From the Edge of the Metroplex to the Mile High City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 17th March 2021 to 22nd March 2021
Part I: Overview

I flew on one airline, Southwest.
I flew two itineraries for a total of two flight segments.
I flew a total of 2,084 miles according to flightmemory.com
I used three airports: DAL, DEN and LGB
I was out for part or all of six days
I did one trip
I drove in a total of three states: Texas, New Mexico and Colorado
I drove a total of 812 actual miles.
I experienced some different types of weather
I attended one church that I previously attended: Messiah Baptist Church Denver, Colorado
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
The Flight and First Night Out

Part II: 17th March

I have been home more than usual due in part to medical issues. I got approval for a biopsy and I phoned up for an appointment and I got the earliest available appointment which is Tuesday 30th March. There was a window of time before the biopsy for me to work so once a suitable trip became available I requested it and was dispatched. I booked a flight LGB-DAL (new service) and DEN-LGB in case no other suitable trip was available once the trip was complete.

The time came to leave and I consulted the Uber app and to my horror found they wanted 46$ for the short trip to LGB. I backed out of that app and consulted Lyft and after a wait which ended up cutting things closer than I would have liked, I got a ride for 16$ and some change. That is quite a difference. I arrived at LGB and checked in and though I arrived at T-45min my bags were tagged "late" as the actual checking of the bags took place after T-45min. I did not see the weight of the bags but no one made an issue of weight. Then I cleared security using TSA Precheck. My Boot Beg got more scrutiny but not a full search. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was all of 8 minutes.

Southwest #4458 LGB-DAL B-737-700 Boarding Pass A17
Seat 23F Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:20, actual 2:26
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 13h25, actual 13h31 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate 18 Scheduled 18h10, actual 18h08
Reclaim checked bags 23-25 minutes

We boarded by walking outside and going up ramp and only the front door was open. The plane was not totally full with load of 90/143. We used Gate 2 but the plane was parked at Gate 3. It was announced there was a nice tailwind but it was windy at DAL with winds out of the north at 30-40mph and we may arrive early. I had an entire row to myself. Pushback was 6 minutes late and takeoff was to the northwest. It was a bit hazy but I saw snowcapped mountains to the distance. We turned left at 0:01 and I saw the South Bay and Palos Verdes Peninsula. I saw San Pedro and Port of Los Angeles at 0:02 and we went overwater at 0:03 and I saw Catalina Island.

We made landfall at 0:06 over Newport Beach. At 0:08 I saw San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point ans south Orange County and north San Diego County coast. Clouds blocked view at 0:09 as we headed east. Clouds broke and I saw the Salton Sea at 0:18. I saw Interstate 10 and Chiriaco Summit at 0:19. I saw Desert Center, CA at 0:21. We crossed the Colorado River into Arizona airspace at 0:28 and drink orders were taken at the same time. Southwest changed its service and instead of just water the options were expanded to include Coke, Diet Coke, 7 Up and Water. I chose 7 Up. I got Snack Mix at 0:30. I got cup of soda at 0:35 and I saw what looked like Prescott, AZ at 0:40.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:43 as we passed by Flagstaff and I saw Interstate 17 at 0:44. At 0:52 we went over the Painted Desert. At 0:55 I saw the snowcapped White Mountains to the distance. We crossed the Rio Grande and Interstate 25 south of Albuquerque at 1:12. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 1:25 over the eastern plains of New Mexico. At 1:32 I saw Clovis, NM. At 1:34 I saw Texico, NM/Farwell, TX and the US60/US70 split as we entered Texas airspace. At 1:35 I saw what may have been Muleshoe, TX to the south. We crossed Interstate 27 and I saw Plainview, TX at 1:35.

I felt descent at 1:50. Descent was announced at 1:52 and we were told to expect bumps at lower altitudes closer to the Dallas as winds were out of the north at 30mph with gusts to 45mph and it was 59F at DAL. An on time ETA was expected into DAL. Clouds blocked view below but started to break at 2:11 over North Texas. We appeared to see Denton, TX at 2:14 and we circled around and saw part of the Metroplex and various highways on approach and it got bumpy but we made a surprisingly good landing to the north and arrived at gate 2 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway.

