Four Trips, Two Flights, One State

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 5th November 2018 to 15th November 2018

I got word about a trip from Richmond, California to Compton, California. I previously did a trip from Compton to Richmond. I also got word about a trip from Anaheim, CA to San Ramon, CA. I was going to plan so I could take the vehicle from Anaheim to San Ramon over the weekend and deliver in San Ramon on Monday then take an uber to Richmond and do the trip from Richmond to Compton. Alas I learned the northbound trip fell through. I made a phone call then booked an air ticket to OAK so I could still do the southbound trip. Monday the 5th of November came and I got transport to LGB. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 43.5 and 44.5lbs. I cleared security after queue and did not opt out due to time constraints. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 23 minutes.

Southwest #171 LGB-OAK B-737-700
Boarding Pass A60 Seat 22A Cruising altitude 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:58, actual 0:54
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 10h50, actual 10h49 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 4 Scheduled 12h10, actual 11h57 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 28-29 minutes after arrival

I boarded via rear stairs. The plane was full or nearly full. It was announced it was clear and 61F at OAK. Pushback was one minute early and takeoff was to the northwest. I saw Long Beach, Interstate 710, 110, 405 and the Palos Verdes Peninsula as well as the South Bay area. I saw the Marine Layer offshore. At 0:03 I saw Redondo Beach as we went overwater. We turned more north and made landfall at 0:05 over the Malibu area. We crossed US101 at 0:07 and crossed California 118 at 0:08 over Simi Valley. We crossed California 126 at 0:09 and seatbelt sign went off at 0:16 over the southern San Joaquin Valley and I saw Taft, CA. I got pretzels at 0:17. At 0:19 the flight attendant attempted to give me the wrong kind of soda. I asked for regular but was offered diet. I got the correct soda at 0:20. At 0:26 I saw Avenal, CA and the nearby prison. I felt descent begin at 0:29. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 0:31 and it was 63F at OAK. I saw Hollister, CA and the Monterey Peninsula farther out at 0:35. We crossed California 152 at 0:38. At 0:43 I saw Mt. Hamilton with San Jose farther out. I saw the low skyline of downtown San Jose at 0:44 and I saw the southern tip of San Francisco Bay at 0:46. We crossed Interstate 680 at 0:48 and I saw the Dumbarton Bridge at 0:49. We crossed Interstate 880 at 0:50 and I saw the San Mateo Bridge at 0:51. We went over the Bay at 0:52 and we landed south to north and arrived at gate 13 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. After I reclaimed my bags I got transport to the pickup point where the shipper was waiting.

Trip: Richmond, CA to Compton, CA 397 paid miles
Make: 2019 Peterbilt
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 580 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 580 to California 24 to Interstate 680 to Interstate 580 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 210 to California 2 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 710
Highest elevation: 4,144 feet Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern County line 2 miles north of Gorman, CA and one mile south of Frazier Park, CA
Highest diesel price USA: 4.029$ per gallon at Commerce Truckstop Commerce, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.859$ per gallon at Joe's Travel Plaza Westley, CA

After I made the pickup I had to fight bad Bay Area traffic and it took 3 hours to go the first 85 miles. I stopped in Westley, CA for a break and evening rations. Before I left Westley I took on fuel. I continued south to Buttonwillow, CA where I spent the night.

Tuesday I continued south. I headed the rest of the way through the San Joaquin Valley and up the Grapevine. I made a pit stop at the Rest Area in Lebec. Then I stopped in Castaic, CA. While on the downgrade into Castaic, I saw a warning message appear on the dash saying "Engine Derate in 3 hours. Please seek service immediately." I phoned up dispatch in Castaic then I notified the receiver and was told what to do and the warning went away. I proceeded and traffic got bad starting in Burbank. Traffic stayed slow and I got on the 710 south and immediately exited in Commerce to top off the fuel. I phoned the receiver from Commerce. Traffic stayed bad until Imperial Highway and then it was wide open through about Alondra Blvd. Then traffic slowed again and I made it to Compton where I made delivery. Afterward I got transport home and spent the night at home.

Wednesday I learned that the northbound trip I was going to do to connect with the trip I just did was on again and I was able to coordinate that with another trip from Richmond to Compton. I got transport to Anaheim and made the pickup.

Trip: Originated in Anaheim, CA. Initial destination of San Ramon, CA Destination changed to Danville, CA 380 paid miles
Make: 2018 Dodge 4500
Model: Ambulance
Transmission: Automatic
Route: California 57 to Interstate 210 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 580 to Local Road
Maximum elevation: 4,144 feet Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern county line
Diesel price USA: 3.519$ per gallon at Speedy Fuel Buttonwillow, CA

When I made the pickup I learned the destination was changed from San Ramon to Danville, CA. Traffic was bad on the northbound 57 through much of Diamond Bar and it stayed bad through where the 57 and 60 ran concurrently before improving. Traffic was moving well at first on the 210 but came to a screeching halt near the 605 and stayed very slow through Monrovia due to a problem. It took 3 hours to go the first 81 miles to Castaic where I made a pit stop. I stopped in Buttonwillow to take on some fuel due to the burn rate. I also had evening rations in Buttonwillow before continuing north and I spent the night in Santa Nella, CA.

