Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

To Kashgar: flying/hitching/walking to Xinjiang.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Kashgar: flying/hitching/walking to Xinjiang.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I do plan to write more trip reports here in the future, both from Central Asia and elsewhere. And I'm hoping we can get to travel again sometimes in 2021.
Yes please! to BOTH those sentiments!!
13901 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I'm fascinated by central Asia - just seems like a world apart.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I'm fascinated by central Asia - just seems like a world apart.
Thanks a lot for reading gfunkdave. Central Asia is a great place indeed.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Thanks a lot for reading gfunkdave. Central Asia is a great place indeed.
Many thanks for a really interesting TR which I have only just caught up with.

Your section on Kashgar was a sobering account of the current atmosphere there, but it also brought back pleasant memories of my trip there in 1991. There seemed to be more going on around the Id Kah mosque then than in your picture and it was in Kashgar that I tasted my first fresh figs - the vendor had already thoughtfully peeled the skin off them.

I also met some young Pakistani traders, though that was on the bus to Tashkurgan. This was a wonderfully scenic ride by the way.

The flight back to Urumqi on a Tupolev 154 was delayed for 24 hours, but like you, I was lucky enough to get my room back at the hotel where I had been staying.

Hope you will get to Turpan another time. It was certainly worth a visit. The bus from Urumqi seemed to take a more interesting route than the train. At least that was the impression I had from comparing notes with other travellers. Please excuse the rather basic photo from that visit.

Look forward to reading future Trip Reports from you.

13901 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michlflyer
Many thanks for a really interesting TR which I have only just caught up with.

Your section on Kashgar was a sobering account of the current atmosphere there, but it also brought back pleasant memories of my trip there in 1991. There seemed to be more going on around the Id Kah mosque then than in your picture and it was in Kashgar that I tasted my first fresh figs - the vendor had already thoughtfully peeled the skin off them.

I also met some young Pakistani traders, though that was on the bus to Tashkurgan. This was a wonderfully scenic ride by the way.

The flight back to Urumqi on a Tupolev 154 was delayed for 24 hours, but like you, I was lucky enough to get my room back at the hotel where I had been staying.

Hope you will get to Turpan another time. It was certainly worth a visit. The bus from Urumqi seemed to take a more interesting route than the train. At least that was the impression I had from comparing notes with other travellers. Please excuse the rather basic photo from that visit.

Look forward to reading future Trip Reports from you.
Hi michlflyer what a journey that must've been!!! It feels me with dread to think of how much has been lost, or ruined forever, between your trip and mine. Thank you for reading.

In terms of trip reports, here is another one I just wrapped up. This time's about Chile.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
This was a fascinating read and looks like a great adventure - thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlpinto
This was a fascinating read and looks like a great adventure - thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Hi mlpinto, thank you for reading.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I like Central Asia, I have never been and will probably never go (as a disabled traveller with chronic disease this would be risky) but love to read travel story about it. I will order your book.
Thank you! Looking forward to hear if you liked it. Unfortunately the region has very little in the sense of sensibility for people with disabilities. Even things like ramps for wheelchairs are either non-existent or, if available, have some impossible gradients (like for overpasses/metro entrances).
So I finally ordered your book. I am halfway through it and am hooked. I love the writing style and the way you narrate your travel, I have an atlas open while I am reading to follow. This is all very interesting and fascinating about a part of the world I know very little about (I have a Kazakh colleague but he is very dismissive about his country). It definitely motivates me to go there in the near future (well 2022 !) I am curious if you know what happened to the German pensioner you met in the Pamir, travelling overland to Bangkok. Did she make it ?
13901 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
So I finally ordered your book. I am halfway through it and am hooked. I love the writing style and the way you narrate your travel, I have an atlas open while I am reading to follow. This is all very interesting and fascinating about a part of the world I know very little about (I have a Kazakh colleague but he is very dismissive about his country). It definitely motivates me to go there in the near future (well 2022 !) I am curious if you know what happened to the German pensioner you met in the Pamir, travelling overland to Bangkok. Did she make it ?
Thank you fransknorge, way too kind. I'm sorry to hear about your Kazakh colleague not being fond of his country: I travelled it quite extensively and it's a gem. It sure has problems but it's also come a long way and has overcome a lot of issues. I follow a lot of Kazakh photographers/outdoor sportspeople on Instagram and man it's hard staying in London when you see their picture.

About the pensioner... well, who knows? Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. She was a great source of inspiration though! There should be more people like her in the world.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
This was a good interesting read.
Thanks for the report.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thekfc
This was a good interesting read.
Thanks for the report.
Thank you for reading, thekfc.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Just wonderful. Clearly I missed this TR when you first posted it - thank you for taking the time & putting in the effort to post.

Bravo
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wickersley
Just wonderful. Clearly I missed this TR when you first posted it - thank you for taking the time & putting in the effort to post.

Bravo
*takes bow*

Thank you for reading, Wickersley!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Hi 13901. Great TR. I travelled from Beijing to Urumqi, Kashi and to Karakul back in 2003. Things were different then, but not by much...
I am planning a trip for May 22: Karachi-Moenjodaro-Harappa-Lahore-Rawalpindi-Islamabad-Hunza-Swat-Islamabad. A diversion to Peshawar is on the cards, as is one to Skardu (but I know that I am not up to the trek to K2 basecamp). Does it interest you?
Having read your TR, I feel you would be a great person to travel with (sight unseen, of course). Hope to hear from you here and in PM.
Satya
13901 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spc354
Hi 13901. Great TR. I travelled from Beijing to Urumqi, Kashi and to Karakul back in 2003. Things were different then, but not by much...
I am planning a trip for May 22: Karachi-Moenjodaro-Harappa-Lahore-Rawalpindi-Islamabad-Hunza-Swat-Islamabad. A diversion to Peshawar is on the cards, as is one to Skardu (but I know that I am not up to the trek to K2 basecamp). Does it interest you?
Having read your TR, I feel you would be a great person to travel with (sight unseen, of course). Hope to hear from you here and in PM.
Satya
Thanks a lot Satya, I'd love to be able to tag along but... at this point in time, with Covid and everything, I'm not sure I'd be able to say 'yes' with any hope of actually making it. I'm still trying to get some money back from trips that have been cancelled last year! Also, I'm having to use some annual leave time in March based on how a project I'm working on is scheduled to take place so that might not work.

thank you and looking forwards to reading your TR here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.