I got bags at baggage reclaim and made hotel reservation and went out to pickup point and contacted hotel for airport shuttle which came and took me to hotel where I checked in. After I put my gear into the room I got the shuttle to Dunston's Steakhouse where I had evening rations which consisted of Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon, French Fries, Black Eye Peas and Salad. Afterward I got shuttle back to hotel after a wait and got settled in and I spent the night in Dallas, TX.

Evening Rations Dunston's Steakhouse Dallas, Texas 17th March 2021 Salad

Evening Rations Dunston's Steakhouse Dallas, Texas 17th March 2021 Filet Mignon, French Fries, Black Eye Peas
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:49 am
Original Poster

WN4458 LGB-DAL 17th March 2021

Some Pictures of Southwest Airlines flight from Long Beach to Dallas Love Field

Signal Hill in the background during taxi

Just after takeoff

Going overwater with San Pedro and Palos Verdes Peninsula visible

Landfall over Newport Beach

Salton Sea

Interstate 10 and Chiriaco Summit

Interstate 10 and Desert Center, California

Colorado River

Service. 7 up and Snack Mix

Painted Desert Arizona

Rio Grande and Interstate 25 south of Albuquerque, New Mexico

Clovis, New Mexico

Texico, New Mexico/Farwell, Texas and the US60/US70 split

Plainview, Texas

Denton, Texas and vicinity

On approach to DAL, one of the lakes

On approach to DAL, one of the major highways

Cotton Bowl Dallas, Texas on approach to DAL

On approach to DAL, Interstate 30

On approach to DAL
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Great pictures as always.
And I'll have you in my prayers for the biopsy.
lamphs and tvnwz like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Changes in Altitude and Weather

Part II: The Trip 18th March to 22nd March

I awoke on Thursday 18th March in Dallas, Texas. After I got ready and checked out I ended up ordering Lyft to the shipper in Cleburne. There was a wait as there were not all that many drivers. It was a struggle as the driver's GPS wanted to route him on a toll road but I told him to stay off the toll road no matter what. That resulted it a longer trip. I arrived at the shipper, checked in and someone from the shipper took me to the truck. It turned out the truck needed a boost as it wouldn't start right away. I noticed an indicator light on and a message on the dash saying to check transmission. The situation was resolved after I shut the motor off and restarted it. The act of shutting off the motor and restarting it cleared the fault as the indicator light and message on dash disappeared. I got word to proceed and got started.

Trip: Cleburne, TX to Denver, CO 812 actual miles
Make: 2021 Hino
Model: Box Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: At least 70mph
Route: Texas 174 to US67 to Texas 171 to US180 to US281 to US287 to Interstate 40 to US87 to Interstate 25 to Interstate 225 to Interstate 70
Highest elevation: 7,834 feet Raton Pass Interstate 25 at the NM/CO state line
Highest diesel price: 3.289$ per gallon at Loves Memphis, TX
Lowest diesel price: 3.079$ per gallon at Pilot Weatherford, TX
Permits Required: NM Trip Permit

I made my way to the Pilot in Weatherford, TX where I took on fuel. Then I took some pictures of downtown Weatherford and travelled new roads but did not see a whole lot as it was dark. I stopped in Jacksboro, TX and had evening rations. I continued north on US281 and caught US287 and spent the night in Wichita Falls, TX

Friday I continued north on US287. I stopped at Walmart in Vernon, TX to get some supplies. I had late midday rations at Holy Smokes BBQ in Quanah, TX. I walked up to the drive thru window to order which was allowed at that location. I had a sliced Beef Brisket sandwich. I continued and saw sunset near Claude, TX and made a stop in Amarillo, TX before continuing to Dumas, TX where I had late evening rations at Braums. The person who served me went above and beyond in my opinion which is unfortunately all to uncommon these days. I spent the night in Dumas, TX.

Saturday it was quite windy. I stopped in Dalhart, TX and had midday rations at Hodies Bar BQ. The filling station that was 1.999$ last time I was in Dalhart went up to 2.749$ per gallon which is still cheap compared to southern California. I made pit stops in Texline, TX; Clayton, NM and Des Moines, NM. The winds diminished somewhat by the time I reached Raton, NM and I started my run up Interstate 25 and went over the Raton Pass into Colorado. I had evening rations at Wendy's in Trinidad, CO. There were problems getting lodging in Pueblo and Colorado Springs so I settled for an expensive room and spent the night in Colorado City, CO.

