Search

Land of Fire and Ice – Iceland Ring Road Adventure on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Part 06 – Day Trip to Stykkisholmur, a fishing village

Day Trip to Stykkisholmur

This morning we headed out to a fishing village of Stykkisholmur. Located by the Breiπafjφrπur Bay, Stykkisholmur has a population of 1,200. It is still in the Western Region of Iceland.
It was a gorgeous scenic drive along the way on Route 54. At the junction of Route 54 and Stykkisholmsvegur Adalgata, turn left and head north. This road led straight into Stykkissholmur. The entire drive took only 35 minutes.

Scenes from the drive to Stykkisholmur

We drove straight to a hill-top church, the Stykkishσlmskirkja. Its modern architecture was what attracted me here. It sits on a bluff overlooking the waters yonder.

Day Trip to Stykkisholmur

Information obtained from the church indicates that it was inaugurated May 6th, 1990. The church is designed by architect Jσn Haraldsson and the altar piece is painted by icelandic painter Kristνn Gunnlaugsdσttir and shows Mary carrying the child Jesus. The church is well known for its fine acoustics and musical events are on regular basis. A new Klais church organ was inaugurated in January 2012, commissioned from Johannes Klais of Bonn, Germany. Summer recitals are conducted by The Friends of the Arts Society Stykkishσlmrkirkja every summer.

The Stykkisholmurkirkja - One of eight most majestic modernist-influenced churches in Iceland.

The harbor is a short drive downhill. We planned to walk about the waterfront and look for photo-ops. We knew that this village has an old town that is worth a visit, not to mention a few small quirky museums. When comes time for lunch, I had one possibility, the Fancy Sheep Truck by the Harbor. This joint is known for lamb & beef burgers.

Harbor at low Tide

The Village of Stykkisholmur

The Village of Stykkisholmur

By now we are well aware of Iceland weather can change in a dime. No kidding. It had been sunny with white clouds moments ago, now by the harbor minutes later, we felt a wind storm hit. It turned really cold and gusty, probably up to 35 miles per hour.

We terminated our walk around the waterfront, and it was time to take shelter. I had already planned to do lunch around here at The Fancy Sheep Truck. Now that idea was all but abandoned. Without further delay, we settled on a place that served the famous Icelandic lamb burgers. Fortunately it was only 2 minutes away.

Good Eats in Stykkisholmur – Lamb Burger & Beef Burger

That was a superb lunch. Both the lamb and beef burgers live up to their reputation. The restaurant is on the upper floor. L shape dining room was small. Service was good and the place was warm and bright. If you happen to be in Stykkisholmur, you will be delighted to savoy the burgers here! Recommend!

After lunch, the wind seemed getting stronger. No point to walk any more in this town (there was much more to see). It was a shame that we had to truncate our visit. Walked back to the car, that was parked a short distance away. Now we were on the way back to Grundardfjordur.

Say “Bless” to Stykkisholmur, Icelandic Good Bye to this Fishing Village

Up next Part 07 - Aurora Borealis Dancing in the Skies over Budir
benjahman likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
We regret we didn't have time to hike the Kerid Crater. How did you like it?

Hofn is by far the best little fishing village that we visited. Loved the harbor and the food! If and when we come back to Iceland, we would spend 4 to 5 days here and day trip to everywhere in the Eastern Region. Fosshotel Vatnajokull would be a great place to stay. I do recommend it. As you will read it here much later in the report.
The crater was quite gorgeous when we visited, was glad we managed to slide it into our Golden Circle day. But it did mean less time other places. I wanted to hike the cliffs for the view of the presidents summer home, but was on crutches post surgery, and that added a layer of interesting. It was hard to allocate time with only 4 days, plus the ring road having so many one way sections definitely changed driving for us.

I think when we return we will start out trip we a 3 or 4 night stay in Hofn. We love hiking and beaches, it would be the perfect first stop to get over the jet lag and really experience that area. The Fosshotel looks perfect, I love that you are sharing where you stayed, and what food was available. We shopped and picnicked quite a bit, as we were out and about a lot. Really looking forward to your next instalments.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
The crater was quite gorgeous when we visited, was glad we managed to slide it into our Golden Circle day. But it did mean less time other places. I wanted to hike the cliffs for the view of the presidents summer home, but was on crutches post surgery, and that added a layer of interesting. It was hard to allocate time with only 4 days, plus the ring road having so many one way sections definitely changed driving for us.

