Castles, stars and cats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Le Cinq

For the last evening, we were scheduled to visit Le Cinq, the 3-star flagship restaurant of the Four Seasons. First you walk through La Galerie.

The restaurant is elegant, if a bit old-fashioned.

Amuse Bouche

A look at the menu then was not for the faint of heart. There was a menu that was quite generously priced at €535 (the current one costs €580). One could also say outrageous. A limit is certainly exceeded here, logically one can hardly explain that more. We decided then to order a la carte, price-wise one saved with the menu also not really.
Crab in its shell

Quite nice dish and tasty, but now also no taste explosion. Around 100 € are certainly not too little for it.
Marinated Scallops, Gold caviar, Sea water foam

That tasted good, again one is with about 100 €.
Tuna belly

GF wasn't too fond of her main course, the tuna belly was a bit greasy for her. I'll mark it off as a mis-selection, I thought it was solid.
Blue lobster, pistachio, amaretto, crispy rice

Lobster actually always tastes good, so you can't really do much wrong. The dish was good and with 148 € also the credit card has something of it, there is a nice points credit waiting.
Pre-dessert

Petit fours

Our desserts (45 € each). I had pistachio with strawberries

GF chocolate

From the bakery

The chocolate trolley

How did I like the food? So-so! Certainly not bad, but certainly not my favorite restaurant. For 3 stars it was not outstanding. If you now take into account the price-performance ratio, it becomes unattractive. Just totally overpriced. I had 4 courses, GF 3 and with a glass of wine and 2 bottles of water we were at almost 800 €. Just acceptable, if it is then also really terrific. But it was not, it was basically just solid. Since one is then already a little disappointed.
Vaclav and Vaterland like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Four Seasons Breakfast (room service II)

On the last morning we had breakfast again via room service.

There is a blue lobster omelette for 71 €, which I then tried. Without question delicious.

At €28, the egg white omelette with baby spinach was almost a gift. Solid.

The crepes for 27 € with berries were then not so really great, we've had better.

I think the toast was free!
Vaclav and United747 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:18 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Yes, outrageously overpriced. You'd have done so much better with the signature menu at Le Cinq. I get that you don't eat meat, but substitutions are always possible in a top-class establishment (in this case, sea bass instead of the venison), and you'd have had much better value for your Euros. (I don't eat grapefruit because it conflicts with my medication and have never had a problem getting a substitute dish.)
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Yes, outrageously overpriced. You'd have done so much better with the signature menu at Le Cinq. I get that you don't eat meat, but substitutions are always possible in a top-class establishment (in this case, sea bass instead of the venison), and you'd have had much better value for your Euros. (I don't eat grapefruit because it conflicts with my medication and have never had a problem getting a substitute dish.)
Regarding value it's not correct anymore at Le Cinq. First of all I was full after the meal. And I added all courses in the menu and the price was the same a la carte. You don't save anything.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Parc de Bagatelle

Before leaving Paris, we made a quick stop at the Parc de Bagatelle. We were particularly interested in the rose garden. In the park there is still a small castle (visit only rarely with guided tour).

Since we still had a little program for the return trip, we only did a small part of the park. I can imagine that we will verbeischauen here again on the next visit to Paris.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beauvais Cathedral

On the way back home, we stopped first in Beauvais. The main attraction is the cathedral. This is quite a peculiarity, the ground plan is namely - let's say - unusual. Actually, it is only a grandiose choir, after the rest of the cathedral collapsed twice.

The impression continues inside.

Vaclav likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:16 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Horrified to see those extra bracing struts in Beauvais cathedral. The place must be in far worse shape than the last time I was there. They might at least have tried to make them the same colour as the stonework!

It's an amazing building. I remember the very first time I visited. You walk in and your eyes go up.... and up..... and up. It's as if it will never end. Those who witnessed it when it was first built must have been stunned! It certainly pushed Gothic cathedral building technique as far as it could go, if not actually too far.

Don't think it's quite correct to say that the rest of the cathedral collapsed. Most of the rest of the cathedral was never actually built.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Horrified to see those extra bracing struts in Beauvais cathedral. The place must be in far worse shape than the last time I was there. They might at least have tried to make them the same colour as the stonework!

It's an amazing building. I remember the very first time I visited. You walk in and your eyes go up.... and up..... and up. It's as if it will never end. Those who witnessed it when it was first built must have been stunned! It certainly pushed Gothic cathedral building technique as far as it could go, if not actually too far.

Don't think it's quite correct to say that the rest of the cathedral collapsed. Most of the rest of the cathedral was never actually built.
It's true, the old building alone, which is still there, shows that they weren't very far along yet. Therefore, my description was not very accurate. I can only agree otherwise, everything is very impressive. I did not know that the support struts are quite new. I would have guessed them older.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beauvais Musée de l'Oise

The museum is located next to the cathedral and is housed in the old bishop's palace.

The collection is divided mainly into ceramics and painting of the 19th century.

It is not the most spectacular museum, but since the entrance is free, you can visit it once.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St-Étienne Beauvais

The second important church in Beauvais is St-Étienne. The facade is impressive and already worth seeing, but it is certainly interesting inside as well. Unfortunately, the door was locked, so here the visit remained unfinished.

Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amiens Cathedral

Now we come to the last stop of this trip. We stopped in Amiens. The highlight of the city is without question the cathedral, which is one of the most important in the country. The facade is impressive.

The church is also impressive from the inside.

Vaterland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.