Wiki Posts
Search

The Dam Weekend (SQ/AA J; U2/AF Y)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
The Dam Weekend (SQ/AA J; U2/AF Y)

With the return portion of my American ticket from my December trip to Portugal parked in Europe until February 2022, I poked around to see what I could do in Europe to make the trek over to pick up that ticket worthwhile. In my younger years, I wouldn’t have batted an eyelash at just popping over and flying that ticket home. But I’ve realized my time is far more precious especially as I have far less free time these days. I couldn’t take much time off with my crazy work schedule, but I could squeeze in a weekend plus a day or two. I’ve always enjoyed visiting northern Europe in the winter as crowds are far smaller. With much of northern Europe relaxing COVID restrictions, this seemed like a good time to get reacquainted time. Amsterdam is a place that I haven’t visited in eons, and of course Amsterdam is always a great time. This seemed to be a great of an excuse as any!

Getting there was easy enough and comfy enough. I preemptively transferred over some Amex Membership Rewards points to my Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer account to take advantage of the solid transfer bonus Amex offered at the time. Award space is nearly always available on Singapore Houston to Manchester service, and the day I needed was no exception. I quickly booked that for 72,000 KrisFlyer miles and $30 in taxes. From Manchester, I bought an EasyJet ticket to Amsterdam for just £60 with a carry-on bag and priority boarding. Getting to Paris where my American ticket was parked was a decent bit more pricey. After hemming and hawing over it for a few days, I ended up ponying up €200 for a late evening Air France departure. I hated paying that much for a short flight, but it fit my schedule the best so it worked out well at the end of the day.

For my two nights in Amsterdam, I went with the Hyatt Regency Amsterdam for a very reasonable €150 a night. I also had an overnight connection in Paris, which also a bit more tricky. I wanted to stay at the newish Hyatt Place/Hyatt House CDG. But both of those properties were exorbinantly priced that evening. In the end, I settled for the tired Hyatt Regency CDG for a reasonable €90.

Previous Trip Reports
2021: Chasing Bourdain and Perfect Tinder Pictures (AA/A3/LH J; BA Y; UA Domestic F)
2021: How The Turntables: MQD Running With My Parents (AA Domestic F; AM J; UA Y)
2020: Purgatory: Tales of Pandemic Travel in the U.S.
2020: The Last Dance (CX F)
2019: An Unexpected Jaunt Around The World (UA/CX/TG/BR/OS J; AK Y)
2018: Pilgrimage to the Fatherland (CX/MU J; CX W; WN/MU Y)
2017: The Ultimate Flake (AA F; SQ F and Suites; CX/MS/CA/MH/KL/JL J; TK Y)
2017: The Earth IS Round (UA/LH/HU/CZ/TR Y; CX/BR J)
2017: Something Old and Something New (SQ A350 J / AA J)
2015: Christmas in Asia (AA/CX/UA J; BA/AA/CX Y)
2015: A Manic Fall(AA/WN/UA/CX/FD Y; CX F; AA F)
2015: An Apartment in the Sky (Etihad Apartment First Class, AA Y, BA J/Y, QR Y)
2014: The End of An Era (JL/CX/TG/QF A380 F, OZ J, KA Y, and a Chinese Bullet Train!)
2014: A Tale of Two Cities (AA 77W J BA Y IB Y AF J)
2013: It’s The Most Wonderful Time of The Year (AA/MQ F AS Y)
2013: Geeking Out Across America (AA F)
2012: Around The World and From Sea to Shining Sea (AA F/Y, CX F, SQ F, UA F, DL F, WN Y)
2011: Everybody look at me because I'm sailing on a boat (KL J and DL Y)
lamphs, Seat 2A and zip10001 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:51 am
Original Poster

As usual, departure day was whirlwind of chaos. I spent the morning tidying up my inbox for my short absence. Just before noon, I raced downtown to make an appearance at a coworker’s retirement lunch and raced back home for an interview. After firing off a few last minute emails, I hurriedly packed and hopped in my car for dash down the Hardy Toll Road toward George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

As I was flying American back, I parked at Terminal A and took the IAH’s rather cute little subway to Terminal D where my Singapore flight was departing from.

I followed a smart looking Qatar Airways crew into Terminal D.

The crowd at the check in counters was pretty sparse.

Skytrax sure has a sense of humor. IAH is decent and all, but it’s not remotely one of the best in the US.

