Wiki Posts
Search

Did we finally make QR Platinum? Part 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
Gold Lounge Doha, North Node & DOH-LHR

I think I mentioned before that the Gold Lounge, food offering wasn't great, there's some pics below. I also checked out the new North Node area to see what was open or not, with the Al Mourjan North Lounge.

Gold Lounge South

North Node retail still to open

The Garden area in the distance

I believe this section is now open.

Final Flight no.12

QR15 DOH-LHR. 24th October 2022. Seat 23K
Boeing 777-3DZ. Reg. A7-BEQ.
ETD. 1505. ETA. 2010
ATD. 1537. ATA. 2034

​​​​​​I have to admit this I forgot to take a pic of the aircraft and to make matters worse, I was in an exit row with no window 23K disaster.
What I can remember is that I believe the Cabin Crew member serving our section, was very inexperienced. The toilets were still locked an hour after takeoff & people were queuing for a toilet nobody was in. It was only when I mentioned it to another cabin crew member they were unlocked. We were served our meal first, then the rest of the cabin were served very slowly, then unfortunately turbulence hit for about 20mins. When service resumed the two rows behind us were missed out & were not served with food at all, until they complained.
Other than that the flight was uneventful, we were late, but straight on stand, breezed through the egates & unbelievably our case was one of the first on the baggage belt.
What a trip, 12 flights in 16 days, all as planned, little did we know there were more battles to come with Qatar Privilege Club.

Watch this space.
BERGBRLY, kenko92, lamphs and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Loungeabout; Nov 25, 2022 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; BA GLD; UA 1MM; Marriott Lfe Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilt Dmd, IHG Dmd RA, GT Globility Board
Loungeabout, nice report and very detailed. I am a big fan of QR;s planes, comfort and service but I think their FF program is quite bad and I am hoping it was worth the effort to become Platinum. In my experience the only tangible benefits of QR Platinum were the Al Maha transfer service at DOH as it helps skip through some lines and access to the First Class lounge (which is only applicable if you credit the flight to QR). But recently QR has cut down on the free Al Maha transfer (they pick you up on arrival and bring you to the lounge but no longer bring you to your connecting flight) and the First Class lounge is really nothing special unless you get one of the bedrooms for a long connection. Otherwise I would say the business class lounge is the same or better. Customer service is awful and award redemption requires a shockingly high number of points, compared to what you would need to get on the same QR flights if booked from other OW airlines.

After 5 years of QR Platinum I have NEVER been able to redeem QCredits for an upgrade so I finally gave up, still flying QR but crediting to other airlines.

I hope your experience with Platinum status is much better. Cheers!
Loungeabout likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:29 am
Original Poster

jmurat1041, Thanks for the reply at least I know someone has enjoyed the report. I didn't plan to compile a trip report, but I had so much footage, with some tips/experiences that I wanted to document it, while it was fresh in the mind. If I hadn't it would of just be some photos/videos on my laptop, that I'd never watch again. Hopefully some of our experiences, will help others in the flyertalk community.
One of the main reasons, to go for Platinum was that it guarantees at least Gold for the following year, as I'm not sure I'll be travelling enough to retain it.
You're absolutely right about the excellent QR experience in the air and the terrible back room service, it does beggar belief.
I had to fight tooth & nail, to convince them that I had earnt 600+ points in a calendar year. In a nutshell Malaysian didn't credit the points until nearly 4 weeks after the flights, by which time some points from the previous year had dropped out. It was a case of the computer says no, so the answer was no.
They were trying to convince me that the flight date doesn't matter, it is when the points are credited that counts. I had never heard such a load of rubbish, in the end I had to send a spreadsheet of all my flights with the points earnt, showing the actual flight dates.
Finally after 2 weeks of toing and throwing, they agreed that I had earnt Platinum.
I did exactly the same for Mrs. L, bearing in mind she has flown the exact same flights & earnt the exact same points, but after 4 weeks they still haven't given her Platinum!
So at the moment, I am Platinum but Mrs.L is still Gold, it is unbelievable. The other day I had to guest her into the Platinum Lounge in Doha. (Rant over)
Am hoping that availability will open up on QR after the World Cup. Thanks again.
roadwarriorafrica and lamphs like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loungeabout
So at the moment, I am Platinum but Mrs.L is still Gold, it is unbelievable. The other day I had to guest her into the Platinum Lounge in Doha. (Rant over)
Am hoping that availability will open up on QR after the World Cup. Thanks again.
Update: Finally Qatar Privilege Club have seen sense, Mrs.L has been upgraded to Platinum
rapidex and tav1989 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.