Weekend in London and Budapest via British Airways First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in London and Budapest via British Airways First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I am thankful for the opportunity to take these awesome trips with SFO77. However, I feel like at some point he may cut me off because of shenanigan-posing with mannequins in Budapest airport or nearly oversleeping our Zurich to Paris train.

The highlights of this trip were the Four Seasons in Budapest (gorgeous mingling of old and new) and the dinner at Borkonyha (refined yet down to earth goodness). The lowlight was the dinner at the Helene Darroze (food just tasted ordinary but served with wonderful care and service).
offerendum and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thank you for the amazing photos. FYI you blurred your face in one pic but not the others.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Thank you for the amazing photos. FYI you blurred your face in one pic but not the others.
I guess my looks on that one blurred/frankenstein picture did not meet SFO777's acceptable criteria.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
What is your preferred way to get from LHR to Mayfair on arrival? Limo? Taxi? Train? How did you get there for this trip?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bruns83
Great report as always SF0777.
Enjoy the game in Feb at the best stadium in the world 😉. Save room for a few Neck Oils - you won’t regret it.
Come on you Spurs!
Thank you bruns83. Really looking forward to this one. It will be tough to top Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge where I was with 102,000 crazies watching LSU beat arch-rival Alabama in overtime.

Originally Posted by daftboy
Great report as always - and I've also noticed an improvement in both food and service in Club Europe this year (with some exceptions as always), which seems to come out in your review above. I won't comment on the hard product ;-)
Thanks daftboy. Not that I fly BA Club Europe that much, but I think that both food and service have been excellent... sitting in that Economy seat.

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
I am thankful for the opportunity to take these awesome trips with SFO77. However, I feel like at some point he may cut me off because of shenanigan-posing with mannequins in Budapest airport or nearly oversleeping our Zurich to Paris train. The highlights of this trip were the Four Seasons in Budapest (gorgeous mingling of old and new) and the dinner at Borkonyha (refined yet down to earth goodness). The lowlight was the dinner at the Helene Darroze (food just tasted ordinary but served with wonderful care and service).
LOL, not to worry. I'd have left Zurich without you.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I guess my looks on that one blurred/frankenstein picture did not meet SFO777's acceptable criteria.
Not really sure why I did that. Maybe getting ready for May and Mrs. SFO777's return to FT. LOL.

Originally Posted by aj411
What is your preferred way to get from LHR to Mayfair on arrival? Limo? Taxi? Train? How did you get there for this trip?
I suggested insisted on a taxi since we were running late and I didn't want to mess around with HEX with our luggage. Bad move as we got the slowest taxi driver in London... an old timer that let the force guide him rather than checking faster directions on my iPhone. And of course, as we sat in traffic, DFW_CK constantly reminding me that we should have taken HEX. LOL
aj411 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Fabulous trip report, as usual. Alcohol-free Tanqueray! Consider myself an educated gin drinker, but had no idea this was even an option. Wondering as to how was the taste?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Looks like we had the same menu SFO777 - I had those same choices out to EWR a few days ago. The cold beef wellington is just odd. And totally agree about the chicken - some of the best food I’ve had on BA, well, ever.

Great report as always SF0777.

Enjoy the game in Feb at the best stadium in the world 😉. Save room for a few Neck Oils - you won’t regret it.

Come on you Spurs!
Having done VIP there, I found it very good - but then I went as a normal fan for another game. Then it’s not even the best stadium in London, let alone the world. Really poor how it’s laid out downstairs.

Originally Posted by WXFlyer1957
Fabulous trip report, as usual. Alcohol-free Tanqueray! Consider myself an educated gin drinker, but had no idea this was even an option. Wondering as to how was the taste?
I have a bottle of this, it’s the only alcohol free gin I’ve tried that actually tastes like gin. The rest all taste like artificial juniper water.

I tried it on a friend who is way more into gin than I am, without telling him what it was, and he couldn’t tell
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:17 pm

Another great report, thanks. And it sounds as if you're almost warming to BA. Goodness gracious!

