Wiki Posts
Search

I move my home by flying half the world, from HKG to DUB via SIN, AMS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: krisflyer, Asiana Club
I move my home by flying half the world, from HKG to DUB via SIN, AMS

It's been 2 years without flying! Due to Chinese zero covid policy, I basically cannot travel freely. But this is not an ordinary flying for me. I moved myself from Hong Kong to Ireland. Finally I can get out of this miserably city, no more mandatory mask policy, no more covid testing and quarantine. The population of Hong Kong has shrunk from 2019 about 7.5m to 2022 about 7.25m people. People cannot breath under the zero covid policy and the new national security law. Mass exodus is happening in Hong Kong. And I became one of them.

I booked this ticket in Feburary, after changing date and changing date, finally I had an exact date that I can leave this miserable city state. The price was HKD4360, it was the price in early 2022 but now the price is much more expensive. During this trip I can log 75% miles to my FFP.

Singapore Airlines no longer require passenger to wear mask during flying. But if I choose the base carrier, Cathay Pacific, I have to wear the mask during the whole flight, which is quite unbearable for me. I was too late to choose my seat. I choose my seat about 2 week before the flight, I found out that the flight HKG-SIN is more passenger than I expected. All window seat had been taken and I had no option but to choose aisle seat. The second leg SIN-AMS, I managed to choose a window seat. I prefer seating in the rear of the aircraft and I don't know why.

This first leg was operated by B777-300. The flight economy class is 100% full load. I didn't see any empty seat on the plane. At the airport, according to the stupid law, I need to wear a mask, otherwise will be find. But at the same time Hong Kong has another law states if you wearing a mask, you will be fined and sent to prison up to a year. These 2 laws are conflict, in theory it means wearing a mask or not, at the end you will be fined, the difference is jail or no jail.

The seat is with blanket and pillow. It is a 3 hour flying trip to Singapore. The 3-3-3 configuration makes the seat more spacious than other airlines but less capacity.

The plane took off by using new HKG runway 07L/25R, it was a long taxi to from the terminal to the runway. The old 07L/25R is closed and converting to 07C/25C. It was a project which proposed 10 years ago to accommodate increasing flights and passenger. However now it seems like an white elephant project because strict entry restrictions. Although there is no more entry quarantine in Hong Kong, travelers have to do COVID test in the first 7 days and not allowed to go to dine in restaurant. Who wants to come to visit Hong Kong with these restrictions?

It's meal time. It is dinner and also my first meal of that day. Yes I skipped lunch to empty my stomach to accommodate the following 2 meals. I think this is kind of chicken potato.
After the meal, I did not put my mask on again. And I found out I was the only passenger in economy class did not wear a mask.

Finally landed at Changi Airport on time. I only have 1 hour 5 mins to transfer so time was ticking.

Passing through security check, I onboard an A350-900. It was my A350 maiden flight. At Changi Airport, security check is right in front of the gate. For transfer passenger, this is quite troublesome.

There are a lot of change since COVID. No more inflight magazine, and no more amenity kit. Singapore Airlines used to distributed amenity kit to economy class passenger.

There was a bit delay of the flight. While lining up for take off, it was a 30 mins waiting time because planes just keep landing and landing. Finally there was a gap for us to take off. Shortly after take off, I was handed my 2nd meal of the day.

During this 14 hour flight, I managed to sleep about 4 hours, which is quite remarkable for me because I never slept so much on a flight. It was a complete darkness outside so I didn't close my window.

This is breakfast, it was potato egg something.

After 13 hour flying, I reached the Netherlands.

I stopped at the Netherlands for couple of hours, manged to visit Rijkmuseum the return to the airport for my final flight of the day.

It is Aer Lingus A320. I booked this about 1.5 week before the flight, costed me around HKD1500. I was worried if my luggage over 20KG. Luckily my hold luggage was exactly 20KG. No extra fee paid.

This is my first Aer Lingus flight. I was not allowed to choose seat because I booked it through travel agency. The computer allocated my seat 10C but 10A and B was not occupied. My aisle seat upgraded to window seat.

It was dawn and the plane was flying over Britain. A very nice picture. This is why we fly.

The plane landed on time and I arrived my new home Dublin. And now here I am. New home, new base airport, new career, new life, same old account.

Extra:
Then I had a short visit in Amsterdam. I booked a hotel suit, costed me about EUR250. The room was amazing and the hotel called Ruby Emma Hotel. Here are some photos

Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to the West and your new home in Ireland.
Grey Nomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.