I think when we return we will start out trip we a 3 or 4 night stay in Hofn. We love hiking and beaches, it would be the perfect first stop to get over the jet lag and really experience that area. The Fosshotel looks perfect, I love that you are sharing where you stayed, and what food was available. We shopped and picnicked quite a bit, as we were out and about a lot. Really looking forward to your next instalments.
In retrospect, if hiking and trekking are important, the Golden Circle deserves at least 2 days. Perhaps with 1 night in Reykjavik and one night somewhere midway in the Golden Circle.

I will have a lengthy report about Hofn and how we explore the area.

Well, the next installment is HERE! Hope you enjoy reading.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
In retrospect, if hiking and trekking are important, the Golden Circle deserves at least 2 days. Perhaps with 1 night in Reykjavik and one night somewhere midway in the Golden Circle.

I will have a lengthy report about Hofn and how we explore the area.

Well, the next installment is HERE! Hope you enjoy reading.

For us Iceland was a 4 day stop over on our way to Scotland. We had no way mentally prepared for the beauty, and how much we would fall in love with the country. We feel we could easily sp
a month or more.

Now on to your next installment.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
For us Iceland was a 4 day stop over on our way to Scotland. We had no way mentally prepared for the beauty, and how much we would fall in love with the country. We feel we could easily sp
a month or more.

Now on to your next installment.
I got you. Iceland has been a great destination as a short stop-over for many travelers (many only stop for 1 day). That in part explains the popularity of the Golden Circle & the Blue Lagoon, not to mention Hofn.
If you spend a month there, a modern camper as transport might allow you to really explore. But that is roughing it though!

Here come an exciting installment, with the dancing Aurora Borealis!
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Part 07 - Aurora Borealis Dancing in the Skies over Budir

Aurora Borealis over Budir – A Graceful Dance that Lasts All Night

Thus far, we've been teased by Aurora Borealis almost every night. Unfortunately it was always too cloudy where we were! Tonight no exception, at Grundardfjordur!

Looking at the forecast and seeing KP of 4 to 5. Sadly, Grundarfjordur was blanketed with thick layer of clouds! Absolutely no hope of seeing it at the iconic Kirkjukullfoss and Kirkjufell Mountain. Now what?

At the front door of OPO Guesthouse, we met up with the guesthouse manager. We asked where can see the Northern Lights near here? He seemed prepared of such question. Without checking his phone, told us in confidence that there was clear sky in Budir tonight (Location of the Black Church). This was confirmed later on my phone. He also mentioned a short cut to get there. That was the dirt road (extension of Route 54 mentioned before) currently being upgraded.

We didn’t know what was the conditions road, only knew it was under construction. We took it anyway. Right from the get go, 2 minutes into the rough bumpy road, we were concerned about what's ahead. The vehicle behind us had just made a U-turn. In front at quite a distance, we saw tail lights of one other car. At this time around 9PM, we were driving in total darkness and climbing. Our thoughts were to get close to the car in front and follow it. That we did successfully. Confidence rose!

After a while, we were descending and saw a few scattered lights from some distant ranches. Yea, it was clear and no cloud here. Yea, we could now see the Aurora Borealis dancing like crazy.

We continued until we reached Budir and the Black Church. By now the wind was howling fiercely, and extremely cold. As we approached the Church from the main road, we tried to quickly find a safe place (it was total darkness outside) to park with the least disturbance to other photographers. Prayed that we won’t plunge into a ditch or a hole. We parked facing the mountains off the gravel lot on to the tall grass, away from the church to minimize the glare for others.

While parked and sitting inside the car. We felt the car was rocking and heard the wind howling. Meanwhile, we looked everywhere and we were entertained with the awesome dancing lights. Excited, I grabbed my camera resting it on the dashboard and shot some test shots. Result, slightly blurry and glary shot. Great! Couldn't control the excitement!

