Trip Report of QF2 LHR-SIN in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Radisson Gold, Priority Pass

Due to COVID border closures, it's been a few years since I've flown Qantas internationally so thought I'd take this opportunity to do a Trip Report. I flew over on QF1 mid-December and back a few days ago. In all, an enjoyable flight with great in-flight service, but pre-departure and food & beverage could be improved.

Transport to Airport:
For a transfer from central London to Heathrow T3, I opted for Uber. The usual 40 min journey took an hour, due to traffic (mid-week early January). So safest to allow a bit of extra time if travelling by car.

Check-in:
On arrival at T3, the First check-in area was unattended. The agent soon returned. Check-in was not informative - no information on location of security screening, lounge options, etc. I later noticed that my bag also hadn't been tagged priority/First.

LHR T3 security screening:
In a word- shambolic. It took almost 30 mins on "fast track", due to only two of the three lanes being open and the staff then closing a lane when the automated tray delivery stopped. A little common sense to carry over some trays or open the other lane would have been helpful.

Lounge:
The Qantas Lounge is a short few mins walk from security - passing through the main shopping area. Surprisingly, they allow paid entry even when - like during my visit - the lounge was packed. Unlike when Qantas had a single lounge in Singapore, they have no dedicated seating for First passengers. Unable to locate a seat, I spoke with the manager who was able to secure a seat by redistributing some passengers that were spread out. Whilst busy, service in the lounge was good - the table cleared and wiped before being seated, replenishments being offered by table service. The toilets were in need of servicing, noting they also had a large queue (given unisex and no urinals). The ground floor has a restaurant and gin bar, and upper level is a lounge bar

Departure:
As usual, QF2 departed from Gate 1 - around a 5 min walk from the lounge, at the end of the concourse. On reaching the gate you are immediately checked in - noting there are two lines, one of economy and one for all other travel classes. Arriving 10 mins before the scheduled boarding time there was no queue. You are then held in the seating area before boarding commences. Families with infants were boarded, then First passengers followed by other travel classes. A very organised boarding sequence when compared to QF1 from SYD. Given Checking the seat map the day before via Expert Flyer, there were still 2 seats showing as available in First but by boarding all were occupied. Push back from the gate was just a few mins behind schedule, which for QF1/2 is excellent. The cabin crew were very welcoming and friendly (one even recognising me from a previous flight a few weeks prior), and service throughout the flight was excellent.

Cabin:
The refreshed A380 cabin is pleasant - the soft colour scheme has been refreshed, the TV screen and in-suite controls have been improved and the previously drab and cramp upstairs lounge area has been expanded and is now a good option to social if you're travelling in a group. Sleep quality is excellent, and the cabin temperature not too warm. Cabin cleanliness could have been improved - I opted to use some Dettol wipes around my seat.

Supper:
With an evening flight, supper was served following departure. Being vegetarian, I opted for the carrot soup (delicious), pan fried polenta (bland) and a cheese plate (good). In terms of wine, whilst it was a lovely surprise to have Bollinger 2014 Grand Annee as the champagne the rest of the wine list was quite average. The cabin crew were clearly embarrassed by the physical appearance of the wine list also - it consisting of the usual menu which omitted several listings which were appended by several A4 sheets with a huge typeface (including spelling mistakes). Their signature Penfold's Grandfather wasn't listed, but thankfully still available. Spirit selection remains disappointing for First, and they continue to be able to make Bloody Marys even though listed under cocktails.

Breakfast:
Whilst arrival was around 6pm Singapore time, the second meal service was breakfast. Their fruit smoothie was tasty, as was the scrambled eggs and toast. The hashbrowns were on the soggy side.

In-Flight Entertainment:
On both this flight and my December one I noticed a significant deterioration in the selection and quality when compared to pre-COVID times. It's worth considering downloading some films to your own device to watch.

Arrival at SIN:
Landing roughly to schedule, we had a short 5 min taxi on landing. There was a slight delay connecting the skybridge. Arriving at T1 Arrival Hall C, there was quite a queue for the manned desks but zero queue for the egates (located to the left, between the Singapore nationals egates and the manned desks). Be sure to complete your electronic arrival declaration prior to benefit from a speedy immigration experience.

Baggage:
At the efficiency at which disembarkation and immigration had occurred, there was around 15 mins wait on luggage. Thereafter, no delay at customs
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you nick164 for the excellent and informative report on QF2, and welcome to FT.
I had considered looking QF2 for next month as part of a very cheap BUD-LHR-SIN F fare and now I'm glad that I didn't.
SW7London and nick164 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:28 am

Thanks nick164!

Sounds like QF F remains a solid product, "solid" being comfortable experience albeit given the prices QF normally charge youd expect more. I agree sleep is always good on QF F though, the seat & accessories make for a very nice sleep.

Shame about the average food and ground services although I dont think many airlines excel in this area these days (prehaps AF?). I recently flew QR F and thought it was average at best, both the menu and the sleep quality (the bed isnt anywhere near as good as QF F)

Do you have any photos of the full QF1 and QF1 menus?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Radisson Gold, Priority Pass
Thanks SFO777 and SW7London! Thankfully it was a points upgrade from Business class - if I’d been paying full price I wouldn’t have been too happy.

I was going to post the photos with the review but as I’m a new member it was giving me an error. I’ll add them once I’ve managed to do a few more posts and unlocked that feature.

