Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Elevation and Climate Changes: Three Late Summer Trips

Old Sep 4, 19, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

From the Wasatch Front to the Sacramento Valley
Tour of Duty 16th August 2019 to 28th August 2019
Part I: 16th August to 19th August

After missing out on trips from New Philadelphia, OH to Sparks, NV and Twinsburg, OH to Sulphur, LA I finally settled on a trip from Lehi, UT to West Sacramento, CA. I had booked a trip on WN from LGB to PIT. I got the ticket changed to SLC. I wasn't aware of it at the time but I goofed on the date and alas, when I was going to check in 24 hours before my intended departure, I saw on my phone the flight was boarding. I got the ticket canceled one or two minutes before scheduled departure then I had to phone up Southwest and got ticket on the correct date from LGB to SLC via LAS. This is a huge reason why I like Southwest; there is no penalty for changes. If I was flying any other airline I would have been whacked with huge penalties.

The time came and I got transport to LGB. I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 48.0 and 45.5lbs. I cleared security and did not opt out due to time constraints and my briefcase got additional screening. The total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 17 minutes.

Southwest #2292 LGB-LAS B-737-700 Boarding Pass B30
Seat 21F Cruising altitude 29,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:44, actual 0:45
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 09h15, actual 09h13 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate C5 Scheduled 10h20, actual 10h14 Taxi: 6 minutes

I boarded via rear stairs and the plane was almost full with a load of 140/143. It was announced it was 90F at LAS. Pushback was 2 minutes early and takeoff was to the northwest. We turned left and I saw San Pedro, the Vincent Thomas Bridge and the Port of Los Angeles before we went overwater. We made 2 more lefts and made landfall at 0:06 over the Huntington Harbour/Bolsa Chica/Sunset Beach area of northern Orange County. I had a panoramic view of much of Orange County followed by a panoramic view of much of the San Bernardino County section of the Inland Empire including but not limited to ONT and the Auto Club Speedway. We were over the Mojave Desert by 0:14 and we crossed Interstate 40 at 0:19. We crossed Interstate 15 at 0:21. I saw Baker, CA and felt descent begin at 0:23. Seatbelt sign stayed on the entire flight. I got cup of soda at 0:28. I saw Primm, NV at 0:30 and we turned more due north. We turned east at 0:34 and I saw Nevada 160 and Mountain Springs. We crossed Interstate 15 once more at 0:37 this time heading east. We turned north at 0:40 and west at 0:41 and I saw Lake Mead. We landed east to west and it was a hard landing. We arrived at gate 6 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway. During my layover I got two Nathan's hot dogs for midday rations.

Southwest #2308 LAS-SLC B-737-700 Boarding Pass A56
Seat 23F Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:53, actual 0:53
Depart: Gate C4 Scheduled 11h50, actual 11h51 Taxi: 11 minutes
Arrive: Gate F15 Scheduled 14h15, actual 13h59 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 20-21 minutes after arriva
l

We boarded via jetway after a short delay as the plane needed to be de-fueled as too much fuel was put on. The plane was almost full with a load of 139/143. Pushback was one minute late and takeoff was to the east. I saw the junction of Interstate 515 and 215 then we turned left. I saw Hoover Dam and the new bridge to bypass the dam. Then I saw Lake Mead. I also saw the start of the Grand Canyon and the Virgin River Gorge. At 0:16 drink orders were taken. At 0:17 I saw Interstate 15 and Hurricane, UT including the Walmart Distribution Centre. Then I saw portions of Zion National Park. At 0:21 I saw Cedar City, UT and at 0:22 I saw Parowan, UT. I got cup of soda at 0:27 and accidentally spilled some so I got napkins to wipe it up. I got pretzels at 0:32. At 0:34 I felt descent, and descent was announced. Seatbelt sign stayed on the entire flight. I felt some real good bumps during descent and I saw Utah Lake and Lehi, UT. At 0:50 we crossed Interstate 15. We landed south to north and arrived at gate 16 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway.

After I reclaimed my checked bags I got transport to where the truck was and I phoned the shipper en route and met the shipper. I loaded my gear and did inspection and had to take 30 minutes off duty before getting started on the trip.

