I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am a traveler, like my father before me. Around the world in F & J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
An epic, fun, funny, heartwarming TR - so glad you are sharing this!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Would love to know more about his OC shop.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/com-ga-nam-an-westminster

it's item #1 on the menu "Nam An's Style Chicken Rice". I recommend going with "mix white-dark meat, no skin".
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by Madone59
Years ago, I ended my 2015 Thailand trip report with a little bit of a throwaway line while reflecting on sitting upstairs on a Lufthansa 747, which was: “I use a 1990's 81C ticket stub from my father as a book mark, I wonder if it was the same aircraft?” I doubt that line sunk in, if it was noticed at all, being at the end of a photo heavy and writing quality light report. Really that line was for me and not you, a line to preserve in time the reason I was there, on that plane – my father.

If you’ve ever wondered why I love Hong Kong so much, then I’m sorry to have occupied any real estate in your mind but my passion for the city should be coming into focus. Growing up it was where serious people went to do serious work. Where important people had important meetings and did important things. It was a far-flung hub on the other side of the planet, like a counter balance to Manhattan; where my dad had to go for work.

Finally, in 2018 the plea to help me spend a big batch of Alaska Airlines miles got him over the edge and we had a plan.

Next Up, Chapter 1: Flatbeds and flashlights
I've only read the intro and already have tears in my eyes. Such an eloquent love letter to both travel and those you hold dear. Cannot wait to read the rest of this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Great TR and writing ! Thanks for sharing !
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Part 4: Little India

Our last day in Singapore started back in the hotel lounge where my father felt at home, with some eggs and a few strips of bacon. After the Changi Village field trip I wasn't pushing my luck with another 'off campus' breakfast. While in hindsight we really didn't venture too far out of the same areas during the trip I feel like we saw so much while at the same time leaving a lot on the table. I guess that's how short trips are. You never really dedicate a whole day to going a little further, and try to cram as many sights in that you can. That being said, after breakfast we were on the bus (YES, bus! I convinced my dad not take a taxi) and heading back towards the Marina Bay Sands area to see the Merlion.

A beautiful morning with the Singapore Cricket club in the foreground

The financial district

The Esplanade Bridge

Triple Selfie in Black and White

Crossing the bridge

MBS

Esplanade Theater, which is designed to look like Durian

Merlion, The!

Smile beach ball

Seeking shelter from the heat we walked the "grueling" less than 3/4 of a mile around the bay and over the helix bridge to the MBS mall. I don't know if it was the travel, or the heat, or the hotel breakfast but the old man was sweating like the guy from midnight express and was in dire need for some air conditioning.

Our stop gave me an opportunity to introduce my father to something I knew he had never seen before haute couture for children! Now this man has been around the world, he flew on the concord more than once, he has seen some stuff in his day but he's never seen $500 baby shoes or the modern ultra F-You money shopping of Singapore or Dubai. I felt it was my duty, as his son to show him these things, and get him fired up.

He hit maximum aghast when I pretended to shop for a $900 Gucci sweater for my 18 month old son, so I walked him a few stores over into a store he would like to shop for some scotch....that made things worse

Anyone need a double mag of Cristal? It's only $15,000 (US)

Having spent enough time cooling down he was ready to find lunch, so I recommended a dramatic juxtaposition by way of a trip to Little India *hails a cab*. Our first stop was really the last must see on my list - the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple. Having been there before my dad chose to ride the bench while I removed my shoes and headed inside the amazing hive of shrines and activity. A quick aside: Unlike the Toth Temple which had a very clear tourist economy SV did not appear to. I was not the only person taking photos, and was never told not to take photos but in case I photographed something I shouldn't have I do apologize in advance. I followed the flow of the crowd and took pictures along the way. So, posted without comment, the beautiful Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple.

The mindbogglingly complex exterior:

OK, it was lunch time. Time to wonder up the road and follow our noses.

I do love Northern Indian food....and sarcasm...so this was probably a good idea for lunch

A lil' lassi to cool me down

Tarka Dahl, chicken biryani, garlic naan. That'll do!

Very full, very happy, and very impressed that my dad ate the dahl, we headed back out for a talk and towards the legendary Mustafa Shopping Center
Get in the zone! Little India's auto zone!

Shout out, home town Rochester, New York!!