Unlike the Singapore check in counters, the line for security was massive. I thought I was SOL as I didn’t have Pre Check on my boarding pass, but the ID checker directed me to the Pre Check line after scanning my boarding pass which was very much appreciated. ‘’

After security, I popped over to visit with the beauty taking me to Manchester in a couple of hours.

Then it was off the United’s just absolutely lovely Polaris Lounge.

A friendly agent admitted me after a quick scan of my boarding pass.

There were plenty of sitting areas.

The bar was pretty cool looking.

Tarmac views were solid

The self serve buffet looked very appetizing and appealing.

But I opted for the a la carte dining. There was a short wait for a table, but I was seated relatively quickly.

The menu was pretty impressive and extensive considering the setting.

I was in a bit of a celebratory mood, so I ordered a glass of Lanson which was fine.

I started off with a Caesar salad.

For my main course, I had the shrimp and grits which were pretty good.

All in all, it was a pretty tasty meal. I can see why folks rave about Polaris Lounges. They are attractive and comfortable spaces with very good food options. Considering Polaris Lounges are Business Class lounges, it was on the exceptional spectrum.

Singapore Airlines 51
Houston (IAH) – Manchester (MAN)
Depart: 6:30PM
Arrive: 8:55AM+1
Aircraft: Airbus A350-900
Seat: 19K (Business Class)

I headed back to the gate about 15 minutes before boarding was scheduled. Everyone was already queuing by the time I rolled up. I found the Business Class queue where an agent checked my passport again, and off we went.

Waiting at the aircraft door was the usual gaggle of Singapore Girls in their iconic sarongs plus a few more accessories of the ever fashionable N95 masks and goggles. Most things have returned to more or less “normal”, whatever that means, in the States two years after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. So it was jarring to see their garb. One of the Singapore Girls handed me a care kit, which consisted of an extra mask, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer.

I was directed to the far aisle to my seat, 19K, which is the bulkhead seat in the rear Business Class cabin. Singapore’s Business Class seats are among the widest in the sky. The nice thing about the bulkhead seats is that there is a little more legroom in the lie flat position.

I appreciated the old school hard buttons controlling the seat, which I find far more intuitive than the new finagled touchscreen controllers. That said though, because of its design, it doesn’t recline or adjust very much. But the seat is fairly comfortable overall.

And of course there’s the ever useful USB charging ports and universal charging outlets.

As boarding wound down, a flight attendant came around to introduce herself, give the welcome aboard spiel, and take dinner orders or in my case confirm my pre-order. Hard copy menus are a pandemic casualty on Singapore, though the full menu is available online before departure.

The captain also added his welcome aboard and announced a slight delay with loading cargo. Flight time was announced as 7 hours and 40 minutes.

We pushed back about 30 minutes late and passed the insane traffic jam caused by the Terminal C/D/E construction.

Take off into the darkened night sky was smooth, powerful, and quiet as usual with the A350.

Dinner started about 30 minutes after take off. I asked for Whiskey to accompany the tasty package of salted almonds and cashews.

Singapore’s Krisworld IFE system is among the best as far as content goes, and its interface isn’t too shabby either. The screens on the A350 have great resolution as well. I ended watching King Richard.

Tables were set a short while later.

The shrimp and artichoke appetizer was alright.

I was happy to see and savor salty garlicky goodness of the garlic bread.

I pre-ordered the stir fried shrimp and scallops with egg fried rice. It was perfectly edible, nothing more.

Service during dinner was fine and overall quite efficient. Dessert was served about 90 minutes after we rotated off terra firm.

Between the food on the plane and in the lounge, I was stuffed. So I just had a cuppa green tea to sip on while I finished up King Richard. I’m not the biggest tennis fan, but the Williams’ sisters story is very compelling and Will Smith just did a fantastic job.

The downside to Singapore’s Business Class seats is that you have get up to physically flip the seat over. But the bed is certainly wide and comfortable, and I had a good bit of extra room to stretch out with the bulkhead seat.

I slept well for over 3 hours and woke up just a couple of hours out from Manchester. A flight attendant materialized by my side a couple of minutes after I put my seat back into seat mode offering me a beverage. I asked for a cappuccino which was served with a couple packs of raw sugar.

I ended up firing my laptop to work on a few things. Before long, we were rapidly approaching the west coast of Ireland and it was time for breakfast.

Breakfast started with a fresh fruit plate, pastries, muesli. All of it was delicious.

I ordered the sir fried noodles for my main course, which again was perfectly edible and nothing to get excited about.