Trip: Lehi, UT to West Sacramento, CA 679 miles
Make: 2019 Western Star
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: 78mph/125kph
Route: Interstate 15 to Utah 201 to Interstate 215 to Interstate 80 to Business 80 to US50
Highest elevation: 7,227 feet at Donner Summit Interstate 80 about 10 miles west of Truckee, CA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.399$ per gallon at Flying J Winnemucca, NV
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.039$ per gallon at Flying J Salt Lake City, UT
Permits Required: NV Trip Permit

I got started and got caught in traffic congestion on the 15. I stopped in Salt Lake City to take on fuel. I stopped in the Lake Point/Tooele area for evening rations at Burger King. I continued west on Interstate 80 and the speed limit was 80 though I did not got near that fast at night. I stopped in Wendover, UT and checked into hotel then I took a walk into West Wendover, NV and took some pictures. I spent the night in Wendover, UT.

Saturday I had to wait for my Nevada Trip Permit to become valid then I got started. There were three more 80mph zones on Interstate 80 in Nevada. I found out the truck was governed to 77 or 78mph. I made a pit stop in Wells, NV then I stopped in Elko, NV for midday rations at Port O Subs and I also took pictures of downtown Elko. I continued west and stopped in Battle Mountain, NV to take pictures then I stopped in Winnemucca for evening rations then I took on some fuel due to the burn rate. I ended up spending the night in Lovelock, NV.

Sunday I did not go to morning church in Lovelock, NV due to time constraints on my Nevada Trip Permit. I made a pit stop in Sparks, NV then continued through Reno and entered California. I made a stop at a fairly new truckstop in Soda Springs, CA before getting caught in congestion on the westbound 80 in the Sierra Nevada. There was no doubt a lot of motorists returning to the Sacramento area as well as the Bay Area. I booked a flight from SMF to DEN in anticipation of getting a trip from Brighton, CO to either Corona, CA or Portland, OR. I arrived in Sacramento and parked and booked hotel room then I checked in. I walked to Madison Avenue Baptist Church and attended the Sunday Evening service and heard a message on the Book of Judges chapter 2. Afterward I got settled in and had evening rations at Brookfield Restaurant which consisted of Roast Beef, Creamy Horseradish, Broccoli, French Fries and a Roll and Butter. I spent the night in Sacramento, CA.

Monday I completed delivery. The trips originating in Brighton, CO fell through so I had to rethink my plans. I ended up accepting a trip from Salina, KS to Victor, MT. I got a rental car set up from Brighton, CO to Salina, KS and a hotel room was already set up at Brighton, CO. I got a lift to SMF. I had to wait to check in. I finally checked in and my checked bags weighed 47.5 and 45.5lbs. I cleared security after a queue and opted out and was patted down and my briefcase got additional screening. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 42 minutes. After I cleared security I had evening rations. I went to one place for a burger and fries and another place for Stromboli and soda.

Southwest #6152 SMF-DEN B-737-700 Boarding Pass A54
Seat 22A Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:55, actual 1:52
Depart: Gate B18 Scheduled 20h35, actual 20h27 Taxi: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate C33 Scheduled 23h50, actual 23h31 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 32 minutes after arrival

There was dual boarding where passengers were given the option of boarding via jetway as usual or else walking out an open door and down stairs and across the tarmac to board via rear stairs. I opted for the latter and boarded via rear stairs. The plane was almost full with a load of 129/143. It was announced it was 81F and overcast at DEN. Pushback was 8 minutes early and takeoff was to the south. We crossed Interstate 5 then turned east. Drink order was taken at 0:21. I got Ritz Bits at 0:28. At 0:39 I got cup of soda. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:50. At 1:00 I saw the lights of the Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo area to the distance. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:12. At 1:15 it was announced the cabin would be cleaned up early due to expected turbulence on descent into DEN. I felt descent begin at 1:22 and I felt bumps at 1:38. I saw the lights of Denver at 1:41. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 19 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway.

After I reclaimed my bags I got transport to hotel and spent the night in Brighton, CO.

