LH/TP in J During Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH/TP in J During Covid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
LH/TP in J During Covid

Sweden is grey and cold most of the year during November so it was time for a few weeks in Madeira. Madeira seemed to be doing all the right things with regard to Covid so we got the up your nose with a rubber hose PCR test in Stockholm before heading to the airport the next day. For those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of a PCR test it involved a charming nurse sticking a small plastic stick up my nose. It had an irritant on it causing my eyes to water and for my nose to produce mucus. You may want to skip past this bit and I probably should have warned you earlier. Sorry. But after probably a minute - enough of the green stuff had been produced so she swizzled the stick like a New York bartender to ensure the furthest reaches of my nasal cavity were scraped clear. The next thing I know (ie. next morning) an email arrives giving me the all clear. It's a shame my nose still felt as though she has used a steel wire brush.

LH809 ARN-FRA

An early morning start from Arlandia Radisson Blu saw us at a cold and quiet Stockholm Arlanda airport. We checked in and headed to the lounge for a quick pre-breakfast. I always believe lounges should demonstrate the culture / food / wine of their country and the SAS lounge has this down pat - demonstrating the concept of lagom (look it up) very well. The usual meagre booze selection was non existent but it was possible to collect a reasonable breakfast there.

Fast track security worked well - and a tip for travelling in covid times. Don't use hand sanitiser after security and then handle your boarding pass! Luckily it still got me in to the lounge and that's the important thing.

Priority boarding started on time and everything went like the proverbial clockwork. All passengers and crew wore masks and excellent alcohol wipes were handed out upon boarding.

There were no menus but a simple cold no-choice breakfast of smoked salmon etc.

Overall it was the usual eurobusiness experience.

We landed a little early which was fortunate because even with a barely used airport all our FRA flights seemed to be at the furthest extremities of the terminal.

LH1170 FRA-FNC A321 Neo

Rather than FRA-LIS-FNC on the weekend LH offers as a direct FRA-FNC flight. In covid times I figured the less airports and flights the better so here we are.

We managed to briefly visit the FRA SEN lounge which due to the German closure of restaurants in place at the time the lounge became a sitting area only but with sandwiches, pretzels, bananas, coffee and water available to take away. At the time the showers were still closed, but I believe have since reopened.

Priority boarding was on-time and the new aircraft was very clean and pleasant. A menu was provided:

Although it didn't look the best the chicken dish was pretty good.

Some crackers to go with the "cheese course" would have been appreciated. And the wine service was slow - as it was on all LH flights. I'm not sure if they are cost cutting or minimising face-to-face contact - or both.

Regardless, the flight provided great views of the Swiss Alps (if you sit on the left) and the Pyrenees.

We landed early into Funchal and were mighty impressed by the covid measures there. Either you had a PCR test before departing or upon arrival there was a free PVC test. The downside of the free arrival test was that if you tested positive the Madeiran government got to choose your hotel room rather than you. And you got to stay until you tested negative - which could take longer than you wanted and certainly longer than you want want to dine on room service within your appointed hotel room. The arrival service was well organised and efficient. Our hotel was just opposite the airport (Albatroz) and I would highly recommend it for a quiet get away. We were at reception within 30 minutes of the plane landing.

In Madeira most people were wearing masks - as required. Some tourists and school students seemed to flaunt the rules. Compliance was higher in Funchal town rather than in more remote areas. Madeira is hardly a place for buzzing nightlife but we loved the food, the relaxed service and laid back approach to everything. The climate sure beat mainland Europe - I managed to get in one swim but the water was bloody cold. (late November)
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
After two weeks, a couple of extra kilos around the waist and 2 suitcases full of booze to bring back to Sweden it was time for the return journey.

TP1696 FNC-LIS

Funchal is hardly the most exciting airport around. We were advised to arrive 2 hours before departure so a 7:00am pickup it was from Madeira Airport Transfers (highly recommended). But when we arrived the airport terminal looked blacked out. We managed to find an open door and all staff were at the coffee shop swapping stories and enjoying coffee before opening the check-in desks. You check-in downstairs, head up two floors for security and sizeable duty-free section and a great outdoor viewing terrace / smoking area then back down one level for the gates. The duty free collection was actually quite impressive for the size of the airport with a good selection of aged Madeiran wine going back as far as 1956 (that I saw).

The lounge was closed due to covid / cost cutting.

Priority boarding started on time before a short walk across the tarmac for our final Bom Dia to Madeira. It's a pretty short runway with great views and the potential for a bumpy landing if the wind is up (particularly in summer).

A mid-morning "meal" was served and was quite enjoyable.

We arrived in Lisbon right on time. We managed to visit the lounge very briefly (no photos sorry because I was busy stuffing my face with my last pastel da nata which was still warm from the oven).

LH1167 LIS-FRA

Priority boarding from a small gate started on time. I don't know why, I kept looking online, but we ended up in the last row of business class while other seats ahead of us remained empty. Menus were provided:

If you've read the menu you can probably guess what happens next. I'm a bloke, I want the beef, I'm in the last row of business class. I lip read the FA as she works her way back up the aisle. Beef / Fish. I'm still in with a chance. 4 people in the last row. All get beef. I'm last to be served - no choice for me. I'll have the Halibut I say through a faux-smile and gritted teeth.

Wine service was again incredibly slow.

I don't have any photos of bare feet on bulkheads, but one passenger insisted on doing this twice:

Grabbing something out of his bag and leaving it half hanging out of the overhead locker without closing the door. Maybe he was born in a barn as my parents would say.

We landed early which wasn't much use to us because with the reduce flight frequency we had a long wait at FRA for our next flight to ARN.

The lounge was still open for sitting only - and playing guitar according to one guest. I left a few times to grab some water and a snack to consume in the deserted terminal. I felt so sorry for the business operators in the terminal. It was like a ghost town.

LH808 FRA-ARN A319

After a long dry wait in the lounge, and the lack of open bars in the terminal, it was time to board our last flight of the trip. Boarding started a little late but tail winds made up the time.

No menus this time but a simple no-choice cold snack for supper:

The passionfruit topping brought back memories of Madeira. By this time I had woken up to the slow LH drink service so my wife and I order drinks even though she wasn't driving and this worked out about right.

Upon arriving at the usual last gate in the pier (for LH808/809) we arrived at the luggage belts where bags started to appear almost immediately, more of less in one piece and for once at Arlanda the priority tags seemed to work. After collecting out bags we walked through the depressingly empty terminals of Arlanda for P41 where we got a great deal for the car park during our absence.
roadwarrier and francophile like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
It's a pretty short runway with great views and the potential for a bumpy landing if the wind is up (particularly in summer).
Except for the old Kai Tac airport in Hong Kong, this one actually made me grip the armrests the last time we went in to land. I thought that we were going to abort, but the TAP crew obviously know what they were doing. Loads of Brandy that afternoon - for medicinal purposes of course.

Glad you enjoyed your trip - it really is a great destination!
sydunipete and SKT-DK like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Various
Thanks for sharing but I have no idea why you'd want to leave Stockholm during wonderful November...
sydunipete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.