Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uncle T flies LoCo - and survives.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by T8191
And we discovered the Smoking Zone … a ghastly little area (near Gate 7, tucked away behind “The Beer House”). Entrance fee £1 at a turnstile, which didn’t re-lock so we only paid for one! And the Exit door seemed broken too, as someone came in that way!

You have to pay one pound just to access a shed to smoke at LBA?

Thanks for posting, fun read!
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
You have to pay one pound just to access a shed to smoke at LBA?

Thanks for posting, fun read!
i think it was Arthur smith who speculated a few years ago that one day you’d only be allowed to smoke if you went to a shed somewhere on the isle of dogs and agreed to have social workers beat you with sticks while you had your fix

looks like LBA are leading the charge in that direction
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Sounds like a good trip, Uncle T! If you want some flashbacks, ITV (I think...) are running a short series 'Yorkshire Airport' at the moment
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by krispy84
Glad you survived Uncle T.

As much as I like my status and CE perks, I find it difficult to ignore a cheap and convenient direct flight on a LCC.
I agree. Most often I fly GLA-LHR/LGW- ELSEWHERE but last week did a direct GLA-AGP return with Jet 2 and was very impressed with how well check in and inflight service was organised. Flew 2C/D to avoid having no bulkhead in row 1 and to be honest didn't miss my 1A/C with BA by comparison.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR as usual - LCC are fine if you know what to expect - and for short hops. We do SYD MEL etc on LCC - as long as you follow the rules its not hard, but anything over 4 hours and we insist on Business.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
That TR was reet nice!
T8191 and masmadrid like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Sounds like a good trip, Uncle T! If you want some flashbacks, ITV (I think...) are running a short series 'Yorkshire Airport' at the moment
Oh yes, we had been following that as essential pre-travel indoctrination!
mikeyfly and Tocsin like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:58 pm

Why the return LBA-JER sector? Why on earth would you want to leave Yorkshire??
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR as usual - LCC are fine if you know what to expect - and for short hops. We do SYD MEL etc on LCC - as long as you follow the rules its not hard, but anything over 4 hours and we insist on Business.
Re-reading this, I now recall doing SYD-CBR back in 1988 in a Ansett ATR-72 with an "Australian of Size" jamming me against the cabin wall!

I'm grateful it was a short sector ... I'd already done UK-HKG-BKK-SYD!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by T8191
Re-reading this, I now recall doing SYD-CBR back in 1988 in a Ansett ATR-72 with an "Australian of Size" jamming me against the cabin wall!

I'm grateful it was a short sector ... I'd already done UK-HKG-BKK-SYD!
From Memory Ansett never had any ATR's but they did have some Bae 146's so maybe that was the aircraft - but yes a fairly short sector, I did it in November last year on a SQ 777 i think it was about 25 mins in the air, I got a packaged sandwich and a glass of Charles Heidsieck, as well as a PDR of the same, and a more substantial meal after departing CBR for SIN
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF WP
They had various other turboprops though- could have been an F27 or perhaps a Saab 340
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Elasticated retaining nets in the overhead lockers reminds me of some Greyhound buses in the USA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:43 am

We travel with Jet2 at least twice a year to Menorca from Manchester/East Midlands/Leeds, I find them to be really quite good. We always go for the extra legroom seats (although it's usually row 17, so 737-800 I guess) and find the space to be really good for the two hour flight. I especially like that the tray table folds down from the seat in front instead of coming out of the arm rest as it seems to on some other carriers. The crew are always pleasant and friendly.

Minus points for having to have your Kindle off and Jess Glynne playing incessantly, and those two chirpy Yorkshire folk on the recording who keep sticking their oar in, but for the price and their flight times I really can't complain. Glad you enjoyed it.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

“Enjoyed” is slightly overstating it!

But clearly Jet2 does have some support here on FT, and I would certainly agree it’s acceptable for short journeys. But, as always, it’s not just the price (which is good) but also if it goes from/to the right places! And the majority of our travel is long-haul, in Business class, which rather limits their utility for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.