Search

Weekend Trip to Paris from Downunder QF J & CX J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Weekend Trip to Paris from Downunder QF J & CX J

Hi all

I've been lurking for a long time and reading everyone's trip reports so I thought it would be about time to finally post my first TR. Go easy on me!

*Background*
I currently work as a Geologist in Queensland Australia, usually doing FIFO out of Sydney. Due to QLD's draconian border measures with the rest of Australia I had been locked out of the state since September. Whilst I have no problems draining the Annual Leave balance, sitting at home in Sydney was driving me a bit crazy, especially with the partner returning back to the office post Covid lockdowns. The NSW premier had just announced Quarantine free travel overseas and I instantly got the travel bug. I hadn't seen my brother in a couple of years due to Australia being shut, so I started working out an itinerary to France. I needed to be back at work in QLD on the 9th of December so I had to juggle home quarantine requirements in QLD which didn't leave me much time to get over to Paris and back again.

Like seriously how did I ever travel without ExpertFlyer! Planning this trip was so much easier with the tool. With the limited airlines flying into SYD airport the J fares were incredibly expensive, over 10K AUD to Europe for the period I was looking at. There was an emirates J classic award seat available back from CDG to SYD, but the B777 with its outdated business class and the possibility of a middle seat in business I declined. Still with an abundance of Qantas points to burn, and looking at the flight availability tool on ExpertFlyer, Business on QF01 was looking incredibly empty. I took a chance with the upgrade gods and booked a return flex economy fare SYD-DRW-LHR-CDG. The London to Paris leg would be on BA and gave me a chance to check out the T5 First Class Lounge at LHR. On the way back the flights were looking full but with premium economy and business still having a few seats left I put to the test to see if my Qantas Platinum Status (OneWorld Emerald) would land me the upgrade on the return flight.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

This post got stuck awaiting approval for many months. That's not fair to our new contributor, so I'm bumping the post for all to see.

A very belated welcome to FlyerTalk, @Theflyinggeo.
mitellic, Glensea and offerendum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.