Chicago-Alaska-Seattle-San Diego-Hawaii for Under $200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP, United Silver, Hilton Silver,

Content originally posted on my blog, ykaviation.net
Welcome to part one of my Alaska, California, and Hawaii (ACH) adventure for under $200.

I flew the following legs over between May 18th, 2021 - and August 22, 2021.
  • I started my trip flying from Chicago to Fairbanks, AK via DFW.
  • In Alaska I went to Denali National Park, Anchorage, Seward (whale cruise) and Juneau for two days.
  • Next, I flew down to Seattle and spent at week at the Green Tortoise Hostel in Pike Place and went to Mount Rainier and Olympic National Parks.
  • On June 1st, I flew to San Diego in first class and moved to Pacific Beach, San Diego, four blocks from the ocean for 10 weeks to intern for Verizon.
  • Less than two weeks after moving to San Diego I flew to Phoenix to attend a funeral. I flew back via Salt Lake City because it was cheap using Delta miles.
  • On August 11th, I experienced the most bittersweet day of my life. I said good by to my new friends, my apartment, and my internship and departed for Honolulu.
  • After three days at the Beach Waikiki Hostel in Honolulu I flew to Maui to stay at my best hostel yet, the Banana Bungalow in Wailuku. In Maui I went to Hana, where Haleakalā National Park is.
  • On August 18th, I said good bye to summer and flew back to Chicago via Seattle and via an unexpected diversion in Milwaukee.
  • I said hello to my parents, managed to lose a pair of Calvin Klein pants, and flew to Kansas to start my last semester of college, where I am currently sitting here writing this. I hope to finish this trip report before I graduate
I say this not to brag. But to show other 21 year olds like myself, you can totally afford to travel if you play your cards right. When COVID happened, instead of paying rent to go to school online I moved home and started working in warehouses overnight while doing school online. By using a combination of good flight deals (ie Southwest to Hawaii for under $150, and airline mileage programs) I financed this trip myself.

My first trip report on FlyerTalk was my 18th birthday, my first self financed trip, from Chicago to Seattle on Spirit. Three years later this is the culmination of my new knowledge. I'd like to show others staying in hostels, flying Spirit and Southwest, and using airline mileage programs you can have the time of your life (on a budget!).

The first leg on my massive summer trip was from Chicago to Fairbanks, AK since I wanted to visit Denali National Park and Fairbanks is the nearest airport. A mere three and a half hours a way.

Let’s set the stage to February 2021 when I was booking the trip.

I had multiple options when I was booking. I had 65,000 AAdvantage Miles which I could use on American Airlines or Alaska now that Alaska is a OneWorld transfer partner. I also had around $150 of AA flight credit in both mine and my dad’s name which we could use from a canceled trip to San Diego. It’s important to know that flight credit is only usable in the name it is issued in. So for example I could not use my brother’s flight credit for a flight for me. This is a an important difference between flight credit and miles.

I must add, everything I booked for this trip including flights, rental cars, and all hotels (except one) were refundable in case I had to cancel my trip.

I ended up deciding to use the flight credit because I wanted to use the AA miles to book the Alaska Milk Run, an Alaska Airlines flight that has ran for decades connecting cities in Southeast Alaska to Anchorage and Seattle providing passenger service and cargo since most cities served on the milk run are not connected by road to the rest of the state.
Anyway, for the Chicago to Fairbanks flight I paid $1.60 to cover the difference between the credit I had and the cost of the flight.

At this time in February, I was also smart to book a rental car, as later, it would prove impossible to reserve a rental car in Alaska. I guess it’s pretty easy to social distance in a state larger than California, Texas, and Montana combined. Fun fact, Denali National Park, I would later visit is larger than the state of Massachusetts.

Photo from Bell’s Travel Guides.

Since I would be traveling in the Alaska interior from Fairbanks - Denali National Park - Anchorage - Seward. I would need a rental car for a week. I paid $728.25 for the week. Remember, this is not included in the calculation for flights. $200 of the $728 was a fee for dropping the car in a different place we were picking it up from.

