A trip to an old new world

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A trip to an old new world

I have 3 trips planned for this year, but as the saying goes: Something more always goes. A destination which was actually immediately back on the list since our trip in 2019 is London, always a nice destination. Actually, we wanted to make a few more days in the area, but with rental car prices of € 200 for a Fiat 500 and € 400 for a BMW 530d (probably in basic equipment)this was not too attractive. On top of that, hotel prices were off the charts. So in the end it came down to London alone. Flights were quickly booked with excess British Airways points, now it was on to the hotel search. I still have a $500 voucher for Belmond, but somehow I can't warm up to the Belmond London. Also, the Lanesborough has always appealed to me and it was priced quite attractively with 4 for 3 offers. In the end, it was 4 nights at the Lanesborough for a short trip. The restaurants were also booked quickly, the choice fell on the two previously unknown to me 3-star restaurants Helene Darroze and Sketch. I also booked Claude Bosi at Bibendum (I was always attracted by the building) and Amaya as an Indian restaurant. So then it could start....
lamphs, whitewave, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

DUS - Open Sky Lounge

A premiere followed! Previously, British Airways in Düsseldorf has always departed from the B gates, so we used the Hugo Junkers Lounge. This time the flight departed from the C gates, so it went to the Open Sky Lounge. So far I only knew the Emirates lounge there and I was excited.
The excitement didn't last long, the Open Sky Lounge is certainly not a place you need to have seen. In terms of design, the Hugo Junkers Lounge is more attractive and the food offer was also rather simple in nature. Fortunately, it was only a short visit.

Concerto and whitewave like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:17 pm

Another trip report by offerendum! Looking forward to it!
offerendum likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Another trip report by offerendum! Looking forward to it!
Thanks!
Old May 5, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting... I've never been in the Open Sky lounge in DUS. Thanks for the trip report!
offerendum and whitewave like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DUS - LHR

Unfortunately, I can't promise too much excitement on the flight now. It was basically a standard flight in a wonna-be business in an A319.

Boarding was fast, the seat as expected. Some time ago, BA has given his business a renewal, so primarily the distances from row 2 significantly reduced. From the seat pitch, one flies in the emergency exit row definitely better. A real impertinence.

BA has the nerve to charge business passengers €26 for a seat reservation. No thanks, I was happy to do without. Particularly funny here was that the first row (the only one with some seat pitch) was not available at all. At check-in it was then free, so who pays is punished twice.
Farewell to Düsseldorf.

I always find the food in Club-Europe quite decent and also this time the vegetarian breakfast was quite good.

Bye Belgian Coast

Hello English coast.

Windsor Castle (photographed too late)

Ditton Manor

We arrived in time and said good bye to our plane.

Baggage claim

What came first? Suitcase without priority tag..... After all, our suitcases came quite quickly.

lamphs and whitewave like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trip to the Lanesborough

I had decided to book the hotel limousine for the ride to the hotel, because the price of 200 GBP was just above Blacklane and SixtRide. After we left the baggage claim, our driver was waiting for us. It was off to a fairly new BMW 740d. What I don't understand at this point is why the Lanesborough would purchase a regular 7 series. After all, if I have a chauffeur car, I'll take a long version. If I want to drive it myself, I'd rather leave it alone.
At the airport at the latest, it became clear that we had arrived in what felt like a different world. While in Düsseldorf the majority of people wore masks, now it was only a very small minority. Also our chauffeur wore almost self-evidently no mask.
The ride was then quite fast and pleasant, everything was ready when we arrived.

lamphs likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Yes masks in England disappeared first in the UK, thankfully the other nations weren't as quick in doing that! I was more than happy to keep wearing my mask for another couple of months but happy enough now to be mask free.

Re the hire car prices - not sure if its the lack of new cars that is forcing prices up to a ridiculous amount or what it is. A colleague wanted to fly into LHR and hire a car for while he was down south but the cost was so ridiculous that despite it going to cost about £200 and a 1000+ miles round trip, its more cost effective for him to drive south than fly/hire a car.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Yes masks in England disappeared first in the UK, thankfully the other nations weren't as quick in doing that! I was more than happy to keep wearing my mask for another couple of months but happy enough now to be mask free.

Re the hire car prices - not sure if its the lack of new cars that is forcing prices up to a ridiculous amount or what it is. A colleague wanted to fly into LHR and hire a car for while he was down south but the cost was so ridiculous that despite it going to cost about £200 and a 1000+ miles round trip, its more cost effective for him to drive south than fly/hire a car.
The good thing: I stayed negative even as I also went around mask free. Frankly I was skeptical we would do it. Also frankly it was a good feeling, even if I have not really a problem wearing a mask.
Old May 8, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Lanesborough building

The Lanesborough used to be a hospital, which is still commemorated by the lettering on the building.

The entrance clearly looks more like a mansion.

lamphs and whitewave like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Gorgeous TR. thank you!
offerendum likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Gorgeous TR. thank you!
Pleasure
Old May 8, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lanesborough ground floor

When you enter the hotel it is clear that the old building has been totally rebuilt from the inside. It now all looks like an old mansion, immediately caught 2 wonderful flower arrangements (yes, it were 2 different heads with flowers) in the eye. I have rarely seen such impressive flowers in a hotel.

At the last day they changes the flowers to a little more casual arrangement.

There are relaxing areas, but everything is very intimate.

A nice place.
lamphs, lb8001 and whitewave like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I LOVE the Belmond Cadogan in the London. For some reason, it just works for me.

The restaurant used to be run by British Chef Adam Handling but it looks like he didn't renew the contract and the place has changed hands.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
I LOVE the Belmond Cadogan in the London. For some reason, it just works for me.

The restaurant used to be run by British Chef Adam Handling but it looks like he didn't renew the contract and the place has changed hands.
I saw it from outside and still think the location is not that great. From what I saw in the internet the restaurant didn't look very luxury like. But perhaps I will once give it a chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.