided to go to Brussels I started at my usual place, Marriott.com. I wasn’t thrilled by what was available, especially for the price and location, so I turned to American Express. I hadn’t yet used my $200 hotel credit from my Platinum Card and found a great rate at the NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon as part of the The Hotel Collection.

The price for two nights came out to just under $600. With the $200 hotel credit and $100 property credit we ended up being out of pocket less than $300 for our two night stay in the city. Not bad for the last weekend in June.

The hotel is centrally located in Brussel and is a short walk from the Brussels-Central train station. The Sablon neighborhood, while close to the center of town, still feels distinctly residential. The streets are lined with small shops and cafes and residents could be seen strolling to and from their homes above.

Sablon District - Brussels

The hotel overlooked the Grand Sablon square and was flanked by high end shops and art galleries. Since we only had a couple of days in the city, the central location was great and we were able to get around town with ease.

Check-In
We arrived at the hotel right at 4:00p and saw a massive crowd waiting out front. Apparently there was a renaissance festival of sorts occurring in the square and the crowd had gathered to watch jousting. A hotel employee confirmed that we were staying at the hotel (most people don’t show up to a renaissance fair with two large suitcases) and showed us inside. We later learned that the Renaissance Village was part of the larger Brussels Ommegang happening during our visit.

There were a couple of people ahead of us at reception but we were helped within a couple of minutes. Our booking through American Express’ The Hotel Collection was recognized and we were informed we had been upgraded to a room overlooking the square. A brief explanation of the hotel’s amenities were provided and they also gave us a paper map of the city, which I thought was kind of strange given everyone has a smartphone now.

From there, we headed to the opposite side of the lobby to the elevators and headed up to our room on the 4th floor.

Room
We were assigned Room 421, which was a standard king room with a square view. The room itself was quite spacious and there was a ton of natural light. Everything in the room felt fresh and modern.

Upon entry, the bathroom was to the right while a short hallway led to the main portion of the room. The room featured a king sized bed, flanked by two nightstands with a sofa in front. The wall also had a funky leather design which served as the headboard.

On the other side of the room was a desk with a TV mounted above it and a seating area that had a chair, lamp, and small table. There was a complimentary bottle of sparkling water and a welcome note on the table.

Two large sets of windows provided a great view out over the square and of the Church of Our Lady of Victories at the Sablon.

Back towards the bathroom was a coffee station, safe, minibar, and a floor length mirror.

The coffee station featured a Nespresso machine and a selection of pods that were refilled daily. There was also an additional bottle of water available.

The bathroom was huge and, upon entry, there were dual vanities off to the right which were stocked with toiletries.

Across from this was a shower/tub combo which featured NH Collection branded reusable toiletries.

Next to the tub/shower combo was another, stand alone shower.

Finally, in the rear of the restroom was a toilet with a separate bidet. There were also a pair of bathrobes hanging next to the toilet for our use.

Though our goal when traveling is to spend as much time out exploring as possible, the room was more than sufficient for our needs and extremely comfortable.

Property
The main activity hub of the hotel was in the lobby. Each morning, there was a breakfast buffet set up here with a wide variety of items to choose from. Though we never ate here as we prefer to try and eat at local pastry shops for breakfast while out sightseeing.

Across from the check in desks there was a snack cart that had some free gummy candy available. While this is a feature I never thought I needed, I did grab a few gummies each time we walked by.

There was a wide array of seating available in the lobby as well as a lower level that had additional seating and conference rooms.

Finally, near the front of the hotel was the Hispania Brasserie. We didn’t have a meal here but we did stop into the bar late one night for cocktails. We, unfortunately, had some issues when trying to pay with our credit as there is an issue between the hotel and restaurant when it comes to utilization. Ultimately, they were able to sort it out after the manager and the front desk chatted for a bit.

Summary
Just like Brussels, the NH Collection was never on my radar prior to this trip. We came in with no expectations and didn’t know much about the hotel at all, outside of the location. We had a wonderful stay and would absolutely stay at the NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon during our next visit. I’ll be on the lookout for other NH Collection hotels on my future travels to Europe.

For more photos and additional trip reports, visit ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Exploring Brussels

After two days of traveling we finally made it to Brussels. While a visit wasn’t on our initial itinerary, it was the best place to find award availability so we decided to take a couple of days and explore! After dropping our bags at our hotel, and a quick shower to wash the travel off, we headed out to see the city.

The Renaissance faire that was setup in the square was on a break, I later learned that it was part of the annual Ommegang festivities, so we walked out of the Grand Sablon Square, first passing Petit Sablon Square, and then headed towards the Palais de Justice. Unfortunately, the building was covered in scaffolding which detracted some from the overall design.

