Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Seeking Santa!

Seeking Santa!

Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Seeking Santa!

I started my trip to Rovaniemi. Finnish Lapland early in the morning. My goal was to ski as much as possible. And I don’t mean downhill skiing, but cross-country skiing which is decent sport and traditional transportation way in Finland back in the days.

I had no idea what to expect at the airport. I knew that services at the airport would be very limited. Typically during COVID-19, there have been only few passengers, but today several airplanes took off at the same time and was not enough capacity at the security control - which meant chaos. I had to queue 45 minutes, which was huge mismanagement by Finavia (Finnish airport operator). Many flights was delayed and almost I missed my flight too.

I didn’t have much time to look at the airport services, because I hurried to the gate. Today’s aircraft type was surprisingly Airbus A321. Finnair has operated typically ATR72 aircraft type during COVID-19. A321 felt comfortable after ATR -shuttle, there was plenty of room for every passengers because passenger loads are so light. Airbus also felt much more quieter.

It was nice to land in a winter wonderland and start my winter holiday by meeting Santa and going for a husky ride! I also skied as there was no tomorrow!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Extra Mile

PS. Moderators, i hope you link this post to the thread i started earlier: First baby steps of flying after COVID-19
lamphs and GregWTravels like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Glad you didn’t miss the flight due to security queue!
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Glad you didn’t miss the flight due to security queue!
I’m also glad too!
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Seeking Santa part 2

The winter holiday in Finnish Lapland was great successful! We tried a husky ride, skied a lot and of course finally met Santa! The husky ride was such a nice experience even for a local (like i’m), that i can recommend it to anyone (take as long as wallet lasts and maybe hunt Aurora Borealis with them?). The skiing conditions were excellent, but heavy! I skied almost 90 km in five days!

Santa was friendly and said that he will visit at Christmas if we are kind all year long! Everything ends at some point, so does this winter holiday in Finnish Lapland, Rovaniemi and it was time to return home. We took a taxi to the Rovaniemi Airport, which is biggest one in Lapland. ATR72 shuttle was waiting for us, but it went fast and the winter scenery was stunning

Thank you!

Best regards,
Extra Mile
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:26 pm

I enjoyed the locale and the videos. A lot different from typical trip reports. I need to get to Lapland.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
I enjoyed the locale and the videos. A lot different from typical trip reports. I need to get to Lapland.
Thank you! I appreciate that and can highly recommend it!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Looks like a nice trip. I'm not much of a cross-country skier, more alpine, but seeing anyone on snow makes me smile. Not seen much of the stuff this winter here in London (other than a couple days...)

Oh, and funky music in the videos too!
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Looks like a nice trip. I'm not much of a cross-country skier, more alpine, but seeing anyone on snow makes me smile. Not seen much of the stuff this winter here in London (other than a couple days...)

Oh, and funky music in the videos too!
It was a nice trip. During these times, it has begun to appreciate more your home country and Lapland! Lapland is very unique and exotic tourist destination for many people. A pure white snow looks fantastic and it means how pure the nature is. In the past, all holiday trips were directed to the Mediterranean, but in future I will also travel more in Lapland.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I did a small human experiment and took domestic flight to Kuopio (380 km by car) and back by train. The total duration of travel time was 2h 30 min vs. 5h 15 min and the time difference is 2h 45 min. In my situation is no significant time difference between where I leave, the airport or the train station. The overall experience is quite different. Even if the travel time is more than half shorter, you only need to sit in your seat only an hour vs. over four hours, but the flip side of the coin is that you can watch the scenery all the way through! The train ticket is little bit cheaper than a plane ticket (22e vs. 41e), but I still prefer flying. So my choice is Finnair and flying and I look forward to return of services to the airport!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Extra Mile

https://youtube.com/channel/UCX8turg...confirmation=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.