Test shot from inside car:

Still inside the car, we quickly put on layers of clothes, gloves, head gears and preset 2 cameras on tripods, we jumped out of the car into the cold and winds.

The Dancing Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis – An Amazing Show

At times the Northern Lights were so bright that my camera setting would result in over expose! (regrettably most were found after the shoot).

Aurora Borealis – An Amazing Show

Aurora Borealis - Budir Church Slideshow. Please click link to bring up separate page on my web site (don't worry no ad and no selling)

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/fram...=2&clickable=1

When the eyes got adjusted to the darkness, I realized there were dozens of photographers scattered around the church and clicked away! Once in a while a bad apple would (perhaps unintentionally) turn on his/her torch. Grrrr! I set up one camera to do time lapse for 240 shots, the other for single shots.

The Northern Lights Spread out a vastly blanket covering the entire sky like 360. Every direction! Pointed the camera upward, this was what was captured. It was totally insane!

Time flew by quickly. When it was 1 am in the morning, we were freezing. Fingers were numb. I hoped I had captured couple of good shots. It was time to quit. Wow, what an exciting night. Finally witness the magic of the Northern Lights in Iceland!

Despite somewhat longer distance and longer driving time, we decided to take the good road back to OPO Guesthouse. That is east on Route 54 and north on Route 56 (repeating what we did days ago).

We returned to home base safely. Enjoyed some light snack with a cup of hot tea. Prepared in the community kitchen. Followed by a shower. Hit the sag and passed out!

Next up Part 08 - Long But Beautiful Drive to Lake Myvatn

Last edited by allset2travel; Apr 6, 2020 at 11:30 am Reason: edit to add
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:26 am

Beautiful photos of Iceland, allset2travel. You certainly saw and experienced some amazing and dramatic scenery on your road trip around the country.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Beautiful photos of Iceland, allset2travel. You certainly saw and experienced some amazing and dramatic scenery on your road trip around the country.
Thank you Daniel.

Yes indeed. I was blessed to be able to DIY Iceland and captured so much of her amazing landscapes. Still have lots to cover yet. Talking about that, I should be posting the next installment very soon.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Part 08 Long But Beautiful Drive to Lake Myvatn

Today we are trying to cover quite a bit of territory, from Grundardfjordur to Lake Myvatn. In doing so, we are effectively driving from Westfjords Region to Northwestern Region to Northeastern Region. We will be heading mostly eastward, with some period of time driving north or south as the road leads us. The road conditions will be mixed with some good paved road segments and some dirt and sandy/rocky sections. Since the weather had been relative dry (no rain), the road conditions generally had been quite good.

Route Map: From Grundardfjordur to Lake Myvatn

Grundardfjordur to Lake Myvatn – A Spectacular Drive

Today's long drive will be punctuated with some interruptions by photo-ops and pit stops. We do plan to check out the church at Akureyri, before arriving at Lake Myvatn late in the evening.

GPS reception is quite good, but it has no indication of paved road vs dirt road

At the above intersection, we turn right and follow Route 1 toward Akureyri. We began driving on a dirt road for quite sometime. We were blessed with good weather (no rain), otherwise the dirt will become mud!

Decent dirt road – bumpy at times

When it was time to take a break. We stopped at N1 station at Stadarskali. We had lunch and stretched the legs. N1 is located right at the border of Westfjords Region and the Northwestern Region.

Taking a break at N1 Gas Station in Stadarskali

Taking a break at N1 Gas Station in Stadarskali – Lamb soup, fish & chips

Now that we've been refreshed and refueled, time to move on. Somewhere further into the Northwestern Region, east of the village of Blondous, we found lots of wild life on the plain. There is a lake name Svinavatn neaby.

Now into the Northwestern Region

Iceland Ring Road – Pressing on to Lake Myvatn

Iceland Ring Road – Pressing on to Lake Myvatn

Iceland Ring Road – Unlimited awesome landscapes

Akureyri in the Northeastern Region – Akureyrarkirkja

Akureyri in the Northeastern Region

Iceland Ring Road – Tunnel east of Akureyri

Knowing we were running behind, we quickly wrapped up our visit to the Akureyrarkirkja (the church). There are much more to see here and we will reserve them for our next trip.