My ride from Lehi, Utah to West Sacramento, California
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
WN2292 LGB-LAS 16th August 2019

Some pictures of Southwest Airlines flight from Long Beach to Las Vegas

Port of Los Angeles and Vincent Thomas Bridge

Interstate 405 and Westminster Mall

Anaheim Stadium

California 91

Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario and ONT Ontario International Airport

Auto Club Speedway Fontana, California

Junction of Interstate 15 and 215

San Bernardino Mountains

Baker, California

Solar panels at the California/Nevada border

Nevada 160 Mountain Springs

Interstate 15 and Nevada 146 south side of the Las Vegas area

Lake Mead

One of my bags
graffiti likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:12 am

Judging by your ground transport, this must be a business trip, right?
Btw the lowest diesel price must've been for the state, not for USA. The price is much lower where I live (currently $2.55-$2.65 for the good stuff: Chevron/Shell, etc)
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:23 am
Original Poster

WN2308 LAS-SLC 16th August 2019

Some pictures of Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City

Stratosphere Tower and Terminal B during taxi at LAS

The south side of The Strip during taxi at LAS

Lake Mead

Hoover Dam and the bridge bypassing the dam

southern Utah

southern Utah

Utah Lake

Lehi, Utah

Salt Lake City area

Salt Lake City area

Crossing Interstate 80 on final approach to SLC

One of my bags
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:29 am
Original Poster

West Wendover, Nevada

Some pictures of West Wendover, Nevada

Old Sep 4, 19, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Elko, Nevada

Some pictures of Elko, Nevada

graffiti likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Judging by your ground transport, this must be a business trip, right?
Btw the lowest diesel price must've been for the state, not for USA. The price is much lower where I live (currently $2.55-$2.65 for the good stuff: Chevron/Shell, etc)
Business trip is correct. Lowest diesel price was the lowest for that particular trip not for the USA and possibly not for the state.
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:15 am
Original Poster

An Eventful Trip to Big Sky Country

Part II: 20th August to 26th August

I awoke in Brighton, Colorado to fair weather on Tuesday the 20th of August. I had a late start due to my very late arrival the night before. I got a ride to the rental car company. I got the rental car a bit later than I originally wanted. It took me longer to reach Interstate 70 because I took various local roads to avoid taking the E-470 toll road and I did not want to take Interstate 76 to double back into Denver and away from my destination. Before I left Brighton I got unleaded for 2.159$ per gallon. I got a few drops of rain while the sky was mostly sunny just west of Limon, CO. I made a pit stop in Limon and saw thunderclouds building up. I stopped and took some pictures of Flagler, CO then took pictures of Kanorado, KS before stopping in Goodland, KS and having evening rations at Steak and Shake. I had a good light show and experienced brief heavy rain near Brewster, KS. Brewster, KS is on Interstate 70 in far western Kansas where the time zone changes from Mountain Time to Central Time. I stopped in Colby, KS for more fuel and made the mistake of using the ethanol-free at 2.729$ per gallon. There was some off and on rain between Brewster and WaKeeney, KS along with a light show. I spent the night in WaKeeney, KS.

Wednesday I had a late start and I barely avoided more storms. I stopped and took some pictures of Russell, KS. then I continued on to Salina and dropped off the car and got a ride to the shipper. I was given the location of the truck and the truck needed a boost in order to start. I loaded my gear and did the inspection and alas I felt something I should not have near my right elbow and I saw a bumble bee on my shirt sleeve. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and the bumble bee stung me through my shirtsleeve. I imagine that the shirtsleeve kept the sting from being as bad as it might have otherwise and I ended up killing the bee. I concluded the inspection and got signed off and was good to go.

