Search

Post-Pandemic Travel Diaries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Post-Pandemic Travel Diaries

https://tuttisoturi.wordpress.com/20...l-diaries-1-3/

For a long time I got to pack my suitcase and also had to look for a passport. i barely remember the last time I crossed the borders of the country. My packaging strategy was a little rusty, but yes it started to run smoothly finally.

Before goint to the airport I had to visit the Helsinki city center to do some things (barber etc.). Ashen all things fad been taken care of, I took a taxi to the airport (approx. 30 min). The passengers drop/off point is T1, from where everyone has to walk to T2. By the way, the new entrance hall at the Helsinki airport opens 1st of December 2021.

The airport is startin to look pretty normal and in some places it was really congested. One reason for this is, because they check all passengers for a COVID certificate. Finnair Business lounge was very crowded in afternoon. All in all, it was nice to see, that the tourism industry is starting to recover.

The flight itself was quite crowded too, but it went well because we had business class tickets in both directions. Finnair had slightly lightened the service. The main course was only vegetarian and started was seafood option, which was actually very tasty! Finnair Business lounge offerings were also slightly decreased and there was only vegetarian hot food and creamy salmon soup, which was tasty too. The wine selection and quality were, in my view, at the same level as before.

Best regards,
Extra Mile

https://youtube.com/channel/UCX8turg...confirmation=1
zxcv1, sl1ppy and lamphs like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Thank you for the trip report. Nice to see signs of 'normal' travel times such as reports like this.
Extra Mile likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zxcv1
Thank you for the trip report. Nice to see signs of 'normal' travel times such as reports like this.
Thank you for your response!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Post-Pandemic Travel Diaries 2/3

https://tuttisoturi.wordpress.com/20...l-diaries-2-3/

We arrived to Porto quite late in the evening and the only goal for the evening (after checked-in at the hotel) was to find good place to try Francesinha. It’s traditional Portuguese bread from Porto, not French woman. Francesinha was actually very tasty and I highly recommend it! But, after that was time to go to sleep.

Next morning was time to take train from Porto’s famous train station, Sao Bento to Douro Valley. Have to say that’s one of the most spectacular train journeys in the Europe! The first hour isn’t amazing, but after that the views are breathtaking like you can see below!

Train tickets cost approximately 20 euros in total in both directions from Porto to Douro Valley and did I already mentioned those views? Our train journey took approxmiately 2h 30 min from Porto to reach our destination, Pinhao small city in the Douro Valley.

When we finally arrived to the destination, we took a quick lunch downtown. After lunch we headed to the wine tasting and the vacation started properly. The main event of the day was a table reservation at the Casa dos Ecos restaurant. Michelin starred chef runs a pop-up restaurant in Pinhao. And the food, so delicious!

Best regards,
Extra Mile
clkc86 and mpkz like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:21 am
Original Poster

The last part of this trip report!

Post-Pandemic Travel Diaries 3/3

Everuthing ends at some point, so does this vacation too. We spent a couple of nice days in the Douro Valley, actually in Pinhao. Small village in the Douro Valley, approximately 450 people lives there. However, it’s famous for its world-class port wines. We actually took a couple of wine tours and tastings.

We visited the following vineyards: Quinta do Bomfim, Quinta De La Rosa and Quinta da Foz. Each vineyards was within a walking distance from the village. I must say that to our surprise white and rose wines were the best value for money wines. Expectations were high for red and port wines, but the lighter wines surprised us.

Last but not least, have to say that expectations for the landscapes were high, but when you really saw them there + breathtaking! One of the most amazing landscapes in the Europe and that charm of small village, wow!

Finally it was time to take train back to Porto, the largest city closest to the Douro Valley. The train ride took 2h 30 min and it went fast while watching stunning scenery. We didn’t have much time left for Porto, so was contentment for landscapes that was offered by Luis Bridge and it’s surroundings. However, there was enough time to take one glass of port wine in the Graham’s Port Wine Cellars. After that we used the elevator to Gaia and went to dinner.

The next morning was an early wake up and quick breakfast before we took a taxi to the airport. Taxi ride took approximately 30 min from city center to the airport. Using priority check-in and fast track for security, went about 10 min from airport entrance to the gate. It’s not worth going to the airport too early, especially when there was no lounge available at Porto airport.

We took one beer while waiting when boarding would begin. We knew from outbound flight that the service would be good on the plane. After takeoff, was time to eat some lunch with champagne – or a couple…

4h 30 min flight went fast when the crew is nice and the service works. Finnair crew is usually good and so it was this time too!

Best Regards,
Extra Mile

lamphs and roadwarrier like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

We took flights to Stockholm and back. One of our main purposes was to try a wide-body aircraft A350XWB on the Helsinki – Stockholm route. Of course it was better than the typical ATR. The ride was smoother and quieter, lie-flat seats quarantined comfort level.

The crew was nice as always. However, the level of service wasn’t Finnair quality. Only sandwich and bottle of water was available. No coffee or other refreshments. The crew of course apologized. Otherwise, the flight was quite comfort experience.

After landing we headed to the Old Town, or Gamla Stan as they say in Sweden. The problem was that, really no place was open on Saturday before 11 am. The only option was to stop at the Cafe for coffee and cinnamon roll.

At twelve o’clock we had booked a brunch at the Hotel Strand. The brunch was very high quality, maybe not quite worth 37 euros though. Overall good experience. After brunch it was time to head back to the Arlanda airport. That weekend we had to use the airport bus, because there was maintenance work on the train tracks. The airport bus took approximately 45 min versus 20 min. The ticket cost approximately 25 euros round-trip.

There was a Norrsken lounge open at Arlanda airport, nothing to wrire home. Beer, wine and soft drinks on tap. Some salads and tapas-style snack available and coffee machine. Not very big lounge. Furnitures cheap and not comfortable. Finnair Business lounge at Helsinki airport is at completely different level. This time sparkling wine was one of my all time favourites, Bernard-Massard Organic Cremant.

Inbound with E190 was a basic flight, nothing to mention. A beautiful sunset!

Best regards,
Teemu Rytkönen
mpkz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.