Community
Wiki Posts
Search

southeast Africa: when trips go very very badly

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
What a story. But I'm absolutely shocked by you here.

You made a choice to travel to the bush, in a remote part of Africa. You had an accident - fair enough. However, when you came across a tow truck, you felt the need to insult his vehicle (on multiple occasions), you insulted their roads, their country, and it appears you've insulted their use of Portuguese language too - all so you can "get back on schedule".

The guy in that truck did not need to help you - but he chose to. Perhaps, count your blessings. If the tone of this post is anything to go by, I would have refused to. Perhaps, in future, stick to package tours where everyone is there to serve you and your needs.
You're coming in super hot here.

I paid (a very large amount) to be rescued. This wasn't charity, it was for a paid, expensive service. Considering how quick you are to form opinions and criticize me, I find it hard to believe that you don't do the same for anything you purchase. Regardless, I am fully entitled to form opinions for things that I pay for. If you do not agree, that's certainly your right, but I am not going to apologize for voicing my opinion of a service that was provided for a fee.

As for the roads of the country, I stated facts. The roads are in poor condition. I'm not going to apologize for describing the roads as I experienced them, and then forming an opinion of the roads that I needed to drive on.

I didn't insult their use of the language. That was a reference to my (poor) ability to speak their language.

If you don't agree with, or like my tone, so be it, but you aren't going to convince me (or possibly others) of your position when your tone is hostile, abrasive, and based on erroneous assumptions.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by netllama
You're coming in super hot here.

I paid (a very large amount) to be rescued. This wasn't charity, it was for a paid, expensive service. Considering how quick you are to form opinions and criticize me, I find it hard to believe that you don't do the same for anything you purchase. Regardless, I am fully entitled to form opinions for things that I pay for. If you do not agree, that's certainly your right, but I am not going to apologize for voicing my opinion of a service that was provided for a fee.

As for the roads of the country, I stated facts. The roads are in poor condition. I'm not going to apologize for describing the roads as I experienced them, and then forming an opinion of the roads that I needed to drive on.

I didn't insult their use of the language. That was a reference to my (poor) ability to speak their language.

If you don't agree with, or like my tone, so be it, but you aren't going to convince me (or possibly others) of your position when your tone is hostile, abrasive, and based on erroneous assumptions.
Again - You went to one of the poorest countries in Africa. You then proceed to insult their roads, and the man's vehicle who operates a local service. Nobody cares if you paid for the service or not - do you expect that because you paid, you get some white glove experience? I'm absolutely astonished by this post. This is precisely what gives certain Western tourists a bad name. "I am fully entitled". I can tell.
Deltahater likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Thank you so much for an extraordinary account, made all the better by the photos! You remind me of why I miss travel so much.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Thank you so much for an extraordinary account, made all the better by the photos! You remind me of why I miss travel so much.
Glad you found the report interesting!
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by netllama
Thanks. It wasn't only Google that was routing me this way. The offline OpenStreetMap engines were also doing it (MAPS.me, OsmAnd+). I'm guessing the underlying issue is that the road data presents these routes as real "roads", so anything consuming that data inherently trusts them.
the question is why did you use these 3 maps and not tracks4africa? you probably could have saved yourself some grief.

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Very entertaining (although I'm sure you didn't set out to be). Thanks.

A couple points for readers that might help.

1. African Portuguese and South American Portuguese (i.e., Brazilian) are not the same, as I found out when negotiating with some African governments. If you are not yourself fluent, don't trust the translation program's suggestions without checking, since it may not be programed for the continent on which you find yourself.

2. If you're driving into or through the bush in Africa, try to stick to Toyotas. They are durable, forgiving, and really stand up to the guff. I noticed that not only commercial (civilian) folks favor them, but also embassies (even the US Embassy) favor them. I asked a US Embassy RSO in one African nation who had served in various African nations and he said there is no comparison with any other brand.
one key reason for toyota (and not nissan or mitsubishi or chelsea truck) is also because the spare parts are more easily available in various parts of africa during vehicle breakdown
this is also the reason why toyota tends to command higher price during resale. high demand.
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnomey
the question is why did you use these 3 maps and not tracks4africa? you probably could have saved yourself some grief.

I only listed two maps. The third that I used actually was tracks4africa, which honestly isn't much better. It categorized most of these roads as "main offroad" which is not very useful when that can have a wide variety of meanings. Some parts of these "main offroad" were in decent condition, others were far worse.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:22 pm

Wow, thank you for sharing. I am impressed with your calm and your ability to work through difficult situations.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, thank you for sharing. I am impressed with your calm and your ability to work through difficult situations.

Thanks. At the time, there didn't seem to be much choice.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:09 pm

Thanks enjoyed the report.

if i were ever to do something like this id recruit a capable wingman. Safety with a partner.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
How did you rent the vehicle in JNB for dropoff in Lusaka? And how was the damage covered? Did you have some kind of insurance or were you charged at the end?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reggie108
Thanks enjoyed the report.

if i were ever to do something like this id recruit a capable wingman. Safety with a partner.
That was actually the original plan, but my travel partner dropped out a month before.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:50 pm

What a trip! Dare I ask what additional charges you incurred when you returned the rented Hilux?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
How did you rent the vehicle in JNB for dropoff in Lusaka? And how was the damage covered? Did you have some kind of insurance or were you charged at the end?
It was a one-way rental, and I had full insurance coverage from the rental company. I lost the 200ZAR security deposit, but that was it.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMom
What a trip! Dare I ask what additional charges you incurred when you returned the rented Hilux?
I paid extra for full insurance coverage up front, so the only loss was my security deposit when I returned the vehicle (about US$120).
CaliforniaMom likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:22 pm

Outstanding report! Thanks for writing it. The part where you were going in reverse, up the hill, in the dark, was priceless. Looking forward to more stories of your future travel, hopefully safer and more enjoyable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.