Another cup of coffee rounded out breakfast, and gave me the jolt I needed to get through the rest of the day.

The captain came on the PA one last time to wish everyone good morning and advise we had 40 minutes before landing. I raised my window shade to take a peek at the outside world to find the sun already high up in the sky.

As the skies over Manchester were relatively clear at the moment, there were nice views of the city on descent and final approach.

A gentle thump reverberated through the cabin as the graceful bird touched down in Manchester followed by the dull roar of the thrust reverser.

Instinctively, I turned on my phone just as the main gear planted on terra firm only to have to have it quite literally explode with notifications. As we cruised high above the Atlantic, Russia invaded Ukraine prompting numerous alerts from my news apps, a couple of texts from friends, and 32,745 texts from my folks. All kidding aside, the escalating geopolitical situation made for sad, numbing, and sobering reads during my time in Manchester.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I hoping to not have to clear immigration, but apparently there is no sterile transit between terminals at Manchester. But other than that, Manchester sure is a far more pleasant airport to transit than Heathrow.There were no lines at immigration, and I was waved on through by a surprisingly nice Border Force gal after a quick swipe of my passport.

My EasyJet flight departed from Terminal 1, which was a bit of a walk. But it’s just what the doctor ordered after all the food, booze, and sitting the last 12ish hours.

Terminal 1 was far less peaceful housing the bulk of EU bound flights including all the low cost carriers. Like Heathrow, it took a solid hour to clear security. But that can be partially chalked up to my cheapness for refusing to pony up an extra 15 quid for priority security. My “electrics” triggered an alarm, but the security folks were as nice as could be just quickly inspecting my iPad and sending me on my merry way.

Once inside, Terminal 1 was attractive in certain parts.

I headed up to the Aspire Lounge, where I was promptly admitted after a quick swipe of my Priority Pass card. The lounge was small but very nice space. There was an open bar and an espresso machine. Food options consisted of a Full English breakfast which I love but it didn’t look particularly appetizing.

I found a comfy seat by the window and settled in for a little reading. Tarmac views were actually quite nice.

Midway through my visit, clouds raced in and it snowed all of the sudden. The snow stopped as quickly as it started.

The gate for my Amsterdam flight was scheduled to be posted 50 minutes before departure, and it was posted at 50 minutes before departure and not a minute sooner.

Our gate was in one of the satellite concourses, and any farther I think I could have walked to Amsterdam.

G-UZHS, the smart looking 4 year old A320NEO making the short hop across the channel, was waiting at the gate.

The gate agents were just setting up as I got there.

EasyJet 1435
Manchester (MAN) – Amsterdam (AMS)
Depart: 2:20PM
Arrive: 4:30PM
Aircraft: Airbus A320NEO
Seat: 3F (Economy Class)

Boarding began on time. Since I purchased a “priority seat” with a carry on, I was in the “Speedy Boarding” group. As you can imagine, seat pitch was a smidge tight. The wafer thin seat itself is hard as a rock. I wouldn’t want to have fly this more than a couple of hours.

The plane was packed to the gills (cue the classic “completely full” and “EVERY SEAT WILL BE TAKEN” spiel by U.S. flight attendants). But impressively boarding wrapped up earlier, only for us to take a delay to wait for a deicing truck and a delayed release because of weather in Amsterdam where the winds were apparently gusting over 40 mph.

We finally pushed back around 30 minutes late, just as thick dark clouds were building around the field. But we were airborne after a quick taxi. A strong gust of wind hit the plane just as it was rotating off the runway, but the pilots were able to get it straighten out with what felt like a good bit of rudder action and turned toward Amsterdam.

While I didn’t partake, the buy on board menu looked solid and relatively reasonably priced.

The surface below was shrouded by a thick cloud layer all the way until we went feet dry over Netherlands. Views were quite nice after we broke through the cloud layer on approach.

We parked at a remote stand.

At this point in time, the Netherlands just reopened to vaccinated tourists. I had all the necessary paperwork handy, but the immigration officer couldn’t have cared less and stamped me in. From there, it was a 30 or so minute cab ride to the Hyatt Regency Amsterdam.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:53 am
Original Poster

The Hyatt Regency Amsterdam was definitely one of coolest Hyatt Regency property I’ve stayed at. The lobby was pretty nifty with its “living wall”

The friendly agent quickly checked me in and explained all the Globalist benefits, etc. I got upgraded to a Regency Suite on the fifth floor.

The bed was very comfortable.

The closet rivaled was big enough to be an apartment on Manhattan. Probably.