A delicious looking motorcycle

Unfortunately I didn't get to wonder around Little India as much as I wanted too. Four days in and my dad and I still aren't on the same page. When I said "let's go see Mustafa's" he sees the destination as the goal, and I am looking to wonder there aimlessly with no urgency to arrive so as I would stop and take pictures he would get frustrated that we were not "moving towards out Goal." Maybe next time I'll say "let's see how long we can walk without turning left" or something so the goal is to keep walking around.

If you've never been to Mustafa's or don't even know what it is you've got to go. Imagine Costco, Target, Walmart, K-Mart, The Dollar Store, Best Buy, Canal St. in New York City, and a Flea Market had a 500lb love child THEN crammed it into a 100lb bag. That is Mustafa Shopping Center - wall to wall everything!

As we wondered aimlessly down our Nth aisle, bumping into people, feeling like a salmon going the wrong way my dad broke. Not in a bad way, he didn't start yelling or pushing people, but he was just done - looked at me and said "I've had enough." Now, I don't often make a point of schadenfreude, but on behalf of my mother "HA!" This man stops at ever garage sale, market, and random purveyor of junk on earth. He knows the managers at the local Marshall's because he checks the sale racks so often! But it was here, with me in Singapore where he had enough looking at random stuff for sale, and as one of his three kids I find great pride in being the one who found his "S*** shopping" limit, and found great delight in sharing this information with my sisters.

Taxi back to the hotel, another dip in the pool and a shower later before I knew it, it was time for dinner. We were planning on meeting my fathers friend again, who would be driving us to my fathers second favorite meal on earth, and my soon to be favorite; chili crab! Dinner was at Long Beach UDMC Seafood. We headed to East Coast park just before sunset, and I immediately regretted not bringing my bigger lens as we were greeted by a field of ships waiting to access the port.

Sunset

"No, After you."

Future food

My dad elbows me joking "I flew from Rochester for Canadian Seafood??"

Deep fried cuttlefish

Prawns

Chili crab - the greatest gift the ocean has ever given man. It's sweet, spicy, savory, perfectness all in a hard shell that makes you work for it's goodness.

Completely full, completely happy, and completely in love (with chili crab) it was time to call it a night. Singapore is so many things, many of which only need to be described as delicious, but for us tonight it was home. In my opinion eating with friends who feel like family, is one of the greatest things we can participate in. Tonight the stories were even better. The guards were down. No one was worrying about who used the be the accountant and who used the be the salesman, no one was worrying what time had done to the others personality, or memory; simply no one was worried at all. We sat and laughed and talked about family, friends, astrology, and time as if chili crab was their monthly guys night out routine. Leaving Singapore, and my fathers friend was hard...the hand shakes were extra strong. I didn't know when we started this trip, that this man came with my dad from a previous employer to his last. They hadn't just been friends since the late 1980's, they had been friends since the late 1970's! The guy didn't just know me as a kid, he knew me before I did, and when we said goodbye it didn't feel good. It felt permanent.

Next Part 5: An A380, and playing Augusta National

Last edited by Madone59; Apr 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:51 am

Not everyday that you a read a TR and see a picture of your office! Hope you enjoyed your time in SG.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by taglin138
Not everyday that you a read a TR and see a picture of your office! Hope you enjoyed your time in SG.
Same here!

im loving this report - got my ninth visit to singapore in the last four years next month, and I’d never heard of Mustafa’s. Is now on the list
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
wonderful pics of singapore that i never got to see or do in my previous trips but have now added to the list. did you happen to try Ah Tai Hainanese Chicken Rice which is 3 or 4 stalls down from Tian Tian? The owner used to work at TT and its similar to TT - created a mild war of who's chicken rice is better. also, spot on with the humour.
We did not get to Ah Tai chicken rice but it's now on my list! Thanks for the recommend and I am glad you're enjoying the TR ^

Originally Posted by chongl
Indeed...I saw the qualy times and said...well I guess that's a wrap for the season. Your report is holding me over while I count down for my own trip!
I'm happy to help, and will look forward to reading about your trip!

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
This is brilliant and is alone worth the price of admission I'm enjoying to TR greatly and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Glad you're enjoying KevinCrumbs!