Trip: Origin of Salina, KS. Intended destination of Victor, MT Diverted to Missoula, MT 1,352 paid miles
Make: 2013 Kenworth
Model: Road Tractor, Daycab (no sleeper)
Governed Speed: 71mph/114kph
Route: Interstate 70 to Kansas 27 to Nebraska 27 to US34 to US385 to Colorado 11 to Interstate 80 to US385 to Nebraska 92 to US26 to Interstate 25 to Interstate 90 to US93 to US10
Highest elevation: 6,393 feet at Homestake Pass Continental Divide Interstate 90 about 10 miles east of Butte, MT
Highest diesel price USA: 2.869$ per gallon at Pilot/Town Pump Billings, MT
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.799$ per gallon at Pilot Salina, KS and Colby, KS
Permits Required: NE, WY and MT Trip Permits

I headed to the nearby Pilot to take on fuel and I took a break there before heading west. I made a pit stop in Bunker Hill, KS and took pictures of the sunset there. I stopped in Hays, KS and had evening rations at Whiskey Creek Wood Fire Grill. I ended up spending the night in WaKeeney, KS.

Thursday there was light rain to start in WaKeeney, KS but I got out of that rather quickly. I stopped and took pictures of Oakley, KS. I stopped in Colby, KS to top off the fuel. I did not really need fuel but I wanted to see how the fuel economy was. Somewhere between Colby, KS and Goodland, KS I saw that there were diagnostic fault codes being thrown. Something was wrong so I stopped in Goodland and notified dispatch and was told to call someone else and to make a long story short I was ultimately told to proceed. I took two-lane roads and stopped in Wray, CO to stretch out and take some pictures of that town. Then I continued north on US385 and made a pit stop in Holyoke, CO. There was a thunderstorm and rain from Holyoke, CO to Julesburg, CO. I finally got on Interstate 80 and headed west and immediately got into a construction zone. I got off the Interstate in Sidney, NE and checked into my hotel and there was an issue as the first room I was assigned was partially flooded. I was given another room assignment which was satisfactory. Afterward I took a walk to Perkins where I had evening rations. I was the last customer served before that place closed at midnight. I spent the night in Sidney, NE.

Friday I had a late start and after a phone call I headed to the Sidney Regional Medical Centre and paid a surprise visit to Bootwearer Preacher who was there due to medical issues. This was the first time in over a decade that I saw Bootwearer Preacher. His grandson was also there and I met him for the first time. After the visit I headed to downtown Sidney and took some pictures and it started to rain. I left and got out of the rain pretty quickly as I headed north on US385 then west on Nebraska 92. I stopped at the Chimney Rock Natural Historic Site near Bayard, NE. I paid the admission of 3$ and I took some pictures then I headed to Scottsbluff, NE where I took pictures of that city and I had late afternoon/early evening rations at Jimmy John's. By the time I was ready to leave Scottsbluff the skies were cloudy and before I got out of Scottsbluff I encountered heavy thunderstorm activity with torrential rain. The thunderstorm activity continued through Morrill, NE and Mitchell, NE into Wyoming and it started to let up in Torrington, WY. I made a pit stop in Torrington before proceeding to the Port of Entry where I got Wyoming Trip Permit. The rain quit and I continued to Interstate 25 where I headed north. I spent the night in Evansville, WY.

Saturday when I fired up I saw another diagnostic fault code saying Engine Derate. I wanted to see if that was really the case so I got on the Interstate and drove three miles to a truckstop. I was able to do the governed speed so I concluded that it was a false code and I opted not to bother after hours dispatch about it but notify dispatch on Monday. I got underway and made a stop in Kaycee, WY where I took pictures and had midday rations. I stopped in Buffalo, WY and Sheridan, WY and took pictures of those respective cities before getting Montana Trip Permit at a weigh scale before leaving Wyoming. I stopped in Hardin, MT and had evening rations at McDonalds and while I was eating there was a rain shower. The rain quit by the time I was done. Between Hardin and Billings I saw a light show and there was some rain. There were issues with the first room assigned to me at the hotel I was staying so I was assigned another room and got a late checkout. I was also up late doing laundry. I spent the night in Billings, MT.

Sunday I got underway too late for morning church. I stopped in Columbus, MT and took pictures of that town. I took pictures of Bozeman, MT and proceeded to Butte, MT where I attended evening service at Old Fashion Baptist Church. After church I took some pictures of downtown Butte then proceeded to truckstop in nearby Rocker, MT and found that there was major construction where a new rotary was being built. I had evening rations then proceeded west on Interstate 90 and I spent the night in Deer Lodge, MT.