I use the website AutoSlash for rental cars as I found it the cheapest place to rent cars from. The site first asks you if you have any memberships like AAA, Costco, and airline mileage programs to find you the best deal. AutoSlash is so good it will even track an existing car rental reservation and email you if it finds a better deal.

For hotels I like to use the blind booking features from Priceline as this allows me to get rates under what’s published. Since I’d just be staying in Fairbanks for a night it didn’t matter to me much as long as it was clean. I paid $106.97 for one night.

Now that all the logistics are taken care of, the day finally came May 18th 2021. I had a large backpack, a full size carry on and a checked bag since I would be going directly to San Diego after my Alaska trip and not going home in between.

I saved $30 checking my bag since I had an American Airlines credit card.

The flight from Chicago to Dallas was relatively uneventful except that it was delAAyed. Luckily, my Dallas to Fairbanks flight was even more delayed so I did not miss my connection.

God must bless Texas more than Illinois because I have never seen a God Bless Illinois shirt at O’Hare or Midway.

My dad and I ended up leaving Dallas more than 3 hours late.

I paid $8 for the American ViaSat WiFi which I think was a great deal considering the flight was over 6 hours long. The WiFi worked great and is among the best in the industry. ViaSat WiFi uses satellite technology which is faster than the legacy air to ground technology. It was fast enough for me to watch YouTube videos in 720p.

While scrolling through Instagram I saw this photo by Alaska FO Bill, AKA alaska737 on Instagram. May 18th was the first shipment of fish from Cordova ,AK (CDV) to Seattle and Alaska Airlines rolled out the red carpet treatment to celebrate the start of the season. I would end up passing through Cordova less than week later.

After almost six and a half hours I finally saw Fairbanks. The Chena River is seen below.

Upon arrival you will see some very old airplanes such as a DC-6 from the 1940’s which based on the airline’s website is still flown today.

By the time I arrived at the gate it was almost 10PM. But in May in Fairbanks it is still light out.

It took an hour to collect my bags, check into the rental car, and get some food. Still light out.

Fairbanks is home to the northernmost Denny’s and Starbucks in the world.

Upon checking into my hotel I was greeted by bear taxidermy.

Thanks for reading part 1. Total flight cost up to this point is $1.60.

Stay tuned!

Hint part two is already on my website.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by yonikasz; Sep 5, 2021 at 9:26 pm Reason: small fix
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Good start and looking forward to more.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Great so far. Been to Alaska before and loved it, can't wait to go back and the Alaska "milk run" is on the top of my bucket list.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report and Pictures.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP, United Silver, Hilton Silver,
Fairbanks to Denali National Park

Welcome back to my Alaska California Hawaii (ACH) trip! Today we will be going from Fairbanks, AK to Denali National Park.

It was interesting to never see the sun set even in the middle of the night.

After some great sleep at the LaQuinta Fairbanks Airport it was time to go to Walmart and get some supplies before my dad and I headed down to Denali.

It was a scenic two hour drive from Fairbanks to Denali.

After about an hour of driving the mountain came in our sights.

At Denali National Park I decided to stay at the Denali Bluffs Hotel due to good ratings, location (less than 2 miles from the park entrance), and price.

When booking hotels, I usually book using Priceline or another 3rd party booking tool. In this case I used Hotels.com since I got an extra 10% off through a private sale.

I booked this February 27, 2021 almost three months before I checked in. I think I got a pretty good deal, essentially paying $150/night as rooms at this three star hotel would normally go for over $200/night.

The hotel sits on a cliff near the park. The arrow shows where my room was. An excellent view of the park. Photo from Hotels.com.

Great view from our room.Be careful when booking trips to Alaska as many hotels and attractions are seasonal, including this one.

After checking in, my dad and I decided to explore the park. Technically opening day of the park was May 20th, so we got there a day early. This was great timing since once the park opens, private vehicles are not allowed on the park road past mile marker 15. However, before the park opens, private vehicles are allowed on to drive the whole road.

Photo from National Park Service. In spite of our rental car agreement, which prohibited driving on the Denali Park Road, we drove to mile 15, and turned around.