The bathroom was equally as impressive.

Breakfast served buffet style at hotel’s restaurant, which was included for me thanks to my Globalist status.

In addition to the self service options, you could order omelets, pancakes, and waffles. Everything was quite high quality, and service was solid.

After settling in, I headed out for a bite to eat and little sightseeing. I found a nearby pub for a beer and vittles.

I don’t know what Europeans do differently with French fries, but it’s always crisper and far less greasy than the one back home in the States. And I really appreciate the mayo with the fries.

I took a long walk after dinner. Amsterdam is absolutely gorgeous at night and just the motivation I needed to keep moving in my tired state.

This seemed rather fitting after the events of the last 24 hours.

It was lovely crisp chilly evening. Perfect for a walk, right up to the point when I started getting pelted with freezing rain. I ended running back to the hotel huffing and puffing, where a hot shower and a comfy bed awaited me.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

After breakfast the next morning, I hopped in an Uber to the Anne Frank house. The Anne Frank house was on the top of my Amsterdam to do list, but I forgot buy tickets until I boarded my Singapore flight in Houston and it was sold out during the entirety of my time in Amsterdam. While I couldn’t actually tour the Anne Frank house, I did have a little boat tour right by the Anne Frank house. So at least I was able to see the door and the massive line waiting to get in.

I opted for a wine and cheese “luxury” canal tour.

Luxury is a word that’s thrown around far too liberally these days. Well… let’s start with the wine and cheese. The wine and cheese were on par with what’s offered at most U.S. airline lounges. At least it bottomless.

At very least I expected a little elbow room and maybe a little leg room, but the boat was crammed with 25 of us.

That said, the tour was a lot of fun. The guide was knowledgeable, and the views were great. I was seated next to a friendly Dutch couple who lived in the U.S. for ten years. They were delightful company. All in all, it was a great way to pass a couple of hours.

After we pulled back up to the dock, I made the 30ish minute scenic walk over to the Heineken brewery.

I’m not the biggest Heineken fan, but I couldn’t pass up yet another brewery tour.

The VIP tour, which was €55 compared to €21 standard tour, was well worth the premium. Instead of a massive group, there was just 12 of us.

In addition to regular tour, we got to visit a number of additional areas such as the old roof top bar that’s now a VIP gathering area.

British Airways lounges don’t quite have the monopoly on the horse lamps.

And the tour finished off at private tasting bar, where we got to try 6 different beers paired with various snacks.

I ended bonding with a couple of lawyers from South Africa on the tour over dog pictures, and ended making plans to go drinking that evening.

But there was still plenty of daylight to burn, and I had tickets for Rijksmuseum which was a short walk away.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone to the Rijksmuseum first as I was a bit tipsy after all that wine and the beer. But it was still very enjoyable.

After the museum, I hopped into an Uber back to the hotel for a nap and woke up in the late afternoon. Having not eating since the cheese on the boat, I was hungry and decided it was time for pancakes. One of my friends was raving about Upstairs Pannen Koeken Huis, or the Upstairs Pancake House. It’s a traditional Dutch Pancake house housed in a 16th century house (upstairs of course). It was a good haul away from the hotel, so I hopped into another Uber.

I ordered the bacon, brie, and honey pancake which was absolutely amazing.

I still had a couple of hours to kill before meeting up my new South African friends, so I took a walk around the area.

Sign of the times.

Afterwards, I met up my new friends at a pub. I’ll be frank… I don’t remember much what happened after a few of these.

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I woke up with a massive headache at a disagreeably later hour the next morning. But I was determined to not let my last day in Amsterdam go to waste. So I dragged myself out of bed, and down to the restaurant just before it closed for a couple of pots of coffee and a good greasy breakfast.

After another nap, I finally headed out.

First stop was Verzets Resistance Museum, which commemorates the Dutch resistance during World War II. It was very well done, and very interesting.

I stumbled into a beautiful nearby park.

And checked out the botanical gardens.

And then the Rembrandt House.

Ran into this little guy on the way out of the Rembrandt House.

Eventually, I wandered my way back to the hotel to shower and check out. I still had a bit of time before I had to head to the airport, so I headed to a Korean fired chicken place a few blocks away at the recommendation of the front desk manager.

I ordered the spicy garlic honey chicken and fried king oyster mushrooms for take away, and took it to a nearby park to eat. It was absolutely delicious.

There wasn’t much daylight left to burn by time I walked back to the hotel.