Sunday morning I awoke too late to attend church anywhere plus the nearest place would likely have been in Pueblo. It was dry to start. I went through Pueblo and light rain started in Fountain, CO. I got off in Colorado Springs and found a safe place to park and took a walk and took some pictures. Then I got back on the 25 and the rain intensified on the north end of Colorado Springs then changed to snow. I stopped to take on some fuel in Monument, CO. Snow continued as I got into a construction zone. The snow quit about the time I cleared Castle Rock, CO. I made it to Denver and shut down 1.3 miles or about 2km from delivery location. It was not snowing when I shut down. I checked in and got my gear into the room. Arrangements were made and someone from Messiah Baptist Church in Denver picked me up and took me to that church for Sunday Evening service. I heard the Bootwearer Preacher with a Beard preach and the message was on Genesis 6. Afterward it was snowing and the Bootwearer Preacher with a Beard took me back to hotel. I phoned in a pizza since it was snowing. The service was timely but the pizza place would not supply napkins out of fear of the cooties. I spent a snowy night in Denver, CO.

Monday it was snowing when I got up but it quit before I was ready to go. I saw there were no other suitable trips. I fired up and headed to the receiver for execution of delivery and conclusion of this trip. Whether or not that was the conclusion of my driving career remains to be seen but that is a possibility. After delivery was completed I scanned in the paperwork to the company. Then I ordered a ride to DEN.

I arrived at DEN and it turned out I was dropped off at the wrong level so I took the lift to ticketing and proceeded to check in and check bags. My bags weighed 45.0 and 40.5lbs. I cleared security with TSA Precheck. There was no additional screening to my carry on items. It took 13 minutes from beginning of check in to clear of security then another 16 minutes to get to the gate. I got a bottle of water for additional hydration onboard.

Southwest #324 DEN-LGB B-737-700 Boarding Pass A23
Seat 22F Cruising altitude 40,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:01, actual 2:00
Depart: Gate C45 Scheduled 14h05, actual 14h14 Taxi: 14 minutes
Arrive: Gate 1 Scheduled 15h40, actual 15h33 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 18-19 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. The plane was not totally full with load of 100/143 plus a crew of five. Pushback was 9 minutes late and takeoff was to the west. I saw some of the north side of the Denver metro area before clouds increased and blocked view below at 0:03. At 0:08 I felt bumps and clouds broke at 0:16. Drink orders were taken at 0:21. I got Snack Mix at 0:23. At 0:27 it was announced there would be bumps. I saw Grand Junction, CO and vicinity at 0:30 and seatbelt sign went off. I got cup of 7 up at 0:32. I saw the Colorado River at 0:35. I felt bumps at 0:52 and seatbelt sign went on. Clouds increased and blocked view below for a time. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:57. Clouds broke enough I saw Mesquite, NV at 1:12. At 1:18 I saw Nellis AFB and North Las Vegas, NV. I saw LAS and Interstate 15 at 1:20. I saw Jean, NV at 1:23. I saw Baker, CA at 1:30. I felt descent at 1:32 and descent was announced at 1:34 and winds were out of south and it was 62F at LGB. We crossed Interstate 40 at 1:35 and seatbelt sign went on at 1:36. I saw Barstow to the distance at 1:38. I saw Lucerne Valley, CA at 1:40. We went over the San Bernardino Mountains and I saw Big Bear Lake at 1:42 and Lake Arrowhead was farther away. I saw San Bernardino at 1:44 and we went over Redlands at 1:45. We were over Riverside at 1:47 and I saw Lake Mathews at 1:48. We crossed Interstate 15 at 1:49 and I saw Corona with Norco farther out. We went over the Santa Ana Mountains and I saw Prado Dam to the distance at 1:50. We crossed Interstate 5 over Tustin at 1:53. We crossed California 55 over Santa Ana at 1:54 and we crossed Interstate 405 and I saw the junction with California 73 over Costa Mesa at 1:55. We were over Huntington Beach at 1:56 and we went over the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station at 1:57. I saw the JFTB Los Alamitos at 1:58 followed by the Interstate 405/605 interchange. We crossed Interstate 405 once more and landed to the northwest. I saw Signal Hill during taxi and we arrived at gate 7 minutes early. We deplaned via ramp from front door.

