A 5-day Burundi Peregrination & Air Tanzania Business Class to South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A 5-day Burundi Peregrination & Air Tanzania Business Class to South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thanks a million roadwarrier,! It must have a good and unique moment. How difficult was the crossing at border? Congolese officers are infamoulsly known for their greed...
Very interesting info about your lounge experience. Was is with the same airline or PP? Hopefully, the new terminal 3 lounge has a clear set of rules for entry.
Thankfully, we were in a Convoy so all paperwork was taken care of by our Security Detail. In the past, I normally crossed over at Bukavu and have had issues. Sometimes my visa was deemed not correct and I needed a "correct" version ???? For the record, the visas all looked alike except for the signatures and point of issue. So yes, often a US$ 20 cost had to be explained to my office.

I have Gold status with TK, so when I fly with SAA I should, in theory be allowed access, but sometimes that was not allowed then I had to resort to PP which I found was so senseless. Once, also on SAA I flew with a Business Associate in Y, and we were allowed access without any issue (he had no status), so it was always luck of the draw.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Many thanks for commenting maastrichtmouse.
Wow lucky! The aftermath of C-19 I fear the most in the future, is that the single daily connection will be more frequent in Africa.
Very good idea. You should pick Uganda, very diverse and probably less expensive than Rwanda .
Very familiar with south west Uganda, used to live out that way. Beautiful, beautiful place. Rwanda is stunning and the capital is very easy to navigate, but I found it a little less beguiling than Kampala. When I was last in Rwanda there were a lot of diplomatic and UN Burundian registered vehicles, chatting with them they had been pulled out just a few weeks previously.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:57 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Nice to see a trip report from a part of the world that many of us don't get to see.

My Precision Air on line check in's suffered the same fate as you if I recall correctly.

Dar Es Salaam is looking much brighter these days, even from my visit 2 years ago; perhaps a sign on the future!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by clkc86
Wow. Glad I took the time to read this. I'll certainly never travel in this part of the world. Loved the pics of the kiddos
For unexplained reasons, I forgot to reply to your kind comment clkc86 – my sincere apologies!
Never say never ... as you know, the World fluctuates these days swiftly. BTW, are you talking about the charming kiddos at the Germans' Gorge or at the Tanganyika Blue Bay Resort ?

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thankfully, we were in a Convoy so all paperwork was taken care of by our Security Detail. In the past, I normally crossed over at Bukavu and have had issues. Sometimes my visa was deemed not correct and I needed a "correct" version ???? For the record, the visas all looked alike except for the signatures and point of issue. So yes, often a US$ 20 cost had to be explained to my office.

I have Gold status with TK, so when I fly with SAA I should, in theory be allowed access, but sometimes that was not allowed then I had to resort to PP which I found was so senseless. Once, also on SAA I flew with a Business Associate in Y, and we were allowed access without any issue (he had no status), so it was always luck of the draw.
Crossing at Bukavu, on the tiny (now renovated) bridge over the Rusizi river, requires transiting via Rwanda (safer than via Bujumbura => Uvira and then driving up to Bukavu in Congo though – if it's your final destination). No wonder immigration officers might have looked askance at your odd yet logical itinerary .

Concerning their lounge access policy lottery, it's absolutely ridiculous since 4 * alliance airlines fly to DAR, unless the restriction was correlated to the lounge being crammed when you reached there. I bet that the January 2020 changes for *Gold, have called for a more frequent use of your PP card at DAR. Or maybe your nice smiles played an important role during other trips... .

On the other hand, I was *Gold only one year thanks to BMI (BD) generous status match in 2010 or 2011, and LH in some German airports or LYS contracted lounge always denied entry for BD Top Tier Diamond Club members!

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Very familiar with south west Uganda, used to live out that way. Beautiful, beautiful place. Rwanda is stunning and the capital is very easy to navigate, but I found it a little less beguiling than Kampala. When I was last in Rwanda there were a lot of diplomatic and UN Burundian registered vehicles, chatting with them they had been pulled out just a few weeks previously.
Have you been to QENP or Bwindi Impenetrable National Park? The experience must be somewhat impressive, right?
Kampala is a totally crazy city, compared to Bujumbura, let alone Kigali, not for the faint hearted for sure!
Despite the current diplomatic feuds between Uganda and Rwanda; plus Burundi vs Rwanda, (before C-19) most people kept going back and forth freely/naturally across the borders from both countries... but, even if I'm not biased, we shall not drift towards these hot topics, if you don't mind .

BTW, two recent news that may please you:

* Burundi new President appoints minister from Batwa tribe for the very first time: https://www.newvision.co.ug/news/152...er-batwa-tribe

* Rwanda: commercial flights to resume in August following European Union to allow travellers from Rwanda: https://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/covi...-eu-next-month

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Nice to see a trip report from a part of the world that many of us don't get to see.

My Precision Air on line check in's suffered the same fate as you if I recall correctly.

Dar Es Salaam is looking much brighter these days, even from my visit 2 years ago; perhaps a sign on the future!
Many thanks for reading and commenting worldtraveller73. Much appreciated!

Yes indeed, I perfectly remember your excellent trip report to East Africa, especially the very inspiring Zanzibar part .
Precision Air can lack of consistency sometimes, which is pity as for your very short hop it would have been very useful to save time.
DAR new T3 will enhance pax experience, even in its truly African style...
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Really great TR! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:17 am

AMAZING! This is a very well detailed report!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:14 pm

I’ve only read about half so far, but had to comment on how much I’m enjoying it. Your knowledge and love really shine through. Thank you and fingers crossed I can visit one day soon myself.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Really great TR! Thank you for sharing.
Many thanks for stopping by Kyushuman !

Originally Posted by SunSeaFly
AMAZING! This is a very well detailed report!
Thanks a lot for your kind words SunSeaFly, much appreciated .

Originally Posted by strummerjones
I’ve only read about half so far, but had to comment on how much I’m enjoying it. Your knowledge and love really shine through. Thank you and fingers crossed I can visit one day soon myself.
Glad you've enjoyed the part you read Strummerjones, hopefully you will take time to read the rest of the report. With the Covid-19 vaccines more and more available, leisure travels will resume soon and will give you an opportunity to visit Burundi and East Africa in the same time .
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:54 am

I thought South african had stopped flying. I assume only their long haul flights. I enjoyed flying with them 5 years ago.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Bretteee
I thought South african had stopped flying. I assume only their long haul flights. I enjoyed flying with them 5 years ago.
Yes, SAA is in Business Rescue. The Government has yet again thrown huge wads of cash at it and they say that they will resume operations in the coming weeks, so we will see.
On a recent trip to Brussels to get vaccines, the crew miscalculated the fuel load by 90 tons and thankfully, the A346 had a Safety System that kicked in. Then, on the return, they broke noise abatement rules. I do not know at this stage if the EU is banning them or what.
Also, there is a small issue of the crew needing flight simulator time - no idea how long that will take.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
What a fantastic trip report- thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.