Search

American Eagle (Envoy) EVV - ORD Flying During the Pandemic July 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist
American Eagle (Envoy) EVV - ORD Flying During the Pandemic July 2020

Authors Note:

I’m launching a travel focused channel known as (nerdkatravel translated as “nerdoftravel” with regular posts /stories on Instagram and videos on YouTube). My mission is to help make travel easier for others through the sharing of tips and tricks, what to do in certain situations, and reviews. Currently I earn no revenue from any posts or videos. When I do, I will always provide free content to help further the mission and support good causes. Moderators, please let me know if I need to adjust anything to complies with site rules. I believe the content I have provided complies. Thanks for your support!

Background

Back in July 2020 things were starting to look back to a semi normal routine. After months of lockdown, my family and I decided we would go to Chicago. Naturally, because I love airplanes I decided to fly and see how things were going. The alternative was to drive 5 – 6 hours.

For a video version

Flightpath courtesy of flightradar24

EVV airport from above

Flight info

Airline: American Eagle operated by Envoy

Flight No: 3481

Seat Number: 14A

Route: EVV to ORD

Plane: ERJ 145

Duration: 1 hour 8 mins

Booking:

I booked this flight paying cash. It was booked relatively late, so I didn’t score any of the pandemic deals.

Transport to airport:

I live near to Evansville Regional airport, so I took my personal car to the airport. Airport parking is cheap at $8 per day.

An Uber or Lyft will suffice getting to Evansville Regional airport. Some area hotels also offer free shuttle service.

Day of Travel

I checked in online using AA’s app. I do wish they would provide boarding times on their mobile boarding pass. So, I went directly to security and that was a breeze at such a small airport even without TSA precheck.

Before Boarding:

The gate agent informed all passengers to get snacks and drinks at the terminal before departure as there would be no inflight service due to the pandemic.

Flight:

The flight seemed to have a 50% load. I found that surprising considering this was the height of the pandemic. The flight left and arrived on time at an empty ORD. Flights bound to ORD from Evansville often fly over Indianapolis then turn towards Chicago. They do that due to arrival patterns at Chicago ORD.

Seat

The seat was comfortable American Eagle ERJ-145 planes are arranged in a 1 – 2 configurations. I was lucky enough to score a throne seat. The seat was a little tight but good value for a short regional hop to Chicago. Unfortunately, the ground crew didn’t do a good job of cleaning as I did spot a few stains here and there. May not be apparent in the photo

Service:

Due to the pandemic, there was no service. However, generally on this route there would be a snack and drink. United Airlines though on the same route doesn’t provide anything except for water. United Airlines terminated this route on January 4, 2022, due to crew shortages. The flight attendant was average.

Arrival

Soon enough we made our way to Chicago. We flew in from the south and one of the first signs of Chicago was Midway airport.

Touch down at Chicago (ORD)

Arrived at the gate to an empty plane wise Chicago ORD

Wow that’s an empty flight board. Compared to how it normally looks. I’m glad we have made more progress since then and are on our way to normalcy.

The plane that brought me from Evansville. When my flight pulled it was the only plane on that particular side of the concourse.

Empty United Area. United had no planes when I was around on that particular day, however, the day I flew back it looked normal on the United side.

Conclusion & Rating:

I felt safe flying back in July 2020 on American Eagle. Masks were required as they are now and distancing could have improved. Cleaning then and now could be improved. I used my own wipes to wipe down my seat.

Thanks for reading or watching! I will be posting more trip reports in the future.

Next report will be over a flight I took in flagship business on American aboard the 787 traveling to Honolulu, Hawaii.

Echika likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:14 pm

Great report and photos to the Wind City, its weird to see gate areas pretty empty.
Nerdkatravel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Nice report! The only thing that has changed since your flight is that planes and airports are full but airlines still cut service due to "covid"
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Echika
Great report and photos to the Wind City, its weird to see gate areas pretty empty.
Thanks! Yes I agree it’s pretty weird.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Nice report! The only thing that has changed since your flight is that planes and airports are full but airlines still cut service due to "covid"
Thanks! COVID has become the airlines number two favorite excuse after weather for when things aren’t as they need to be.
Have a nice day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.