Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to The Western Cape - 3 Towns in 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I've stayed at both the Franschhoek Country Inn and the Eendracht and love them both. Your TR really brought back some terrific memories. Thanks!
Ah, I remember we have ‘common’ taste!!
Time for you to return, perhaps?

But “F’hoek Country House and Villas”, please!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the 2.1k ‘reads’, but a few more ‘comments’ would be welcome!!

Anyway, 2 weeks after getting home, we’ve just booked the flights for our return in Nov/Dec ... flying QR LGW-DOH-CPT for the novelty and a decent J-class fare!,

Last edited by T8191; Jan 4, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nice report! Heading to Stellenbosch in a couple of weeks from the other channel island. Coming back on the CPT-LGW, any comments on how the plane was, expecting it to be old etc but I've seen suggestions that it's not hugely noticeable in CW?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giorgio1712
Nice report! Heading to Stellenbosch in a couple of weeks from the other channel island. Coming back on the CPT-LGW, any comments on how the plane was, expecting it to be old etc but I've seen suggestions that it's not hugely noticeable in CW?
The CPT-LGW is bog-standard LGW 777 ... fairly ancient, and CC possibly the same.

Absolutely nothing to say about it other than it's a direct A-B flight with a flat bed.

This morning we've just booked a return for Nov/Dec with QR ... LGW-DOH-CPT, with c. 2h layovers in DOH each way. Not exactly super-cheap, but [for 2] it's £5200 in J ex-JER [separate booking JER-LGW with BA] thanks to Matrix.

Enjoy S'bosh ... we're doing the 3 hotel bookings tomorrow, duplicating CPT18 ... irresistible!!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:04 pm

Great report Uncle T. Mrs rapidex has been looking at your food pictures, and guess where I am off to next winter. Still, much rather that than a cruise.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:23 pm

What a great report, T8191. Beautiful photographs too. Helpful information from posters above. I've been trying to fit in a trip to the Western Cape before the British summer. This has given me some ideas.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:32 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Lovely read and great photos

What is "load shedding" (on the bottom of the Tapas menu)?

Also, how's the water situation? I saw your comment on the multiple shower heads, but then thought that Cape Town was nearly out of water recently!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Great report Uncle T. Mrs rapidex has been looking at your food pictures, and guess where I am off to next winter. Still, much rather that than a cruise.
If it’s an option between watching waves and ‘oh a seagull’ it’s hard to beat!!

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
What a great report, T8191. Beautiful photographs too. Helpful information from posters above. I've been trying to fit in a trip to the Western Cape before the British summer. This has given me some ideas.
Glad to have triggered a thought! It really is a lovely place ... our absolute favourite from everywhere we’ve been.

That’s why we’ve rebooked everything for November ... including our utterly reliable Taxi driver who is based around Paarl/S’bosch ... PM me for his contact details, if you’re interested. He’s run us around the Western Cape for the last couple of years,
rapidex and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Enjoyed reading the report and reminiscing on my own trip to Hermanus a few years ago. Also good to meet up with you in Stellenbosch. All the best.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

My spiritual home, WC, have been there 11x while just turning 42, the combination of landscape, genuine people, weather, decent wines and my fav biltong..great report.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD
Lovely read and great photos

What is "load shedding" (on the bottom of the Tapas menu)?

Also, how's the water situation? I saw your comment on the multiple shower heads, but then thought that Cape Town was nearly out of water recently!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed.

"Load shedding" refers to managing the electricity supply at times of high demand. In this context I assume some kitchen equipment won't be operating. We did notice all our hotel rooms were equipped with candles/matches, but so far they've not been needed by us.

Water situation is no longer critical, but everyone is still being asked to be economical. We passed some large reservoirs on the road to F'hoek and they were noticeably low, with large expanses of exposed lake-bed.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:09 am

Really nice read - thanks very much for sharing.

This is topical for us as we are planning our first trip to a Cape Town and surrounding areas for November this year and have been surprised by the cost of accommodation. Prices in the BA sale are slightly high but I may have to bite the bullet and book it.

A more immediate question though - what did you think of seats 5A+B? I think we are on the same plane type (the 48J 777-200) from Bangkok to Heathrow in April and I have booked the same pair. Would you recommend them?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi, HoneymoonFlyer! Glad you enjoyed reading.

Having yesterday booked our 3 hotels for November, I can detail the prices accurately! Yes, it's noticeable that while many things in SA are cheap, hotels aren't! This is what we've booked - noting that we're usually in expensive rooms/hotels:
Hermanus, Misty Waves ... 4000R/day
F'Hoek, F'hoek Country House ... 4950R/day
S'bosch, Eendracht ... 1980R/day.

Seat 5A/B is our usual option on the 48J version, despite some small negatives: they have the following features:
Aisle access from the window seat (5A) although there's a missing window which somewhat spoils the view!
Quick disembarkation from the usual Door 2L. We're usually first off!
Proximity to the bassinet at 5E may cause a problem, although we've never suffered from it.
Proximity to lavatory/Galley has never bothered us.

Not exactly 'recommended' seats, but IMO the best of a bad lot!!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Hi, HoneymoonFlyer! Glad you enjoyed reading.

Having yesterday booked our 3 hotels for November, I can detail the prices accurately! Yes, it's noticeable that while many things in SA are cheap, hotels aren't! This is what we've booked - noting that we're usually in expensive rooms/hotels:
Hermanus, Misty Waves ... 4000R/day
F'Hoek, F'hoek Country House ... 4950R/day
S'bosch, Eendracht ... 1980R/day.

Seat 5A/B is our usual option on the 48J version, despite some small negatives: they have the following features:
Aisle access from the window seat (5A) although there's a missing window which somewhat spoils the view!
Quick disembarkation from the usual Door 2L. We're usually first off!
Proximity to the bassinet at 5E may cause a problem, although we've never suffered from it.
Proximity to lavatory/Galley has never bothered us.

Not exactly 'recommended' seats, but IMO the best of a bad lot!!
Thank you, very much appreciate the advice. I didn’t know of the missing window, nor did I consider the bassinet in E. We like to be at the front or the back of the cabin and with the front blocked for status holders (we are Bronze/Blue) that leaves row 5 or row 10 (front of the rear mini cabin). I don’t much fancy row 11 directly in front of PE. I’m definitely overthinking this but I suppose this level of obsession is what makes us all succeed in redemption travel!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Great trip report as always. I,ve now read all three of your CPT TR’s in preparation for our first trip there in March.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.