Had to get a pic in front of the National Park Sign!

After the brief roadtrip I went back to the hotel, to grab my bag, and get ready to go hiking.

I loved the view from my room!

View from the hike!My dad and I finished the hike around 8pm and went to the Black Diamond Grill in Healy, AK about 15 miles north of the park, which I highly recommend.

At 10:30PM I tried to go to sleep, but it’s hard in Alaska because during the summer the sun barely sets. Luckily, most hotels in Alaska have blackout blinds for this reason. The experience is not unlike staying at a hotel in Times Square or the Vegas Strip where blackout blinds are required.

The next morning we woke up early at 9AM to catch the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

The Tundra Wildreness Tour (TWT) runs 63 miles approx 2/3rds down the park road and turns around at that point.

As you can see, I paid $281.50 for two adult tickets which comes out to $140.75 per person. Less than the $192.30 list price.

The bus picked us up right at the hotel and included a small lunch. I’d recommend bringing your own lunch too since it is not a lot of food for an 8 hour trip.

The trip was great and I got to see a lot of wildlife including a bear and a mountain goat.

If you look closely you can see the bear in the top right.

The bus driver had digital binoculars so he could point out animals from a distance and show us using the screens on the bus.

Mountain Goats!

Throughout the trip we stopped for restrooms and stretch breaks around once every hour and a half.

We went as far as the Eielson Visitor Center where there was a small gift shop and bathrooms.

Statistics of climbers currently on Denali.

The eight hour trip was great. It was long and some took the opportunity to sleep on the three hour drive back.

Our driver Steve was a 30 year veteran and funny enough was originally from Naperville a suburb of Chicago just like me. He knew a ton about the park and was an amazing guide.

After I finished the tour, I went back to the hotel and took a nap. At 7pm I hiked the Mount Healy Overlook Trail .

I got back at 9:30PM had dinner and went to bed.

Stay tuned for part 3 on my last day at Denali and driving to Anchorage and Seward!

Thanks for coming along.

To find the most updated posts with additional commentary and pictures, check out my blog, ykaviation.net
lamphs, offerendum and cedric like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the Trip Report and Pictures.
You are most welcome! Sorry it's been so long since I posted, I hope you are still around and can enjoy reading the rest of the trip!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
Good start and looking forward to more.
Thank you so much and I hope you are still around to read the rest of the trip! I go to Honolulu and Maui at the end of the trip, so I hope you enjoy!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Stunning!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Stunning!
Thanks so much, I hope you enjoy reading the rest of the trip!
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by yonikasz; Aug 16, 2022 at 3:59 pm Reason: Forgot to quote
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Denali to Anchorage and Seward

Thanks to everyone for following along. Here's the next part.

Hello and Welcome Back! Today we will be traveling from Denali National Park to Anchorage and Seward.

Before we left, we stopped back at Denali National Park to get my passport stamped, and see the dog kennels. Since the park road is not plowed during the winter and motorized vehicles are prohibited, the only way for the National Park Service to get around the park is by dog team.

The trip from the hotel in Denali to Anchorage would take 4 hours and 239 miles.

The drive was mostly uneventful except for seeing some wildlife in typical Alaskan fashion.

We made two stops, the first of which was at Denali View South, which on a clear day would have provided a view of Mount Denali.

Our next stop would be for gas in Houston, AK, just northwest of Wasilla.

Soon we got into Anchorage. It became more and more green.

To be frank, the hotel we stayed in Anchorage was kind of crappy. It smelled like ciggeretts’. but the room was big, and the price was right. I had an idea going in it wouldn’t be the nicest hotel since reviews weren’t great.

I used Snaptravel to book the Aptel Studio Hotel in Anchorage which works through Facebook Messenger. The first time I used it I was a bit sketched out, but the hotel had my reservation when I got there so I couldn’t complain.

After my dad and I got to the hotel, we went to Costco and got some pizza. We took a nap, met up with some folks, and went to bed to leave for Seward early the next morning.