After crossing the bridge over the Eyjafjorodur, we entered a rather long tunnel, Vaπlageiπargφng WEST. I believe that this might be a "toll road" but couldn't recall having to pay! Hope we have not violated any rules!

The final drive to Lake Myvatn was under dim light to no light as the night approached. Finally we checked in at Icelandair Hotel Myvatn past 9PM.

This chain hotel is a huge improvement over the previous OPO Guesthouse, but still a very basic accommodation at 2x the room rate. The bathroom was very small, ditto the shower area. However, we had a coffee maker, many electrical outlets to charge up devices.

Icelandair Hotel Myvatn in Reykjahlid

Tonight, despite very strong KP index, there was no chance of seeing the Northern Lights due to heavy clouds covering an area of 60 km around. Since we had been on the road all day, we took advantage of this cloudy night to get more rest and sleep.

Next up: Part 09, Explore Lake Myvatn & Godafoss
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Part 09 - Explore Scenic Lake Myvatn & the Powerful Godafoss

Heading out to south Lake Myvatn, Skϊtustaπagνgar and Godafoss

This is going to be a very busy day. We plan to visit the southern part of Lake Myvatn, Skϊtustaπagνgar. We expect to do some hiking and trekking around there. After that, we will move on to see Godafoss (waterfalls of the Gods). Myvatn Nature Baths during the golden hour, and if weather cooperates, the Northern Lights (fingers crossed).

Following Route 848 south on the eastern shore of Lake Myvatn, we made frequent but unplanned photo-op stops. Some parts of the southern lake shore showed off its brilliant fall foliage. The somewhat calm water added further interest in all digital images!

On the way to Skϊtustaπagνgar & Godafoss

On the way to Skϊtustaπagνgar and Godafoss

South Lake Myvatn before Skϊtustaπagνgar

South Lake Myvatn before Skϊtustaπagνgar

Since the driving distance to Skϊtustaπagνgar was not far. Soon we arrived. There was a large parking lot on the north side of Route 848. Very tourists friendly! Parked our car. Pulled out our day-pack (backpack) and off we went on to the trails.

Trail Map

Located in the south west corner of Lake Myvatn, Skϊtustaπagνgar is known for the collection of smaller craters in the area. Local history claims that these craters were formed by gas explosions when boiling lava flowed over the cool, wet surfaces couple of thousand years ago. Hikers and trekkers love the roam these trails that are relative easy courses. The ponds are like mirrors. Calm reflection of the village and mountains are incredible. Far to the east, one can see plenty of geothermal steam columns scattered around the hilly landscape. It is definitely worthy of a visit.

At Skϊtustaπagνgar

At Skϊtustaπagνgar

At Skϊtustaπagνgar

When came lunch time, we walked across the main road to the south side, there was a cafe. Hoping they would have soup. Sure, they had 2 kinds of soaps, lamb and vegetables!

Lunch At Skϊtustaπagνgar

Lunch At Skϊtustaπagνgar

Lunch At Skϊtustaπagνgar

The soups were excellent, hot and delicious. We were told repeatedly that the Icelandic soups are always good, whether it is lamb, fish or veggies. You are always welcome to refill. Soups are served with bread and butter.

After lunch, we refueled the car since there was an Orkan pump right there by the road side. It accepts US issued debit card, in case you wonder.
Now we drove west to Godafoss. Hope to get there for some pre-sunset shots (since we knew we would not be there during sunset).

Arrival at Godafoss

Godafoss

Multiple images of Godafoss

url=https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Assets/Epic-Journeys/Iceland-Ring-Road/Destinations/10-Godafoss/n-sSh4hs/i-FVLFRN8/A]

At 12 meters high and 30 meters wide, Godafoss is the most famous of the Skjαlfandafljσt waterfalls. It is the only one specifically featured on the classic 'Diamond Circle' route.

According to the Sagas, chieftain ήorgeir Ljσsvetningagoπi settled a religious crisis in Iceland by throwing the idols of the Old Norse Gods into the falls to symbolise the nation's conversion to Christianity, wherefrom it gets its name, 'The Waterfall of the Gods'. Certainly, those who witness the sheer beauty of the falls will agree that the name is fitting.

