She Let Me Get Away With This?: A Semi-RTW Honeymoon via UA, QR, EY and AF J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

She Let Me Get Away With This?: A Semi-RTW Honeymoon via UA, QR, EY and AF J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Exploring Athens

After receiving our Covid test results, we headed out to explore Athens. Our first order of business was lunch, so we headed across from out our hotel to Veneti for lunch. They had a wide variety of pastries, sweets and baked goods on display inside, but we opted for a table outside with table service off of a menu. We split some pastries and a hamburger with fries before making our way through town towards the historic sights.

Our first stop was at Hadrian’s Library, the ruins of which were located right in the middle of the city. While the ruins were interesting, it seemed odd to me that there were 60’s era apartment blocks overlooking the area.

After leaving Hadrian’s Library, we started the long, steep climb up the hill towards the Acropolis, passing by the Amphitheatre along the way.

Once at the top, we explored the area and found ourselves in awe at just how large and old the structures were. We were also treated to some wonderful views out over the surrounding area and even got a free airshow as there were military fighters flying in formation as part of a training exercise.

After leaving the Acropolis, we walked back towards town a different direction. We came across a group of outdoor cafes and stopped for a quick snack. There were even a few kittens hanging out in a nearby tree.

Next up, we stopped on the grounds of the Temple of Hephaestus, which strangely had multiple large turtles wandering around.

From there, we went back to the hotel to relax and freshen up before heading back out for dinner. Having walked through the area earlier, we decided to eat at one of the small restaurants surrounding the Plaza Iroon. Ultimately, we settled on Taverna Orea Penteli where we had a great meal, though it didn’t hold a candle to the fish in Santorini.

A very eclectic street

Oh hello there

After dinner, we weren’t quite ready to call it a night, so we explored the neighborhood a bit and found a fun bar where we grabbed a cocktail. Finally, we capped off the night with some ice cream and were back in the room by 9:30p as we had an early morning pickup scheduled for 3:45a the next morning.

All in all, we enjoyed Athens but didn’t feel like we needed to spend anymore time there and we don’t have any plans to return in the future.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Oct 17, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Goldair Lounge: ATH

After two wonderful weeks abroad, it was time for us to head home. With a 6:15a departure from ATH, our alarms went off at 3:30a and we met our pre-arranged driver in front of the Moxy at 3:45a.

We pulled up to the terminal at 4:25a and headed for the AirFrance/KLM check in desks. There were a few pax in the Sky Priority Lane but, 5 minutes later we had our BPs through to DFW as well as an invitation to the Goldair Lounge, which is the contract lounge used by Air France at ATH.

There was nobody in front of us in the FastTrack line and we navigated our way through the duty-free maze and over to the lounge.

The Goldair Lounge can be accessed via a variety of lounge passes, including Priority Pass and by elite/business class passengers for a few SkyTeam and Star Alliance carriers.

At the door, a friendly lounge dragon took our entry card and welcomed us into the lounge. Given the early hour, there were a fair number of seats available, and we settled into a couple of chairs at the rear of the lounge.

Gold air Lounge ATH

After settling in I went off to explore the lounge. It was a rectangle shape with the majority of the seating as you walked in, followed by the dining area in the back which featured one long communal table along with the buffets. In the rear of the lounge was a restroom area that was very clean, though we were there just as the lounge opened.

The food options in the lounge consisted of an assortment of prepackaged pastries, a few fresh made pies, vegetable omelettes and oddly, a pumpkin soup. There were also a variety of jellies, jams and yoghurts to accompany the pastries as well as cereals.

Though it was only 5:00a, there was a full, self-service bar available including liquors, wines and beers along with canned soft drinks and coffee.

Given the early hour and the long day of flying we had ahead of us, I opted for a simple bowl of cereal, coffee and a bottle of water since I knew the good stuff was waiting for us on board.

While I can't speak to the lounge at peak times, I was just happy to have a space to sit, relax and have a bite as most of the shops and restaurants in the terminal hadn’t opened yet.
offerendum and nequine like this.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Oct 26, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Did you ever make it back from ATH?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarNut
Did you ever make it back from ATH?
We did, about 5 months ago.

Between the move, traveling, and new job I am way behind on my TR writing
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

ATH-CDG via Air France EuroBusiness

From the Goldair Lounge we headed out to gate B7 for our Air France flight to Paris.

Air France
AF 1033
ATH-CDG (Athens Intercontinental – Paris Charles de Gaulle International)

Seat: 3D (Business)
A320-200 (F-HEPE)
Scheduled: 6:15a-8:50a
Actual: 6:11a-8:47a

We boarded and took our seats in row three. While waiting for boarding to finish, the FA working the business class cabin brought around a prepackaged wipe and a bottle of water. We also saw the first glimpse of light out of the window.

This will be fun for 3.5 hours

We pushed off of the gate 4 minutes early and after a quick taxi we were wheels up from Athens.

Departing ATH

While the crew prepared breakfast they made use of the galley curtain and also enforced the rule that the front lavatory was for J passengers.

Breakfast was served on a single tray and consisted of some pineapple that was at the “use by” date, some sort of terrible pancake and cheese looking sandwich that I took one bite of, and a croissant served with butter and jelly which was decent.

Because of the early hour, and no IFE, I passed the time taking in the views from the window and soon we were on our approach into Paris.

Approaching CDG

Once on the ground, we had a long taxi over to Terminal 2F. We followed the transfer signs through the maze that is CDG to Terminal 2K to catch our final flight home to Dallas.