To the right of the Palais de Justice was The View Bruxelles observation Ferris wheel. It stood in stark contrast to the surrounding area and was perched at the top of a hill overlooking the Marollen neighborhood below. There was an elevator down to the Marollen so we hopped in and headed down. It reminded me of a smaller version of the Santa Justa Lift in Lisbon.

We wandered around the neighborhood and popped in and out of a couple of shops before finding ourselves at the Church of Our Lady of the Chapel. I’ll say at this point we had no idea where we were going nor what we would find around the next corner. There was a memorial to Pieter Bruegel the Elder on the side which, while I have no clue who he is, was neat looking.

After passing the church we stumbled upon a pedestrian street lined with restaurants and bars, the Rue de Rollebeek. With the sky looking like rain was on the way, we cruised up the street in search of shelter and cold drinks. We grabbed a couple of seats at Café Pastel on the covered portion of their patio and ordered some drinks. It started to drizzle and we sipped on cocktails before continuing on up the road.

We didn’t realize that we had basically made it back to the square where our hotel was located and the Pierre Marcolini shop caught our eye. The exterior was decorated with a ton of large flowers and inside we found a massive selection of sweets and chocolates. We loaded up on some sweets and headed back to our hotel to change and get ready for dinner.

Back at the hotel, there were some sweets also waiting for us in celebration of my birthday which was a nice surprise.

Our dinner reservation was at 7:30p so we headed out from the hotel around 6:45p and took the long way around to do some more sightseeing. The jousters were back in action in front of the hotel so we stopped and watched them go at it for a few minutes before heading off in the direction of the Royal Palace of Brussels.

Much like the Palais de Justice, the Royal Palace was also undergoing some renovation work and it was partially obscured by scaffolding, though still impressive nonetheless.

We continued down the Boulevard de Waterloo, past many high end shops and made our way towards the Porte de Hal where the restaurant, Le Bistro, was located. The space was small but spread out over multiple levels which made it feel much larger. The restaurant was buzzing with the evening dinner rush and seemed like a mix of tourists and locals.

We were seated quickly and, starving, ordered soon after arrival. Mrs. WS93 was excited about all of the mussels available and ordered a large steamer pot of them for her dinner while I had the fish, both of which were delicious. After dinner, we got the check and were offered two complimentary glasses of an after dinner spirit which was a nice touch.

From there, we headed back towards the Sablon on the Rue Haute and headed for Plumette, a local cocktail bar that had some great ratings that was a short walk from Le Bistro. There were some fun street art installations over the streets which gave a festive vibe to the area even though the sky was turning gray.

It began to rain again as we neared Plumette so I was happy when we ducked in and they had a table ready for us. The place was absolutely packed. The mood inside was lively but subdued and we ordered a couple of after dinner drinks. I had a smoked Manhattan and we relaxed at the end of a long travel day. We finally called it a night and headed back to the hotel around 10:00p, jet lag finally catching up to us.

The next day we spent most of our time in Bruges, which I’ll write up in a separate post, and returned to Brussels just after 6:00p. We wanted to go and check out the older part of the city, near the Grand-Place, but first decided to check out the antique market that had popped up across the street from the hotel. While we weren’t looking for anything in particular, I did find a cool keyboard looking thing sporting an Air India sticker that was older than me.

We wandered over towards the Grand-Place and spent some time walking the streets. The architecture in this part of town was absolutely amazing.

In the square, there was a practice underway for the Ommegang festivities later that night. A large group was out twirling flags and a review stand had been set up to one side.

From the Grand-Place, we made our way over to the Delirium Café and surrounding bars. We stopped in to grab a beer and I heard a tourist ask one of my favorite questions of the entire trip.
Tourist: I’ll just have a standard Belgian beer.
Delirium Bartender: Sir, that doesn’t exist.

Luckily, a table in the alley came available just as we stepped outside so we sat and sipped our beers while we people watched.

After finishing our beers, it was time for dinner. A little before 9:00p we arrived at Chez Leon and were seated on the patio immediately. We passed by earlier in the day and the place was packed so we were looking forward to trying it out. We started off with a couple of beers (when in Belgium ya know) and perused the menu.

Starving, we hopped right in and started with mains, the fish and chips for me and another giant bowl of mussels for Mrs. WS93, both of which were delicious.

After dinner, we headed back towards the main square where the full Ommegang festivities were underway. The crowd was massive so it was hard to get a clear shot of what was happening but everyone seemed to be in a celebratory mood. The square was also lit up in various colors which provided a great visual effect.