Godoafoss

We did not linger till sunset because we had plan to go soak in the hot spring water of Myvatn Nature Baths tonight. The photo-ops at Godafoss was good. It could have been better if we had more clouds. But, if this cloudless condition persisted tonight, we would have some opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis. Fingers crossed!

Waved good bye to Godafoss – walking back to the car park

After returning to our hotel, we had a snack and some coffee in our room. We quickly changed and prepared for Myvatn Nature Baths this evening. We brought our own large bath towels, flip-flops and the reservation tickets. We arrived at the Baths 10 minutes before our scheduled time. They let us in anyway.

The drive from the hotel to the Baths was about 5 minutes (guessing).

Up next: Part 10 – Sunset at the Marvelous Myvatn Nature Baths
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Part 10 – Sunset at the Marvelous Myvatn Nature Baths

After returning to our hotel, we quickly changed and prepared for the Myvatn Nature Baths. Swimming gears and bath towels etc., we brought.

We pre-booked the Myvatn Nature Baths at the hotel and noted that guests must show up at the appointed time per their booking. The hotel did not charge a commission for this service!

The Baths are only minutes away from the hotel. On the way, you will see some amazing geothermal plants around the area.

Myvatn Nature Baths – A short drive from hotel

Myvatn Nature Baths – Signage in the parking lot

There was no queue at the check in desk, only 2 people were in front. Each guest received a key to the locker (secured by rubber band to your wrist). Quickly we headed to the bath/locker room facilities. A long corridor led us to a separate building, where the men and women locker rooms (and indoor showers) were located. Quickly changed (easier said than done due to levels of clothing) into swimming gears and we were out there into the COLD! But what a gorgeous scene. The golden sunset was at its full glory!

Myvatn Nature Baths - An evening of hot spring bathing under the golden sunset

There were not that many people in the hot pools. So it was easy to roam from on pool to the next. It was so relaxing, and we were so glad that we fit this into our schedule. If you are in this area, don’t miss the Myvatn Nature Baths!

As the evening wore on, the air temperature plummeted, close to freezing. It felt great while in the water. Just to come out of the pool and dash into the locker room may cause hypothermia. It was best to have a large towel or bath robe to cover yourself.
The nature both had been an enjoyable experience. Glad that we did it here rather than the Blue Lagoon. Less people, less expensive and that sunset! We stayed till 9PM. Had some fish soup and salad in the cafe before returning to the hotel.

As it happened, our trip back to the hotel was happily interrupted by an explosive eruption of Aurora Borealis! PTL.

Next Up: Part 11 – A Night of Dancing Aurora Borealis
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Part 11 – A Night of Dancing Aurora Borealis

Roadside watching of Aurora Borealis, in the northeastern shore of Lake Myvatn

As soon as we approached Lake Myvatn, lo and behold, the western skies were blanketed with Northern Lights. It was strong and dancing across from left to right. We were prepared for seeing the Northern Lights tonight due to forecast. So our camera gears were already in the car. We were afraid that it may suddenly disappear, so we pulled the car off the road. Without further delay, I set up my cameras and began shooting. I normally would go seek for a good foreground subject. The fear that the lights would suddenly disappear persuaded me to stay put. Pulled the car carefully off the narrow shoulder of the road, and started shooting!

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/fram...=2&clickable=1

And more images from that night

I kept on shooting and lost track of time. At one point the wind was gusting so strong that my tripod fell. Fortunately my camera seemed ok (checking in the dark with a torch light). I continued until 1 AM. Just like the night in Budir, the Northern Lights were still going strong in all directions, even in the south. By then my hands (with gloves) and my feet were all frozen numb. The hotel was less than 2 minutes away.

I took precaution in the handling of cameras before coming into a warm hotel from the outside to prevent condensation.

Tired but happy to have witnessed such a strong showing of Northern Lights. We went to bed without checking any of the shots.

