Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Belated Honeymoon to the Conrad Maldives (LX J, WK J, QR J, AA J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belated Honeymoon to the Conrad Maldives (LX J, WK J, QR J, AA J)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by BThumme
Awesome! Do you have a resort planned at already? My wife and I are already starting to talk about going back. While I highly recommend the Conrad here, we're looking to see what else is out there, perhaps the Park Hyatt.
Not yet, getting the flights nailed down is my priority ATM, however we'll probably stay at a Marriott property and redeem a combo of Points+Cash
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
What's up with the teddy bears? Do you always travel with these things? Just curious.
Yeah, pretty much. When my Wife and I first started dating we were long-distance. The second year or so together we got a build a bear for each other to use in place of ourselves to help with the distance. Since I moved back they still travel with us or when one of us goes somewhere else. Plus it makes for some good stories and the flight attendants usually get a kick out of it.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Great TR - thanks
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
What a great trip the four(!) of you had, loved the report.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:39 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
$70 for a burger and pizza, god thats overpriced!

For the Manager's reception, did the manager congratulate you on your wedding?
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GodAtum
$70 for a burger and pizza, god thats overpriced!
That's Maldives for you - when we went we also stayed at the Conrad. During our four nights stay (on points) we spent enough on F&B to recover one night worth of points on Hilton's most expensive category
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Awesome TR and thanks for sharing. Im looking forward to my Maldives trip end of October.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Very nice and through trip report cheers!

We ourselves just returned back from our third trip to the Maldives less than a month ago this time at the Waldorf (our first and second were at the Conrad back in 2013 honeymoon on a 4 night AXON for 36,250 points per night and 2016 on a 4 night devalued AXON 75,000 points per night plus 2 Amex weekend night certs).

Having now been at the Waldorf versus Conrad and reading your observations, here are some interesting points to note-
  • The PCR tests at Waldorf is $70 per person with no extra taxes or service charge. I wonder if Conrad's $150 per person cost is due to the further location requiring a seaplane to get the lab results
  • Baggage weight constraints are not an issue with the Waldorf speedboat. We did miss elements of the Conrad seaplane lounge but would take the luxury speedboat transfer above the seaplane's noise levels and cabin heat any day of the wee
  • At the Waldorf restaurants you can choose the $5++ house water (same as complimentary ones in the villas). I remember getting stiffed by Conrad for the Voss still water- wonder if house water is also an option at the Conrad.
  • We met many Waldorf employees that used to work at Conrad Rangali. Apparently, many Conrad staff in the past have moved onto either the Waldorf or other properties in the Maldives. Many of the staff that moved aren't impressed with the level of investment ploughed back into refurbishing the Conrad (apparently the Conrad built one of the earliest water villas in the Maldives back in the day)
  • With the level of service, attention to detail, and best of all the ability to order off-menu custom dishes no cost at the (free if elite) breakout at the Waldorf (not to mention the kids club), I don't think I would ever return to the Conrad with the Waldorf around! This isn't to say that the Conrad isn't great. If one hasn't been to Conrad Rangali it definitely is a great experience. But the Waldorf is a great reason to return back to the Maldives!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:50 am

Silly question, but how do you prove the Stay is for your Honeymoon? Is there a time limit? My wife and I got married last year and will be visiting here for our belated Honeymoon. Do they require you to bring a notarized copy of your marriage certificate?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoonseiki
Silly question, but how do you prove the Stay is for your Honeymoon? Is there a time limit? My wife and I got married last year and will be visiting here for our belated Honeymoon. Do they require you to bring a notarized copy of your marriage certificate?
I had to email them a copy of our wedding certificate.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:08 am

Thank you for a terrific trip report. I hope you and your wife have many more happy trips together.

I grew up in the Detroit area (I'm an alum of Seaholm High School), so I really liked your photo of the Red Wings flag in Zurich.

I've had to make international to domestic connections at both ORD and DTW, and I feel there's no comparison between the short walks between flights at DTW, versus the long trek between T5 and the domestic terminals at ORD. It still amazes me why anyone would choose changing planes in ORD, when DTW is so much better.
BThumme likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
I had to email them a copy of our wedding certificate.
Thanks! I assume just a .pdf or .jpeg?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoonseiki
Thanks! I assume just a .pdf or .jpeg?
Yeah, I think I scanned it to a .pdf but I doubt they will really care.

It is supposed to be valid for up to one year after the wedding date, but I was able to get an extension since our original 1 year date the resort had to close. But I had to plead with them a great deal for that extension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.