FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFO777

LOL
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum, KL/AF Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks

Great report SFO777 as always....I love these 3 days get aways...it is about time I had one myself....
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Man that meal at Gaa looks amazing. It's great to see Indian food elevated to Michelin star levels.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
LOL. Not sure when he has there and the airline and routing but what I experienced arriving from an "unclean country" was chaos.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
It's been some time since I flew the pointy end on JAL. Did they still serve the Queen of Blue tea? I always really enjoyed that and would alternate between that and an alcoholic beverage. JAL also used to serve the Hibiki 17 but sadly that can't happen any more, too expensive and hard to source. Great trip report!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Great JAL F writeup, SFO777. I'll be flying in it in a couple of months and based on your review, I can't wait!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dickie98
It's been some time since I flew the pointy end on JAL. Did they still serve the Queen of Blue tea? I always really enjoyed that and would alternate between that and an alcoholic beverage. JAL also used to serve the Hibiki 17 but sadly that can't happen any more, too expensive and hard to source. Great trip report!
Thanks dickie98. Yes, they do still service Queen of Blue.

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
Great JAL F writeup, SFO777. I'll be flying in it in a couple of months and based on your review, I can't wait!
Thanks very much xjaehyun. Enjoy your flight!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What better sign that nature is finally healing than an international first class trip report from SFO777? Looks like a great trip. I had no idea that TG had newly fitted F on some B773s these days - and miraculously the service levels and catering quality still seem to be very high. It seems like a marginally viable product right now so I had feared the worst.

The BKK lounge looks like it's perhaps a roped off area of the business lounge, rather than the new F lounge? Was the spa open?

Lovely champagne selection with today's ex-US flight being Cristal.

But dreadful wine list. Looks like I'll be sticking to champagne.

I'm interested as to why you consider the wine list (champagne aside) to be dreadful? It's definitely quirky, and I'm not familiar with all of it, but it looks like an interesting and respectable offering to me (admittedly with a few notable lapses in quality). But definitely a list where you could find interesting and appealing things to drink. (The Kusuda Pinot Noir in particular is fabulous stuff - though I see in the fine print that's not served on the US routes.) Just not to your taste or are there particular wines on there you dislike?

I can see the appeal of their champagnes, though. Snaring a ticked on JL F is likely the only way I'll try Salon so that's on the (champagne) bucket list
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
What better sign that nature is finally healing than an international first class trip report from SFO777? Looks like a great trip. I had no idea that TG had newly fitted F on some B773s these days - and miraculously the service levels and catering quality still seem to be very high. It seems like a marginally viable product right now so I had feared the worst. The BKK lounge looks like it's perhaps a roped off area of the business lounge, rather than the new F lounge? Was the spa open?
Thanks very much mad_atta. The BKK F lounge is new and it is a separate lounge beyond the Business Lounge. No idea about the spa as it was early in the AM and I didn't have to presence of mind to ask.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm interested as to why you consider the wine list (champagne aside) to be dreadful? It's definitely quirky, and I'm not familiar with all of it, but it looks like an interesting and respectable offering to me (admittedly with a few notable lapses in quality). But definitely a list where you could find interesting and appealing things to drink. (The Kusuda Pinot Noir in particular is fabulous stuff - though I see in the fine print that's not served on the US routes.) Just not to your taste or are there particular wines on there you dislike?
I'm partial to French wines so I guess my wine frame of reference is EK which has the best and most extravagant in-flight wine list, and which is 60% French. Apart from the Chateau Lagrange and Prophet's Rock, I hadn't encountered any of the offerings. In that case, I check to Vivino app before pushback. Anything under a 4.0 rating or $50 is not worth my while in flight when my options are Cristal, Salon or Comtes. A $15 bottle of wine in F?? Seriously?

Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Had lunch at Rongros yesterday after visiting Wat Pho thanks to your recommendation, SFO777 . Great food and view, even though I thought the Tom Kha was on the spicy side for my gringo palate. The cocktail list looked great, but no booze allowed thanks to a Buddhist holiday.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssb2045
Had lunch at Rongros yesterday after visiting Wat Pho thanks to your recommendation, SFO777 . Great food and view, even though I thought the Tom Kha was on the spicy side for my gringo palate. The cocktail list looked great, but no booze allowed thanks to a Buddhist holiday.
Thanks ssb2045. Glad you enjoyed Rongros.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
An enjoyable read!

​​​​​​What on earth is that triangular lump on the bread plate on your DEN-ORD sector? The ORD Flagship lounge catering looks better than the others in the network. I like how each of the AA Flagship lounges follows a consistent style, although they do feel a little utilitarian and perhaps even a little dated these days. It will be interesting to see what the new PHL Flagship lounge is like when it (if it ever) opens.

I too don’t get JL's BEDD branding. Every time I see ‘Sky Auberge’ I think it says ‘Sky Aubergine’ . JL’s catering looks superb, but it would look even better showcased on a white tablecloth. I was very impressed with the catering on my ITM-HND sector in First Class a few years ago, even on such a short flight. I hope the NRT ground experience has now improved post re-opening of Japan to foreign tourism.

I haven’t heard great things about TG recently (dirty cabins, limited service), but it seems that wasn’t the case on your flights, perhaps because you were flying on a new aircraft and of course were in F. The doily in the bread basket is very old fashioned, but the catering seemed decent. The new Royal First lounge at BKK didn’t look as special as the old one, which is a bit disappointing.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
An enjoyable read!

​​​​​​What on earth is that triangular lump on the bread plate on your DEN-ORD sector? The ORD Flagship lounge catering looks better than the others in the network. I like how each of the AA Flagship lounges follows a consistent style, although they do feel a little utilitarian and perhaps even a little dated these days. It will be interesting to see what the new PHL Flagship lounge is like when it (if it ever) opens.

I too don’t get JL's BEDD branding. Every time I see ‘Sky Auberge’ I think it says ‘Sky Aubergine’ . JL’s catering looks superb, but it would look even better showcased on a white tablecloth. I was very impressed with the catering on my ITM-HND sector in First Class a few years ago, even on such a short flight. I hope the NRT ground experience has now improved post re-opening of Japan to foreign tourism.

I haven’t heard great things about TG recently (dirty cabins, limited service), but it seems that wasn’t the case on your flights, perhaps because you were flying on a new aircraft and of course were in F. The doily in the bread basket is very old fashioned, but the catering seemed decent. The new Royal First lounge at BKK didn’t look as special as the old one, which is a bit disappointing.
Thanks very much Genius1 for reading and your comments. That triangular thing on AA was some type of scone. Unfortunately, it had the consistency of a hockey puck.

I really enjoy the ORD Flagship Lounge and would rank it my favorite in the AA network.

Really enjoyed TG and their new 77W cabin, but I would agree that the new F Lounge is not as nice or as special as the old one. I'm heading back to BKK in July on the same routing, although this time I was fortunate to find ANA First seats using my VS miles for my ORD-NRT flight .
Genius1 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
[QUOTE=SFO777. I'm heading back to BKK in July on the same routing, although this time I was fortunate to find ANA First seats using my VS miles for my ORD-NRT flight .[/QUOTE]

Now SFO7777 do tell. How do you use your Victoria Secret (VS) card points to book a flight? You are good. 😜
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thank you for your review of Gaa. My wife and I went last night, and it was also the best meal I've had this year. The service was perfect, and I really enjoyed the participatory aspect of some of the dishes.

The current vegetarian menu and wine pairings
sl00001 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.