Up next, Part 12 – The bumpy Drive to Dettifoss
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Part 12 – The Bumpy Drive to Dettifoss

Bumpy road to Dettifoss, then continue to Egilsstadir and Hofn

Early drive - scenic rolling hills

We really enjoyed our time in the Lake Myvatn area. 3 to 4 nights here would allow sufficient time to explore more of the diversified landscape around Lake Myvatn. Since we stayed up quite late for the Arurora Borealis, we got up a bit late as well.

Started the day at 11am. Sunny and cold. Fueled up the car at N1 (a stone's throw from hotel) with debit card. It worked fine. Took 27 litres to fill up. A visitor Center (Myvatnsstofa) and Korbudin market are located in the immediate vicinity. First we checked out the tourist center. One young lady on duty who gladly provided info and answered questions. Quite friendly. The small "supermarket" stocked many fresh items including sandwiches and snacks. We purchased some for the road.

Today's plan included a photo stop at Dettisfoss (the east side of it), a pit stop at Egilsstadur and finally our hotel Fosshotel Vatnajokull near Hofn. A very long day ahead.

Drivng from Myvatn to Dettifoss (East Side Parking Lot)

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Passing by the geothermal area of Hverir

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Passing by the geothermal area of Hverir

Around Hverir, one finds boiling mud pits and fumaroles. After climbing up and descending a mountain pass, the rest of the road was flat and not interesting for many miles. As soon as I said that, the landscape changed again. From boring to interesting. From interesting to WOW!

Our first stop was Dettifoss, with parking on the east side of it. To the west side of the falls requires you to drive on a different Route 862. To get to the East Parking Lot, we drove on the dirt road (aka Road 864) after a left turn from Route 1. This road is in disrepair and is full of big pot holes. Just a one way trip from this junction to Dettifoss would takes 45-50 minutes to cover a distance of 32x2 km. It took longer than Google map would indicate.

Myvatn to Dettifoss – See weird shape mountain

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Over the mountain pass, see more of Hverir

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Diversified landscape in the region

Myvatn to Dettifoss

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Head north on Holsfjallavegur to Dettifoss on Route 864

Myvatn to Dettifoss – Head north on Holsfjallavegur to Dettifoss on Route 864

After crossing this bridge, the dirt road began, and it was real rough and full of holes and rocks. This rough condition prevailed all the way to Dettifoss (32km one way). Hard on the car and the suspension. Fortunately our car made it. Depends on the weather, on a rainy day (or snowy day), I would stay away from this road.

Watch Out - Route 864 is full of pot holes

When we saw this, Dettifoss

We arrived – Road was wet due to the spray from the falls

The mighty Dettifoss

The parking lot was muddy and the outhouse (toilets) was out of order today (workers were on scene working on them).

Is it worth the drive? I don’t think so, given the bad conditions of the road. Furthermore, there are so many waterfalls to see in Iceland and most are just off the main roads. Once there, you will find many ways to hikes and trek to the upper level of the falls. Lots of big boulders found here. I did not notice any way to go down to the river level.

We did not linger too long before we left promptly at 14:40.

Up next, Part 13 – Drive from Dettifoss to Egilsstadir
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:41 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - an absolutely fabulous trip report allset2travel. This is one of these trips that I've always wanted to do, but had considered flying domestically to the north end of the Island. Driving probably does it better justice...

I missed what time of year this trip was? I am guessing October / November based on the colours of some of the leaves and of course the northern lights...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - an absolutely fabulous trip report allset2travel. This is one of these trips that I've always wanted to do, but had considered flying domestically to the north end of the Island. Driving probably does it better justice...

I missed what time of year this trip was? I am guessing October / November based on the colours of some of the leaves and of course the northern lights...
Thank you very much. I am glad you enjoyed the Trip Report.
I was there for 2 weeks, late Sept to early Oct. November would be a bit late for the fall foliage and perhaps much colder. The Northern Lights season is from (based on tones of stuff I read online) 3rd week of Sept to perhaps early Apr, so its a long season.

The road from the capital to the north (shortest is by clockwise direction) is pretty good for any season. I'd prefer driving than flying (assuming time allows). You would see so much more on the road.

Some more amazing report ahead! Please stay tuned.
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.