After I reclaimed my checked bags I pulled up the Uber app to order a ride home and was told the price range was 44-47$. I said no thanks and closed the app and tried Lyft which wanted 18.99$. I ordered ride but no cars were available. I tried Uber again and they wanted a higher price. I tried Lyft again and they wanted 20.99$. Still no drivers available so I thought I would try Uber once more. Uber wanted 55-58$ this for a ride of 6.1 or 7.8 miles depending on route. I closed the app and went over to the taxi stand and took a taxi home for 30.76$ including tip which was more than what Lyft wanted but significantly cheaper than what Uber wanted.

Fort Worth, Texas

My ride from Cleburne, Texas to Denver, Colorado

Bootwearer Preacher with a Beard Messiah Baptist Church Denver, Colorado

Snowy scene Denver, Colorado
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Apr 1, 2021 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Some pictures of Colorado Springs, Colorado

lamphs likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Miscellaneous Trip Pictures

Some Miscellaneous Pictures taken during the Trip

Weatherford, Texas

Jacksboro, Texas

Claude, Texas sunset 19th March 2021

Amarillo, Texas

Amarillo, Texas

Texline, Texas

Clayton, New Mexico

Raton, New Mexico sunset 20th March 2021

near Trinidad, Colorado

Denver, Colorado
lamphs likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:01 am
Original Poster

WN324 DEN-LGB 22nd March 2021

Some pictures of Southwest Airlines Flight 324 Denver to Long Beach

Prior to pushback from gate at DEN

After takeoff from DEN

Western Colorado

Grand Junction, Colorado and Vicinity

Service

Colorado River eastern Utah

Mesquite, Nevada

Las Vegas area

LAS and Las Vegas area

Jean, Nevada

Baker, California

Interstate 40 and Mojave Desert

Big Bear Lake

Big Bear Lake

Highland, California

San Bernardino and San Bernardino International Airport formerly Norton AFB

Redlands

Colton and Loma Linda Interstate 10 and 215

Lake Mathews

Interstate 15 and California 91 Corona/Norco area

Interchange Interstate 5/California 55 in Tustin

Santa Ana

Interchange of Interstate 405 and California 73 Costa Mesa

Huntington Beach Beach Boulevard and Interstate 405 near the top

Warner and Gothard; Warner Avenue Baptist Church Huntington Beach, California

Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station

Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station

Interchange of Interstates 405/605 and San Gabriel River

Los Altos Shopping Centre Long Beach on final approach

At gate after arrival at LGB
kenko92, offerendum and graffiti like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Thank you for the trip report. Your reports are always interesting and unique.

All the best with the biopsy. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I always enjoy your unique travel reports. Good luck with your medical procedure.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I hope you have a negative result. I enjoy these reports from the road. Please let us know how it turns out. God’s speed...
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I hope you have a negative result. I enjoy these reports from the road. Please let us know how it turns out. God’s speed...
Unfortunately that was not the case.

Last week I had appointment with oncologist. I was diagnosed with fast growing cancer in my breast tissues. At this point they are saying stage 3. In just over 3 hours I have an appointment for orientation for upcoming chemotherapy. I am not sure yet of the exact start of the date for chemotherapy but I was told four sessions three weeks apart in order to shrink the tumour before surgery is done to remove it. They are not sure yet if I will need radiation. The oncologist estimated it will be sometime in August before the surgery can be done to remove the tumour. This means I will lose a significant amount of work.

This did not come as a total surprise. My family history...on both sides of the family tree...regarding breast cancer is totally off the charts. Both my mother and sister had breast cancer and survived. My sister had stage 4 and it had spread and they did not think she would survive but she is still alive 31 or 32 years later.

Breast Cancer is more common among women but it is not, repeat NOT totally out of the question for men as I am experencing. Men, please do yourself a favour and periodically check your chest/breast areas for any unusual lumps or growths.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Sorry to read this. I have dealt with this in various iterations with my wife. Chemo can kick your butt, but that and the surgery will probably be very effective. I will pray for you that you beat this and get back on the road.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Thanks for this trip report I enjoy reading them; will miss them over the next little while. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm hopeful for you that even though your family history is laced with cancer that it is also laced with survivors. Take care.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:17 pm

Best wishes for a full, speedy recovery! I always like your pics of small town US; so much to see in this world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.