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
As someone who has just got back from a trip to Austin with my own father (Not sure I took enough photos to warrant doing a TR myself), this report has tugged at exactly the same heart strings and had me rolling my eyes at some of the exact same ‘dad behaviour’ - I don’t think I’ve ever said “What are you doing now?” so many times in 4 days as I did on that trip

Great stuff, looking forward to more
I'm so glad you're enjoying and got to take a similar trip too! I encourage you to write a TR. You don't need a lot photos, I just used them to distract from my poor grammar and writing LOL

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Great report. I had to laugh at this. I always have a flashlight with me, on any trip. Ledlenser P5. Has come in very handy at times!
Thanks. FYI his light is a pelican, and I'll let him know he's got support here on FT

Originally Posted by miuk
If you're ever back in the OC area, there's actually a Vietnamese guy that does a pretty good Chicken rice. He used to go to Singapore for work back in the day and loved the chicken rice, so after retiring, he set up his shop selling chicken rice. As a Malaysian living in SoCal, his chicken rice has my stamp of approval.
Awesome, thank you! I am heading to San Diego in a few weeks and will try to get up there for lunch if I can.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Thank you OP for the great mixture of trip report and awesome journey with emotions with your Dad; reminds me of the chicken rice at Singapore couple years ago.

PS: you learn something new everyday: Shimano also produces fishing gears (as a cyclist I use their components on my bike, but fishing??)
My pleasure, I am glad you are enjoying. As far as I have been told Shimano is far more of a fishing company than a cycling company - but I too learned of them through cycling (ie: my FT name)

Tian Tian Chicken Rice is to die for. Done this once and am so looking forward to going back in July with batmandds, on the same day we are flying to Bangkok and doing the 27 course tasting menu at Gaggan.
I'll be looking forward to that Trip Report!!!!

LOL. I'm most impressed that you were able to find the exact spot. Sorry, but I think Auntie Eleanor wins this one.
Oh, she wins for sure. Luckily the ol' google machine helped me find the spot.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
My pleasure, I am glad you are enjoying. As far as I have been told Shimano is far more of a fishing company than a cycling company - but I too learned of them through cycling (ie: my FT name)
That's the something new I learned today. As my bike is from its domestic competitor, it really did not come to my mind first - but I should have known from that unique name of Trek....

Without pushing the topic off, hope you enjoy your time on and off the tarmac
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
After taking more pictures of asphalt than I am willing to admit, blessing the track for Lewis Hamilton AND blowing kisses to the spot where both Ferrari's crashed in 2017 as a loving middle finger to my friend @JohnRain it was time for lunch.
Fortunately I'll be at the exact same spot in two weeks with a voodoo doll...nuff said
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Part 5: An A380, and playing Augusta National

Months earlier I had booked us on SQ856 hoping to score two first class seats. I had flown this same segment in 2017 when I took a solo first class trip around the world - please excuse the shameless plug for another trip report - knew it was an easy award get and also knew it's where SQ flew their latest and greatest aircraft/ configurations. Because of the new very swanky and small(er) SQ F cabin two seats never opened, so we were "stuck" with business class which was more than great! My dad wanted to be up at out the door early for our 09:55 departure "in case of heavy [Sunday] morning traffic" so my first good night of sleep was interrupted by a 06:00 alarm. No surprise the lobby was empty, as were the roads to the airport.

Bye bye Tang Plaza

Zoom

Before we knew it we were at Changi Airport with plenty of time to spare

We took a wonder through the butterfly garden

We saw some airplanes

Not wanting to pay the crazy exchange fee from Singapore to Hong Kong dollars I felt my money was better spent on food so I headed upstairs to the second level "street food" food court. See you can tell it's authentic because there are light posts

After a quick bite I met my dad in the gigantic Business class lounge

Yo, it's too early for all the Gin, Johnny and Jack to be gone! Pump the breaks everyone. Pump the breaks.

After a very short sit it was time to head to our gate, through security and onto my dad's first A380

*Walking onto the plane*
"Wow! Dan, this is huge. How do we get upstairs?"

"Dad, we are upstairs"

"No, you said we're sitting on the upper deck, we didn't go any steps like in the 747's. How do we get up stairs?

"Dad, we are on the upper deck, look out the window. The jet bridge is inclined."

"..................cooooooool"

The menu for today's flight

Some wonderful views on our way out

Waving good bye to the queen, and Singapore

My view

Enjoying a little lunch. There is not much to say about this flight - it was SQ perfect. The service was impeccable to the point where my father got up and came back to my seat to thank me for booking this segment. He was really taken back by the quality of the business class product and the service. I'll admit I appreciated the nod.

Our reflection in Hong Kong

Off the plane, through customs and reunited with our bags dad did not want to take the train due to what I later found out was a miss communication with his friend regarding the price of train tickets. My dad took the two round trip tickets price and confused it for a inflated one way per person price. Not looking for an argument, I let lead the way and pay for a cab. He lived and learned.

