Wiki Posts
Search

8 Hours in Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Smile

I took the short walk out of the terminal, crossed the street and entered the RAC Center, when I should have-

read the big sign I missed that said - "All National Customers Please Proceed to the 4th floor."

After providing my QR code to the CSR, she provided me my options of cars. Subaru Forester it is.

Not bad for $49 for the day.

Before leaving the RAC center, I pulled over and changed into "Hawaiian" type clothes. Shorts and a button down Calloway.

I then proceeded over to the 604 for lunch.

I went simple and ordered the "Famous" 604 bacon burger.

After a forgettable lunch, I made the 30 minute drive to Waikiki and stopped at the nearest ABC store for some Tums, but had to settle for Pepto chewables. Come on we've all been there!

My first Stop was the Moana Surfrider.

We like this resort depending on what's on our agenda - this trip will be all about relaxing and Pina Coladas.

Forgot how small the beach is over here.

Might have to fight for chairs in the morning - the restaurant was open so that's a plus.

It's also in the heart of the major shopping brands - which could be hard on the wallet.

I then walked over to the Royal Hawaiian through their shopping mall.

Now I haven't stayed here in some time, but if I remember correctly, the rooms were small.

Gorgeous grounds.

My jacuzzi is bigger than their pool. This is an older resort.

Great architecture.

Again, no beach. Bars were open.

My last stop was to the Hawaiian Village.

I can't tell you how many times I've stayed here in my lifetime, but enough to see that they have refurbished the Rainbow Tower three times and it's due again; so this visit was just a peek to see what had changed since my last stay in January.

Somethings have changed -

others have not. Tapa Bar still closed.

At this point, it's late in the afternoon and I realize I don't "just" have an upset stomach - it's food poisoning. I know where I picked it up and Mrs. Glasman warned me. So I headed back to the car for a couple of Lomotil tablets.

Now, for those of you that travel like I do, the pills are a must to have on all your trips. In fact, Tony Bourdain listed it as a top 10 ten item that he took on every trip. It saved me!

At this point, I vetoed the rest of the resorts and took a mini driving trip around the island.

Koko Crater, which I climbed in January.

Rabbit Island.

Robin Master's Estate.

Back to Honolulu via the H3.

Then to the Bishop Museum, which had already closed at 5PM.

At this point, I was was beat. I headed over to the airport, turned in my car, and walked to the terminal.

Departure board growing with additional flights.

With the Pre-check lane closed, I herded with the masses.

Which wasn't too bad as I was in the terminal 11 minutes later.

Plane spotting.

A now empty clearance line.

Then up to the United Club.

.....where I ordered a Whiskey and Ginger in hopes that it would make my stomach feel better.

At 9:30PM the United Club closed, so I headed down to Gate G4 which was right below us.

The GA called for GS members, and though I am not one, I was able to make my way down the jet bridge. I then settled into Polaris Seat 4L.

April 20, 2021
UA 534 HNL - LAX Gate G4, Polaris Seat 4L
10:30PM - 6:47AM Plus 1 Scheduled
10:17PM - 6:05AM Plus 1 Actual

Since this was a red-eye, I wasn't worried about windows, so I picked the closest seat to the front for an easy departure upon landing. Our Purser, Nancy, came by and acknowledged my status (a nice touch) and indicated that they would be serving dinner asked if I wanted it, then my options. I politely declined for now as I was hoping to get a few hours of sleep.

...and pass I did.

I quickly fell asleep prior to pushback and didn't wake up until there was 15 minutes left in the flight.

We arrived 42 minutes early, taxied to Gate 77 and I was off the plane a few moments after.

To an empty T7 at 6:10 in the morning.

Where I got my clearance some 24hrs earlier.

Then to P7 for my quick getaway, but not until I paid the $40 parking fee.

Beautiful Los Angeles morning.

Traffic was light and I was home and in the shower by 8:30AM.

Thanks for taking the time to come with me on this very quick trip. In review, my initial grammar went to show just how out of it I was. After some sleep, and resolved GI issues, edits made to fix.

More to come on where we decide to stay.

Last edited by glasman19; Apr 23, 2021 at 9:56 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Great report - we spent 3 weeks in Hawaii in February, including a long weekend at the Royal Hawaiian.

Despite the smaller rooms and pool, there was something I really liked about that property.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Great report, and not in the slightest bit jealous that I can't nip to Hawaii for a day...! Fantastic deal on the flight, too.

Have you stayed at Halekulani? I'm not sure if it's reopening by the time you go but it's a wonderful hotel. We spent the last two nights of our honeymoon there, but that was 11 years ago now.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I enjoyed reading about your trip very much. I live on the North Shore of O''ahu at the condos at Turtle Bay Resort. It's been closed as they are doing a massive renovation, but the beach and trails are open, as is the Palmer Golf Course and Lei Lei's Restaurant. Life is good!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Great report, and not in the slightest bit jealous that I can't nip to Hawaii for a day...! Fantastic deal on the flight, too.

Have you stayed at Halekulani? I'm not sure if it's reopening by the time you go but it's a wonderful hotel. We spent the last two nights of our honeymoon there, but that was 11 years ago now.
Halekulani ist due to reopen in summer!
gustavmahler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.