Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four days in Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Yes, sad it is. And humiliating for some. Worrying and more for the population. However, while a lot of people are predicting a return to the Dark Ages, I'm not so sure. Taliban.2 might turn out to be rather different from Taliban.1 and be on a charm offensive for several years, preserving the progress made with regards to human rights and also recognising diplomatic relations. If that turns out to be the case, tourism of a sort would be to their advantage, possibly enabling certain outfits such as Wild Frontiers to operate cultural tours there again in a few years' time.
The vast majority of tours that operated inside Afghanistan were actually run by "Let's be Friends", which is an Afghan owned tour company based in Mazar-i-sharif. Most of the tour companies selling tours in Afghanistan never ran the tours, and contracted out to "Let's be Friends". That said, the obstacle to restarting tourism (ignoring the safety risks) is having a government that is willing to issue tourist visas. Whether the Taliban cares at all about such a thing seems dubious at best. Its not like the volume of tourism over the past 20 years was anything more than a statistical rounding error in the country's economy.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:29 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by offerendum
Indeed very sad. I think it´s quite sure we will not see any reports about Afghanistan for a long time here.
If any, likely to be one way trip reports .....(either direction)
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by netllama
The vast majority of tours that operated inside Afghanistan were actually run by "Let's be Friends", which is an Afghan owned tour company based in Mazar-i-sharif. Most of the tour companies selling tours in Afghanistan never ran the tours, and contracted out to "Let's be Friends". That said, the obstacle to restarting tourism (ignoring the safety risks) is having a government that is willing to issue tourist visas. Whether the Taliban cares at all about such a thing seems dubious at best. Its not like the volume of tourism over the past 20 years was anything more than a statistical rounding error in the country's economy.
I wonder how many siged up for this:
14 Days : Trekking Tour in Wakhan August 2021 - letsbefriendsafghanistan
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Fascinating Trip Report especially in light of recent events. Thanks for taking the time and effort to compose and post. Great pictures.
netllama likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Yes, sad it is. And humiliating for some. Worrying and more for the population. However, while a lot of people are predicting a return to the Dark Ages, I'm not so sure. Taliban.2 might turn out to be rather different from Taliban.1 and be on a charm offensive for several years, preserving the progress made with regards to human rights and also recognising diplomatic relations. If that turns out to be the case, tourism of a sort would be to their advantage, possibly enabling certain outfits such as Wild Frontiers to operate cultural tours there again in a few years' time.
Taliban 2 - their strict interpretation of Sharia law is put to the side all of a sudden allowing tourism, and even 10 year old girls an education. Maybe they will rebuild the Bamiyan Buddha statues, even allow tourists go to the cinema.

Seriously, read up on the Taliban.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: All of Them
Such a great report. It's a pity that it's now in a state of chaos.
netllama and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:20 pm

For those interested, here is an email I received from Lupine Travel UK in response to my query about the safety of the Let’s Be Friends Afghanistan team:

Yes we're still in touch with them all. We tried to get Noor and his family out a couple of weeks ago but it fell through. Two other avenues since then have also hit problems. We're still working on it though and hoping to get some good news soon. In case it's of interest, I'm posting updates here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dylan-harris-2 (no need to donate, we already have enough money to cover costs once we have visas for them).

We're also working with other companies to help get Noor's other guides and drivers out, as well as fixers and guides who work in tourism around Afghanistan. https://fundly.com/support-afghan-guides-and-fixers-1
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Returning to FlyerTalk after a long hiatus (surprising how focused one can get when one is working from home - no kidding!).

Something tells me that this thread is going to be the most popular one of FlyerTalk in the near future!

Will read in detail and comment more later :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.