Monday morning I notified dispatch and the receiver about the fault codes. Dispatch told me to wait for an answer about where to go as the receiver was not going to take the truck in its condition with fault codes. I got word to divert to a dealership in Missoula, MT so I proceeded there and after I arrived I was told to end the trip there. That diversion made it possible for me to catch a bus out of Missoula that very same afternoon. I got transport to the bus depot in Missoula and bought a ticket to Spokane, Washington. For some reason the agent had some sort of computer issue so I ended up not being charged the usual 15$ for a second checked bag. I barely had time to use the washroom before the bus arrived, my checked bags were put into the hold and I boarded.

Jefferson Lines #0941 Missoula, MT to Spokane, WA
Depart: Scheduled 15h15, actual 15h27
Arrive: Scheduled 16h05, actual 17h58
Reclaim checked bags immediatly after disembarking

*This was a rather scenic ride. There was a fair amount of construction on Interstate 90 in Montana and some in Idaho. We made intermediate stops in Kellogg, ID and Coeur d'Alene, ID. I got off briefly to stretch out in Kellogg, ID but everyone stayed on in Coeur d'Alene, ID. The load was very light with only 6 to 8 passengers. We left Missoula 12 minutes late and arrived in Spokane 7 minutes early. I reclaimed my bags and took the lift downstairs and headed out to get transport to hotel.

After I checked into hotel I took a walk throughout much of Spokane, WA and I took 100 pictures of Spokane. I had evening rations at Dick's Hamburger Stand and I spent the night in Spokane, WA.

Bunker Hill, Kansas sunset 21st August 2019
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Kanorado, Kansas

Some pictures of Kanorado, Kansas

Old Sep 5, 19, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Wray, Colorado

Some pictures of Wray, Colorado

Old Sep 5, 19, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Sidney, Nebraska

Some pictures of Sidney, Nebraska

Old Sep 5, 19, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Chimney Rock National Historic Site near Bayard, Nebraska

Some pictures taken near Chimney Rock

Old Sep 6, 19, 3:16 am
Original Poster

A Trip Down the Central Valley of California

Part III: 27th August to 28th August

I awoke bright and early on Tuesday the 27th of August in Spokane, Washington. I went downstairs and had morning rations free of charge before I finished my preparations and then I got the hotel shuttle to GEG Spokane Airport. I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 47.5 and 44.5lbs. I cleared security after a queue and did not opt out due to time constraints. Neither of my carry on items received additional screening. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 29 minutes.

Southwest #1982 GEG-SMF B-737-700 Boarding Pass A4 Business Select
Seat 3A Cruising altitude 40,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:26, actual 1:26
Depart: Gate A13 Scheduled 10h15, actual 10h26 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate B20 Scheduled 12h05, actual 12h07 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 16-18 minutes after arrival

There were many pre-boarders; I estimate at least 10 and maybe 12 people on wheelchairs who had to be individually boarded first so boarding took longer than usual. The plane was mostly but not totally full with a load of 126/143. Because boarding took so long pushback was 11 minutes late. Takeoff was to the east then a turn to the south and south southwest. I did not see downtown Spokane as we appeared to be directly overhead but I saw part of the Spokane area and Interstate 90. I also saw part of the Palouse starting at 0:03. I saw the Snake River at 0:12 then at 0:17 I saw Walla Walla, WA. I got pretzels at 0:18. At 0:20 I saw Interstate 84 just east of Pendleton, OR as well as the section of Interstate known to truckers as "Cabbage Hill" and the Blue Mountains. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:23 over eastern Oregon. I got cup of soda at 0:27. I felt descent begin at 1:03. I saw Lake Almanor at 1:06. I forgot to record exactly when seatbelt sign went on during the descent. Later I saw Oroville Lake. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 2 minutes late. I deplaned via jetway though dual deplaning was offered where passengers were allowed to exit via the rear stairs, walk across the tarmac and ascend stairs into the jetway.