I wanted to hail an Uber to the airport, but I gave up after five of them canceled on me. So I asked the front desk to call me cab. While I was waiting for the cab, I realized I still had my little gift from the Heineken Experience in my bag. I didn’t want to check my bag, so I had the bartender pop the bottle for me and chugged the beer right there in the lobby just as the cab pulled up.

Luckily I left the hotel a few hours before my flight as the main highway was shut down because of an accident. 90 minutes later and €100 poorer, I stepped out at Amsterdam’s Schipol International Airport. I wasn’t able to check into my Air France flight online, so I printed out my boarding pass at a kiosk and cleared security.

The A320 taking me to Paris arrived as I got to the gate.

Air France 1441
Amsterdam (AMS) – Paris (CDG)
Depart: 8:25PM
Arrive: 9:50PM
Aircraft: Airbus A320-200
Seat: 11F (Economy Class)

The flight was full, but I was able to snag a comfortable exit row seat.

Not much to say about this short flight. Flight attendants were friendly. And they made a quick pass for sandwiches and drinks. I passed the time reading a book on my iPad.

The engines were shutdown right on schedule despite leaving the stand a few minutes late at Amsterdam, and I was landside just five minutes after deplaning which is solid for CDG.

It took me a minute to find the cab stand, but eventually I found it and was dropped off at the Hyatt Regency CDG after a quick ride.

I don’t usually get excited about short overnights at airport hotels, but I was downright giddy for this one. I checked the Hyatt app while I was in Amsterdam and saw my room type was showing as the Presidential Suite instead of the standard king room I booked. I was convinced this was glitch, but I was eager to be proven wrong. And I was wrong, thought it was adventure trying to find the room as there was no signage.

Admittedly, the Hyatt Regency CDG is an older tired property. So while the room was impressive and overall clean and comfortable, it like the rest of the hotel is badly in need of a refresh.

There’s a half bath off the living room.

I can’t say I’ve stayed in too many hotel rooms with grand pianos.

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

The suite upgrade was sweet indeed, but I needed to get to CDG super early to make sure I had enough time to get a COVID test to fly home. I was in an Uber bound for CDG just over 8 hours after I checked in.

The pharmacy in Terminal in 2F seemed to be the hot spots if the line snaking a good ways down the terminal was any indication. Like me, everyone in that line needed a negative antigen test go on their merry way. I was amused that the technician was printing out my negative result before she tested my sample, but I got what I needed and I headed over to Terminal 2A.

It was a bit of a walk, but at least there were some decent views on the way.

Check in was pretty routine, other than being forced to complete a passenger locator form. Fast track was actually fast this morning, and I was through security and immigration in a jiffy and found myself at the Admirals Club.

The shuttered Cathay Pacific lounge next to the Admirals Club was a sad sight.

A friendly agent admitted me into the club after a quick scan of my boarding pass. The Admirals Club at CDG isn’t the biggest or nicest lounge. But it’s perfectly comfortable and pleasant space to kill a couple of hours.

The food spread is several notches above the offering at domestic US clubs with a nice selection of hot and cold offerings.

I grabbed a small snack and snagged a window seat to enjoy the views.

I left the lounge about 30 minutes before boarding to stretch my legs an head to the gate, which was a good haul away.

All of Americans flights departed from the satellite concourse.

The concourse had a pretty cool retro look. Though it was pretty chaotic with several boarding at the same time.

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:56 am
Original Poster

American Airlines 755
Paris (CDG) – Miami (MIA)
Depart: 10:15AM
Arrive: 3:35PM
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
Seat: 5K (Business Class)

When I double checked the seat map the night before, American’s app was still showing this flight operated with a plan in the Super Diamond seat. I was in for a bit of an unpleasant surprise when I turned left into business class to find the dreaded Zodiac seats. The Zodiac seats are far less comfortable, narrower, and in an annoying yin/yang configuration. I drew short straw, as my original seat assignment is a rear facing seat in the Zodiac equipped planes.

The only good thing about these seats is the extra universal power outlet.

The seat controls and IFE controller were intuitive enough.

The cleaners must be having an off day as there was still trash including a sock at my seat when I got there. I brought it to the attention to the flight attendant serving PDBs, who was mortified and called another flight attendant to bring a glove and a bad.

Speaking of PDBs, it was standard choice of water, orange juice, and sparkling wine. I went with the sparkling wine

American’s IFE is pretty good on the planes they didn’t rip it out. I started watching Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on the ground.