CDG transit maze

offerendum and nequine like this.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Nov 15, 2022 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

CDG-DFW via Air France Business

Time to bring this trip report in for a landing.

By the time we finished navigating the connection maze at CDG, it was 9:00a. With our flight scheduled to depart at 10:10a, we headed straight to the gate for boarding. Our flight to Dallas was departing out of gate K52, which was one of the dreaded bus gates at CDG.

Upon arrival at the gate, there was a ton of confusion around some form that had to be filled out in order to board the flight, even though we were issued boarding passes all the way through to DFW in ATH. I can’t remember what they were at this point, we just filled them out with some generic information and dropped it in a basket. I’m pretty sure I could have listed my name as Mickey Mouse, and nobody would have said anything. Boarding began at 9:15a starting with Business Class and Sky Priority customers though in reality that just meant we got to stand and wait on the bus instead of in the terminal.

SFO777 is that you?

Air France
AF 146
CDG-DFW (Paris Charles de Gaulle International – Dallas/Ft. Worth International)

Seat: 2D (Business)
B777-200 (F-GSPY)
Scheduled: 10:10a-1:35p
Actual: 10:30a-1:46p

We took the scenic route out to our plane which was literally at the furthest away hard stand from our gate, completely on the opposite side of the airport, arriving at our B777-200 at 9:40a. Our plane, named “Vincennes” was delivered back in 2002 and was definitely showing its age onboard.

F-GSPY

We boarded through door 2L and made a left into the business class cabin. Mrs. WS93 took one look at it and said, “Why aren’t we on Qatar” and I feared that I had created a monster.

Waiting at our seat was a pillow, small blanket and a coat hanger. Headphones were hanging in one of the storage cubbies at the seat. One look around and this 20 year old plane was showing its age, with some scuffs and discoloration evident. Though overall it was still clean.

During boarding, the FAs came around with a travel kit, which consisted of a toothbrush, toothpaste, pen, eyeshade and some lotions from Clarins. They also distributed a sanitizing wipe and offered a choice of water, juice or champagne. We both chose the champagne as the honeymoon wasn’t over yet!

While we waited for the remaining busses to make the trip out to our aircraft, menus and a hot towel were distributed. The menu read as follows:

Boarding was completed 20 minutes late and, since we were basically parked on the runway, we were airborne a few minutes later. On the climb out, the FAs came around with another round of beverages accompanied by some cheese crackers.

About 40 minutes later, or just over an hour after departure, lunch was served. I started with the shrimp tartare

Followed by the veal shank with mushrooms and pea risotto while Mrs. WS93 had the duck lasagna

Followed by a cheese plate.

After the meal was cleared, the FAs came by with a little gift for us as they heard it was the last leg of our honeymoon.

AF Honeymoon Gift

From there, Mrs. WS93 reclined her seat and slept, and I passed the time watching movies on the IFE accompanied by some crackers and champagne.

Prior to landing, a second meal service was performed, which was more like a snack. I had the cod which, presentation wise looked more like mashed potatoes, though it was good, accompanied by a coffee.

Pre-arrival meal

Pre-arrival coffee

We landed back in Dallas just before 2:00p local time and taxied over to gate D15. From there we made the trek over to immigration and got one final look at our 777 as well as some other heavies getting ready for the afternoon international departure bank.

Immigration was quick and our bags were waiting for us on the belt.

We arrived home before 3:00p where a very happy Gumbo was waiting for us as mom and dad had been gone for almost two weeks.

Happy pup

While Air France J isn’t on the same level as Qatar or even Etihad, it was a comfortable way to cross the Atlantic and the crew was very attentive. We’re booked on the AF 77W JFK-CDG with the new business class this June and I’m looking forward to seeing the updated product.

Thanks so much for following along on this trip with us!

Last edited by wakesetter93; Nov 29, 2022 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for sharing your special day/honeymoon with us
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for sharing your special day/honeymoon with us
Thanks for coming along for the ride nequine!
nequine likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
As always, great trip report. While some may wish for trip reports to be finished up as soon as possible, I think I actually enjoyed reading this over the past several months as it gave me something to look forward to.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
As always, great trip report. While some may wish for trip reports to be finished up as soon as possible, I think I actually enjoyed reading this over the past several months as it gave me something to look forward to.
Thanks FlyFreakquently! I usually like to get them done faster, but life has been crazy the last few months
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Ah! You finally completed the TR. I was looking at the Pic of the Gold Air lounge and I realized that I was seating right where your wife was sitting and took the Pic from the same place. What a coincidence ! We also flew AF but on the way to ATH. They also gave us a little gift for our honeymoon 😁

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Ah! You finally completed the TR. I was looking at the Pic of the Gold Air lounge and I realized that I was seating right where your wife was sitting and took the Pic from the same place. What a coincidence ! We also flew AF but on the way to ATH. They also gave us a little gift for our honeymoon 😁
​​​​​​​​​​​
Glad to hear you had a great experience with them as well!

We get to try their new business class on JFK-CDG in June on the 77W and I'll finally get to fly KLM and get my delft houses when we head to Germany in August!
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Glad to hear you had a great experience with them as well! We get to try their new business class on JFK-CDG in June on the 77W and I'll finally get to fly KLM and get my delft houses when we head to Germany in August!
Lol, my husband also loves the Delft houses. Safe travels
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Lol, my husband also loves the Delft houses. Safe travels
Thanks! It'll be our first time on KL so I'm excited to get the collection started

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.