After I reclaimed my checked bags I was confused about where to go to get the Uber I ordered as the location was changed to a very inconvenient location especially for those with luggage. I lugged my gear and hopped into the car and headed to the shipper. The truck had to be located and a couple of other trucks had to be moved before I could get the one assigned to me out. I loaded my gear and did the safety inspection and was good to go.

Trip: Dixon, CA to Bakersfield, CA 295 paid miles
Make: 2019 Freightliner
Model: Boom Truck
Governed speed: unknown, maximum legal speed for this type of truck 55mph in California
Route: Interstate 80 to US50 to Interstate 5 to California 33 to California 152 to California 99
Highest elevation: unknown but Bakersfield, CA is listed at 406 feet
Highest diesel price USA: 3.999$ per gallon at Chevron Dixon, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.459$ per gallon at Big B's Earliamart, CA

It was hot but dry in the Sacramento area. The pickup was actually in Dixon, CA but it was still about 105F, hot and dry. I headed to the nearest truckstop which was just on the other side of the Interstate. I took on five gallons of fuel to make sure I had enough fuel to make it to the Flying J in Lodi, CA. It was a good thing that I did. I encountered traffic jams on Interstate 80 and that cost me considerable time. By the time I was approaching the truckstop in Lodi, the yellow low fuel warning light was illuminated. I took on fuel in Lodi then headed to Lathrop to get evening rations but I was too late as the place just closed on me. So I headed down to Westley where I got evening rations. I had to settle for Brisket instead of Tri Tip. Afterward I continued south and exited Highway 33 south and the first place I parked at for lodging which was in Santa Nella, CA turned out to be full up. I opted to ensure there was suitable parking before booking room due to the size of this truck. Therefore I headed east on California Highway 152 to Los Banos, CA for my second choice of lodging and I was able to manoeuvre to get the truck parked safely and I was able to book a room. I spent the night in Los Banos, CA.

Wednesday I continued east on the 152 then south on the 99. I stopped and took on some fuel in Madera, CA due to the fuel burn rate. Then I continued south and I stopped at Bravo Farms in Traver, CA for midday rations and this time I did have Tri Tip. Afterward I stopped in Earliamart, CA to take on a few more gallons of fuel then I continued south on the 99 and arrived in Bakersfield for execution of delivery and conclusion of this trip. It was hot and dry with temperature of 104F/40C. A fellow "Benedict Arnold" signed for the truck then I got transport to the Amtrak Station.

Upon arrival at the Amtrak Station I checked in and bought my ticket. There was barely time to use one of the temporary washrooms which were outside. Then I went to the bus and it was not long before I boarded.

Amtrak #5814 Thruway Bus BFD-LAX
Depart: Scheduled 18h05, actual 18h06
Arrive: Scheduled 20h35, actual 20h18

The bus was lightly loaded and left Bakersfield one minute late and after an uneventful ride it arrived 17 minutes early at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. After I disembarked I got a hot dog wrapped in pretzel at Wetzel's Pretzels. Then I headed to the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge as I had a Business Class ticket for the next segment. I ate the hot dog and had complimentary snacks and drinks in the Lounge. The Lounge was quite crowded with passengers waiting for another train besides mine. I feel that access to the Metropolitan Lounge was well worth the 10$ extra for the Business Class ticket not only because of the complimentary snacks but also I was able to use the washroom in peace, something that would not have been possible downstairs. In addition an Amtrak "Red Cap" gave me a ride on a golf cart to the side of the train.

Amtrak #796 Pacific Surfliner LAX-FUL
Depart: Scheduled 22h22, actual 22h24
Arrive: Scheduled 22h51, actual 22h52
Reclaim checked bags 4 minutes after arrival

After I boarded I was given a complimentary snack pack and shortly later a complimentary soft drink. The train left two minutes late and arrived in Fullerton one minute late. After I reclaimed my checked bags I got transport home to finish this tour of duty.

My ride from Dixon, California to Bakersfield, California
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Sheridan, Wyoming

Some pictures of Sheridan, Wyoming

Old Sep 6, 19, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Bozeman, Montana

Some pictures of Bozeman, Montana

Search this Thread