Boarding wrapped up a few minutes late. After buttoning everything up, the tug roared to life and pushed this heavy Boeing 777 back. Taxi to the runway was lightspeed by CDG standards. Climb out was a smidge steeper than I’m used to we made it up to 36,000 feet in no time.

Showtime started right as we went feet wet over the Atlantic.

The menu was pretty standard American.

Does a tablecloth covering the entire tray table cost that much more?

Next up is American’s ever inviting hot gauze pads.

I will give American a lot of credit for doing warm mixed nuts right. I washed mine down with a vodka tonic.

The tataki salmon appetizer and salad were both delicious.

I pre-ordered the steak, which a flight attendant confirmed while we were on the ground. It was perfectly a bit dry, but edible enough.

Throw it under things you don’t appreciate until you miss it. I grew tired of eating American’s signature ice cream sundaes over the year, but I found myself missing those sundaes during its COVID hiatus. Sure I can make sundaes myself at home, it definitely didn’t hit the same way.

After conking about for a few hours, I woke up to find another exciting re-return: the midflight snack bar.

The chicken salad sandwich was actually quite good. I enjoyed it with a fruit salad and Creed. If I can’t scuba, then what’s this all been about?

After a few more episodes of The Office, we were rapidly approaching the Florida’s Atlantic Coast and it was time to eat yet again.

I started off with a ginger ale.

I was eying the orzo pasta, but the cart on my aisle was already out it. So the flight attendant went and hunted one down for me from the other aisle. It was actually quite good.

By the trays were cleared, we were just 34 minutes away from Miami hugging the coastline and beginning a gradual descent

We went feet dry over Miami Beach

I fired up the HUD mode on the moving map, and it was one of the more disorienting experiences of my life with the rear facing seat.

The engines were shutdown some 40 minutes ahead of schedule. As much crap as I give American, this was perfectly enjoyable flight. The food overall was quite good, and the flight attendants were friendly. Getting stuck with the Zodiac seats wasn’t ideal, but it was still more comfortable than hanging out in coach.

The plane parked at Terminal E, which meant a very long walk to immigration. I had plenty of time, so I took my time. It felt amazing to stretch my legs again.

Global Entry got me through immigration and customs in no time, and it was back through security. I did a couple of laps around the terminal before heading to the D30 Flagship Lounge. There was a long line to get in.

Most of the folks seemed to be headed to the Admirals Club as the Flagship Lounge was actually quite serene. Nothing changed changed since my visit in December.

The first order of business was a shower.

Feeling like a new person, I found a comfy corner to catch up on some work. I did get somewhat hungry-ish after a couple of hours and grabbed a little snack before heading to the gate.

My flight to Houston departed from gate D40, so it was a relatively short walk from the lounge.

American Airlines 2321
Miami (MIA) – Houston (IAH)
Depart: 7:30PM
Arrive: 9:47PM
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Seat: 2E (First Class)

I’ll never understand why gate agents start boarding until they get the all clear from the cabin crew. We ended up getting stuck on the jetbridge for ten minutes before the cabin crew allowed us onboard.

Waiting for us at the end of the jetbridge was a sad Oasis’ed 737-800

There isn’t all to much to talk about on these domestic flights even upfront. But the flight attendant on this flight was truly exceptional. She absolutely worked her tail off starting with swimming through the masses to offer PDBs of choice. And then she didn’t sit down for a minute enroute as she was busy offering refills and clearing trash. Catering was a massive improvement compared to when I flew the same flight a couple of weeks prior.

Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:24 pm

Well done!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:40 pm

Nice!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
You're a madman for eating shrimp and grits and then korean fried chicken before going to the airport!!!!
janehoya likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Nice trip report!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Well done!
Originally Posted by chuck1
Nice!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by RK23
You're a madman for eating shrimp and grits and then korean fried chicken before going to the airport!!!!
And I lived to tell the tale!

Originally Posted by WXFlyer1957
Nice trip report!
Appreciate you reading, WXFlyer1957
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Jeez, I need to get over to the Trip Report forum more often. Quite the weekend there, dat! Thanks for another typically fine effort - I quite enjoyed reading about it, especially in preparation for tomorrow's flights SIN-LAX-ANC.
Firebreaker7 and dat4life like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Jeez, I need to get over to the Trip Report forum more often. Quite the weekend there, dat! Thanks for another typically fine effort - I quite enjoyed reading about it, especially in preparation for tomorrow's flights SIN-LAX-ANC.
Hope you enjoyed your flight, 2A! I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.