Weekend in London and Budapest via British Airways First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in London and Budapest via British Airways First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Good report! Read all on your website and finished today morning.
Why you modified DFW_CK face to semi Freddie Krueger at the LHR-BUD exit row picture when every other picture including close face ones are without modifying? Next season "Botched"?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NYC1
Nice. That lounge area is pretty good pre/mid/post game and it’s an awesome stadium.
Really looking forward to this one.

Originally Posted by zip10001
SFO77 flying Coach?? On British Airways??
The End of the Human Civilization is near...
Great TR as always...jealous of the food you ate...
LMAO. Thank you zip10001. Actually exit row Economy on has more leg room than their fake Business Class.

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Good report! Read all on your website and finished today morning.
Why you modified DFW_CK face to semi Freddie Krueger at the LHR-BUD exit row picture when every other picture including close face ones are without modifying? Next season "Botched"?
Thank you Jaenks. Actually, I have no idea why I Freddie Krueger'd DFW_CK. Maybe I was channeling my inner Mrs. SFO777 directives.
DFW_CK, wrp96 and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner at Michelin 3 Star Hélène Darroze at The Connaught

Dinner tonight in London was at Michelin 3 Star restaurant Hélène Darroze at The Connaught, located in our hotel. It’s a gorgeous restaurant with some of the finest service I have ever experienced. What a delight to spend time with the mostly Italian waitstaff. Truly 3 stars. But the food? Not so much. My 7 course tasting menu wound up being more like 11 or 12 courses. Food was generally very good, just not amazing and indeed there were some misses tonight. Apparently, I’m not a big venison or raw prawn fan. The wine pairing was outstanding and generous… far better and more generous than the insulting wine pairing at @lebernardinny in New York last month.

Our amuse bouche platter was really tasty.

Tonight's Taste of Autumn menu...

Torbay Prawn, Peter John II - Devon. with radishes, finger lime and voatsiperifery pepper. Way too raw for me.

Jerusalem artichoke. Benoit Quiviger - Brittany. Guanciale, Buddha's hand, Kenyan Estate coffee. Excellent.

The foie gras was fabulous.

Creative butter duo.

Lobster... Phil Trebilock - Cornwall. Tandoori spices, carrot, citrus, coriander.

Turbot, The Duchess - Cornwall. Turnip, razor clams, chanterelles, yuku kosbo. This was actually a mistake serving but quite good.

Scallops with truffle. Too raw again and even the truffle supplement couldn't save this one

Venison Wellington. Rhug Estate Farms from North of Wales. Bispi cabbage, quince, grand veneur sauce. Meh, not for me.

Desserts were all outstanding. First was Vanilla Tahiti with corn, banana, mango and lime. Fabulous.

Now this was a most impressive wine tasting spread at a nearby table.

Signature Baba. Wonderful.

Instagram
offerendum, lamphs and nequine like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BA Economy to Budapest.

This morning we’re off for a day in Budapest, the gorgeous Four Seasons Gresham Palace, Christmas markets and another Michelin star dinner at Borkonyha. European domestic Business Class is a joke with Economy seating and legroom... and an open middle to make you feel better about overpaying for an Economy seat. Since our One World Emerald status got us most of the Business Class perks anyway, like BA First check-in, security, lounge access and priority boarding, we opted to just use some useless Avios and get more leg room in an Exit row.

Yikes on the BA breakfast pancakes.

Exit row Economy, more legroom than in BA's fake Business Class.

Welcome to rainy Budapest.

Instragram
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel - Budapest

The Four Seasons Gresham Palace is a gorgeous hotel on Danube. It features a spectacular lobby with stunning glass ceilings and massive beautiful chandelier.

After we checked in, we headed down for lunch at the hotel's Kollasz Brasserie and Grill.

My French Onion soup was excellent.

My Marseille Sea Bass was exceptional.

Later that afternoon, pre-dinner drinks in the beautiful lobby bar.