We stayed and watched the show for 10-15 minutes. Getting tired, we snuck around the backside of the square and made our way back to the hotel as our time exploring Brussels was coming to an end. While Brussels was a destination that hadn’t been on our radar prior to this trip, we had a fantastic time and would absolutely return to the city in the future. It was intended to be a jumping off point for our Italy trip but, we easily could have spent two or three more days in the city.

ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Our Day in Bruges

When we were planning our short stay in Belgium, one of the places that kept popping up was Bruges. I had heard great things about it so it was something Mrs. WS93 and I wanted to make sure was in our itinerary. Fortunately, Bruges is extremely easy to get to from Brussels as trains run almost hourly throughout the day.

We started our day at Brussels-Centraal station and hopped aboard our Bruges bound train. It was extremely packed at this hour as the train had originated at the airport but by the time we deposited passengers at Brussels-South we were able to find some seats.

Aside from two extremely loud and rude American women, the trip out was pleasant and we chatted for a while with a father/son who were returning home from a trip. After about an hour our train rolled into Bruges and we headed off towards the city center. We didn’t have any real plans so we just followed the path along the river towards town and eventually found ourselves on a busy pedestrian street lined with shops.

Mrs. WS93 and I spent some time popping in and out of the various shops but didn’t see anything that we had to have. Getting hungry, we headed towards the Grote Markt which was buzzing and surrounded by restaurants.

All of the restaurants on the square were packed and charging prices in line with their prime locations, so we ducked down a side street to look for a quieter place to grab lunch. We found a small square along the Sint-Amandsstraat that had a few restaurants surrounding it and it was a much quieter area, just a block from the Grote Markt.

We grabbed a table at Restaurant Beethoven and ordered some local beer while we perused the menu.

After ordering, the tables around us started to fill in and by the time that our mains arrived the square was packed with people enjoying lunch. I had a delicious order of fish and chips which paired well with the local beer.

Stuffed from lunch we walked back through the square and headed out the north side into a quieter, more residential part of the city. We walked along the Spiegelrei which eventually led us to the canal encircling the city.

We took a leisurely stroll along the canal towards the southern part of the old town, stopping along the way to take some photos of the brightly colored buildings and flowers that were in bloom. Eventually, we made it to the Rosary Quay (Rozenhoedkaai) where canal tour boats were coming and going to take tourists on a ride around town.

A short walk from the Rosary Quay, down a quiet side street, was the Bourgogne des Flandres Brewery and we stopped in to check it out.

After ordering a flight of beer from the bar, they only have 6 beers so you’re able to try them all, we found a table outside along the canal. We had a great view of the boats going by as well as a family of swans who had discovered they could eat pretty well thanks to the tourists here. We were seated at a long table and eventually joined by a group of friends from England who were spending a week biking around Belgium. We chatted with them for a while and swapped stories of our travels over the delicious, local beers.

A little after 3:00p we bid adieu to our new friends and headed out in search for some waffles. We didn’t have to hunt for long as we found the House of Waffles just around the corner. They had a line out into the street but thankfully that was just for to-go orders and we were quickly shown to a table on the rear patio.

The restaurant had an extensive menu and both the décor on the walls and the menu featured famous people from around the world with their corresponding waffle.

I ordered the Classico with a Liege style waffle and Mrs. WS93 had the Cherry Delight with a Brussels style waffle. They came out deconstructed which allowed us to build the waffle to our choosing which I appreciated. Both of our waffles were delicious and I ate way more than I should have but I couldn’t be stopped!

Full from the waffles, we started slowly making our way back towards the train station. Mrs. WS93 stopped to do some more shopping and picked up some souvenirs for our families back home.

With trains running almost every hour, our shopping stroll meant we had roughly 45 minutes until the next train back to Brussels so we stopped for one final beer on a patio on the ‘t Zand.

Fully hydrated, we made the short walk back to the station to catch the 4:58p train back to Brussels.

While we could have spent longer in Bruges, we felt that we were able to get a good experience of the city during our day trip. If you find yourself nearby I highly recommend taking a day trip, or spending a short overnight in the city. Should our travels bring us over this way again, we would happily return to Bruges!

ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I knew that some of the european airlines had partnerships (Lufthansa/Deutsche Bahn, Air France/SNCF, etc.) but I didn't specifically seek this out.

I was trying to find business class award tickets for 2 from the US to Europe and New York-Brussels was the cheapest by far. If I cut out the train portion and just went to Paris it was 200k+ per seat
Nice report. I've enjoyed your other ones too.

PS From one ex-TX flier to another, consider MEX/CUN next time. AF Flying Blue often has cheap awards, and this summer had some cheap cash J fares on SkyTeam.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marks88
Nice report. I've enjoyed your other ones too.

