Vienna, Bavaria and a new country

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Kunsthistorisches Museum

The Kunsthistorisches Museum forms an ensemble with the Naturhistorisches Museum opposite.

The collection includes a lot from ancient sculptures, mummies and gold works to very important paintings. You could say there is something for (nearly) everyone.

Vaclav, lamphs and brandie like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Naturhistorisches Museum

Our visit to the Natural History Museum was very short, we didn't really feel like seeing stuffed animals.

Vaclav and lamphs like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ferstel Passage

A short visit to the quite empty Ferstel Passage.

Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cafe Central

For the small hunger we stopped at the Cafe Central. In front of it was a huge queue.

So we first went past the whole line and straight to the counter. I really don't need to sit there, take away is enough for me. At the counter, however, we were first ignored and while I already wanted to go ("Sollen ihren Kuchen selber essen (last word slightly modified)") then helped a rather brash speech, whether you get something to take away. We then selected 2 (very expensive) pieces, the taste was OK (no more and no less).

Old Nov 12, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amador

For dinner we went to the only 3-star restaurant in town, the Amador. It is located a bit outside and you need a few minutes by car. The area where it is located I would now not necessarily describe as a villa district, after I had parked my car next to a few glass containers (its own parking lot is not there), there were already a few strange birds running around.

You sit in an old wine cellar, unsurprisingly all the tables were occupied.

First there were small appetizers.

The menu, which we were of course somewhat modified. 295 € is for Austria at the upper edge, but there was also a lot for it.

Let's get to the actual gears, then. One leans more on Spanish than Austrian customs, which is to be explained with the origin of the cook.

The food was without question of high quality. Nevertheless, I can't say that I was totally hooked. If I had to choose between the Steirereck and the Amador, I would choose the former. I simply liked it better.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Römerstadt Carnuntum

The next day was once again an excursion day and we headed for Slovakia, after all we wanted to get to know a new country. But first we stopped at the Roman city of Carnuntum. It is a small museum with excavations and some reconstructed buildings. In Germany comparable approximately with Xanten.

Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Niederweiden

On the way to Hof Castle, we stopped briefly at Niederweiden Castle. Unfortunately, photography was prohibited inside.

Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Hof

Schloss Hof is a pretty baroque castle on the Slovak border. Here, too, photography was prohibited in the reconstructed interiors, so only a few outdoor exceptions and pictures of the garden.

Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bratislava

But now it was time to get to know a new country and we went to Bratislava. Quite a small capital with some old architecture.
Church of the Annunciation

Municipal gallery

Nice house
Hlavné námestie (Main square)

Bust of Franz Liszt
Čumil
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Martinsdom

The cathedral of Bratislava.

The church was from 1563 to 1830 of the Hungarian kings.

There is a small museum (photography prohibited) and cathacombs with some tombs.

Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Konditorei Kormuth

To fortify ourselves, we decided to visit the historic confectionery Kormuth.

At the entrance we first had to wait, in front of us was a group of Americans (think it anyway, the English did not sound British) who made a big bramborium around a table. When one was found, they looked at the counter and said to the following members of the group: "They only have cakes, no sweets." After that they left. To this day I don't know what the gentlemen expected. Maybe someone can explain it to me?
In any case, the display appealed to me.

The décor is somewhat historic, pushing hard on the edge of kitsch.

In the basement there is still a kind of bar and a guest room, both unused.

And a not quite common toilet.

But the most important thing in a pastry shop is, of course, the cake. And there you could really be very satisfied. It was fresh and of good quality.

Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fabios

On the last night, we went to Fabios, which is just behind the Park Hyatt and in the Rosewood building. It has a plate in the Michelin and is quite well known as Italian.

The restaurant was incredibly crowded and at the beginning I was almost shot down by a champagne bottle. At least the gush did not hit me and only the cap at the foot. Short apology and that was it.
But now to the food:
The squid rings were of good quality.

The fish soup was also good.

The noodles with seafood were not bad.

The truffle pasta was also solid.

The dessert was not very good, it can be much better.

The food was solid to good, but also quite expensive.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Augustiner-Chorherrenstift St. Florian

In the morning it was time to say goodbye to Vienna and head for Elmau. On the way, however, we stopped at the monastery of St. Florian.

Actually, I wanted to see the staterooms of the monastery, but they are only accessible with a guided tour. For such a tour we would have had to wait 2 hours because of the lunch break, we would have arrived very late in Elmau. So we had to be satisfied with an outside view.
The Priest Cemetery.

At least the collegiate church with the Bruckner tomb was open.

1P, Vaclav and lamphs like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Elmau

I've been after Schloss Elmau for years, but somehow it never worked out. If you have the choice between Portofino and Elmau, the former often wins. But this time it was so far and I have booked 6 nights in the retreat.
The journey from the highway is tedious and shortly before the hotel waits the first surprise. It is a private road and for which one may pay. 5 € per day or 20 € for 1 week. There comes joy!
From a distance you can see the castle, here is the Hideway housed.

But we wanted to go to the retreat, for which you have to drive a less glamorous way across the farmyard. The building is smaller than the Hideway.

The car arrived in the underground parking garage. Here it was already noticeable that every parking space has a wallbox. Very nice, but at that time I had no use for it.
We were first seated in the lobby with something to drink. So here already a few impressions:

Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Elmau

We had booked a Valley Suite and were upgraded to a Ferchenbach Suite. With 85sqm of decent size.
Here is a (accurate) floor plan and the overview plan.

The suite initially had a fairly large hallway with closets.

The powder room

Behind it went into the bathroom. This I found so medium. Sure, it was nice and big, but that was it. At first, the open shower concept doesn't appeal to me at all. Next to that, one wonders why there is only 1 sink. Here you could have used the space much better. I would fire any bathroom designer who delivers such a design to me immediately.

The suite itself was quite open, where you could divide the rooms. Whether you like the design is one thing, I generally like it. What was not so great is the fact that you had the air conditioning turned off, at times over 30 degrees and location in the blazing sun. Also, for example, the closet in the living room was without any light, so you needed a flashlight in the evening. Also, you could not control the TV in the living room without also turning on and off the TV in the bedroom (with unsynchronized sound).

The minibar was free, but only the water was refilled

When I see something like that, I have a crisis.

Sure, probably for security reasons there is only until 4 pm turn down. What am I supposed to do with a turn down at 4? These are cost-cutting measures, nothing else.
Beautiful was the balcony.

But really magnificent was the view, this is really priceless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.