Instagram
Vaclav, lamphs, cmd320 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 8, 2023 at 10:11 am
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:57 am

Thanks for adding the Helene Darroze commentary here and on your site. Seems like more misses than hits, without even taking into account the 3* and cost.
SFO777 and kahuna1993 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:55 pm

Thanks for adding the Helene Darroze commentary here and on your site. Seems like more misses than hits, without even taking into account the 3* and cost.
Some years ago, we had a disappointing experience at Hélène Darroze on rue d'Assas in Paris and have given her restaurants a miss since then. For the price, the food was mediocre and the service was lacking.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Only got a table for Lunch at Hélène Darroze. Found the food not on 3 star level, more 1 star.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMontpelier
Some years ago, we had a disappointing experience at Hélène Darroze on rue d'Assas in Paris and have given her restaurants a miss since then. For the price, the food was mediocre and the service was lacking.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Only got a table for Lunch at Hélène Darroze. Found the food not on 3 star level, more 1 star.
While service was exceptional, I would agree the food is definitely not 3 star level. This one was a one and done for us.
offerendum, kahuna1993 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tour of Budapest

The hotel concierge arrange great tour guide for a 3 hour walking tour of the city.

Wonderful Christmas markets...

Instagram

After a nap back at the hotel, we headed out into the rain for a 5 minute walk to Michelin 1 star Borkonyha.

Michelin 1 Star Borkonyha - Budapest

What a wonderful restaurant featuring fabulous food, excellent Hungarian and outstanding service.

My fois gras was to die for.

Delicious angus beef short rib.

Fabulous sturgeon.

And amazing desserts.

What a wonderful treat to dine at Borkonyha.

My instagram
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

British Airways Club Europe to London

Time to head home after a wonderful but all too short day in London and day in Budapest. Today is the start of a BA mileage run to log my 4 paid BA segments to help me requalify for my BA Gold/One World Emerald status for next year. An 8am flight from an unfamiliar airport means an early taxi from the hotel to give ourselves plenty of time. Unlike British airports, BUD Terminal 2B is a very nice, spacious and well planned terminal.

After a brief delay for the counters to open at 6am, we headed for the Celebi Platinum Lounge that BA and others use for Business Class passengers.

DFW_CK clowning around...

Budapest BUD to London LHR
British Airways BA 865
A321
7:30am-9:00a
November 10, 2022Since we were in bulkhead seats, we decided to queue early so we made sure we had overhead space for our bags. Despite the Eurotrash “Business Class” Economy seats, our flight was only 2 hours and service was very good.

The Poached Egg Shakshouka was delicious.

Instagram
Vaclav, DFW_CK, offerendum and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

British Airways A380 First Class from London to Chicago

Much better Heathrow experience today as we were fortunate to arrive at the B gates and thereby avoid the disaster that is T5 A gate connecting security. We were to only ones in line for B security and in the Galleries B Business Class Lounge shortly after.

Alcohol free Tanqueray??

London LHR to Chicago ORD
British Airways BA 295
A380-800
11:20a-2:15p
November 10, 2022

From there it was a 10 minute tunnel walk to the C gates and our A380. Pleasant BA First flight today although we departed 90 minutes late as BA and Heathrow don’t have enough de-icing trucks. Excellent all male inflight crew and the best BA meal ever, the wonderful chicken murgh malaiwala.

Yeah, cold Beef Welllington just doesn't work.

But, OMG... best BA meal ever, the wonderful chicken murgh malaiwala.

Instagram
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The last leg on this wonderful trip is American Airlines First Class back to Denver. Now that the inter-terminal train is working again, the train is a quick and easy way to get to Terminal 3.

I enjoy the Chicago AA Flagship Lounge, which is my favorite FL in the AA system.

Chicago ORD to Denver DEN
American AA 2771
737-800
7:16p-8:30p
December 10, 2022

The best part of tonight was an on time departure and early arrival in Denver.

Instagram

What a fun trip. Thanks for following along.

For an HD version and more pics, please visit SFO777.com
American’s Excellent Flagship First Dining at DFW
British Airways A380 First Class to London
Lunch at Michelin 1 Star Trishna London
The Connaught Hotel - Mayfair
Dinner at Michelin 3 Star Hélène Darroze at The Connaught
BA Economy to Budapest
Four Seasons Gresham Palace Budapest
Walking Tour of Budapest and Dinner at Michelin 1 Star Borkonyha Budapest
British Airways Club Europe to London
British Airways A380 First Class to Chicago
American Flagship Lounge at ORD and American First Class to Denver
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec club, VS Flying Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Great report as always SF0777.

Enjoy the game in Feb at the best stadium in the world 😉. Save room for a few Neck Oils - you won’t regret it.

Come on you Spurs!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Great report as always - and I've also noticed an improvement in both food and service in Club Europe this year (with some exceptions as always), which seems to come out in your review above. I won't comment on the hard product ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.