PS From one ex-TX flier to another, consider MEX/CUN next time. AF Flying Blue often has cheap awards, and this summer had some cheap cash J fares on SkyTeam.
Thanks marks88! We actually looked at MEX and had some friends fly MEX-FRA-FLR to meet us for the trip, though the flight pricing didn't make sense for our dates since we got our tickets at the low end of the pricing and could connect in the US.

I'm keeping my eye on it for summer of 2024 though!
marks88 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Diamond Lounge Brussels Terminal A

After a couple of days in Belgium it was time to continue on to the main event, Italy! First we had to get there which involved my first trip on an ITA Airways A320neo. We headed off to Brussels Airport and spent the time before our flight in the Diamond Lounge. There are two separate Diamond Lounges at Brussels Airport, one in Terminal A serving Schengen flights and another in Terminal B which serves Non-Schengen flights so be sure to check your boarding pass to determine which one you’re going to have access to.

The Diamond Lounge in Terminal A is located after security near gate A42. To reach the lounge, clear security and follow the signs for the A and T gates. Once through the Duty Free maze and into the concourse, turn right and head towards gate A42. Opposite of the gate, next to a juice stand, is a small hallway that leads to the interior of the terminal. This area is currently under construction so look closely for the signs.

Use the elevator to head up a level and, once you're at the top, you’ll see a sign for the Diamond Lounge to the right. The entrance to the lounge will be at the end of a long hallway.

Hours of Operation
The lounge is currently open from 4:30a to 9:00p, covering the vast majority of Schengen departures.

Entry Requirements
The Diamond Lounge is accessible to a number of airline elite passengers including Air Europa, Iberia, ITA Airways, KLM, and more. The lounge is also accessible to Priority Pass Select members, including American Express Platinum cardholders. Day passes can also be purchased starting at $32 per person.

Layout
Upon entry, the reception desk is placed behind some sliding glass doors. To the right is a seating area with a couple of chairs and departure monitors located above.

From there, the lounge spreads out in an upside down L shape, with a smaller area to the left and the remainder of the lounge off to the right. To the left, there was a decent sized seating area, separated into two parts, with a mix of café tables and some lounge chairs.

Along the rear wall of the lounge was a long bar with great views out over the cargo ramp. We grabbed a couple of seats here.

To the right of the entry was the buffet, with some additional seating further down.

In the back corner of the lounge, there was some additional seating with interior windows overlooking the concourse below.

Just past the seating overlooking the concourse was a short hallway leading to the restrooms. The restrooms were nicely appointed and clean, with full floor to ceiling doors on the restroom stalls.

The overall layout of the lounge flowed well and had plenty of space to accommodate the morning departure bank.

Food and Beverage
After dropping our bags at the table I headed off to explore the buffet. While Priority Pass lounges in the United States aren't anything special, I've found that the ones abroad typically have much better food and beverage options and the Diamond Lounge was no different.

The main buffet featured a variety of breakfast options. First was a selection of sliced deli meat and a salad bar.

Next, there were two hot dishes, featuring turkey bacon and beans in a tomato sauce. While I'm a fan of beans, it still seems strange for me to see them served with breakfast.

In addition to the turkey bacon and beans, there was a serving dish that also had pre-made omelets along with a selection of bread.

Opposite of the hot food selection was a center island that had a selection of fresh pastries, cereal, fruit, nuts and crackers.

Finally, along the wall, there was a U shaped counter that had a variety of drinks available. There was an espresso machine that made a variety of caffeinated beverages.

There was also a full, self-service bar that had a variety of liquor available along with three beers on draft (Leffe Brown, Leffe Blonde, and Stella Artois).

If the draft beers don't suit you, there was also a large cooler with a variety of bottled beer and soda available.

My favorite part of the bar area was the DIY mimosa bar that featured a variety of juices, along with prosecco and some chilled wines. Milk and a selection of muffins were also available.

Atmosphere
I grabbed a croissant, some deli meat, and a mimosa and took a seat at the bar top overlooking the ramp. While the lounge was busy, it stayed relatively quiet during our visit. As an AvGeek, I really appreciated the views of the cargo ramp and departure runway and I passed the time watching planes taxi and takeoff around the airport. These operations had a few unique planes, including multiple Air Belgium freighters, and I even caught a departing 747.

Before leaving to catch our flight to Rome, I made one more pass through the buffet for another croissant along with some deli meat and gummy frogs. Honestly, I grabbed the frogs for Mrs. WS93 but she was less excited about them compared to me.

ATXJetsetter.com or follow along on Instagram or Twitter!
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
and beans in a tomato sauce. While I'm a fan of beans, it still seems strange for me to see them served with breakfast.
You've never had baked beans for breakfast?!
canolakid likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
You've never had baked beans for breakfast?!
Never in my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.