Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Pre-NYE Winter Warm Up: Bombay, Kerala, Venice, London, Helsinki AC/AI/QR/BA/AY J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-NYE Winter Warm Up: Bombay, Kerala, Venice, London, Helsinki AC/AI/QR/BA/AY J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by gaobest
In 2013 I think we paid 105 for water taxi pre-arranged from our apartment rental to VCE. Then 30 for porter from water taxi to check in because we had 4-5 suitcases (flying business so I use our luggage allowance)
not TOO much inflation then
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for a great report.

Taxi situation in Helsinki is currently quite awful. It used to be strickly regulated and you never had problems with the taxis. Just paid what the meter said (not cheap but trustable). Previous government unleashed most of the regulations and now the situation is horrendous. Locals know which taxis to take, but visitors obviously don't. Most of these unmetered taxis lurk customers in the vincity of Kämp Hotel and railway station. Next time you visit Helsinki, I recommend to use "Taksi Helsinki". You can load their app or call them. From the airport, you can choose between the meter or flat rate (around 40 euros to centrum). Lähitaksi is another option.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy visiting Helsinki, my hometown. This is a very depressing time tourist wise to come here. Dark amd gloomy and no snow (hopefully we get some soon). But once you know you way around and dig deeper, it can be quite interesting experience even during the darkest month of the year. Obvioulsy summer months are another story.

Last edited by teme; Dec 24, 2019 at 3:35 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry, double post.

Last edited by teme; Dec 24, 2019 at 3:35 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
now i know other good beaches to visit in india!

thanks for sharing and loves the style of writing and pictures in separate posts.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
fantastic report, thanks a lot
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Great trip report! Your airline troubleshooting was helpful. I love Venice in winter!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
now i know other good beaches to visit in india!

thanks for sharing and loves the style of writing and pictures in separate posts.
Thanks! Yea, I thought Kerala was significantly nicer than Goa, not as much going on at night of course.

Originally Posted by kosy91
fantastic report, thanks a lot
Glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by brandie
Great trip report! Your airline troubleshooting was helpful. I love Venice in winter!
It certainly seems to be the best season to visit, thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Great photographs! Thank you for the report! Some notes. Clean, deserted beaches can be found in South Goa as well, at least in the fall. Very laid back. I've heard central and northern Goa is not the same. Venice, maybe the weather could be a good reason to visit closer to the summer. Even August wasn't too crowded, IMO. YMMV. Finally Helsinki taxis. Too bad no one understood to warn you. The previous extreme right wing government made several mistakes, although they did manage to revive the economy. They even tried to outsource the public healthcare system into private venture capitalist hands (it is already quite private). The new Finnish government is, maybe subsequently, far left. But once you privatize or free something from government control, in these days it is almost impossible to get it regulated again. Additionally I suspect they may think that taking taxis is only for the rich so why bother...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Great TR - thanks for that!

I had this year the pleasure to fly the QR Q suites for the first time - needless to say that all my flights to India or SE Asia are now via Doha instead of using the lousy BA product....
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Great photographs! Thank you for the report! Some notes. Clean, deserted beaches can be found in South Goa as well, at least in the fall. Very laid back. I've heard central and northern Goa is not the same. Venice, maybe the weather could be a good reason to visit closer to the summer. Even August wasn't too crowded, IMO. YMMV. Finally Helsinki taxis. Too bad no one understood to warn you. The previous extreme right wing government made several mistakes, although they did manage to revive the economy. They even tried to outsource the public healthcare system into private venture capitalist hands (it is already quite private). The new Finnish government is, maybe subsequently, far left. But once you privatize or free something from government control, in these days it is almost impossible to get it regulated again. Additionally I suspect they may think that taking taxis is only for the rich so why bother...
Thanks! Where in South Goa? I stayed at the Leela in S.Goa my first time there and wasn't impressed. Always up for giving it another shot though, please let me know so I can research!

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Great TR - thanks for that!

I had this year the pleasure to fly the QR Q suites for the first time - needless to say that all my flights to India or SE Asia are now via Doha instead of using the lousy BA product....
Glad you enjoyed! I would say Q-Suites blow BA F away so obviously it's not even a competition with the current Club World product. I haven't tried the new BA Club Suite though so perhaps that will put BA back in the discussion.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Thanks! Where in South Goa? I stayed at the Leela in S.Goa my first time there and wasn't impressed. Always up for giving it another shot though, please let me know so I can research!
Arossim Beach. Heritage Village Resort & Spa which may be one of the only all-inclusives there.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Arossim Beach. Heritage Village Resort & Spa which may be one of the only all-inclusives there.
Noted, thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.