Thursday I awoke to the shocking news of the mass shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. Though I have never visited that establishment I have met an artist who has performed at that venue so the news "hit home" in a certain sense. It was windy and I continued north and made delivery in Danville, CA. I got transport to Richmond, CA where after a wait I picked up the next truck for the trip south.

Make: 2015 Peterbilt
Route: Interstate 580 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 880 to Interstate 238 to Interstate 580 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 710
Highest elevation: 4,144 feet Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern county line 2 miles north of Gorman, CA and one mile south of Frazier Park, CA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.899$ per gallon at Freeway Fuel Long Beach, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.619$ per gallon at Speedy Fuel Buttonwillow, CA

Like the previous southbound trip I fought Bay Area traffic and encountered bad traffic. However I altered my route yet it took 3 hours 2 minutes of driving time to go the first 53 miles. The radio in this truck malfunctioned so I was unable to change the station or change the volume or turn it off. The radio was stuck to some rap station that played music that I considered to be obnoxious. I was glad when I left the Bay Area and left the listening area of that station. I took on fuel and had evening rations in Westley before I continued south. I was not in as good shape timewise as the previous trip. I spent the night in Coalinga, CA.

Friday I smelled smoke from the "Camp" fire in northern California. I notified the receiver I was coming and explained the timeline. I kept in contact when I did my pit stops. Traffic got bad starting in Santa Clarita this time then improved and got bad again closer to Los Angeles. Someone from the receiver stayed to receive the truck so I was not stuck with the truck for the weekend. I got transport home and was home for the rest of the weekend and the next Monday and Tuesday. During the weekend I able to be with my mother as she celebrated her 90th birthday. I then learned of a final truck going from Richmond, CA to Compton, CA so I booked an air ticket to OAK.

Tuesday the 14th of November came and I got transport to LGB. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 43.5 and 44.0lbs. I cleared security after a longer than usual queue and I did not opt out due to time constraints. Both carry ons were given additional screening. Time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 25 minutes.

Southwest #171 LGB-OAK B-737-700
Boarding Pass B10 Seat 22A Cruising altitude 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:58, actual 0:58
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 10h50, actual 10h47 Taxi: 6 minutes
Arrive: Gate 28 Scheduled 12h10, actual 11h57 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 17-18 minutes after arrival

I boarded via rear stairs. It was announced it was 58F at OAK. Pushback was 3 minutes early and takeoff was to the northwest. I saw Long Beach, Carson, Torrance and vicinity. I saw the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Redondo Beach and we went overwater at 0:03. We made landfall but I did not see any smoke from any of the fires in southern California though I thought I saw some blackened hillsides. We crossed California 118 over Simi Valley at 0:08. I got pretzels at 0:11. We went over the south San Joaquin Valley and cruise was announced and seatbelt sign went off at 0:16. I saw Avenal, CA at 0:25 and I saw Coalinga at 0:28. I got cup of soda at 0:29. At 0:35 descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on and it was announced it was 56F and low visibility due to smoke at OAK. I saw Hollister at 0:38 and we crossed California 152 at 0:39 and visibility got worse due to smoke from the fires. I saw Mt. Hamilton at 0:43 and we crossed Interstate 680 at 0:51. Visibility was bad. We crossed Interstate 880 at 0:54 and we landed south to north and arrived at gate 13 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. After I reclaimed my checked bags I got transport to the pickup point and had to wait about 20 minutes for the shipper and the truck to arrive.

Make: 2018 Peterbilt
Route: Interstate 580 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 880 to Interstate 238 to Interstate 580 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 210 to California 2 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 710
Highest elevation: 4,144 feet Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of Los Angeles/Kern county line
Highest diesel price USA: 4.139$ per gallon Pilot Castaic, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.839$ per gallon at Joe's Travel Plaza Westley, CA

After I made the pickup I got underway. I smelled some smoke in the Bay Area. Traffic was bad in the Bay Area but not as bad as the two previous southbound trips. I was glad that the radio was working normally in this truck. I stopped in Westley for fuel and evening rations then proceeded south on the 5. It was still smoky but conditions improved somewhat as I headed south. I spent the night in Buttonwillow, CA.

Thursday I continued south and visibility was poor in the San Joaquin Valley but air quality and visibility improved dramatically once I ascended the Grapevine. I took on fuel in Castaic and fought some bad traffic in the Los Angeles area then topped off the fuel a final time in Long Beach before making delivery in Compton. I got transport home for the weekend to end this tour of duty.
AJO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.