11:30PM in Anchorage. Pretty much the darkest I ever saw it.

The next morning we got up early to go to Seward for our Whale Cruise at 10AM. I booked the cruise and hotel combo, because it was cheaper than booking separately. Normally I think bundle deals are a waste of money, because I can normally book them cheaper separately, but in this case I found it to be a better value!

The package included an 8.5 hour sightseeing/whale watching tour of Kenai Fjords National Park, plus a stop at Fox Island for dinner, and one night at the Windsong Lodge all booked through the Alaska Collection.

I paid about $500 for an 8.5 hour whale cruise plus dinner and a hotel room for two, which I thought wasn’t too bad of a deal.

The drive to Seward took about took about two and a half hours and was likely the most scenic drive I ever did in my life. The Alaska Railroad also goes from Anchorage to Seward via the Coastal Express, but I opted to drive since the schedule works better for me.

Once we got to Seward, we stopped at a grocery store, and explored the small city before the cruise left.

Seward was the original start of the Iditarod.

For more pictures and the original trip report, see my website, https://www.ykaviation.net/blog/dena...age-and-seward

After exploring the city for a bit, I got on the cruise, which was great! On the cruise, not only did we see glaciers but also whales too.

After six hours we stopped at Fox Island for dinner.

After my dad and I got back, we checked into the hotel to catch up on some much needed sleep, and got ready to return the rental car and fly to Juneau the next day.

Thanks for following along and stay tuned!
cedric, lamphs, offerendum and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Alaska Airlines Milkrun to Juneau

Hello! Welcome back to my trip report! I was in Park City, UT and San Diego the last two weeks, so I apologize for the delay.

Today, my dad and I drove from Seward to back Anchorage to catch a flight on the Alaska Airlines Milk run to Juneau! It’s called the Milk Run since Flight 66 makes multiple stops to deliver people and supplies, like milk, to communities in Southeast Alaska.

The flight starts in Anchorage and makes stops in Seward, Yakutat, and Juneau, before ending in Seattle.

Since Alaska is now part of the Oneworld Alliance with American, I could book Alaska Airlines tickets using AAdvantage miles. Because I was having trouble booking the ticket online, I called American Airlines reservations who booked the ticket for me and my dad over the phone.

For those keeping track at home the running total I spent on flights this trip so far is $12.80.
  • ORD-FAI $1.60
  • ANC-JNU $11.20
Oddly enough my dad got an email from American Airlines that his ticket was from Cordova-Juneau and the AA app showed the same even though we booked to go from Anchorage to Juneau. After calling American Airlines reservations they confirmed it was a graphical glitch. Oddly enough my reservation showed correctly even though it was booked with my dad’s miles.

When the day came however, we were advised to use the Alaska Airlines app, and everything showed correctly.

It was a beautiful day for flying in Southeast Alaska! Since the flight wasn’t very full the flight attendants recommended everyone take a window seat to get a view!

Arrival into Cordova airport.

A lot of fish comes from Cordova.

After only 30 minutes on the ground, we continued to Yakatat.

The Yakutat airport is not very fancy. Newark might be nicer.

In November 2020, another Alaska Airlines flight 66 hit a brown bear upon landing in Yakutat. Nobody was hurt but the bear was killed. Read more, here.

Before landing in Juneau, I listened to the Talking Flight podcast on the Alaska Airlines App. The podcast, produced by Alaska Airlines and Captian Mike Swanigan interviews interesting people in aviation. This one was with Retired Alaska Airlines Captain David Crawley, MD. Interestingly enough he got his MD from the University of Kansas Medical Center, an affiliate of The University of Kansas where I am finishing up college.

The approach into Juneau was nothing short of magical.

After getting my bag, which I checked for free since on Alaska Airlines flights within the state of Alaska you can check one bag free, my dad and I picked up our rental car, a Toyota Prius.

We got a steal on the rental car paying less than $60/day with taxes and fees.

Thanks for coming on the Alaska Milk Run with me! Next will be the last Alaska post before we head down together to Seattle for a week and then San Diego!

Here’s a sneak peak of what’s to come in Juneau!