I must thank you for one of your previous TRs which had a reference to Trishna in London which prompted me to go there. I have to agree that it is a very good high end Indian and the Salmon tikka in particular is absolutely superb.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec club, VS Flying Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards
darthlemsip Having visited all the current London Premier League grounds and Wembley, I respectfully disagree! But maybe it depends which stand you’re in as the atmosphere and offering varies between each. I always head for the goal line bar area which is phenomenal for atmosphere. And I’ll freely admit I am completely biased 😉

Last edited by bruns83; Jan 11, 2023 at 6:22 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WXFlyer1957
Thanks very much WXFlyer1957. That's the first I've heard of Alcohol-free Tanqueray. Never even. dawned on me to try it.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Looks like we had the same menu SFO777 - I had those same choices out to EWR a few days ago. The cold beef wellington is just odd. And totally agree about the chicken - some of the best food I’ve had on BA, well, ever.
Having done VIP there, I found it very good - but then I went as a normal fan for another game. Then it’s not even the best stadium in London, let alone the world. Really poor how it’s laid out downstairs.
I have a bottle of this, it’s the only alcohol free gin I’ve tried that actually tastes like gin. The rest all taste like artificial juniper water. I tried it on a friend who is way more into gin than I am, without telling him what it was, and he couldn’t tell
Thanks darthlemsip. Agree on the chicken. That was wonderful, so un-BA like. LOL.
We're doing VIP at the Spurs/Chelsea game so I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Another great report, thanks. And it sounds as if you're almost warming to BA. Goodness gracious! I must thank you for one of your previous TRs which had a reference to Trishna in London which prompted me to go there. I have to agree that it is a very good high end Indian and the Salmon tikka in particular is absolutely superb.
Thanks so much CatchThePigeon. LOL to warming on BA. Not sure that I'd go that far as BA is still total garbage on the ground. But in the air, scary to say but I've enjoyed my last few BA First flights.

darthlemsip Having visited all the current London Premier League grounds and Wembley, I respectfully disagree! But maybe it depends which stand you’re in as the atmosphere and offering varies between each. I always head for the goal line bar area which is phenomenal for atmosphere. And I’ll freely admit I am completely biased 😉
I'm really looking forward to the VIP experience.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SFO777

LOL, not to worry. I'd have left Zurich without you.

I suggested insisted on a taxi since we were running late and I didn't want to mess around with HEX with our luggage. Bad move as we got the slowest taxi driver in London... an old timer that let the force guide him rather than checking faster directions on my iPhone. And of course, as we sat in traffic, DFW_CK constantly reminding me that we should have taken HEX. LOL
Worst cab driver ever!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Worst cab driver ever!
I hate lugging luggage on trains but this does NOT make a taxi sounds like a good idea
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Worst cab driver ever!
Originally Posted by aj411
I hate lugging luggage on trains but this does NOT make a taxi sounds like a good idea
Definitely going to take HEX into the city in February after I check my bags at T5 Left Luggage, but will have to taxi/Blacklane it back to LHR from Tottenham after the Spurs/Chelsea game for my 8:50pm CDG flight.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
but will have to taxi/Blacklane it back to LHR from Tottenham after the Spurs/Chelsea game for my 8:50pm CDG flight.
Not sure whether that's any faster/more reliable than tube (or rail from White Hart Lane/Northumberland Park to LIverpool Street + Elizabeth Line). You'll have to walk a fair bit to get out of the road closure zone around the stadium where there's no pick-up.

Personally I'd register for the free shuttle bus to Wood Green, and take the Piccadilly line from there to LHR, especially if you don't have luggage.
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the...-bus-services/
SFO777 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Not sure whether that's any faster/more reliable than tube (or rail from White Hart Lane/Northumberland Park to LIverpool Street + Elizabeth Line). You'll have to walk a fair bit to get out of the road closure zone around the stadium where there's no pick-up.
Personally I'd register for the free shuttle bus to Wood Green, and take the Piccadilly line from there to LHR, especially if you don't have luggage.
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the...-bus-services/
Thanks so much tom tulpe for the excellent advice. I just registered the three of us for the Spurs Shuttle bus. So excited about going to this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.