Bella Italia - Pandemic times 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Bella Italia - Pandemic times 2.0

It was time for the first vacation in 2021. While the options are still limited I decided to do Italy again, as itīs quite reachable by car and I like the country. After several different plans we did the following litineray:

1 Night Milan (Principe di Savoia)
7 nights Tuscany (Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco)
4 nights Lake Como (Grand Hotel Tremezzo)
3 nights Milan (Mandarin Oriental)
2 nights Zürich (Baur au Lac)

Of course I also booked some nice restaurants, especially I was happy to get tables at Dal Pescatore and Enrico Bartolini at Mudec. Both were planed for last years trip, but due to Covid it didnīt work out. I also wanted to do Da Vittorio near Bergamo (which I loved in 2019), but it didnīt fit in this year itineray.
TravisMT81 and lamphs like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

CovPass and PLF

Travelling was easier in former times, now itīs getting more complicated. First you need a CovPass, as you need a negative test or a full vaccination to enter Italy (and Switzerland). Also you have to fill out a traveler locator form (PLF) in Italy per traveling person. CovPass was not the problem, we are both fully vaccinated and had it anyway. But the PLF was annoying. First you must register on a website and after it fill out a form. When I did a second onefor my GF I was told I need a second account. So it needs time, but itīs harmless. I entered Italy 2 times and guess how often I had to show PLF or CovPass? Yes, the answer is 0. In Switzerland you mustnīt fill out anything if vaccinated, also no one wanted to see anything. Same when we drove through France and re-entered Germany, there was no one at the border.

So a lot of paper, if the PLF helps anything is another question. In general Italians are very keen about screenig temperature, a thing which is onmly found very rarely these days. I asked at the MO Milan how many people they had with temperature, not surprising the answer was 0. Useless, but letīs do as we could do something and the measuring stations were expensive, so we must use them. Therefore most staff only wears community masks or masks with "nose free"...... Sorry to be sarcastic, but many things regarding Covis are symbiolic acts. Itīs useless to sanitize your hands 50 times a day if you wear your mask under your nose or a mask with minimum protection.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Principe di Savoia

On my way to Tuscany I wanted to da 1 night as I wasnīt to keen to drive 14 hours on one day. As I had an important trial the day before my departure I wasnīt able to travel earlier. I had many options, but in the end they werenīt available (Da Vittorio), were too expensive for arriving late and leaving early (The View Lugano) or they were simply not conveniant located (Chedi Andermatt, Dolder Grand). In the end we booked 1 night at the Principe di Savoia. I was always intersted in this hotel and it had a quite good value. Also the not so great location outside the inner center of Milan was an advantage as we didnīt need to enter Zone C and we were faster on the street to Tuscany.

The location is near the central station in a district with many business buildings. Somewhere I read itīs not a nice neighborhood, which I canīt confirm. While I woudnīt live there and woudnīt call it overly attractive, itīs not unsafe or dirty. From outside the hotel is in my eyes quite nice.

The lobby is not very big with a bar, a lot of marble and (not pictured) flowers. While it is a pretty nice place I wasnīt too impressed. I simply not felt in love with it.

Check-in was fast but instead the expected upgrade to a Junior Suite (promised at time of booking) I was told I get the most beautiful "Executive Room" of the hotel. Such a room is not bookable on the homepage or listed there. But I decided to have a look before I complain.

Funny enough I got a valet-recipt with some options. I donīt drive a big SUV, itīs a BMW limousine.

I ask myself whatīs category 1, 2, 3 or 4? Something like this?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:49 am

The area Centrale-Garibaldi-Repubblica has improved a lot over the years. In the early 2000's it was a wasteland, now it's actually pleasant. Centrale's forecourt is still a bit of a cesspit but I think it's written in the Constitution that every mainline station must have its resident population of cheap-wine drinkers, skaters and hookers. The Principi di Savoia's lobby reminds me of your rich grandma's salon... I wonder if they have rhubarb pastilles in a glass jar somewhere.
offerendum and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
I wonder if they have rhubarb pastilles in a glass jar somewhere.
No, not at the Principe. But at least candies at another hotel during my trip.

Btw: While Park Hyatt is closed (without question a great location) I saw some persons in front of it you normally donīt wanna see in front of your hotel. Itīs a problem in many cities.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:51 am

Looking forward to your food pics!
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Looking forward to your food pics!
You will see many
lamphs likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by 13901
The area Centrale-Garibaldi-Repubblica has improved a lot over the years. In the early 2000's it was a wasteland, now it's actually pleasant. Centrale's forecourt is still a bit of a cesspit but I think it's written in the Constitution that every mainline station must have its resident population of cheap-wine drinkers, skaters and hookers.
That always amazes me in some countries.
offerendum and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Principe di Savoia

I was quite excited for my room and ready for discussions. When we arrived my GF was in love with the bed and liked the room. Also I must be fair, it seemed to be bigger than the Junior Suites you can see on the floor plan.

The entrance was spacious with a walk in closet and while classic it had style.

The room had a good size with seating area and a nice bed. The matress was not my style, GF loved it.

They celebrate the room for the view. Well, I mustnīt understand anything.

The bathroom was also big enough and we liked it. If you wonder about the toilet seat, itīs exactly in the state we found it when we arrived. Classy... Also I have seen nicer toilets.

Nevertheless a nice room, especially for one night.
lamphs and nequine like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to seeing some great meals!
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Looking forward to seeing some great meals!
Perhaps the first meal is coming today
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Principe di Savoia

On the highest floor the hotel has a SPA with pool, fitness center and outdoor terrace. Over all nice for a city hotel.

lamphs, nequine and zip10001 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I remember being very disappointed with the temperature of the jacuzzi. Was it hot, or just lukewarm (if you went in).
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I remember being very disappointed with the temperature of the jacuzzi. Was it hot, or just lukewarm (if you went in).
For me it was fine, but if I remember correctly it wasn't really hot. Perhaps 32 or 33 degree.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by offerendum
It was time for the first vacation in 2021. While the options are still limited I decided to do Italy again, as itīs quite reachable by car and I like the country. After several different plans we did the following litineray:

1 Night Milan (Principe di Savoia)
7 nights Tuscany (Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco)
4 nights Lake Como (Grand Hotel Tremezzo)
3 nights Milan (Mandarin Oriental)
2 nights Zürich (Baur au Lac)

Of course I also booked some nice restaurants, especially I was happy to get tables at Dal Pescatore and Enrico Bartolini at Mudec. Both were planed for last years trip, but due to Covid it didnīt work out. I also wanted to do Da Vittorio near Bergamo (which I loved in 2019), but it didnīt fit in this year itineray.
So happy to have a trip report from you! I stayed at the Principe di Savoia in 2019 and was thoroughly disappointed. The room I got was dated, bed was very average, and just the general polish is not there. I did enjoy my meal at the lobby Bar though. I also agree the gym and the panoramic view of the city is pretty cool. There is a hotel next door called Milan II Duca that I also stayed at - much better value and I actually liked the rooms better.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by DFW_CK; Aug 6, 2021 at 1:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.