One thing I forgot to mention, the quality of their amenity kit is embarrassing. No deodorant, no razor, no tissues. I’ve had better in Business class on a SKYTRAX 3 star airline. And on QF1 when transiting in the QF First lounge I asked for a deodorant, and they had nothing but a can of Rexona that had to be returned.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:53 am

Thanks Nick, I was considering Qantas for a trip to Sydney in April but for now I think I'll give them a miss.

FWIW, I wouldn't now use a cab from central London since the Elizabeth Line opened, it's far more reliable, not subject to traffic problems and runs every ten minutes. At LHR, I agree, security is a joke, I was recently told that they now only open priority lanes when they have enough staff and that they can be closed at any time so you are denied something you have paid for but of course no refund in rip off Britain. Airside, I would now always choose the Cathay F lounge - so much better than any other OW lounge or if you can, the Amex Centurion lounge is also pretty good.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:18 am
Original Poster

@Harper50505 - Once leaving the Qantas lounge I had the same thought about the Cathay First. It’s been a good few years since I was there so will check it out next time I’m flying from T3,
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you nick164 for the excellent and informative report on QF2, and welcome to FT.
I had considered looking QF2 for next month as part of a very cheap BUD-LHR-SIN F fare and now I'm glad that I didn't.
SFO777 can I ask how much the QF fare ex BUD was? I would likely still choose QF F over BA F given the seat (not withstanding you recent trip report!)

Originally Posted by nick164
One thing I forgot to mention, the quality of their amenity kit is embarrassing. No deodorant, no razor, no tissues. I’ve had better in Business class on a SKYTRAX 3 star airline. And on QF1 when transiting in the QF First lounge I asked for a deodorant, and they had nothing but a can of Rexona that had to be returned.
Sharing a can of deodorant. My my! I remember the days when the QF F amenity kit had those little bottles of Rexona and the lovely Payot skin cream!

Before you did the points upgrade request did you get an offer from QF to pay for an upgrade to F? What was the minimum bid?
nick164 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SW7London
SFO777 can I ask how much the QF fare ex BUD was? I would likely still choose QF F over BA F given the seat (not withstanding you recent trip report!)

Sharing a can of deodorant. My my! I remember the days when the QF F amenity kit had those little bottles of Rexona and the lovely Payot skin cream!

Before you did the points upgrade request did you get an offer from QF to pay for an upgrade to F? What was the minimum bid?
Lol yeah I much preferred those kits! I just did a classic points upgrade. As I booked it in March when the flight wasn’t busy and am Platinum so higher up on the upgrade priority
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nick164
@Harper50505 - Once leaving the Qantas lounge I had the same thought about the Cathay First. It’s been a good few years since I was there so will check it out next time I’m flying from T3,
CX F is a very nice space, I much prefer the decor and furniture to the Qantas lounge, which I find very sterile. Food and beverage generally good (if not outstanding) in CX F, the table service restaurant is always a nice experience
nick164 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just checked GF now and one way is US$2,684 every day until EOS.

SW7London likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the informative trip report. Penfolds Grandfather port is such a treat! Glad you were able to enjoy some on your flight.
nick164 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks nick164!

Sounds like QF F remains a solid product, "solid" being comfortable experience albeit given the prices QF normally charge youd expect more. I agree sleep is always good on QF F though, the seat & accessories make for a very nice sleep.

Shame about the average food and ground services although I dont think many airlines excel in this area these days (prehaps AF?). I recently flew QR F and thought it was average at best, both the menu and the sleep quality (the bed isnt anywhere near as good as QF F)

Do you have any photos of the full QF1 and QF1 menus?
Photos of the menus below...

QF2 wine list Jan 2023

QF2 wine list Jan 2023 - additional page

QF2 supper menu Jan 2023

QF2 supper menu Jan 2023

QF2 breakfast menu Jan 2023

QF2 drinks menu Jan 2023
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Qantas are really making a rod for their own back - the food in F still isn’t any different to what they serve in J.

This would be fine if it was good food, but I’ve always found it really disappointing.

At least the wines are starting to differentiate, but everything else is still basically the same
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
As a P1 I am very disappointed in the QF F product and the airlines response to my concerns (negligible) after a sub-standard F SYD-LAX return in late 2023 (2x pax)
The QF F product is unlikely to improve in 2023
The food will NEVER improve beyond international J on Jl NH QR SQ LX LH
Yes J
Qantas disguises J food as F with a series of slogans that are not fact based
Read the website
Look at the menus for F on SQ Jl NH LX LH QR EK for similar routes
Compare the F QF 1 menu to the QF F SYD-LAX menu
Why has the First host calling you to book your spa treatment stopped when the LAX return fare from Sydney is an absurd 25k on the website for an old dated product?
Compare them on a range of variables
Few luxurious ingredients
Massive overlap of J and F meals
A con
Excellent F lounges in SYD MEL SIN and ? LAX (ate there SEPT 2022 and the standard has declined ++)
Is the new motto "Eat well in our lounges and then sleep on our A380 in nice beds" (Ignore our inflight menu)
"Bottom line" cash generation for shareholders vs investment in staff training (v poor service consistency) and improved for and wine product???
New CEO or a 3-class honest truthful ethical airline that scraps F ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.