View from our Airbnb.

Stay tuned!
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:10 pm

Wow thanks for sharing and for the pics! Visiting Alaska and Denali National Park is on my list. Looks like you had a blast.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Juneau and Flight to Seattle

Originally posted on my blog, ykaviation.net

Hello, and welcome back everyone! Super big thanks to everyone following my blog, and I apologize for the delay in between posts. Today is December 2nd, and within 3 weeks I will be moving to Seattle to start work with PwC.

Last summer I had a great time on the West Coast, and am happy to be back!!

To recap, in the past blog posts I went over how I booked my trip to Alaska, and my time spent in the interior. Like the title states, this one will be over Juneau, and my following posts will highlight my time in Seattle, San Diego, and Hawaii.

Once I landed in Juneau, my dad and I picked up the rental car, which was super easy since the Juneau Airport is tiny, and the next day, through a connection I was able to get a tour of Alaska Marine Lines in Juneau and learn how freight is transported from Seattle to Juneau. Since Juneau is essentially an island, there are no road connections between the city and the rest of the country, the only way in or out is on a plane or a boat.

I booked an AirBnb because there are limited hotels in Juneau. The host was great, easy to communicate with, and the apartment had a great view.

At 9:30 my dad and I drove to the Alaska Marine Lines terminal and got to watch one of their barges being unloaded.

Touring a port is a great way to learn how the Supply Chain works, however it felt different in Juneau since the majority of goods into the town come off that single ramp. Amazingly only it takes only about 20 employees to keep goods flowing into a town of 23,000.

Alaska Marine Lines (AML) is part of Lynden Transportation, which operates air, ocean, and truckload services from the Lower 48 into Alaska. Because of the remoteness of Juneau, the cost of the additional transportation is reflected in the price of food at the grocery store.

Gasoline, however, is still cheaper in Juneau than California!

After the tour, my dad and I went to get some food. We were recommended to get fish and chips at Sandbar & Grill, which did not disappoint. Disclaimer, although the food was tasty, it was also very greasy.

After some lunch, my dad and I went to check out Mendenhall Glacier, which is a 13.6 mile long glacier about 12 miles from Downtown Juneau.

We also went on a hike too, and in Alaska you have to be careful for bears.

After a packed day, my dad and I went back to our AirBnb and did some laundry since the next day would be our last in Alaska. My dad would be flying home to Chicago and I would be staying in Seattle for a week before heading down to San Diego.

Speaking of flights, I used 15,000 American miles to fly from Juneau to Seattle, and my dad also used 15,000 American miles to fly from Juneau to Chicago. Because American Airlines has flat milage redemptions unlike Delta and United, the price for my dad was the same, even though he’d be traveling considerably further. I got the miles though the American Airlines Platinum Select Card, which at the time had a 60,000 mile signing bonus.

My dad and I paid 15,000 miles each to fly from Anchorage to Juneau, and another 15,000 each to leave Juneau, for a total of 60,000 miles.

The next day, my dad slept in, and I woke up early to go on a hike. I took the Mount Roberts Trail to Father Brown Cross, which is 4.5 miles with 1,800 feet of elevation gain.

I use AllTrails to research most of my hiking. You can also pay for premium which allows you to download offline maps, helpful in areas with limited connection like National Parks.

It was quiet given it was a Tuesday morning. The trail was well marked, however I did hit snow on the top 20%, given it was late May in Alaska that’s expected. The trail actually goes up to where the Goldbelt Tram ends. So there was a nice patio once to sit down once you get up.

If you look closely in the center above the mountains you can an Alaska Airlines plane on final approach into Juneau Airport. Also visible is Alaska Marine Lines operation on the bottom corner, which I saw the day before.

After the hike, my dad and I went to the airport and caught our flight to Seattle. It’s amazing how beautiful Alaska is and I hope to return soon.

The flight down to Seattle from Juneau took about 2.5 hours and by the time I landed at 10PM the sun was almost set.

Thanks for following along. Next post will be on my hostel experience in Seattle and my first class flight down to San Diego!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.