Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossoms in DC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Cherry Blossoms in DC

With COVID-19 ravaging the world, cherry blossom viewing season has been cancelled in all the big hotspots this year. That made me realize I had not posted my DC cherry blossom photos taken 2 years ago to this day. It was a fairly last-minute trip and blue skies played a big role in me taking the long bus ride down from Canada just for the weekend. The bloom was just as good as Japan, although Americans don't typically camp out and have a drink under the cherry trees like the Japanese. This made navigating through the waterfront a bit easier.

In 1912, Tokyo gifted 3000 cherry trees to Washington DC to celebrate the friendship between the 2 countries. Around late March and early April, the Tidal Basin is awash in pink, and access is all free.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/dc-cherry.htm
verve, Fredrik74, lamphs and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
One thing to note - if you drive around at night during blossom season, the city is literally glowing with the blossoms reflecting the incident ambient light.

David
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
One thing to note - if you drive around at night during blossom season, the city is literally glowing with the blossoms reflecting the incident ambient light.

David
Actually, the Japanese have night viewing, flashing floodlights onto the cherry blossoms (and fall colours as well) to make an absolutely surreal night-time scene. Are the DC ones lit up as well? I didn't get a chance to get back for an evening stroll that time.
benjymessner likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Actually, the Japanese have night viewing, flashing floodlights onto the cherry blossoms (and fall colours as well) to make an absolutely surreal night-time scene. Are the DC ones lit up as well? I didn't get a chance to get back for an evening stroll that time.
Not using flashlights - around DC's streets are enough street lamps that you'll be driving in a residential neighborhood and, with the ambient light, the cherry trees glow.

David
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This is a good idea for next year and a way to convince my GF to visit the US
benjymessner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.