Following the Clampett's into town

We decided to step it up a level for our three days in Hong Kong and stayed at my favorite, the JW Marriott. Since the last time I was there the two story 33rd floor lounge has been converted into guest rooms and I was lucky enough to get the harbor view that used to be the top corner of the lounge!

Welcome Tea

Room

View and reflection

As it was late in the afternoon we decided an early dinner would be in order so we headed to Yung Kee for some roast goose.

Tea

Dinner

As our tea cups, plates and chops-sticks clicked and clinked I looked up at my dad and broke the silence only a good meal can create.

"This is my Augusta National Dad."

I tried bringing this up a few times before we started the trip, but it just didn't stick. I tried months before, I tried weeks before, I tried days before and had zero success getting through to him.

"Do you understand that this meal is playing Augusta National for me?"

"I am sitting HERE with YOU eating THIS FOOD.......under the same moon! This isn't low level home town USA Chinese food, this is a dinner on Hong Kong that I ordered and there isn't a fork in sight."

My dad smiled "It is a good meal, I am glad we're here too."

"Ya, I am glad we're too here but do you remember when we were kids and were being picky at the dinner table you'd say in an over exaggerated dad voice "Ohhhh you can't travel with me to China if you're not going to eat [that]. In china they eat (fill in something that sounds scary to an American kid ie: chicken feet)" That sunk in, that stuck and here I am eating with you in China err...Hong Kong."

*dad smiles*

"I know you feel like you missed a lot while you were in the air, you probably did, and you've told me to reflect on that now that I am a father and growing in my career but I don't remember a single little league game or school recital. I remember wanting to eat this food, in this city, with you. I tried to tell you this before the trip because I didn't want to spring it on you, but thank you for shrinking the world and for fueling my desire to explore it. I could be out the game tomorrow dad, and be OK with it because I had this meal....thank you."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" he replied

"Remember when The Mrs. and I called you from the air phone on the way to our Honeymoon? I tried, you didn't get it, so I had to show you."

*dad smiles* The check arrived.

Full of food, and emotion we wondered out into central to burn off some of the goose, which I have to say is not as good as duck, and take in come of the city.

Work nap

Fancy

Aching for bed we headed back to the JW for a well needed night of sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day.

Next Part 6: All the noodles!

Last edited by Madone59; Jun 9, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold 50k, UA, Marriott - Silver, OMNI Select Guest - Gold, HHonors - Blue, MLife - Sapphire
View and reflection
What a shot - incredible view!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold 50k, UA, Marriott - Silver, OMNI Select Guest - Gold, HHonors - Blue, MLife - Sapphire
This got me right in the feels.
"I know you feel like you missed a lot while you were in the air, you probably did, and you've told me to reflect on that now that I am a father and growing in my career but I don't remember a single little league game or school recital. I remember wanting to eat this food, in this city, with you. I tried to tell you this before the trip because I didn't want to spring it on you, but thank you for shrinking the world and for fueling my desire to explore it. I could be out the game tomorrow dad, and be OK with it because I had this meal....thank you."
I am especially grateful my parents instilled in me a similar wanderlust; that they encouraged me to be a global citizen to explore and to try and understand other places, cultures. Food is such an important component in that quest to expand your horizon's through new (to you) cultures. As I continue to read this thread, I am inspired to take on a similar journey with my father. Thank you for sharing, @Madone59! I have truly enjoyed following along with this journey with you and your dad - I look forward to each new chapter.
BigJC and somemale like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:05 am

Hi Madone

I must say, I'm rather enjoying this trip report. I find comfort in knowing other people's parents get up to all sorts of antics too...
1P, kevincrumbs and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:01 pm

Months earlier I had booked us on SQ856 hoping to score two first class seats. I had flown this same segment in 2017 when I took a solo first class trip around the world - please excuse the shameless plug for another trip report - knew it was an easy award get and also knew it's where SQ flew their latest and greatest aircraft/ configurations. Because of the new very swanky and small(er) SQ F cabin two seats never opened, so we were "stuck" with business class which was more than great! My dad wanted to be up at out the door early for our 09:55 departure "in case of heavy [Sunday] morning traffic" so my first good night of sleep was interrupted by a 06:00 alarm. No surprise the lobby was empty, as were the roads to the airport.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but your link doesn't work and I was so keen to read it, I found the correct link here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.